• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP and ENTP

Wacomydikid

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:14 AM
-->
Are INTP and ENTP good freind?

Razare

Local time
Today 7:14 AM
-->
Yes. One of my best friends from college is an ENTP. We get along great, conversation comes very natural to us and we have similar interests. They're more social which makes them a great friend for an INTP to have.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 4:14 AM
-->
For some reason (I know this is not true) I always think of ENTP's as our betters...I feel like they have all our creative ingenius qualities and are also awesome people to hang out with. Like the really cool professors at a universtity or something. Or Indiana Jones!

Razare

Local time
-->
Have you met one and become friends with them?

They're not our betters; ENTP's just present themselves better while we usually have more going on upstairs. The ENTP I know is very social and can snag women at the drop of a hat, but when it comes to serious stuff he's always asking for my advice.

The ENTP is also kinda hmmm.... fake? When viewing an ENTP from the lens of an INTP, they're not fake, I think we get along great with them and see who they truly are.

That's why my ENTP friend and I get along so well, I immediately saw through his front facade, to who he truly is. The thing is, he's a better person on the inside, than the person he presents to the world... it's kinda comical actually, to hide the better parts of yourself.

So another friend of mine didn't like the ENTP at all, and mistrusted him because of his outward facade. He saw that he was being fake, just I guess I don't mind fake as long as you're a good person.

Deleted member 1424

ENTP's are very interesting people in my experience. They move through ideas quickly, but are very enthusiastic about them. They always have some new little thing to rave about. I've learned a great deal from the ENTPs I know; they're worthwhile friends.
The ENTP is also kinda hmmm.... fake? When viewing an ENTP from the lens of an INTP, they're not fake, I think we get along great with them and see who they truly are.

I agree with Razare about the facades. They have a tendency to adopt different ones with each person they know. An ENTP once told me that he couldn't hang out with certain people(who weren't necessarily 'bad'), because he hated who he became around them. I suspect this was akin to the INTP chameleon tendency.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 7:14 PM
-->
I've known an ENTP once online (self-professed ENTP at the very least), and another one IRL before.

They do seem fake, and the one I knew IRL was always full of nonsense. The IRL one didn't seem to have great ideas though.

Local time
-->
The land where a merlion is the country's official
The ENTP online friend I have seems to have deep psychological issues, but otherwise, she's pretty much like a very gregarious, spontaneous and rather impulsive version of an INTP. Seems like ENTPs enjoy being AROUND people and tend to have better developed F or N as opposed to the INTP, who actually appear more cold and arrogant. She's very warm, although I think I'm pretty warm too. I'm friendly for an INTP, but the friendliness is rather superficial and stops when I lose interest :$

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
I agree with Razare about the facades. They have a tendency to adopt different ones with each person they know. An ENTP once told me that he couldn't hang out with certain people(who weren't necessarily 'bad'), because he hated who he became around them. I suspect this was akin to the INTP chameleon tendency.
Wow, I can really relate to this. I think this is mainly due to the presence of Fe, which is usually more developed in ENTPs.

Razare

Local time
-->
I just remembered what Perseus gave the ENTP for an animal. I'm pretty sure it was a snake, which really fits them. They're the snake and we're the eagle, because we're above all that stuff going on down there. We don't have to be social, which allows us to be more genuine.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Someone who I'm pretty sure was an ENTP friend of my dads just left, and that guy bores the hell out of me. I should frame it with "he's obscenely smart, by most peoples' standards"--IQ in the 150s, been on and won numerous game shows, etc. When he starts talking, my intuition gets overwhelmed almost immediately. I think it wouldn't be a huge problem if I could remember exactly which philosophers said what, and what the US founding fathers wrote, etc, but when I have to stop and think about it, or when I ask and he doesn't give enough of a summery of what they said for my Ti to sink into, there's nothing to make it "stick" and I've forgotten that philosopher by the time he goes on to talk about another one.... which is extremely fast, because he bounces around a lot.

