• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Internet Persona and Real Self

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
Today 1:06 AM
-->
Does your online persona portray the "real you" or does it portray who you [want to be/ think you are]?

Does knowing who you are matter?

Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself? Why?

Do you encourage people to use themselves as an experiments to find themselves?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:06 PM
-->
Does your online persona portray the "real you" or does it portray who you [want to be/ think you are]? It's pretty close to the real me, I think.

Does knowing who you are matter? I don't know, it seems like a lot of people think it does.

Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself? Maybe. I don't know. Why do you ask?

Do you encourage people to use themselves as an experiments to find themselves? In what way? I question people to get them to examine their reasoning.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:06 PM
-->
I am.. parts of myself.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself? Maybe. I don't know. Why do you ask?

To me it seems systems like the MBTI system attempt to get you closer to knowing who you really are, but fail to accurately or wholesomely convey that message to people, causing them to instead modify their behavior in an attempt to adjust to the most desirable, suitable type presented. People in general are conforming creatures, in my opinion, and I wonder if under that layer of conformity lies an unique individual. I'm told it's so, but I don't believe it. I'm leaning more towards behaviorism in my approach to the development of personality, that's all.

If we are simply a bunch of humans conditioned to act a certain way, then I want to know if there is anything underneath our learned behavior, any innate strengths, or deficiencies.

EDIT: Maybe that's not all. I also consider myself to be a victim of the molding of personality due to typing systems. Ambling through my school, I kept wondering if the people around me were as clueless as I was about who we are. They sure didn't seem as if they didn't know themselves (they sure as hell didn't know me). Confident in their appearance and social status, they all seemed happily undisturbed by this question. But are they really? I guess the defense mechanisms I read this morning really got me thinking: What am I hiding from myself if anything at all?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:06 PM
-->
Does your online persona portray the "real you" or does it portray who you [want to be/ think you are]?
Hmm... I think it can't actually portray me. I think portraying a sliver of me is more precise.

Knowing who you are is vital for making plans and decisions even though you can't get the whole picture.

No, people change every time and your recorded info and your conclusions simply can't catch up with the changes.

Yes. Although other people's experiences and viewpoints also provide good data.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
Today 5:06 AM
-->

This seems like a philosophy subject. "you" is relative. Behaviors are inconsistent and change depending on circumstances. I'm not sure how you can be fake.

As written above personas are different depending on circumstances. Still I suppose there are disadvantages and advantages, through the self-fulfilling prophesy, to people believing that they know themselves.

Not fully. Personalities change over time and depending on the situation.

I almost never encourage people to do things I don't do. This is one of them. I also don't quite understand how people can use themselves, as an experiment, to find themselves. By this if you mean experiencing new things to find out more about yourself than I'm pretty sure everyone does this to a certain extent.

To me it seems systems like the MBTI system attempt to get you closer to knowing who you really are, but fail to accurately or wholesomely convey that message to people, causing them to instead modify their behavior in an attempt to adjust to the most desirable, suitable type presented.

I am an intp. Or am I just behaving like an intp, because unconsciously I want to be like them? Could I be thinking that, I may not be an intp, because I unconsciously want to believe that I am special, and cannot be defined by a label? Than you go back to maybe I am an intp after all, and keep repeating this cycle.

People in general are conforming creatures, in my opinion, and I wonder if under that layer of conformity lies an unique individual. I'm told it's so, but I don't believe it. I'm leaning more towards behaviorism in my approach to the development of personality, that's all.

There is a trend for non conformity. Meaning there is conformity in attempting to be non conformative. It's only non conformity if it's natural, and not just a product of wanting and attempting to conform. That being said I think individual people are behaviorally random, to an extent, but are statistically as groups/a group pretty predictable.

If we are simply a bunch of humans conditioned to act a certain way, then I want to know if there is anything underneath our learned behavior, any innate strengths, or deficiencies.

Physiological/biological differences? psychological differences (people in the past wouldn't have been able to experience many things possible today)? behavioral differences(people in the past wouldn't have been able to experience many things possible today, which makes some of our behaviors differently conditioned, from people existing in the past, and some of our behaviors different, to those expected of people existing in the past)? All that mashed up together makes up unique.

