• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP and sports?

Adamastor

Local time
Today 6:36 PM
-->
I'm curious. I'd like to read about some of your opinion, your experiences about sports...

I've never been close to sports... Probably because no one in my household was, I had, of course, tried a few (i.e was obligated to, because trying it is "healthy"). But I got the feeling that I've never experimented the satisfaction of practising some sport as I did last year... Maybe because of my competitive nature and the feeling of starting to do something I am not good at, I've been for about two year quite the karate addict and its getting worse :eek: I've been spending a GOOD deal of time with it and it is lots of fun and, for a change, useless though, setting a goal in (aiming for) national competitions and such.

Maybe this is just a phase, I've been trying quite a deal of radically different things and this one in special seems quite benefic to me. Did something similar happen with you guys?

Local time
Today 5:36 PM
-->
martial arts is probably one of the best physical activities an INTP can get into, sadly I am very under-trained but I have a great handle on many of the concepts

the 2 factors holding me back
1)the financial aspect
2)pure laziness

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 3:36 PM
-->
I absolutely adore playing basketball and tennis, and soccer (futbol) to a lesser extent. I'm pretty into sports.. mostly because I'm adequately athletic and I enjoy the exercise. I want to pick up some sort of martial art in the next few years, I was thinking about Ju Jitsu or Karate.

Local time
-->
I like the idea of Aikido, in a sense you make your opponent look like a complete ass by turning all moves they use against them and look like you do nothing. Have not had any training in it though.

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
I believe sports and exercise are not only beneficial, but are vital for one's mental and physical health, particularly INTP's. Sports promote "in the moment" awarenesss that we often lack. The spontanaeity and physical exertion beautifully balance our intropective side.

It's interesting to note that the ancient Greeks believed strongly in the this mind/body balance. Unfortunately, for most of Western civilization, we have tried to segretate the two, usually promoting mind over body. This not only doesn't make much sense (how can your health and vitality be trivial?) it's unnatural.

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 7:36 AM
-->
I absolutely love sports, there's nothing like playing and being in the zone, in addition to the constant self-improvement and analysis that sport allows for. I like this, from wikipedia, about Albert Camus, shows that sport is not just for brutes:

Camus was once asked by his friend Charles Poncet which he preferred, football or the theatre. Camus is said to have replied, "Football, without hesitation."

Looking forward to hitting some golf balls tomorrow, that or a sail on the harbour.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 7:06 PM
-->
I like practicing martial arts and fencing; I find that they're pretty good for discipline, and help keep me (relatively) in shape. My favourite team sport has got to be soccer-baseball (yeah, I'm still a kid at heart)...

I definitely think that exercise is good for mind and body, too. I always seem to be more creative after I exercise...considering that I usually exercise in the nighttime, this usually leads me to have an overactive mind when trying to go to sleep (which is annoying, because I can't get to sleep, but great, because my mind seems to function so much better)...

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 11:36 PM
-->
I'm a big football (soccer) geek and won even some tournaments. I was (mildly) talented but too slow and too lazy about training. Also, I soon found out that I was better at being theoretical.

Niels Bohr was a soccer player too by the way. His brother, also a scientist and soccer player, made it to silver at the olympics 1908 in London with the Danish national team.

Adamastor

Local time
-->
I like the idea of Aikido, in a sense you make your opponent look like a complete ass by turning all moves they use against them and look like you do nothing. Have not had any training in it though.

Agreed. The idea seem very attractive, but if you think about it seriously it is very unlikely, I mean I too I am qutie de undertrained, but the environment I train in is very good I got a solid idea of what an average people can do, what a high level competitioner can do and what a real practicioner can do (One of my masters does not compete and he is a REAL monster). I have to say this last one is less usual.

I relate about being theorical, maybe because unless I am detached/focused relying on my body instinct is rare, it happens a few times specially in a competition. what is normal, I think.

Funny thing, I really enjoy training I'm sure everyone who has taken some kind of martial arts finds how impossible is execute the fundamentals perfectly, meaning training is lots of fun (quite frustating sometime times, but fun nonetheless).

Banana Mango:
in addition to the constant self-improvement and analysis that sport allows for.
Indeed.