Unless his arguments were in writing, I couldn't even begin to analyze them. I'd listen to him talk for 25 minutes, and think to myself "has he even made a point, yet?" I'm not sure if I'm just too dumb to follow what he's saying, or if he really is just talking about stuff that he's read recently and not really saying anything at all.

The other problem that I sorta had is that I'm not really sure if he listens at all. Even if he's asking a very direct question, I could only get out about a sentence or two--not even answering it, but just barely setting up a premise or two which comes in handy later--and then he would latch onto one of them with some related idea, and proceed to talk for 25 minutes about it's philosophical roots, what it was later used to argue for, etc. I'm not sure if he's just obsessed with seeming competent in his area, or his mind isn't content to sit still, but it's irritating when talking to him.

That said, he's been here most of the day, and only just left... so I'm obviously filled with more frustration for ENTPs than I actually feel most of the time. Usually I think I feel like they walk the line between annoying and interesting. er... like most extroverts, lots of fun in small enough doses, but I couldn't live with one consistently unless they had lots of other friends to soak up some of that relentless assault of information, or if their areas of study were the same as mine, so my Ne wouldn't have to work overtime trying to understand them.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->
oh...i feel stupid now.

@Crypt: That dude sounds kind of arrogant.

Edit: Stewie from family guy is an ENTP. He seems pretty fake to me

Razare

Local time
-->
Well, I don't think I could put up with an ENTP that was smarter than me. That would be annoying, because they'd rub it in. Least the one I knew would... in a very subtle but devious way.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
Today 11:14 AM
-->
ENTPs are fun to be around to an extent, but I actually feel like most of the less intelligent ones would just come off as smart ass ESTPs (NOT fun). I'm an ENTP, but actually more of an eNTP, since I walk the line between extrovert and introversion. I think that INTJs are actually better equipped to put up with the Ne 'bouncing'.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
yeah, they are. I agree.

I also think you're right, Toad. I talked to my ENFP friend a little bit later on that night, and he said he wished he could have been there sooo badly. He assured me that the ENTP sounded like the type of guy who was purposely trying to overwhelm people and sound smart (I described him in better detail, since it was over the phone and I didn't have to type every little thing), and said he loves picking on people like that. I should mention: the ENFP's intuition is absolutely staggering as well--but when he gives me a bit too much Ne to handle, he'll stop and explain the parts I'm missing again, and stuff like that. He basically said that the guy hit an area he knew stuff about, and ran with it to try to lose his listeners--and I tend to trust the ENFP when it comes to understanding people.

So... I dunno. He's probably not the best example of an ENTP, or anything.

Local time
-->
The land where a merlion is the country's official
This made me mentally giggle, because I'm similar.

Hahaha!

Me too. Unless I'm interested, I'm just nice so people will be nice to me.

I get annoyed when my Fe family members call me arrogant when in actual fact, I'm just being... meritocratic in the... expenditure of my energies, while my Ti brother doesn't find anything wrong with my attitude.

Does it happen to you guys too when you're around Fe/Fi people who are always taking offence to you?

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Hahaha!

I get annoyed when my Fe family members call me arrogant when in actual fact, I'm just being... meritocratic in the... expenditure of my energies, while my Ti brother doesn't find anything wrong with my attitude.

Does it happen to you guys too when you're around Fe/Fi people who are always taking offence to you?

Usually, I am very careful to be nice and compromise when I can around those kinds of people. Because of the energy spent in doing this, I spend as little time as possible with them. But from the way they treat me, I can't help but think they see me as arrogant. However, part of that may be because I have drastically different strengths than they do.

I'm an advocate of meritocracy when it comes to relationships too.

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
Usually, I am very careful to be nice and compromise when I can around those kinds of people. Because of the energy spent in doing this, I spend as little time as possible with them. But from the way they treat me, I can't help but think they see me as arrogant. However, part of that may be because I have drastically different strengths than they do.

I'm an advocate of meritocracy when it comes to relationships too.

Aaah, life would be a lot simpler, and more bearable, if more people treated relationships as a meritocracy. Sadly, most don't.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Aaah, life would be a lot simpler, and more bearable, if more people treated relationships as a meritocracy. Sadly, most don't.