EDIT: Maybe that's not all. I also consider myself to be a victim of the molding of personality due to typing systems. Ambling through my school, I kept wondering if the people around me were as clueless as I was about who we are. They sure didn't seem as if they didn't know themselves (they sure as hell didn't know me). Confident in their appearance and social status, they all seemed happily undisturbed by this question. But are they really? I guess the defense mechanisms I read this morning really got me thinking: What am I hiding from myself if anything at all?

I used to be one of those people you described. You'll find that most people don't care (well I didn't anyway, when I used to be unbothered by these things). It simply doesn't slip into their mind. I've always had too much thought in my head. All sorts of worries, hopes, ambitions, ideas... Many people have these but not at an abstract level I think. I guess it's common to think or worry about bills, food and your hobbies. But to think about personas, morality, free will, god... probably doesn't occur to most people.

paradoxparadigm7

Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
DelusiveNinja;392606What am I hiding from myself if anything at all?[/QUOTE said:
There is a great deal we're all hiding from ourselves. The life-long process of finding out "who I am" is surely filled with self-deception but through this deception, it brings us closer to who we genuinely are. By the process of elimination and through close relationships, we begin to have some sense of "I".

Does your online persona portray the "real you" or does it portray who you [want to be/ think you are]? It's a portrayal of the real me at the present moment addressing the forum but does not encompass all of me. To know the real me (for myself and others) takes a lifetime and has no end.

Does knowing who you are matter? It's of utmost importance and highly correlated to the depth of intimacy we can achieve or our capacity for intimacy. When we grow, we grow our capacity.

Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself? Why? No, but the process is more important than the outcome and there is no end point. We are constantly in flux...solid but flexible. You can only know yourself at the present but recognize you can expand.

Do you encourage people to use themselves as an experiments to find themselves? Yes. There is no greater journey but it's never done in isolation but what we learn about ourselves in relations to others.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->

Neither. It portrays a persona of my personality/psyche/temperament which lies buried most of the time.

It does to me.

As well as we can know anything. Why not?

What?

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Yesterday 10:06 PM
-->
I try to be as honest as possible. There have been some posts in the earlier days that I don't think reflect me well. Also, all the homoerotic talk is me just joking around. I'm not actually gay. I do appreciate male beauty. (I apologize if I led any one on, But I'm sure ya'll know I be jokin) But even that is how I am IRL.

Absolutely. The existence of self is the most easily known. So to understand the world, knowing ones self is a primary area to focus on.

B]Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself? Why?[/B]
Nope. There are things that you do, and reflect that your perspective can't see.

If I understand the question correctly, yes. That is one of my favorite things to do. It brings me joy to help other people in that way. I think it is my purpose for being here.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->

uhm.. I'm not that great at communicating my thoughts in the way I mean them, so I'd say there's not much of the 'real me' in my online persona. When I write, it tends to come out as almost pure Ti and Si - Logic and stored facts. It's not the friendliest sounding persona, I don't think. I tend to be a lot more playful/comedic in real life, and I care about people a lot more than I come across as on here.

I wonder.. if that's the right question? Don't we kind of create ourselves in large part? I think maybe knowing how I function and why is more important to me, but understanding who I am, my underlying nature and constructed ego, is part of that isn't it?

That's a question I haven't figured out yet..

Yes! What better way to find the self than to construct experiments that bring one face-to-face with the objective reality of their behavior and nature?

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
Although I am much better at carrying on in depth-conversation online, I would say that I am pretty much the same person in real life.

I personally think the abstraction "who" is an illusion because we are the imaginations of ourselves. I guess knowing this gives me an adaptive advantage in various situations.

Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself?
You are who you think you are--so yes.

I may have gave people thought experiments on this site, but not so much in the real world because conversations generally don't go that way in offline life.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:06 PM
-->

Who I am in real life and forum persona are just two aspects to who I am. There are several others...

I always want to learn and improve, so my interactions here are more for that purpose, whereas my interactions in the outside world are merely linked to survival in general. More often than not, I feel somewhat oppressed in the outside world.

I think so. It is important to focus on both the lighter and darker sides; to know them both and accept them as part of human nature. Only then can we truly understand others.

Do you think it is possible to truly know yourself?

I continually ask myself this question.

No. I don't really encourage anything. I go about doing what I do and hope to find like-minded people in the process.

Local time
-->

My online persona does portray the real me, but the real me is accessed in different ways. This access occurs more frequently here than IRL.

Yes.

