• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP humor

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
Yesterday 11:56 PM
-->
I have noticed that NT types have a blunt,objective, often brutally honest sense of humor that often gets us in trouble. Does anyone have any stories to relate to this?

I'll start. About 2 years ago My husband cut his hand on our table saw while my children and I were at church. We come home and I notice a message written in sharpie marker on the dining room mirror. It said "cut hand have to go to hospital." I read it and thought "funny, funny Brian" and dismissed it thinking he was just joking again. Well I then go into the kitchen to fix lunch and I notice large drops of blood on the floor. These drops had the "coffee stain" effect to them because of the way the blood was clotting in each drop. This usually happens in traumatic injuries. Well when I saw this I thought "perhaps he did cut his hand" so I follow the drops of blood into the garage where the table saw was. I looked on the table saw and saw blood, then I noticed it on the wall and even on the ceiling so I thought "perhaps I ought to call him", so I get my phone. Before I can dial out, the phone rings and it is Brian. I can tell by the tone of his voice that he is okay, so I decide to cheer him up with a joke. Now here is where I get in trouble. My joke is "It's great that you got to the hospital by yourself But, Brian, you got blood on the carpet". That's when I heard him inhale deeply and in an instant I knew where he was and what he was about to do. You see the "E" in his ENTP personality makes him want to play to a large audience, the larger the better. He inhailed so that he could project his voice to as large an audience as possible when he gave his reply to my joke (being that he was calling me at the nurses station because cell phones are not allowed in the ER, this audience was quite large). He then said, loudly, "Well I'm sorry honey. The next time I cut my hand on the table saw I promise I won't get blood on your carpet." Touchet, I had been gotten. I then had to spend the next 3 hours in the ER with a bounch of people who thought I was the worst insensitive bitch the world had ever known. And naturally, (and much to his enjoyment), he played into this for as long as he could get away with it. It was pretty funny.
This is what happens when two people have a strange sense of humor that very few people understand.

tmtaylor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
off the subject but are you still in houston?

and can you swim

Last edited by a moderator:

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
I live way out of any storm surge area so scuba gear will not be necessary.
Basically we are sitting around the house, bored out of our minds, (hence the reason why I am spending so much time on the forums today) waiting for the hurricane to arrive. Occasionally we tune into one of the local panic news stations that are doing 72 hour coverage of the hurricane, but so far we haven't seen any news reporters get knocked off their asses or walloped by a huge chunks of debris, but there is still hope.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
I live way out of any storm surge area so scuba gear will not be necessary.
Basically we are sitting around the house, bored out of our minds, (hence the reason why I am spending so much time on the forums today) waiting for the hurricane to arrive. Occasionally we tune into one of the local panic news stations that are doing 72 hour coverage of the hurricane, but so far we haven't seen any news reporters get knocked off their asses or walloped by a huge chunks of debris, but there is still hope.

LOL! A fellow Houstonian! Waiting for one of those reporters to blow away like a leaf in the wind is the only real entertainment we get during a hurricane!

tmtaylor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I think you should find a newsman and just start screaming that fema and the government isn't there to help maybe claim your house is being looted

tmtaylor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
ps is living in houston just like the movie urban cowboy

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
ps is living in houston just like the movie urban cowboy

It probably was like that in the 70's (I was born in '74) but not anymore for the most part. Houston is actually an extremely international city in many parts. It's an interesting mix of all sorts of things. Although the part of the city Urban Cowboy was filmed in might still be a little like that, but I don't get over that way often.

Other parts of Texas on the other hand......

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
Earlier today a reporter almost got knocked down and swept out to sea by a giant wave that had crashed against the Galviston sea wall. Unfortunately he had quick reflexes. oh well. Next time they should hog tie him.