Except, of course, it would be less bearable for the people who always have the lowest composite scores - i.e., the outcasts.

Most relationships irl are already too meritocratic for my liking. Most people want a quid pro quo in some form. Friendships are perceived as investments; the popular receive more because they always have more to give.

EDIT: Oops, I just realised this post is out of point. But it's still relevant (marginally) since ENTPs are often more easily liked by others than INTPs.

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
Well, it often seems like the most popular people don't necessarily "deserve" their admiration. What I mean is that popular E types don't typically invest a lot of time and energy in any one relationship. Rather, they superficially apply themselves to a large number of people. I's prefer one-on-one relationships with depth. Thus, I's can easily feel frustrated when their substanital investment in a relationship, platonic or romantic, is not reciprocated by the E who is too busy making another friend.

Staying true to this thread, this is why INTP's become frustrated with ENTP's. We share similar perspectives, and thus, we connect effortlessly. The problem arises when the ENTP inevitably loses focus on the conversation he's having with his I friend, and turns his attention elsewhere.

If this sounds like jealousy, that's because it is! Still, the problem is real.

Enne

Local time
-->
Hahaha!

Yes. I have an ISFJ... friend... who has some undercurrent of resentment toward me. She spends a lot of energy attempting to conform to whatever social expectations surround her at the moment, to the point of changing her major several times trying to find the one that would please her father. I just feel like she has this tendency to place people in boxes and gets unnerved and 'righteously' irritated when people do things that "their type of person" doesn't / shouldn't do. So a lot of our social interactions consist of her trying to rein me (and any other NT female) in.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 8:44 AM
-->
One of my best friends is (most likely) ENTP...he can be a bit of a pushover sometimes, but I've gotten used to it :p. He's a really nice guy at heart, but a lot of people think he's just strange (well, I do too, but strange in a good way). It's always fun to talk to him, because then he always talks about very ridiculous stuff/how to implement it/crazy ideas that get my mind going. It's...refreshing to talk to him, but he does seem to have a penchant for one-upmanship...he's still a great friend, though.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 12:14 PM
-->
Edit: Stewie from family guy is an ENTP. He seems pretty fake to me

I wouldn't use a fictional character as an example for how one type is.

I have a cousin, who is a few years younger than myself, who is ENTP. It's really fun to talk with him and share crazy ideas about all sort of bullshit.

Last week, I also met an ENTP (probably) who is slightly older than myself and we also got along perfectly. There was absolutely no awkwardness and no questions while we were together.

Now, what I experienced a few weeks ago:

I was on vacation and we were usually a group of 4, sometimes 5 people, including myself. I felt extremely comfortable in this group, maybe because the others were all introverts (except one maybe :confused: ). As a result, I talked a lot more and basically transformed into an ENTP, also using a lot more Ne as usual.

Enne

Local time
-->
Well, it often seems like the most popular people don't necessarily "deserve" their admiration. What I mean is that popular E types don't typically invest a lot of time and energy in any one relationship. Rather, they superficially apply themselves to a large number of people. I's prefer one-on-one relationships with depth. Thus, I's can easily feel frustrated when their substanital investment in a relationship, platonic or romantic, is not reciprocated by the E who is too busy making another friend.

Staying true to this thread, this is why INTP's become frustrated with ENTP's. We share similar perspectives, and thus, we connect effortlessly. The problem arises when the ENTP inevitably loses focus on the conversation he's having with his I friend, and turns his attention elsewhere.

If this sounds like jealousy, that's because it is! Still, the problem is real.

If your ENTP friend is spending time with you and divulging their crazed ideas w/ you, then you're probably a highly valued friend to them. The 'flitting' is most likely a natural response as an extrovert. Since extroverts like having a broad circle of friends, or friends that reflect their various tastes, interests and moods, you've probably been 'bookmarked' under a specific purpose or aspect of himself that he enjoys fleshing out when he spends time with you. The different people reflect those different parts of themselves, especially with someone with a lot of Ne boucing around who wants to explore it. I'd assume that each class of extroverts has their own reason for keeping broad circles, but NTs probably do it to gather information from other people in various contexts.

