• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTPf/INTPx Trivia Contest 2019

Utisz

Local time
Today 1:21 AM
-->
@Utisz that was my interpretation yes.

The answer I got is a bit different (don't want to post too much because it might give away the answer to the open question). We could maybe return to this once the question closes?

But as long as they are not all of unique cardinality (which they can't be, since the minimum average for that case would be (n+1)/2 = 1 trillion + 0.5 ), then clearly at least 2 must have the same cardinality

unless you're looking for the maximum multiplicity of cardinalities, which would be a slightly more challenging problem :phear:

I posted an example I hope helps to clarify. I guess we could say it is the minimum (over all assignments of stars to galaxies) of the maximum multiplicity of cardinalities (if I understand the last part correctly). :)

So for every assignment of stars to galaxies, we consider what is the size of the largest group of galaxies with the same number of stars? And then we take the minimum of that value over all possible assignments. Does that make sense?

Utisz

Local time
-->
The chess question has turned out to be a bit more complicated than I had anticipated! Members of the other forum pointed out that my original solution doesn't work because of something I overlooked, but we have gotten a valid answer (now with three moves). See the discussion under the question for the details.

Anyways, I'm going back over old answers to see if any were valid (to be sure). The new solution requires three moves.

chess one:
bishop at 2F to C8
black rook at E1 to B1
white pawn at D3 to C3

This one I had to think about, but the problem is that the rook that started on h8 could only have gotten out past the pawns/bishop if it were captured by a white knight and promoted. Black has 15 pieces so the one piece that was captured must have been that rook. Since it was captured by a knight, there would be no way to explain the remaining doubled white pawn on a3.

chess:

rook at e1 to a5, black king to e8

Leaves the white doubled pawns and the problem of needing two promotions for the rook to get outside and for two dark-squared bishops while black is only missing one pawn.

Utisz

Local time
-->
lbloom is a beast.

In a little over three hours the points max out at 40, so you'll be 3 questions away from her (or 2 and a bonus). Just to keep the spirits up. :)

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:21 AM
-->
no fucking way – I was thinking those eyes in the face were from that chick in Fight Club, but I thought her eyes are more round than the ones in the picture. Bernie and Tyson were obvious... FUCK

I gotta start doing more shameless stabs

Utisz

Local time
-->
no fucking way – I was thinking those eyes in the face were from that chick in Fight Club, but I thought her eyes are more round than the ones in the picture. Bernie and Tyson were obvious... FUCK

I gotta start doing more shameless stabs

For sure!

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
how long is it until 40 points now? I have the answer to a question and let me tell ya it's not a stab :cool:

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
fuck it, I'm not gonna get jacked on this one.

ⰌⰄ

By which popular convention would the following inequalities hold?

45984 < 62396 < 28845 < 47784 < 34949 < 53955 < 76354 < 26262 < 74777
these are poker hands.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
stab at the code:

change the sandwich line to

he gave me a vegemite sandwich

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
and for the illegal 90s EP, I'm guessing Prodigy - Smack my Bitch up

Utisz

Local time
-->
fuck it, I'm not gonna get jacked on this one.

ⰌⰄ

By which popular convention would the following inequalities hold?

45984 < 62396 < 28845 < 47784 < 34949 < 53955 < 76354 < 26262 < 74777
these are poker hands.

Correct! 35 points!

I think you were about an hour out from the 40 points. Unlikely it would have been gotten before (the quiz has gone pretty quiet now) but if there were one to be gotten at any moment, that was certainly one of them. :)

stab at the code:

change the sandwich line to

he gave me a vegemite sandwich

Not the answer.

and for the illegal 90s EP, I'm guessing Prodigy - Smack my Bitch up

Not the one.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Bird song: Kauaʻi ʻōʻō or ʻōʻōʻāʻā (Moho braccatus)

CatGoddess

Local time
Today 12:21 AM
-->
The apostrophe makes a quote block; it's a "special character". In java you can do a \' to actually insert an apostrophe; in notepad instead of an apostrophe you type &#8217;

Heh I'm pretty sure I got this one... Still a little sad I was beat to the SH 5 one...

