• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP Drug and Alcohol Tolerance

AquaTron

Local time
Today 3:32 AM
-->
So, after a substantial amount of whiskey I had this idea. Because INTP's and other types that tend to "detach" and observe situations does it make us seem to have a higher tolerance to alcohol and other drugs? Right now I can feel my body is "intoxicated," yet my train of thought remains constant. Although it is perhaps seeing the world through a different lens at this moment I feel normal internally. Anyone else feel this way?

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:32 PM
-->
I have never consumed alcohol to the point of complete oblivion as I prefer to be in control of my own mental and physical faculties. However, when I have been drinking a lot (I could drink up to 6 pints in one night, plus shooters -- and I'm a petite female) it never reached the point where I was so sloshed I'd still not be hyper-aware of my own conduct. It's weird; like one part of you is running a different show and the other 'sane' part is keeping close watch. The next day I would always be quite paranoid that I had said something stupid, and would go through the whole drunken night conversation by conversation. I've now stopped drinking as it gradually made me more and more depressed.

Actually there was an incidence where I made the mistake of drinking Whiskey at home with my rather wild ENFP younger sister -- we drank half a bottle each as I did not notice she kept topping up my glass as we were talking. The last thing I remember is us taking stupid photos of ourselves and posting on facebook -- we removed them instantly the following day.....although the following day started with my sister spewing in the kitchen sink and me waking up fully dressed in my nephew's bunk bed and then rushing off to work, still drunk. It was not a good day...and the last time I touched Whiskey :ahh:
I now stay away from any other drugs as they seem to have very little effect on me -- so what's the point? Pot makes me paranoid, so no joy there. I've had Psychopsilocybin-like trips during meditation though...that was pretty amazing.

Beowulf

Local time
Today 9:32 AM
-->
I for one think it makes sense on paper that internal thinkers would have a higher mental tolerance to intoxication but in real life i feel like we just get lost in our thoughts easily and are just as susceptible as everyone else. Atleast that's my experience with intoxication with weed and drinking which is why i don't do either anymore.

I actually started because i never did it and i wanted to see what it was like smoking and drinking on a daily basis so i devoted my sophomore college summer to that. I found out the following. First and foremost the highest priority in my mind always seemed to be "don't lose control". I always wanted to make sure I much i could control my self mentally while under the influence. But as i drank and smoked more i noticed that there was always a point(obviously it took more alcohol and weed as my tolerance built up) were i would lose control and just start thinking all these random thoughts. Then my priorities would shift from "dont lose control" to "don't forget this and that".

This happened with both alcohol and weed but i do feel like i had more mental control with alcohol then weed. Nonetheless after summer i just concluded that neither were to my liking enough for me to be a daily smoker or drinker. Even in moderation. Today i would probably just smoke and drink if it was a special occasion but other then that no thanks.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
When I am drunk, I don't know whether I am overcompensating self-criticism or actually making more intellectual and attention-focusing mistakes.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
It's a semantic matter, you aren't more tolerant per se but your high base level of social inhibition means it'll take more alcohol for you to become socially uninhibited than it would for someone whom in a sober state isn't particularly inhibited socially. But when it comes to the other effects you'll get those the same as anyone else.

In any case if you're going for alcohol stay clear of ethanol. Dat shit is metabolized into poisons, there are better alcohols out there for you to get drunk on, ones that don't turn to poison and wont leave you hungover.

Under toxicity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol

Of course the good alcohol is typically illegal which is typical.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 1:32 AM
-->
Like Polaris I'm not really eager to lose control of myself to drugs, but I am curious about my own tolerance. I've smoked marijuana and drunk alcohol but don't recall feeling any different, which I guess could be due to high tolerance or low quality stuff. What you said about social inhibition, Cherry Cola, is interesting though.

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->
Intoxication is biological. We have enzymes, like alcohol dehydrogenase, that regulate metabolism of alcohol. Cocaine binds to dopamine transporter proteins in our brains, preventing re-uptake. While our personalities do effect our biology by controlling our actions and thus what our bodies are exposed to simply having a specific type of personality will not prevent intoxication (unless one is a drug addict or alcoholic and has a substantial tolerance). Behavior while intoxicated is a different thing altogether.

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->
In any case if you're going for alcohol stay clear of ethanol. Dat shit is metabolized into poisons, there are better alcohols out there for you to get drunk on, ones that don't turn to poison and wont leave you hungover.

Under toxicity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol

Of course the good alcohol is typically illegal which is typical.