SEELE01

Local time
-->
oh...i feel stupid now.

@Crypt: That dude sounds kind of arrogant.

Edit: Stewie from family guy is an ENTJ. He seems pretty fake to me

Fixed.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 12:14 PM
-->
One more thing I'd like to add. The ENTP I met recently claimed that so far he has had 4 really good friends. He always had a large circle of friends, but his mother said he actually was always a loner.

SEELE01

Local time
-->
For some reason (I know this is not true) I always think of ENTP's as our betters...I feel like they have all our creative ingenius qualities and are also awesome people to hang out with. Like the really cool professors at a universtity or something. Or Indiana Jones!

HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER

:elephant:

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Well, a friend of mine just took the MBTI, but the online version which may or may not be accurate he took it at a rather stressful time). The more I think of it the more I could see it. I always thought he was a J type though. Way more organized and tedious than a P type is usually.

Anyway, we do get along. He fidgets quite a bit and seems to enjoy interruptions. He's nice to talk to one on one. He's not very argumentative. At least not with me. I would picture him more as an Introvert.

A Reasonable Facsimile

Asleep in the poppies.
Local time
-->
Being an ENTP is fairly cool, especially if you know (as I do) that you are one.

My best friend is an INTP. I definitely think that he is my intellectual superior, and I trust his thoughts on most issues. My discussions with him are entirely intellectually stimulating.

The facades we put on are... entirely unintentional. I think that I've only ever been truly myself with my NT friends. I think that, because of the facades, ENTPs have the capacity to be annoying or overbearing. Sometimes I catch myself on a 'rant', excitedly talking about my latest obsession, sometimes jumping around from topic to topic in a way that confuses others. This is due, I think, to the ENTP's capacity for finding patterns. Finding something to compare in anything (say, an apple to a dishwasher, or a musical phrase to a particular Roman emperor) comes naturally to us.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
I've always thought ENTP'S had the power to be uber-sexy.

I mean, they've got all the messed up dark intrigue of the INTP, but they can actually communicate, and put their inner-workings on show for us all to admire.

For this reason they must die, or be subverted to the lowly status of 'friend'.

Keep your betters where you can see them I say.

:)

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
See their corpse, you mean. :p

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->
I thought we had a rule... all lycra super-hero suits to be checked in at the door!!!

Local time
-->
I wouldn't mind meeting one of these supposed ENTP's, or even just a personality type that doesn't suck. I am too negative for most types to see past it, too intellectual for non-NT's. SP's and NF's are probably the only other types I remotely get along with anymore because I like the artistic/creative types and some of them can appreciate my abstractness. I'm not that knowledgeable about the different personality types though just observations based on my current level of knowledge. If they were okay with weed smoking I suppose some SJ types may not be so bad....good luck find those though, society's blind enforcers. Feed them bullshit and lies, say its the truth according to the masses and watch them go!

A Reasonable Facsimile

Asleep in the poppies.
Local time
-->
Another thing about the "personas" that ENTP's put on when with different people... none of them are insincere. We find it possible to have alter egos (a good example is Kevin Barnes, who can sing through his alter egos entirely naturally, without coming across as an actor or a poser), and to live through them.

Also, I've been waiting for an excuse to use the following emoticon, but alas, I am impatient. So, here goes:

:storks:

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 5:14 AM
-->
I just met an ENTP in real life, she's pretty cool, but she's entirely unargumentative with me, mostly because I think she agree's with me most of the time, we can have some interesting discussions. She strikes me as a introvert, but I've only hung out with her and her best friend, they're both supposedly e's (The one is an ESTJ, but she's literally like 55/45 all across the board, so not sure what that means). Both kind of strike me as I's though, each having only each other as real close friends, and everyone else being distant acquaintences from there. Then again, I may just not know them well enough yet.

They do the whole chameleon thing too though right? So maybe when she hangs out with me she tends to behave more introverted due to me being introverted.

SEELE01

Local time
-->
Another thing about the "personas" that ENTP's put on when with different people... none of them are insincere. We find it possible to have alter egos (a good example is Kevin Barnes, who can sing through his alter egos entirely naturally, without coming across as an actor or a poser), and to live through them.