Jenn

Local time
Today 10:36 PM
-->
I like the idea of Aikido,

I trained in Aikido for 2 years. Not nearly enough! Unfortunately since moving away from the town where I studied Aikido, I don't really have any viable options for training.

I also fenced a bit in college, and I wasn't bad at it, but I stopped because I didn't like getting poked.

In general, not a fan of sports at all. I stay active by using the elliptical while listening to talk radio on my iPod.

Morel Panic

Revenant
Local time
Today 4:36 PM
-->
I go biking for a few hours about every other day in the summer; for exercise, scenery, and to organize my thoughts. I really wish I had a chance to do martial arts though.

Local time
-->
I only took martial arts for a few months(tae-kwon-do for a year through my high school, new class, easy elective for senior year) I'm not much a fan of that particular art as its more for show but it's still a martial art, I use my body a lot more efficiently ever since, still a largely undeveloped area I'd like to work on

Morel Panic

Revenant
Local time
-->
Has anyone here ever thought of doing free running or parkour (look it up on wiki or youtube if you don't know what it is). It seems like the sort of sport that requires a lot of detailed living-in-the-present type skills, but it also supposedly requires a lot of focus and a good mind body connection. If that isn't enough, it's also wicked cool looking! :cool:

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I live next to the American river so i usually bike along there, it's really peaceful. I bring along my iPod and there's plenty of time to think.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I played American football in college and loved it. The team/locker room culture was interesting to observe if not a little unnerving but the practices and games were great times for me. It does require being in the now (which I needed to work on) and throwing everything you have into it. Since then I haven't engaged in much except disk golf on occasion, most of the jobs I held were tiring enough physically.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:36 PM
-->
I love to play basketball, soccer, and tennis.

I also practice parkour, which is similar to some of those other disciplines some of you mentioned, however it focuses on flight over fight. It is all about efficiency of movement.

YouTube - Extreme game of Tag (Parkour/Free Running)

there is also free running, which is similar to parkour but more free form, and is more about self expression....like graffiti of the body.

YouTube - Parkour & Freerunning - Crazy Jump 100%

I was thinking about Ju Jitsu

This sport?

picture.php

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
I used to love street hockey, basketball, and tennis. When I find myself playing I generally do well naturally. One thing I've never really understood was the competition of it. I want to say that I only competed against myself. I had a hard time caring enough to take the ball away from anyone.. but when I got it I enjoyed doing artful things with it.

Banana Mango said:
in addition to the constant self-improvement and analysis that sport allows for.
Yes.. that about sums it up.

I also like to juggle. As a kid I would always ask for weird stuff for christmas.. like a pogo stick and stilts.. for the same reasons.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
As a kid I would always ask for weird stuff for christmas.. like a pogo stick and stilts.. for the same reasons.

A unicycle. Which I could never learn to ride. A scar I still bear.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
I got one for christmas one year and I was all excited until I found that it was impossible for my height at the time. Or it simply bested me; I can't remember. It was promptly returned. :o

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 11:36 PM
-->
I love martial arts. It's probably my favorite sport.

Mondorius

Oh..?
Local time
-->
Hmm, sports. I always liked doing sports, but I hardly ever bother to. I should do more often, but I lack the discipline to do it on my own. I simply can't practice regularly unless I subscribe to something, at which point I feel like I HAVE to go because I'm supposed to and/or paid for it.

I quite like badminton. Used to play it with friends during lunch time in highschool, was decent at it. I like walking/jogging/running too. I can walk for hours without getting tired or bored.

Strangely enough, while I was young, I was rather scared of getting injured. But ever since I tried rafting, I can't get enough adrenaline. Facing my fears. I'd also like to try parachuting, even though I'm rather scared of heights, hehe.

I'd also love to try some martial arts. Many mentionned Aikido, and I have to say, I'm also interested. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I dislike conflict, and since Aikido, from what I understand, is mostly based on turning the aggressor's attacks against them, and I think that suits me just fine.

Other than that, I've been doing yoga on and off and I must say it has done me much good. Helped me get a better feel of my own body, concentrating, calming down, relieving stress and overall being aware of myself in the here and now. I've also been to a Tai Chi centre last week-end and it has been an amazing experience, although I did not particularly like Tai Chi in itself. But it has made me develop my balance at an alarming rate. I've always had troubles with that, but after trying that, it feels like I'm firmly anchored now.