@Serac Go forth and represent intpf!

do you speak\'a my language?

he just smiled

gave me a vegemite sandwich

and he said

i come from a land down under

where the beer does flow and the men chunder

can\'t you hear the thunder?

you better run you better take cover

MEN AT WORK

©

Utisz

Local time
-->
The apostrophe makes a quote block; it's a "special character". In java you can do a \' to actually insert an apostrophe; in notepad instead of an apostrophe you type &#8217;

Heh I'm pretty sure I got this one...

Ouch, that's not it.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Is it &rsquo;

...? To replace the apostrophe, that is. Notepad make the diamonds with question marks in them when you just type '

I'm not actually well-versed in notepad; you can probably tell.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Is it that instead of "can't you hear the thunder?", it should be "can you hear the thunder?", because otherwise you're taking cover if you don't hear thunder?

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
They're lyrics to a song (Men at Work). Some of the lyrics are a bit off, but it doesn't seem like that's what we're correcting. I think the fact that it's program code is relevant.

jawdropper

eres muy bonita
Local time
Today 6:21 AM
-->
nirvana - all apologies / rape me

tracklist:

all apologies
rape me
moist vagina

lol tho actually that's a promotional single not an EP so i'm just playin around

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
They're lyrics to a song (Men at Work). Some of the lyrics are a bit off, but it doesn't seem like that's what we're correcting. I think the fact that it's program code is relevant.
I know, but assuming it is to be interpreted as code, and it doesn't contain syntax errors, then other types of errors would be value errors, logical errors etc - the latter of which I am aiming at

jawdropper

eres muy bonita
Local time
-->
mohamed salah?
the hajj? if u mean one in a lifetime trip as something that's "mandatory"
if not camino de santiago?

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Code one: going back to what I said earlier about \n, is it the same idea but with <p>TEXT</p> for each line?

Notepad doesn't display the line breaks without that after each line. It's still syntactically valid, because it'll run, but what you see is not what you get, so that at least fits your question, right, even if it isn't your intended answer...?

Attempt no. 2

<p>do you speak'a my language?</p>

<p>he just smiled</p>

<p>gave me a vegemite sandwich</p>

<p>and he said</p>

<p>i come from a land down under</p>

<p>where the beer does flow and the men chunder</p>

<p>can't you hear the thunder?</p>

<p>you better run you better take cover</p>

<p>MEN AT WORK</p>

©

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Wait I'm dumb, I thought I said something about \n but I never did; sorry if that was at all confusing.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
ⰌⰈ

We've all seen those puzzles where you say what you see. Here the answer lies in what you don't say.

4wfH6SJ.png
I'm gonna go with... animals

jawdropper

eres muy bonita
Local time
-->
Spiral tribe - Definitely Taking Drugs EP
maybe?

Utisz

Local time
-->
Is it &rsquo;

...? To replace the apostrophe, that is. Notepad make the diamonds with question marks in them when you just type '

I'm not actually well-versed in notepad; you can probably tell.

Not the answer.

Is it that instead of "can't you hear the thunder?", it should be "can you hear the thunder?", because otherwise you're taking cover if you don't hear thunder?

Not the answer.

nirvana - all apologies / rape me

tracklist:

all apologies
rape me
moist vagina

lol tho actually that's a promotional single not an EP so i'm just playin around

Not the answer. :)

mohamed salah?
the hajj? if u mean one in a lifetime trip as something that's "mandatory"
if not camino de santiago?

Not the answer!

Code one: going back to what I said earlier about \n, is it the same idea but with <p>TEXT</p> for each line?

Notepad doesn't display the line breaks without that after each line. It's still syntactically valid, because it'll run, but what you see is not what you get, so that at least fits your question, right, even if it isn't your intended answer...?

Attempt no. 2

<p>do you speak'a my language?</p>

<p>he just smiled</p>

<p>gave me a vegemite sandwich</p>

<p>and he said</p>

<p>i come from a land down under</p>

<p>where the beer does flow and the men chunder</p>

<p>can't you hear the thunder?</p>

<p>you better run you better take cover</p>

<p>MEN AT WORK</p>

©

Not the answer!

Wait I'm dumb, I thought I said something about \n but I never did; sorry if that was at all confusing.

No worries! I'm being careful about giving hints, but I can at least say that the answer is quite a bit different to the direction you're heading.

ⰌⰈ

We've all seen those puzzles where you say what you see. Here the answer lies in what you don't say.

4wfH6SJ.png
I'm gonna go with... animals

Not animals, no.

maybe?