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
Today 12:56 AM
-->
I think the only time I have really, at least almost, gotten into real trouble in high school was for my sarcastic humor that showed up. I am too ashamed to even talk about it over the net, but let's just say I didn't mean any harm and thus owned up to my mistake right away and all ended with me writing a long-winded apology letter with $15 bucks from my pocket to remove any hard feelings. Sometimes overly sensitive people really piss me off.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
Yea, you have got to be careful who you deliver these jokes to. I have an old dog that smells bad and is about to die (old age). When we went on vacation we gave our neighbor who was watching our dogs instructions on how to care for them and as an afterthought we wrote "oh by the way if the old dog dies don't worry about it.". We thought this was pretty funny, she spent the week hoping and praying she didn't come in one day and find a dead dog.

tmtaylor

Redshirt
Local time
-->
How did you Houstonions fair in the storm

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
went through a drive through once with a friend of mine. i acted like i was his kid while he ordered, and he pretended to yell at me so that the person taking the order could hear him. i remember i said something like "i don't want onions on my burger dad" and he said "you're getting onions, ok?" turned to the window and said "make that extra onions on that burger".

this was several years ago. we thought it was hilarious.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:56 AM
-->
I had a classmate, who always told, that I have no sense of humor (it`s not my fault, that most of their jokes were lame!), but, when I was joking, she got offended and yelled at me.

(If you want to hear a lot of jokes coming from me, then make me watch a soap opera.)

Death

..still alive
Local time
Today 4:56 AM
-->
I had a classmate, who always told, that I have no sense of humor (it`s not my fault, that most of their jokes were lame!), but, when I was joking, she got offended and yelled at me.

(If you want to hear a lot of jokes coming from me, then make me watch a soap opera.)

Strangely enough,most of my classmate get my joke,and not usually offended by it.For example,

Me : Who 's your favourite fictional character?
ISFJ friend : Mickey..blah...blah...,what's yours?
Me: God.
ISFJ friend: *Laughs* He's not fictional,he's real.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I made a joke to one of my Latin teachers about Ancient Greek pederasty. He was talking about how the Greeks were more "modern" than the Romans in the sense that they didn't have the manly macho-man view of manliness, so he was saying, "The Greeks didn't mind men getting pampered, or wrestling naked with eachother..." and I interjected, "Or oiling their bodies for their erastai," and he replied, "Let's not go too far into the specifics." Of course, no one else in my class has any idea what an erastes is, so it was a private joke.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
This has nothing to do with INTP humor but to answer tmtayor's question, we got through the hurricane ok. It could be a few weeks (possibly) before we get electricity. The hurricane spawned a tornado that broke and tangled up God knows how many trees up in the power lines that go to my part of the neighborhood. Everybody around us has electricity but we live in the rehlm of darkness. We bodgerred a few things and can get on the internet at home.

vic

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 9:56 PM
-->
to the OP,

for some reason i do find this kind of humor hilariously funny (although it really is not a laughing matter).

HOwever i am surrounded by people who seem to be more "normal" than me. Everytime I make a joke like that, they consider myself either morbid, sarcastic, or emo. It kind of sucks, but maybe I do have a sick sense of humor :)

Thomas Young

Banned
Local time
-->
Why's that? I'm curious to know I usually create alternate senarious when I'm watching a junk soap opera usually something violent and un called for, or something sexually aggressive... hahaha!!

My sense of humour is quite cruel I have to say. Put it this way, I find an angry cat or dog hilarious especially when the person continues to antagonise it. I shouldn't laugh at things like that but I can't help it.

ElectricWizard

Local time
Today 12:56 PM
-->
I prefer to just scrawl sarcastic comments on crappy books like 'Eragon'. I mean, it's an easy target, but it gives me my share of fun for the day. Seriously, maybe I'll be able to auction these things later. Perhaps as paperweights?

tfa1

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 10:56 PM
-->
My father and I (both INTPs) have rather perverted senses of humor. My favourite quote of his, for instance, is "Incest: A game the whole family can enjoy."

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
My father and I (both INTPs) have rather perverted senses of humor. My favourite quote of his, for instance, is "Incest: A game the whole family can enjoy."

i don't know, my sister is kind of young. i wouldn't wanna be a pedophile. then again, grass in the field, play ball, right? no grass in the field and you can always play in the mud.

Kronos Zul

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Honestly, I laughed at the blood on the carpet joke.
Although I seem to be nearly three weeks late.

I giggled at the Incest/Pedo jokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
Yesterday 10:56 PM
-->
I have dropped the sarcasm (mostly), but I still find these jokes funny.
The erastai! :D

Taylored

Local time
-->
The story you tell reminds me of a joke my wife (an ESTJ) plays on me with regularity. When ever I raise my voice in opposition to something my wife has said in public she will quickly apologize saying, "yes sir, I am sorry sir." Then everyone around thinks I am an abusive husband.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
Ooh, I'll have to tuck that joke away in case I ever get married.