The references in the article are unreliable. I'd be really careful. And NO methanol. Just because tertiary alcohols don't get oxidized in the liver doesn't mean they aren't metabolized elsewhere.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
Isn't methanol what makes you feel shitty after a few hours of drinking, and ethanol the driver of the pleasurable feeling?

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->
Methanol will make you go blind. It's used as an ethanol denaturant to render it unfit for consumption and thus avoid ethanol taxes, amongst a jillion other uses.

Ethanol is not metabolized to methanol.

I'm pretty sure one can get drunk from methanol... It's just really going to fuck some shit up.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 3:32 PM
-->
I get royally fucked up and fail to remember anything. Then I surprise myself the next day while going through my phone and asking around.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
The references in the article are unreliable. I'd be really careful. And NO methanol. Just because tertiary alcohols don't get oxidized in the liver doesn't mean they aren't metabolized elsewhere.

The entire section under toxicity isn't based on unreliable sources. The sentence which mentions two types of non-poisonous alcohol has this for a reference:

Chemistry and Physics for Nurse Anesthesia, Second Edition: A Student-Centered Approach: 9780826110435: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51W5sVZ2kvL.@@AMEPARAM@@51W5sVZ2kvL

Seems pretty reliable. Ofc never consume methanol.

AquaTron

Local time
-->
I have never consumed alcohol to the point of complete oblivion as I prefer to be in control of my own mental and physical faculties. However, when I have been drinking a lot (I could drink up to 6 pints in one night, plus shooters -- and I'm a petite female) it never reached the point where I was so sloshed I'd still not be hyper-aware of my own conduct. It's weird; like one part of you is running a different show and the other 'sane' part is keeping close watch. The next day I would always be quite paranoid that I had said something stupid, and would go through the whole drunken night conversation by conversation. I've now stopped drinking as it gradually made me more and more depressed.

Actually there was an incidence where I made the mistake of drinking Whiskey at home with my rather wild ENFP younger sister -- we drank half a bottle each as I did not notice she kept topping up my glass as we were talking. The last thing I remember is us taking stupid photos of ourselves and posting on facebook -- we removed them instantly the following day.....although the following day started with my sister spewing in the kitchen sink and me waking up fully dressed in my nephew's bunk bed and then rushing off to work, still drunk. It was not a good day...and the last time I touched Whiskey :ahh:
I now stay away from any other drugs as they seem to have very little effect on me -- so what's the point? Pot makes me paranoid, so no joy there. I've had Psychopsilocybin-like trips during meditation though...that was pretty amazing.

I also prefer to be in complete control and therefore don't go past my own limit. However, my limit seems to be past where other, more outgoing people start behaving drunk. I actually recently had an episode where I couldn't remember a thing past a certain point.
The people I was with were old friends from high school, and we were playing drinking games. I kept getting handed shots and beers, and didn't want to say no. From what I heard I ended up going on a golf course with no shirt, taking the flag and throwing it while yelling "javelin!" The only thing I remember is I took my shirt off to swim. What boggled my mind is how I put my socks and shoes on and not my shirt? Also I woke up in some random bed at my friend's house after getting up in the middle of the night from the couch and throwing up, then moving to his brother's room. All I remember from that is looking in the mirror sometime in the middle of the night. I also wasn't aware we had walked almost 2 miles from the house we drank at, with me doing cartwheels and handstands along the way... I don't even know. I definitely felt really stupid the next day, and upset I had part of my memory of the last night missing. I spent all day analyzing that.
Anyways, I liked what you said about one part keeping watch and the other running the show. That's how I feel when I'm drinking socially, I've split my attention between the two. I'm more outgoing, and at the same time really cautious of what I say or do.

Also, I'm interested to hear how you had those trips during meditation.

------------------

Then my priorities would shift from "dont lose control" to "don't forget this and that".

At the end of my first semester at college I experimented with weed. First time I felt like it heavily boosted my Ne. Everything around me was absorbed into my mind. Then I had a conversation with another student, and talked to them about all the subjects they were taking. I saw the books at their feet, and they didn't realize this and were a little shocked at how I knew. We still had a deep discussion which was every now and then interrupted by "are you high?" to which I would reply "...no..."
As I smoked more and more I was used to it and would go about my day normally while high all the time. I believe many people I knew at that school only saw me when I was stoned. I was always told I was pretty much the same when I was high. Internally I had more appreciation for art, music, movies, and always found more humor in everything. I remember looking up particle physics one time after smoking a bowl with a friend. Then I showed him some commands he could use in MATLAB.
As you said though, I would have to remind myself of everything. I often forgot many small things I needed done, and some important stuff as well. That's why I quit smoking. I also stopped drinking except for occasionally. Since its summer now thought it's been every other day. Why not? I limit myself to 3, 6 if I feel like having more.