Also, I've been waiting for an excuse to use the following emoticon, but alas, I am impatient. So, here goes:

:storks:

I agree with this in regards to the facades however with me their is a 60% chance Im just putting on a social facade and a 40% Im just messing with you and acting strange to see your reaction.

And while were on the topico f emoticons Ive always wanted to use

:king-twitter: :rip: :borg:

I still dont understand how any of these are supposed to work in conversation WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Enne

Local time
-->
Twitter: Describing a leader who is doing little for those around them; 'sitting pretty', and presumably is ignoring some major crisis in doing so

ex: "Work today was terrible! Our supervisor is so useless. The fax machines were down, and all she could do was :king-twitter: in her office, refusing to be of any use, or even call the IT guy downstairs!"

Segen: Used in discussion involving the value, or lack thereof, of a topic, item or idea that is no longer relevant

ex: Cate: I want it to turn out just like Jane's wedding

Sue: Cate, let it rest, you're obsessing over a year old party!

Cate: yeah, lol :rip: but the flowers were gorgeous! zomG!!1

Borg: Used as a conversation / sentence 'endcap' to pronounce the lack of humanity / emotions, or other 'touchy feely' things regarding any conversation topic, usually used in respect to a (cold) person

ex: Our professor is giving an exam on 12/24, just so he can stick with his material presentation-exam schedule cycle of EXACTLY 5 weeks. :borg: Oo

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I've known an ENTP my whole life and yes I think there is a lot of manipulation involved when dealing with an ENTP. The one I knew LOVED to manipulate people and discover how they ticked just so he could push their buttons. It was funny from the outside really. When he tried to do it to me I'd just look at him, raise an eyebrow and say "bullshit". He would laugh till he couldn't breath every time. I sometimes wonder that he kept me around just so I could catch him in the act.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Being an ENTP is fairly cool, especially if you know (as I do) that you are one.

My best friend is an INTP. I definitely think that he is my intellectual superior, and I trust his thoughts on most issues. My discussions with him are entirely intellectually stimulating.

The facades we put on are... entirely unintentional. I think that I've only ever been truly myself with my NT friends. I think that, because of the facades, ENTPs have the capacity to be annoying or overbearing. Sometimes I catch myself on a 'rant', excitedly talking about my latest obsession, sometimes jumping around from topic to topic in a way that confuses others. This is due, I think, to the ENTP's capacity for finding patterns. Finding something to compare in anything (say, an apple to a dishwasher, or a musical phrase to a particular Roman emperor) comes naturally to us.

I'm going to derail here for a second:

Do you, as the ENTP I know, believe that we are all a figment of your imagination? He's been going on about that for years and I wonder if it is an ENTP thing...I keep asking him to imagine me with lots of money and free time but he said that would be "too easy". I need to give him something harder to imagine I suppose.

Now we can be back on rail again:

I actually really enjoy the topic jumping. It's kind of like an intellectual cat and mouse game or hide and seek. He jumps and I try to come up with something witty and related as quickly as possible. It can lead to some pretty weird free association on my part :D.

A Reasonable Facsimile

Asleep in the poppies.
Local time
-->
I'm going to derail here for a second:

Do you, as the ENTP I know, believe that we are all a figment of your imagination? He's been going on about that for years and I wonder if it is an ENTP thing...I keep asking him to imagine me with lots of money and free time but he said that would be "too easy". I need to give him something harder to imagine I suppose.

Now we can be back on rail again:

I actually really enjoy the topic jumping. It's kind of like an intellectual cat and mouse game or hide and seek. He jumps and I try to come up with something witty and related as quickly as possible. It can lead to some pretty weird free association on my part :D.

Hmm... I've never seriously considered the idea that people are part of my imagination. I must admit, though, the idea that somebody is imaginary is scary to me. I can't tell you if that's a common ENTP trait or just regular crazy. :P

I don't think my INTP friend minds the topic jumping either. INTPs and ENTPs are so similar though... a good chunk of our actions and motives are indistinguishable.

Top Bottom