My humor is mostly sarcasm or making obscure references that somehow make sense to other people.

I also do a lot of sound-effects to amuse myself or others...I really can't describe them over the net without the aid of a microphone. .__.

My sister and I have a habit of looking at each other funny when there's a weird sound nearby. Restaurants are prime examples. Every time we hear something weird, our eyes get huge and one of us makes a face to mime the sound. Our faces are pretty flexible, so that makes it better.

kellimaier

Local time
-->
It's high in the middle and round on both ends...o
My sense of humor usually goes over pretty well...even if people are shocked a bit at the things I don't mind saying....or my sometimes weird slants on things.
Best time ever is with a grocery clerk I see regularly. We insult each other...he accuses me of stealing detergent. i accuse him of pocketing from the register. He tells me I am stupid for my purchases. I reply he is stupid for his choice of job. We call each other names, and say one another is mean and cruel and rotten. Always said with complete seriousness but neither of us has ever doubted the other is joking.
Another friend today was with me to buy a car from my Uncle's car lot.
The sign clearly says no smoking in the office...but it was after hours and so I was smoking. My friend ...a definite E...possibly ENTP..he says F...I dunno.
Anyway he walks into my uncles office and shouts "It says no smoking bitch!"
Uncle is bright enough to not say anything. I thought it was funny.
I guess a lot of females would be insulted. My sense of humor is weird I suppose. My Mother would be appalled.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
My kind of humor is connecting things people usually don't see a connection with, and saying humorous/snide remarks at the right time and place. To others, this is especially funny since they don't see it coming from me since I look so "somber". Just because I don't laugh at your humor doesn't mean I don't have my own humor...

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 3:56 PM
-->
My kind of humor is connecting things people usually don't see a connection with, and saying humorous/snide remarks at the right time and place. To others, this is especially funny since they don't see it coming from me since I look so "somber". Just because I don't laugh at your humor doesn't mean I don't have my own humor...

Sounds familiar to me. I have two INTP friends irl (one is Kumori on this forum), and I like messing around with really esoteric references to inside jokes.. best fun.

And I really don't get it when people laugh because I laughed at something, or made a joke. Everyone (except those that actually know me) thinks that I don't have a sense of humour. Yet most of the time, I think they don't have a sense of humour. I keep most of my jokes to myself though, probably because only a select few would understand them / find it funny.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
do you guys ever find yourselves laughing when someone does something characteristic of themselves? This has gotten me into trouble with sensitive people a few times, where someone acts so similarly so often that I develop expectations for how they're going to act, then they follow them and I laugh, almost as if to say "you would do that." It takes a lot of work to convince people I'm not actually laughing at them (and sometimes I can't at all), but the jokes I find funniest are just people acting themselves.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
do you guys ever find yourselves laughing when someone does something characteristic of themselves? This has gotten me into trouble with sensitive people a few times, where someone acts so similarly so often that I develop expectations for how they're going to act, then they follow them and I laugh, almost as if to say "you would do that." It takes a lot of work to convince people I'm not actually laughing at them (and sometimes I can't at all), but the jokes I find funniest are just people acting themselves.

all the time

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
I showed my family (INTJ ISFP ESFP) this video (YouTube- D. P. Gumby - My Brain Hurts!) and they did not laugh a single time. I. on the other hand, was literally rolling on the floor and crying the entire time from laughter. After watching it upwards of 20 times, it still makes me laugh endlessly.

I also showed them more Monty Python videos, and they didn't laugh at all :(

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
I can't understand people who don't understand Monty Python. My stepsister and her husband just don't get it. By the way, My favorite Monty Python skit is Gumby flower arranging.

One of my all time favorite movies is "office Space". Again, my stepsister and her husband just don't get it.

Have you ever seen the Black Adder series? It's more British humor. You will laugh your ass off.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
I'll have to watch that. Sarcastic humor and dark/macabre/utterly insensitive humor is well within my abilities and they're often the only kinds I use. I like weird stuff, though: that bit from Monty Python's Meaning of Life where they're looking for the fish (the bit with the guy in make-up and a corset and the elephant-thing) is, possibly, my favorite bit of a movie EVER. It was jut so completely unexpected and so weird.