----------------

It's a semantic matter, you aren't more tolerant per se but your high base level of social inhibition means it'll take more alcohol for you to become socially uninhibited than it would for someone whom in a sober state isn't particularly inhibited socially. But when it comes to the other effects you'll get those the same as anyone else.

You put it perfectly.

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->
Edit: I posted something while drunk. It was rude. It's been edited away.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
As Cherry Cola said, I think maybe it's harder for INTPs to show that we're drunk/stoned etc. Or perhaps INTPs resist intoxication more than other types, if that makes any sense. I've personally found that I require significantly more of a substance than most people for me to feel its effects, but I'm really not sure if it's connected to type at all.

SW

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->
The entire section under toxicity isn't based on unreliable sources. The sentence which mentions two types of non-poisonous alcohol has this for a reference:

Chemistry and Physics for Nurse Anesthesia, Second Edition: A Student-Centered Approach: 9780826110435: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

Seems pretty reliable. Ofc never consume methanol.

The references for intoxication by alcohols other than ethanol aren't. Those were the only ones I looked at.

P.S. Sorry for insulting nurses. I don't remember posting that.....

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->

SilentStorm

Local time
Today 4:32 AM
-->
I believe that INTPs are able to control themselves better while intoxicated. I could drink more than my friends and still be acting completely normal while they're acting crazy. I can even walk a perfectly straight line while I'm wasted (this has been confirmed by sober people, it's not just me thinking that I'm walking straight.) I think how you act on alcohol is directly related to your thought process, for example, if you're an introverted thinker then you can act completely normal on alcohol, whereas just about any extrovert will be acting like a stereotypical drunk person.

But I'm the opposite with marijuana, I can't handle it as well as any of my friends. When I smoke a lot of it then I always start to get paranoid about stupid things. Thinking that I'm going to die from weed or that I'm going to get arrested. Then I come down and realized I was just being stupid. Every time I smoke it like jumpstarts my mind and I start thinking ten times as much which is usually what leads to the paranoia.

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
An INTP on alcohol should be an outgoing, friendly, emotional mess who projects secret fears into the crowded party room and stands out only because he may occasionally be gobsmacked by the collision of feelings and thoughts pounding his head from two directions.

I always found it easier to mingle, people found me easier to be around, a good time was had by all and sometimes we'd go on adventures like stealing an outhouse.

There is a myth INTPs have a tendency toward alcoholism. Not exacly. Drinking starts out of frustration with the whole damned f ing world; drinking makes it easier to take and also paints a layer of surprise (for the drinker) over otherwise mundane events. It can be a powerful pull, but it is not a chemical addition. I believe U.S. Grant was an INTP drunk

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:32 PM
-->
AquaTron said:
Also, I'm interested to hear how you had those trips during meditation.
Hmm, hard to describe -- it's sort of personal, but I'll try :o

Derail spoiler:

I have always been capable of extreme focus, ever since I was a child.

In my early twenties I started getting severe anxiety and occasional panic attacks, which were like the worst paranoia trips I have ever experienced. I didn't trust that I wouldn't jump out a window, or have a breakdown on the bus on my way to work. Also, paradoxically (as I would normally do anything to avoid people) I wasn't able to be alone in my own company. I was afraid something bad would happen, as if I couldn't trust myself.

So I forced myself to go to work, in spite of being paranoid of having a breakdown in public. Being around people and having the responsibility for their well-being forced me to direct focus elsewhere, and I was thus able to function normally throughout the day.

When I got home, however.....back to hell on earth.

So, in all this torment as to why I was going through this, I had this sudden realisation that I was somehow able to disconnect from anxiety during moments of concentration at work; why wouldn't I be able to do this alone?

I found a book on meditation and started reading some techniques, and decided to employ these techniques as often as possible. I used my ability to focus and was then able to disconnect from the anxiety when being alone, for limited periods of time.

After some weeks of practice, I was able to employ this state of being more or less as a constant; it gradually became second nature and the anxiety faded more and more into the background. It didn't disappear, it just became less dominant, so I was able to override it.

I then decided to push myself even further by starting a regimented fasting regime, in which I meditated for hours every day. During the first week of fasting I got really ill. I had flu symptoms, a fever and I felt nauseous all the time as my immune system was able to kick in and clean up. I was dragging my feet to get to work.

However, after a week I noticed a peculiar change. I suddenly felt energised like I never had before. At work, I noticed I was sharper than usual, and I was filled with this constant sensation of something I can only describe as joy and wonder. My energy seemed limitless. The only problem was I was rapidly losing weight.