Not the one!

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
the sheet music one was some supernatural shit btw. I don't even know how to read sheet music, I just sort of eye-balled the notes and tried to imagine what it would sound like. Then, suddenly, I felt the presence of Mozart. He said to me: Serac... it's a piano sonata. So I listened to a bunch of piano sonatas on spotify, while Mozart was guiding my hand until I reached the Liszt one.

the mozart part is a joke of course, but the rest is a true story, I have no clue how I figured it should be a piano sonata or how I picked exactly the Liszt one

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Ava one: this is probably not right, but the drink was orange juice? Ava was born because of an Ava fertility tracking device, and the drink is a bad idea because orange juice boosts putrescine (related to sperm health), so the guy is worried he got her pregnant?

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Oh yeah, and the polygon one: (the lack of editing is killing me... I heavily edit posts all the time) Is it a trip to see the seven wonders of the world? Since it's a septagon.

Utisz

Local time
-->
lourdes sanctuary pilgrimage?

Not the one!

the sheet music one was some supernatural shit btw. I don't even know how to read sheet music, I just sort of eye-balled the notes and tried to imagine what it would sound like. Then, suddenly, I felt the presence of Mozart. He said to me: Serac... it's a piano sonata. So I listened to a bunch of piano sonatas on spotify, while Mozart was guiding my hand until I reached the Liszt one.

the mozart part is a joke of course, but the rest is a true story, I have no clue how I figured it should be a piano sonata or how I picked exactly the Liszt one

Intuition!
aka.
Nobody knows. :)

Ava one: this is probably not right, but the drink was orange juice? Ava was born because of an Ava fertility tracking device, and the drink is a bad idea because orange juice boosts putrescine (related to sperm health), so the guy is worried he got her pregnant?

Not the one!

Oh yeah, and the polygon one: (the lack of editing is killing me... I heavily edit posts all the time) Is it a trip to see the seven wonders of the world? Since it's a septagon.

Thanks for not editing!

And yes, you are correct and you picked up on the "in"!! 40 points

Rolling Cattle

no backbone
Local time
-->
ⰁⰊ

The alt-right say it likes to fill safe spaces. What is this mathematical structure called?

jGAQAGZ.png

GOSPER CURVE ....aka.... flowsnake????

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
utisz said:
Thanks for not editing!

And yes, you are correct and you picked up on the "in"!! 40 points

Yup, yeah, totally picked up on that.

...No, to be completely honest, I just looked at the polygon and thought, "what's unique about it?". "Ah, 7 sides." "Hmm... 7... once in a lifetime... seven wonders of the world?" I didn't even want to guess it because it was a semi-wild guess, but I decided to look at a map and it kinda checked out so I was like "whatever, who cares if I make a fool of myself".

Rolling Cattle

no backbone
Local time
-->
It was a good answer catGod. Made me go d'oh!

My head's full of yo dawg memes now, make it stop!! Argh!

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
another shot at the galaxy one: 10

here I'm just assuming that the optimal configuration (in the sense of minimizing the max multiplicity) amounts to all equal multiplicities, and solve the equation accordingly

Utisz

Local time
-->
Question ⰌⰈ (the four images with say what you see but don't say question) was gotten by stigmatica on INTPx 40 points.

Yup, yeah, totally picked up on that.

...No, to be completely honest, I just looked at the polygon and thought, "what's unique about it?". "Ah, 7 sides." "Hmm... 7... once in a lifetime... seven wonders of the world?" I didn't even want to guess it because it was a semi-wild guess, but I decided to look at a map and it kinda checked out so I was like "whatever, who cares if I make a fool of myself".

Most attempts are incorrect; better to try than to hold it back and then watch someone else get it later. :)

It was a good answer catGod. Made me go d'oh!

My head's full of yo dawg memes now, make it stop!! Argh!

:evil:, haha.

another shot at the galaxy one: 10

here I'm just assuming that the optimal configuration (in the sense of minimizing the max multiplicity) amounts to all equal multiplicities, and solve the equation accordingly

Correct! 40 points

We have a new leader!

Utisz

Local time
-->
galaxy one: 84% of the 2 trillion

For posterity, assuming you meant that 84% cannot have a unique number of stars, I made this 90%.