I didn't think I used blunt humor. But I described the poetry we study in English recently as being about people getting shot or about metaphors for people getting shot. It made a friend of mine laugh. I don't know if that's a commentary on her or me... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Blackadder III was the best one, but the 'this is adding' part of that one episode in season II was good too. I love Blackadder.

EloquentBohemian

MysticDragon
Local time
-->
I can't understand people who don't understand Monty Python.
Neither do I. There are skits of theirs, and most Holy Grail, I can quote verbatim. Humour is subjective, I suppose.
Have you ever seen the Black Adder series? It's more British humor. You will laugh your ass off.
Love Black Adder:D, though I prefer the first and second slightly over the third.
I thoroughly enjoy British comedy shows, such as Fawlty Towers, Yes, Minister, Vicar of Dibley, Red Dwarf, Keeping Up Appearances, and Are You Being Served?, over some of the American sitcoms.
Many American sitcoms were based on British shows. All In The Family was based on Till Death Do Us Part and Cosby was taken from One Foot In The Grave.

jamez345

Redshirt
Local time
-->
aI have this problem all the time. I try to make light of an issue and someone takes it completly the wrong way and screams their head off at me. Its a big problem at home to :phear: people also label me as "weird" because i like things like farts. I mean i fart and everyone around me is gagging and saying "James! Jesus christ..." I mean who doesnt find that funny. in fact im laughing writing about this (remembering the time i farted in class it filled up the room and the hallway - i almost got written up to :()

perkins_o1

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I can usually find a joke in most things. People think I'm wierd because I crack up about at seemingly innapropriate times. I guess they don't process the situation the way I do. I find many things ironical. People also write me off as "bitch" or "cold" and believe me to be making fun of people when I am not. I just like playing games with people, and acting ironical out of fun.
I love The Young Ones (Rick is my favourite. I especially love how he is so complex, and constantly contradiciting himself about his opinion on the police and his political stance.) Blackadder, Black Books (though I always forget its on so I haven't seen that much of it), The IT Crowd and Only Fools and Horses.

I also watch 1950s Superman and Flash Gordon just for a laugh (Flash Gordon is so bad! Haha!)

I however find most American TV shows/humour to be repulsively unfunny.

figaro_black

Local time
-->
The thing with me and my humour is not so much that people don't get it and think me completely serious (and so are pissed off) but rather that I sadly use it to comfort people with. For example, my little brother thought he had lost his laptop the other day. A crappy old thing, the fans did not work, it would shut down every ten minutes or so and generally I couldn't understand him putting up with it. And so, naturally, in an attempt to comfort him I told him that whoever finds it is sure to quickly return it or perhaps save him the trouble and actually chuck it out. This made him cry even harder and my mother glare at me. I know, it is not exactly funny, but I always try to make light of situations like that and I always fail.

Anyhow, I think the problem I'm having with a lot of the American TV shows/humour is that it is all too...I don't want to use the word unintelligent but mostly it is. It is as if they have a form for everything they do, following a strict Aristotelian kind of logic. If A then B, which will lead to C and result in D. I too prefer British (of French) humour. Just thinking about the knight having been chopped up but refusing to give up in the Holy Grail makes me smile, or the dogs being killed in a Fish Called Wanda. Oh, or the dead parrot, of course. (I've yet to see an American film/TV series in which they actually manage to make it funny to hurt animals).

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 5:56 AM
-->
The little i know about american comedians (=the few american comedians i know) i find them funny in a certain kind, but often they are way exaggerating. I mean, perhaps i know only tthe real extreme ones (Uhm, George Carlin, CK Louis, Penn & Teller...), but they seem to rely mostly on shocking the audience to get a reaction. That can be funny of course, but it is kind of one-dimensional...

I mainly like political satire, which many german comedians show (not all, of course).
Jokes which usually take a second or two to kick in, while the comedian stands there with a deadpan face :D

But i discovered that you can laugh about many things, when in the right mood. Even things which a bit out of context or out of the right 'atmosphere' would be nowhere near laughable...