I curiously observed this change and decided to see how far I could push it. I ended up fasting for 20 days. I wanted to keep going, but by that time I was forced to stop because I started to look like I had anorexia, and my physical self would probably have started to shut down eventually.

During this time, I had some very intense meditation experiences. I think because my physiological processes were not being interrupted by processes to do with excess nutrient uptake (I was following a fasting regime from a well-known detoxification book written by a nutritionist), I experienced unusual clarity of mind. It was like I had no mental or emotional blockages -- there is no other way to describe it.

During some meditation sessions I would sink into concentration for hours at the time. At many points throughout these sessions I had some mind-boggling experiences. It was like I was seeing the world and the universe through unfiltered lenses. My mind was wide open, and I let every impression come and go on its own accord. What I perceived can only be described as a connection between me and the rest of the world. Actually, to be more precise, there was a sort of obliteration of the idea of Me; like I dissolved and merged with all matter, and was thus travelling through all matter and seeing and understanding everything at once. It was like I was granted an understanding that would otherwise be highly inaccessible.

Sorry, but I fail to find words that will reflect what I experienced....this all just sounds so trippy-hippy, new-age like :mad:

It changed me, that's all I know. I had acquired a strange calm and a feeling of perfect balance. I would observe the most trivial of objects and find incredible fascination with them because I saw the beauty of systems from an inside perspective; the complexities of all objects became highly conspicuous.

I am still able to retrieve these memories quite vividly, so the experiences stay with me. I have chronic depression, so this has become invaluable during the regular setbacks that I've learnt to live with.

Ixoziel

Local time
-->
So, after a substantial amount of whiskey I had this idea. Because INTP's and other types that tend to "detach" and observe situations does it make us seem to have a higher tolerance to alcohol and other drugs? Right now I can feel my body is "intoxicated," yet my train of thought remains constant. Although it is perhaps seeing the world through a different lens at this moment I feel normal internally. Anyone else feel this way?

Really depends on the type of drug. I have a very high tolerance to some things, but I feel the effects of opiods very easily. I can take a pill and get pain relief / feel fantastic, while my friend will need 5-6 to feel good. I doubt it has much to do with your personality type, it probably has to do more with your neurological make-up(I have ADHD), your gender, your weight, your BMI, what kinds of food you eat, and the acidity of your stomach.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:32 AM
-->
It seems like a silly idea to me. Drug tolerance is a purely physical and habit matter, I don't see how Type would have any affect. I'm a lightweight with alcohol, always have been because I don't drink it much. Anymore more than a beer will put me to sleep. But I tried smoking when I was younger and wasn't much affected, I could easily take it or leave it.

If you want to bring Type into it a dominant Se type would be more likely to handle their liquor/drugs than an intuitive, because being sensation seekers they'd be more likely to consume it and have tolerance. Most Se dominants I know are like this, while most of the intuitives I know are not big drug consumers.

Red myst

Abstract Utilitiarian
Local time
-->
I would expect S types to have a higher tolerance towards alcohol and drugs than N types. I would also expect N types to be more likely to experiment with state of mind altering drugs, and S types to be more into party feel good drugs.
I personally am a lightweight when it comes to drugs and alcohol. Or at least a lightweight in comparison to some of my high school buddies. But I was also the type who spends a lot of time in my own head in comparison to others. I am a heavyweight in comparison to my wife, however I would classify as an SJ type who never went through any experimental phase. I think it's because of the J. Either Te or Fe. Coupled with Si, that keeps her values that she was raised with intact. Half a beer of beer or wine every now and then. So my low tolerance is not from lack of trying. And hers was never really tested.

ana

Ana
Local time
-->
as one with many SA issues
i must say
i always feel in control of myself-even when im beyond a doubt intoxicated.
my mind is always present. and that never changes-unless im black out high. im not sure about then, but i do know that i went to school after taking 12 mg of xanax, and got every question on a psychology test correct. and all of my sober classmates failed. so obviously i dont become stupid.
but when im hugh, or drunk, or whatever, i still am logical, knowlegable, i dont lose sense of my actions, although i lose sense of my feelings. i will become cold and calculating, and i have many a time injured myself severly just because i wanted to see how long it was until i felt pain in that state.

i also once asked a friend (whom i know is dumb) what the square root of pi was, because i was out of my mind high and i determined that if she gave a stupid answer everything would be alright.
and then of course, i explained to her why i asked and what the correct answer is.
*shrugs* :storks:

Top Bottom