Brett

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've always struggled with aversion towards hard work. It's something I detest about myself. I find that I continuously put myself in positions where I'm forced to work hard or suffer consequences. I grew up in a small enough town that you could play any sport you wanted without have to make the team. I participated in at least a couple years of American football, basketball, baseball, track, and wrestling through high school. Football was the sport I excelled at. I also struggle with discipline and people telling me what to do, so I joined the Marine Corps out of high school for 6 years. After my commitment to the Marines was complete, I went to college and played American football again for my first 2 years of school (at least 5 of my former teamates played in the NFL). Teamwork, discipline, working hard, and respecting authority are not natural strengths of mine. I've tried very hard to put myself in positions where I would be forced to develop these attributes. After 33 years of a painful and difficult life, I'm little different in these aspects than I ever was. I still have little discipline coming from within.

severus

Local time
-->
There are a couple sports I like. However, I'm not naturally good at them, and I'm not willing to put in the time and effort to improve. Which usually leads to me quitting after a season or two.

I played soccer a lot when I was little, but when the other kids started to actually get good at it, I quit. I played roller hockey in my early teens, sucked at it, and quit after a single season.

Now I'm in saber fencing. I'm not completely horrible, and I like how the "practice" is actual fencing, as opposed to drills. I do feel like I HAVE to go to each session, which makes me really anxious about it. But, once I'm there, I'm okay.

I've never really been interested in martial arts.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Tomorrow 12:36 AM
-->
There are a couple sports I like. However, I'm not naturally good at them, and I'm not willing to put in the time and effort to improve. Which usually leads to me quitting after a season or two.

I played soccer a lot when I was little, but when the other kids started to actually get good at it, I quit. I played roller hockey in my early teens, sucked at it, and quit after a single season.

Now I'm in saber fencing. I'm not completely horrible, and I like how the "practice" is actual fencing, as opposed to drills. I do feel like I HAVE to go to each session, which makes me really anxious about it. But, once I'm there, I'm okay.

I've never really been interested in martial arts.

I used to be an épée fencer for 10 years;) I was one of the best in my country because of my height and because I'm left handed. But too much training made my one leg to have too much pressure resulting muscles being huger on one leg that another, therefore having lots of pain in one leg, that was one of the problems why I left..... I would like to go back, just for fun, I'm too old to get to professional level again.

Local time
-->
I just tried golfing for the first time yesterday and it was nice. I think golf is an excellent INTP sport.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I like a few sports.. tai chi with and without a saber (it's nerdly, I know), dance, and badminton.. well they aren't manly sports, but I am a girl after all.

Local time
-->
I hate dancing but I don't mind watching females dance:p I am a male though. Only played it a couple times in high school but badminton was fun. You can beat the crap out of that thing and it barely goes anywhere:) I pretty much like all sports except for basketball and swimming isn't all that enjoyable for me. I don't mind doing other fun stuff like inner-tubing or boating and stuff like that though. I can't stand basketball for some reason. I don't really like all the constant running back and forth with soccer either. I ended up taking volleyball and yoga for my 2 physical requirements in college this semester. My other choices being swimming, basketball, or general PE. screw that.

Adamastor

Local time
-->
@Yellow

I would like to try tai chi soon.
Never had any interest in badminton though.

@Invoke Ninja's True power
Is gold really that appealing?

Local time
-->
I prefer silver to gold

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I started enjoying sport the precise moment that it stopped being something I was forced to do in school.
At the moment when I can be bothered I'm just doing cycling and a bit of weightlifting. Though I seem to gain an impressive amount of muscle for a relatively low amount of work. I think if I ever take up a sport seriously it would take me little time to reach a high level

Local time
-->
sports are no fun when it is forced

Infinite Regress

Local time
Tomorrow 7:36 AM
-->
Wow
Must be an INTP thing to be attracted to martial arts!!!
I've been practicising MA since I was 12 - in Wing Chun. Great use of leverage and body mass to generate power in a short amount of space and time. It has scientific and technical underpinnings which I think most INTP's would appreciate.

TheKnack

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I enjoy running, cycling (road and mountain), soccer, and football.

Running and Road cycling is about solitary suffering and pushing myself to the limit.

Mountain biking is about adventure, fun, and pushing my limits.

