• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

interpretation of flynn effect

WALKYRIA

Local time
Today, 16:06
What is the correct interpretation of the flynn effect ?

People are getting smarter and smarter... or perhaps Iq's are rising and rising due to exposure to a more technological, informations loaded environement.
I personnaly see the Flynn effect as the detractor of the IQ tests or at least, it shows that although average IQ is rising, the number of intelligent people/ geniuses is lowering. If a moron Iq lived in the past, he would be- RELATIVELY- gifted.

So Whtthafu** ?

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:06
Wiki says in some developed countries the effect has ceased. Whilst in less developed countries it continues to rise.

Maybe because of increased educational options available to those of developing countries (am getting sick of writing that word), whilst in the developed nations (take that) educational standards are not improving?

Local time
Today, 16:06
What is the correct interpretation of the flynn effect ?
The -ations (information, stimulation) have increased in scope, scale, and frequency, perhaps at an exponential rate. Perhaps the Flynn effect is an example of humanity evolving an emphasis on the collective, on larger levels of organization, as opposed to the individual. Swarm intelligence, I say!
Maybe because of increased educational options available to those of developing countries (am getting sick of writing that word), whilst in the developed nations (take that) educational standards are not improving?
This could be rephrased as "developed nations have less remaining epistemological potential," amirite?
Education is many developed countries is getting worse.
Er uh... By what standards? There are many different models and processes in use throughout the developed world (each specific case study with its own historical context, mind you), which makes more generalized statements really confusing.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today, 11:06
Somehow I am not surprised.
Perhaps you're not surprised because it feels right but is there any evidence to confirm or deny it? Probably evidence for both now that I think about it.

But if I look back on my own experience I would have my doubts. I remember a time in the 8th grade when our class was taken to a room where the school had an actual computer. Whooo-hooo! The graphics were amazing! It could produce green letters AND green numbers on a 12 inch screen!

I was not impressed actually.

Kids today if they're lucky enough to go to a decently funded school, at least the ones I've interacted with over recent years, are far more advanced from kids of my time and I went to a well funded private school from 9-12.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:06
The -ations (information, stimulation) have increased in scope, scale, and frequency, perhaps at an exponential rate. Perhaps the Flynn effect is an example of humanity evolving an emphasis on the collective, on larger levels of organization, as opposed to the individual. Swarm intelligence, I say!
:eek: Education has been commercialized.

This could be rephrased as "developed nations have less remaining epistemological potential," amirite?
Yes. That is a far better way of putting it.

Perhaps you're not surprised because it feels right but is there any evidence to confirm or deny it? Probably evidence for both now that I think about it.

But if I look back on my own experience I would have my doubts. I remember a time in the 8th grade when our class was taken to a room where the school had an actual computer. Whooo-hooo! The graphics were amazing! It could produce green letters AND green numbers on a 12 inch screen!

I was not impressed actually.

Kids today if they're lucky enough to go to a decently funded school, at least the ones I've interacted with over recent years, are far more advanced from kids of my time and I went to a well funded private school from 9-12.
Perhaps it is an illusion that intelligence growth has ceased, when in fact knowledge available to the masses now is considered common knowledge. Whilst back in the day (Your day, centuries ago :D), it just wasn't there.

Top Bottom