Yes. Knowing yourself allows you to be more; to fill your potential; to be self-actualized. You'll know when you're there because you'll stop holding yourself back (indeed, you are the only thing holding you back). My box is huge. How big is yours? ;)

Yes.
People in general are conforming creatures, in my opinion, and I wonder if under that layer of conformity lies an unique individual. I'm told it's so, but I don't believe it.
You'd be correct. Not all, but some.
What am I hiding from myself if anything at all?
Or... What are you hiding yourself from?

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
Today 3:36 PM
-->

Part of the reason I post online is to consolidate my thinking mind with my social persona. In real life, you don't get the opportunity to say some things because some conversations just don't happen in real life.

In the beginning I was quite timid online, and wouldn't say many things because of that timidity. As time has gone on, my online persona is almost the same as my real self.

The only real difference is that in real life, I am generally a bit more polite, and speak softly, because people around me can sometimes feel intimidated by ideas like mine being coupled with the presence of a full grown man.

People on their computers don't get a double dose of intensity, so I can expand on ideas or be more forceful in my opinions without making someone cry. (being serious - people have cried or developed complexes when I accidentally dominated them too much)

Yes. Self awareness is critical for all human beings, especially in their development into fully conscious, sensitive, decent ones.

No, because you're the one in the bubble, and therefore do not have all of the information. The only way to know yourself is not only with what you perceive about yourself, but through the eyes of another. All others, actually.

Yes, so long as they have support. The problem with using yourself as an experiment is that if you make too many mistakes (or a few big ones) you can quickly find yourself in emotional quicksand.

If you have sensible, perceptive, nurturing people around you who understand what is going on, that risk is mitigated.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I am.. parts of myself.

Yup, sometimes I am exactly what I am like online sometimes I'm not. Depends on the situation and people I'm around. I am... multidimensional! That said Reflex is pretty similar to his online self when drunk.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
Architect said:
In what way?

I meant through experiencing the things we fear (non-lethal) and analyzing the outcome.

TheHabitatDoctor said:
My box is huge. How big is yours?

I prefer not to answer until defined. Given the context in which you have been using the word box lately, box can mean anything.

Or... What are you hiding yourself from?

Does anyone really know?
That experimental evidence suggests that, as Freud suspected, conscious reasoning makes up a comparatively small part of the activity in our brains, with most of the work taking place where we can't tap into it. However, unlike Freud's unconscious (a hot, claustrophobic place full of repressed memories and inappropriate sexual fantasies about one's parents) the modern unconscious is a place of super-fast data processing, useful survival mechanisms and rules of thumb about the world that have been honed by millions of years of evolution.

Local time
-->
Local time
-->
My online persona doesnt even nearly resemble what im like in real life

Yes. I try to narrow in on this from time to time

Not a chance. My mind is like a rubix cube with an autoscrambler attatched to it. Right when u think uv nearly solved it, it all changes and ur a new person

Im not this clever. The thought never occured to me

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
much more bitchy and doesn't smile and doesn't care, otherwise the same

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:06 PM
-->

I have the opposite problem. My online self represents who I am, whereas my meat space self hides most of what I identify with and think about from other people. I hold a lot back and keep it in my head, I suppose. I've said more here then I will probably ever say to anyone close to me.

It matters insomuch as I am introverted and feel a compulsion towards knowing such things.

Yes, because it supersedes everything we do; thus it's important insomuch as we choose to live. But I don't believe knowing yourself means always being able to know yourself. It won't always and there will be things about ourselves that remain the same, while other things about ourselves will change; and just because something was always the same won't mean it will always remain that way either.

I don't know. People should find their own best methods to adapt to reality and adapt reality to themselves. That's why we make choices; that's why why exists.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

I think a better question would be, "is my online persona the COMPLETE me?" Although realistically, I don't think anyone's complete being ever shows. We just show particular facets in certain contexts, but the whole runs much deeper than the tip that break the surface in a particular context.

A few years ago, I think I was more honest and earnest in my online posting, and typically when people met me in person, I actually had them say, "Wow, you are actually just like you are online."

In most ways, I think I still am, although I think I have a more cynical/sharper presence online now depending on conversation. I allow myself to say things more bluntly at times and care less about having everyone like me. I mean, all of those aspects are still me, but I think I'm easier-going IRL and less apt to get into scrapes.

Then again, IRL, if I don't get along with someone, I don't have to hang out with them either; on forums, people who aren't necessarily on the same page are still sharing the same spaces, and there is little repercussion to conflict (aside from being so severe about it one gets disciplined).