Ogion

Gorgrim

Local time
Today 5:56 AM
-->
Penn and teller makes for abit of fun, actually. Especially when portraying dumb people.... an example beeing the 'CO2 sin-relief' donations.

british humor.. or atleast, british comedians... are awesome. <3 <3. I like british TV really.

Fordy

Local time
-->
The thing with me and my humour is not so much that people don't get it and think me completely serious (and so are pissed off) but rather that I sadly use it to comfort people with. For example, my little brother thought he had lost his laptop the other day. A crappy old thing, the fans did not work, it would shut down every ten minutes or so and generally I couldn't understand him putting up with it. And so, naturally, in an attempt to comfort him I told him that whoever finds it is sure to quickly return it or perhaps save him the trouble and actually chuck it out. This made him cry even harder and my mother glare at me. I know, it is not exactly funny, but I always try to make light of situations like that and I always fail.
I'm very much the same. Making light of a dark situation can be really risky business, paticularly with people you aren't too close to. But when you actually succeed, it can be really comforting for the other person. Recently I've learnt when to keep my mouth shut, though I still sometimes make situations worse when all I try to do is make them better.

And for general comedy?
Now, I love British humour also, but a lot of you seem to be really bashing American comedy, which I find slightly unfair. I know there is some bad stuff coming out of there, but it's where most of the comedies I watch regularly are from.

One word for you: Scrubs. :D

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
And so, naturally, in an attempt to comfort him I told him that whoever finds it is sure to quickly return it or perhaps save him the trouble and actually chuck it out. This made him cry even harder and my mother glare at me. I know, it is not exactly funny, but I always try to make light of situations like that and I always fail.

Ah, yeah, that did sound sort of mean. Be careful with that sort of thing. Did he think it was a cruddy laptop, or was that just your opinion? I mean, really, don't try to make light of someone else's situation unless you're pretty sure the other guy will agree with you. When you try to make light of someone else's problems, you'll probably get one of two reactions, either "yeah, that is sort of funny, and I guess it's not such a big deal," or "this is serious, you heartless jerk!"

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think the only time I have really, at least almost, gotten into real trouble in high school was for my sarcastic humor that showed up. I am too ashamed to even talk about it over the net, but let's just say I didn't mean any harm and thus owned up to my mistake right away and all ended with me writing a long-winded apology letter with $15 bucks from my pocket to remove any hard feelings. Sometimes overly sensitive people really piss me off.

I have sarcasm down as an INTJ trait. Personally, I go straight to caustic and miss out sarcasm, which I have never ever used and I am not quite sure how to?

figaro_black

Local time
-->
Ah, yeah, that did sound sort of mean. Be careful with that sort of thing. Did he think it was a cruddy laptop, or was that just your opinion? I mean, really, don't try to make light of someone else's situation unless you're pretty sure the other guy will agree with you. When you try to make light of someone else's problems, you'll probably get one of two reactions, either "yeah, that is sort of funny, and I guess it's not such a big deal," or "this is serious, you heartless jerk!"

Oh, he had complained a lot about it himself but at the same time he had been reluctant to buy himself a new one since he figured it was not entirely dead (him in a nutshell, he even walked around in shoes with holes in them for months before I finally pitied him and bought him a new pair as a surprise present!).

As for American humour, I guess Scrubs, Weeds, My name is Earl etc. can be sort of entertaining from time to time. But it is very seldom that I actually really squeal with laughter when I watch American Comedies, unlike British or French ones.

shaunjvallejo

Local time
-->
I think my sense of humor gets me in more trouble than almost anything else. It's exceptionally dry.

For example, I'm watching T.V., and my ex wife walks in

Her: What are you watching?

Me: A documentary on shaken baby syndrome

Her: For God's sakes, WHY?

Me: I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

This doesn't go over too well with people who don't know me.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I think my sense of humor gets me in more trouble than almost anything else. It's exceptionally dry.

For example, I'm watching T.V., and my ex wife walks in

Her: What are you watching?

Me: A documentary on shaken baby syndrome

Her: For God's sakes, WHY?

Me: I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

This doesn't go over too well with people who don't know me.

i don't know you very well, but thats incredibly funny to me.

Top Bottom