With two trillion galaxies and 100 billion stars on average, you can create galaxies in pairs:

(0, 200 billion)
(1, 200 billion - 1)
(2, 200 billion - 2)
(3, 200 billion - 3)
(100 billion - 1, 100 billion + 1)

Meaning the first galaxy has 0 stars, the second 200 billion, the third 1 star, the fourth 200 billion minus 1, and so forth. This gets you to 200 billion galaxies with a unique number of stars while keeping the mean of 100 billion stars.

Assigning the remaining 1.8 trillion galaxies precisely 100 billion stars each, you preserve the mean.

In the end you've maximised galaxies with a unique number of stars (10%), leaving 90% with a non-unique number of stars.

Utisz

Local time
-->
^^ Nope, I'm wrong. You can have approx. 632 billion galaxies with a unique number of stars by counting up from one star, two stars, ..., 632 billion stars. The remaining 1.368 trillion galaxies are left to be dark places with no stars. So this time we get ~68.4% non-unique/~31.6% unique.

Anyways. :)

jawdropper

eres muy bonita
Local time
-->
Ambient one

i hear smth like Rammstein - mein teil ending aaaaahs looped through the tune
and
I feel so - Box car racer piano intro
??

Utisz

Local time
-->
Question ⰌⰁ (the illegal EP one) was gotten by Penguinhunter on INTPx (40 points)

maybe?

This was in the right ball-park! I considered 10 points because probably this was affected by the same law, but the EP only has two tracks. (Also I think maybe you were thinking of the taking drugs part, which is coincidental.)

Ambient one

i hear smth like Rammstein - mein teil ending aaaaahs looped through the tune
and
I feel so - Box car racer piano intro
??

Not the ones.

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
I'm going to take another haphazard guess at the Arab question: Is it... Qaboos bin Said al Said? Salad in Arabic translates to "Sulta", which has the double meaning of power/rule/influence. There is only one Sultan left in the Arabic world, and it's Said, who rules Oman. If we're being less literal, we can go with Muhammed (PBUH), since he's considered the most influential/powerful Arab by most Arabs.

Utisz

Local time
-->
I'm going to take another haphazard guess at the Arab question: Is it... Qaboos bin Said al Said? Salad in Arabic translates to "Sulta", which has the double meaning of power/rule/influence. There is only one Sultan left in the Arabic world, and it's Said, who rules Oman. If we're being less literal, we can go with Muhammed (PBUH), since he's considered the most influential/powerful Arab by most Arabs.

I will give 10 points for that! That's quite an interesting answer and I've already awarded partial points for similar answers on the other forum.

However now I really will stick to the exact answer only on that question. :)

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
any hints on the code, @Utisz ?

edit: nvm, I see now that you're gonna post hints after a week

CatGoddess

Local time
-->
Awww, I really thought I had the Arab one in the bag that time... How long does it take for you to come up with these quizzes, by the way? Why do you spend your time making them? What prompted you to post the first trivia quiz you made?

Utisz

Local time
-->
Awww, I really thought I had the Arab one in the bag that time...

It was a good answer! The one I'm looking for though is something more specific.

How long does it take for you to come up with these quizzes, by the way?

I collect questions over time (usually more than a year or so): when I see something I think might make for a good question, I just take a note in a file. Putting the whole thing together from the raw notes maybe takes around 10 hours. (I figure though that the folks who take part cumulatively spend in total a few multiples of that playing, so it seems worthwhile.)

Why do you spend your time making them?

I think people enjoy them! I get a kick out of it too.

I like making things I guess. :)

What prompted you to post the first trivia quiz you made?

It was a tradition on INTPcentral and then INTPcomplex. When I joined INTPcentral I started taking part in contests other people made and also making some smaller contests. All the old INTPcentral ones are pretty much gone now with the site, but there's still the last one I made on INTPcomplex and the one Penguinhunter made before that. kali has also made some puzzle threads; the last one she shared on both forums so I followed that idea.

So it's just something of a tradition I guess. :)

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
damn, @Utisz, I just looked at your youtube and saw that you made that "INTPcentral downfall" video. I remember I watched that several years ago and thought it was really funny shit

Utisz

Local time
-->
damn, @Utisz, I just looked at your youtube and saw that you made that "INTPcentral downfall" video. I remember I watched that several years ago and thought it was really funny shit

Guilty as charged. :)

Top Bottom