IRL and online, people typically say I'm intuitive, creative, think waaay too much, have a funny sense of humor that can also be deliciously dark, show courage and insight (speak with candor), stable, a good listener, and generally kind and very understanding. However, I can also be very reclusive, careless / missing detail, undisciplined, a little unreadable/unknowable (depending on the person, I don't do well with sensors sometimes), can seem snobby or cold when I pull into myself (usually out of anxiety), etc. I guess that all kind of fits me.

Them knowing, or me knowing?

I think less so for me nowadays with the first, but typically I still want people to "know me" as much as possible. I know some online people who mask everything RL about them; for me, the online world is still a community where I can develop relationships, and the closer I want to be to someone, the more I will open up about things. I want to be known. I just have less compulsive need for it nowadays, now that I've fixed up my life and corrected some things that were really leaving me frustrated and unhappy; I'm more okay with being alone again.

As far as me knowing myself, that helps me in interactions because I'm more aware of what I need to be happy and I have fairer expectations for myself, and it also helps me to cut others some slack too, I suppose.

I don't think you can 100% know yourself, for a few reasons:

1. We're all moving targets. We're not static personalities, we are constantly growing and changing.

2. There is unrealized potential in each of us, both positive and negative, and we won't know about it until we run into a situation where that part of us becomes relevant.

3. We are not omniscient, nor are we conscious of every available context in which to interpret and understand ourselves.

All that being said, I think it's possible to have a good idea of the general aspects of who we each are. I know myself much better than I knew myself 20 years ago, and it has helped tremendously, not only in terms of being "okay" with who I am (including the bad parts) but having reasonable expectations for myself and also being open to others.

I think part of 'finding ourselves' involves experimentation. But I would add the caveat that everything we do contributes to the whole and has an impact on our future. So in the process of "finding oneself," one should make sure they are willing to accept the consequences of the things they do. Nothing happens in a vacuum... even experiments. Manage risk and outcome appropriately, based on your own margins of risk and acceptance.

Reality is Optional

Social Rebel
Local time
-->
1.I think it depends on who you are...but for me? I guess I'm more opinionated on the internet, not because that's how I WANT to act like that, but more because I can't see the other's person's face. I guess people would have to act a little bit different because they are typing instead of speaking; always get to look what you're saying over before you say it.

2.Yes. A lot.

3.For some people...other's just don't think about that kind of stuff.

4.Sure.

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
1. I'm not sure. I'd be interested to know if other people perceive a gap. There's definitely been numerous times where I've gotten well with someone online, but had no rapport in real life.

2. I'd say knowing who you're NOT is important. Otherwise you'll be putting your energy in the wrong places and getting back less than ideal karma.

3. We'll never know who we are, the eye cannot see itself. As above, knowing to some extent who you're not is achievable.

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Today 2:06 AM
-->

Yes. Although, I don't know how you expect me to know the difference between the real me and who I think I am.

I don't think you can divide people by "internet" and "real life". Personas are selected based on circumstances. Real life has many sets of circumstances that can result in different personas. You can even have multiple internet personas. So if one persona isn't real, which one is? If none of them are, is the "real you" even relevant? And what exactly defines the line between them? If I am writing an email to someone in the office, is that "internet" or "real"?

Yes.

No, because it isn't possible to truly observe yourself.

What?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
I'm torn between a mix of Reluctantly's reply and Jennywocky's.

The self-concept I have is more aligned with my written-persona, but I'd have to admit I am all parts of myself. I would rather not have a physical part, but that's an element of it too.*

My online persona became an experiment for me in which I attempted to create a self-idealization and embody it in a... disembodied platform. A place free of restraints where I could artistically treat the creation-of-self as an elegant undertaking. After all, the self is a fabrication/generation of the mind so it can be moulded within certain parameters.

And because the psyche is a feedback-system, as one expresses what one desires to be, one's self-perception (of that idealized manifestation) loops back on itself and becomes the operation of the 'self' until the two are indistinguishable. It is the conditioning/arranging of environment and circumstances to shape you in the way you desire -- because the self is created and transformed continually by the environment.
It matters to me. o.o
I think it may be possible to truly know yourself in the sense of one's intrinsic psychic instincts. In all other senses I don't think we can know ourselves to our entirety because it is like asking someone to know all the digits in Pi. Or to know all of the Mandlebort. A cyclic system like the psyche is not knowable to 100% because it is fractal and always becoming. But there is a finite equation that generates that infinite possibility, and that part is knowable.
I don't find myself encouraging others to do this. It would, however, bring me satisfaction if more people did. ^_^

* Perhaps someday I'll upload my mind and take whatever physical form I desire. The coming age of computerized consciousness will radically change the Concept-of-Self... when we are able to make the physical self whatever we deem represents the inner self. It has, perhaps, already begun in things like Skyrim -- but it will be widespread and common, I suspect, within a few decades.

