• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP - relaxing the mind

majohnso

Local time
Today 5:19 AM
-->
Given my other post, the natural other question

what do others do to relax their brains as INTPs?

i have started doing meditation in the morning for the past 2 months, it helps, but dont feel the full benefits that are stated

what do others do?

thanks

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:19 PM
-->
The first thing is to get more into your body.
The brain won't relax because it is segmented from it.
You need to pay attention to both of them at the same time.

The full benefit I think comes in meditation from paying attention to everything in every moment. Essentially mindfulness in everything you do when awake.

I have been dealing with emotional issues and tension a long time. Constant awareness of the negative feelings in my head and body is helping tremendously. When I pay attention I can let go and become perfectly still, even when I do not feel good. I can detach myself from the sensations well still feeling them inside me.

Hope that helps.

majohnso

Local time
-->
thank you, i think you are right, by seeing the thought and then analysing a bit then detaching (which i do when less tired), really helps

good luck

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:19 PM
-->
I sleep or take drugs. Like prescription drugs, i mean.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 4:19 PM
-->
What are the stated benefits?

I've found meditation to be highly beneficial for certain purposes. I've found that even within seconds it has the ability to lift my mood, and doing it over extended periods creates a change in mindset which is really rather wonderful.

It depends how you go about it. There are certainly downsides to the constant attempt to quiet one's mind. Yes it serves a purpose, but making your mind more active is perhaps even more important, generally speaking.

For example, depending on what kind of person you are, you may find it more helpful to exercise your imagination rather than cut everything off (but I'll mention again meditation serves an important purpose if used correctly). If you're that kind of person, escaping to your own personal dream-kingdom can be just the medicine you mean to kickstart things.

One way to relax, is simply to will it. Intend to relax, just focus on the idea of relaxing, and if you get the knack of willing states of being, it should have an immediate impact.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:19 AM
-->
^ pnb above words ... added music and 'trance', way I see it meditation and hypnosis are more similar than different and with a decent breathing repertoire your subconsciousness/imagination can come out and play(even when ambulating/motorolating/washing dishes; or an emptiness can be fostered very near sleep. combine this with music and drugs... otherwise its also fun to mute things, documentares news films etc and add music... visual ecstasy

*oh ofc any exercise or adrenalic activity... sorta maybe what animekitty mentions as mindfullness, when body pushed or it is under impresson of danger perception becomes euphoric and mindlessness in short burst maybe.. don't have relevant primate biological data on these things

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 6:19 AM
-->
Walking in night when streets are empty no one there. Singing help too. I cant meditate really because i enter that personal dream-kingdom Artzu mention and this always lead back to overthinking.
give me your drugs illegal or not.:cat:

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:19 PM
-->
Turn off all stimulation like music and just be. Acid and mushrooms can loop the mind so I wouldn't take them for that. I would enter a monk prayer like position and enter a sleep like state. Just quiet the mind. Or you might be thinking about something. I don't practice meditation because weed potentiates the mind for it anyway if used correctly. I need to start actually meditating though, because there are powerful techniques out there that can get you where you need to be. I'd rather do yoga than meditation. It focuses the mind rather than relaxens it. By doing those kinds of things the closest you'll get is a dreamlike hypnagogic type deal.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:19 AM
-->
Exercise.

TransientMoment

_ _ , - _ , _ -
Local time
Today 12:19 AM
-->
The kind of music you listen to has an effect on your mind. For some people, listening to calming music has an effect. However, for INTPs, I think the best benefits are actually listening to what you body is in the mood for. If you are angry, listen to dissonance. If you are happy, listen to something cheerful. Then transition it in your playlist to other, softer things. Eventually, your mood goes into the music and leaves your mind, allowing your to refocus and direct it towards other things. Music can scratch the itch. Alternatively, don't listen to anything. Period.

Sometimes, something may be causing you anxiety, in which case, music won't help. You will need to find relief for that anxiety, and being in your rational mind is better for that. That requires ditching music and various forms of emotional stimulation.

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
-->
Get really good at something that stimulates your brain, but once you are good at it becomes kind of mindless. For me that's Su Doku, playing guitar, or playing a specific MTG Deck that I've been playing with for ages on MTGO. Whenever, I'm sitting around doing nothing
i usually gravitate towards those and relax because they require a high enough level of focus to where I can't think about much else, but are rather mindless due to muscle memory.

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
-->
In other words, form a habit of exercising a hobby in idle time.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have tried stuff like meditation. I don't really see the point. For me it's enough to take a couple of deep breaths and maybe distract myself with some stimulus like music or reading the news. I'm usually reset after that. In some extreme cases I might rely on a smoke.

Top Bottom