Soccer and football are about competition augmented by external intuition. By this I mean that I have a habit of "knowing" where a pass is going to go, which way the goalis is going to lean, etc. and being able to act on that intuition to give myself a competative advantage.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Tomorrow 5:36 AM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
I hate playing sports (hate the "playing" part). However I have sit for hours to research strategy for my friend's football team so I'm not so much of hating sport but rather hate the physical aspect of it. When I do play, I always push it to the limit of the rules for my advantage, and people always get annoyed with it, so it's better not playing.

I like martial art too, but mostly from reading books and imagine how I execute the move.

Have you tried rifle and archery? It might be fun for you since you don't like the competitiveness of other sport and prefer to rely on skill than strength (since you like martial art).

Also, another things you might like is to conceive new sports by writting rules book, then played it with friends. It can help you finding sport that fit your preference more.:angel:

Berkeley

Local time
-->
Parkour... Parkour.

I love it. I have been doing it for about two years and it has given me so much. There is a complete philosophy behind the movement. In videos, yes, you see us run and jump and such, but there is so much more that it so difficult to understand unless you actually train the discipline and talk to more experienced traceurs. It has been said that martial arts are training for the fight, as parkour is for training the flight.

There are unlimited movements that can be created, and it makes you so much more bodily aware. Look at my pictures on my profile, I put just a few pictures up.

Oh, but I have been playing sports for as long as I can remember. I started with soccer. I sucked at it though. Then I moved to hockey, and that is a sport that I am pretty confident I could have gone pro at if my parents didn't take me out of it my freshman year of high school. That sport was more natural to me than anything. And the funny thing is that I didn't even realize I was so good until I looked back at it in reflection (I had tons of trophies and even two leading league scoring trophies) Then I played football and wrestled in high school. I was a league champ in wrestling. Then after high school I had nothing and it was wierd. Then I found parkour and it was amazing.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
As others have said before me: martial arts. I haven't studied seriously in about 7 years now, sadly. At my university the offered a karate class. I took it to fulfill my phys ed requirement. I was shocked to find that the world grandmaster himself was the one who was teaching the class :eek: While he only had us to kicks and punches (basic stuff) it was still an unforgettable experience, hanchi himself. Ok enough gushing.

When I do play intramural type sports, I always tend to think outside the box. Come up with new ways to defend that guy in basketball, running the right plays to break up the defense or any unconventional strategies. Be the wildcard, the ace in the hole.

Now however I am getting back into lifting weights. Not only is it physically straining but mentally as well, and who could forget the boost of confidence you get from looking and feeling better!

RandomAspects

Lost at Sea
Local time
-->
Martial arts is one of the favorite things I've done, even though it's been 7 years since I've done it. I had done 2 1/2 years of Kuk Sol Won as a little kid.

I did PE during the summer to get out of having to do it with my other classes, so I ended up doing 6 hours of sports and running each day Monday-Friday, inside and outside, even in the rain and 100 degree weather.

Like Yellow, I personally found badmintion lots of fun (maybe because I was going against 3 people at the same time, though). Tennis has to be my favorite sport of all. I tied for top spot in my class over the summer, which must have surprised some people, considering I'm so short.

Yodon

Local time
-->
I study Eagle Claw kung fu and i love it , i dont know why but ever since i was little i have been attracted to martial arts , i did karate when i was yound for 8 years then tried some jujitsu , taekwon do and tang su dao , i found an awesome kung fu school in my town tho and i will study it forever now here

JimTaylor

Local time
-->
I love American Football and Basketball. I am 6 feet 5 inches or 197 CM, so basketball comes relativly easy to me. I also played both from when I was 7 tell high school and just fell in love with both sports. I still play once a week with friends from my University and it is just nice to get that physical activity. Also basketball is nice because you don't have to have somebody else to be able to play. Just go find a basketball court and shoot the ball, while pretending you are a superstar. lol

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
I started enjoying sport the precise moment that it stopped being something I was forced to do in school.
At the moment when I can be bothered I'm just doing cycling and a bit of weightlifting. Though I seem to gain an impressive amount of muscle for a relatively low amount of work. I think if I ever take up a sport seriously it would take me little time to reach a high level

I am vegetarian and so weightliftings not an option for me. Still, I am the best martial artist there is (maybe not, but someday:rolleyes:

Top Bottom