Local time
-->
Did anyone else find it curious/interesting that the way those questions were phrased made you feel compelled to answer them (so many people including myself answered that 1 post). By extension, am I alone in being utterly uninterested in reading other peoples responce to said post?

I just think it's a very interesting view on human perspective. Mind thinks: *oh this is about me, I bet everyone will be really interested to hear about my view on this, I'd better post something* reader: *how uninteresting, another person posted on the same thing*

Now don't attack me for objectifying this, I objectified myself along with the rest of you in this.

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
Did anyone else find it curious/interesting that the way those questions were phrased made you feel compelled to answer them (so many people including myself answered that 1 post). By extension, am I alone in being utterly uninterested in reading other peoples responce to said post?

I just think it's a very interesting view on human perspective. Mind thinks: *oh this is about me, I bet everyone will be really interested to hear about my view on this, I'd better post something* reader: *how uninteresting, another person posted on the same thing*

Now don't attack me for objectifying this, I objectified myself along with the rest of you in this.

Haha, I like how you're anticipating attacks already :)

I hate when I notice this in conversations too. Sometimes when speaking to a friend I notice that none of us are listening to each other, we are just waiting for each other to finish so we can continue talking about ourselves. I feel awful when noticing this. I think it's natural and bound to happen sometimes but some do it more than others. Those who do it a lot could be labeled as narcissistic talkers, it's a very unattractive trait indeed.

Ink

Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
I always am true to myself, I don't put on a persona. Whether my self shines through through text is another question. Knowing yourself is the most important thing.

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
Today 3:36 PM
-->
I hate when I notice this in conversations too. Sometimes when speaking to a friend I notice that none of us are listening to each other, we are just waiting for each other to finish so we can continue talking about ourselves. I feel awful when noticing this. I think it's natural and bound to happen sometimes but some do it more than others. Those who do it a lot could be labeled as narcissistic talkers, it's a very unattractive trait indeed.

I don't know if narcissism is the reason lots of people didn't start conversations. Personally I read them and thought "oh. okay." - but what are you supposed to do, single a person out and say "well actually, that isn't my perception of you because of this this and this"?

I just don't think it was that kind of thread.

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
I don't know if narcissism is the reason lots of people didn't start conversations. Personally I read them and thought "oh. okay." - but what are you supposed to do, single a person out and say "well actually, that isn't my perception of you because of this this and this"?

I just don't think it was that kind of thread.

You're right. I did not mean to draw a direct line from this thread to actual conversations. I got caught up in another thought. And now I am reading about Conversational Narcissism.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
Does your online persona portray the "real you" or does it portray who you [want to be/ think you are?

I think it reflects part of me, but not all that is me. It's a limited lense you all look at because of the context of what INTPf actually is and represents.

Why wouldn't it?

This is kinda a loaded question. I think it should be pretty obvious given the first question that people don't always see me the way I see myself. Part of this is thinking about how I think I am coming across to other people and trying to balance that against who I really am and saying things I think is good given the context of what this forum is about/represents. I try to be real wherever I go, whatever I do. Being "real" and honest is a big part of who I am. As a Fi dom, I have to stick to what I value.

No, not really. This might also stem from being an Fi dom. I think authenticity is really important and if I am experimenting with things this deters from the natural process of who I am.

baccheion

Local time
-->

I don't talk much in real life, especially at first. I also filter less while online. Otherwise, it's the same.

Not really..

It's possible to know yourself well, though not likely completely.

I'm not sure what this means. I'd usually have to study/test myself to see who I really am.

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 7:06 AM
-->

-a more considered me, only by virtue of being able to edit before posting.

-yes and no, pending what your ambitions are.

-no, i think every organ in the body has a personality and the noise you hear in your head while you live is them vying for dominance, you'll only know that which is currently dominant, which could change multiple times in 1 day.

-no i do not, seems like risky behavior. use research and observation instead.

Top Bottom