• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTPs ..why so serious?

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 7:22 AM
-->
INTPs seem rather serious on here. Is that normal for the type?
Any non-INTPs on here see the same pattern?

Y tho? Do you worry about how ppl see you? Are you usually serious?

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
Today 5:22 AM
-->

View attachment 4587

We live in a society...

I just don't like jokes, not funny.

"Why chicken cross the road?"
Not a funny joke.

Rebis

Local time
-->
It's hard to read because we express a lot of ideas, usually in a serious tone.

I've told a decent amount of jokes on this forum but I sometimes don't get feedback so I can't determine if it registered with them. Did they internally chuckle, or did they take it to heart?

Deleted member 1424

Some locals have a certain.... 'sounds more serious than they are' quality.

Just imagine everything with a slight drawl.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 1:22 AM
-->
If you wanna know how chill I am
Open your freezer

Tenacity

Local time
-->

(skip 4min to the end)

Rebis

Local time
-->
fun fact: you can select a specific moment in the video for a user to go to once they've clicked on your link:

so add to the end of the hyperlink: &t=1h2m3s

h is hours, m is minutes, s is seconds.

you can just do 0m0s if you don't have hours too.

I'm gonna make a website right away, thanks squarespace!

Tenacity

Local time
-->
fun fact: you can select a specific moment in the video for a user to go to once they've clicked on your link:

so add to the end of the hyperlink: &t=1h2m3s

h is hours, m is minutes, s is seconds.

you can just do 0m0s if you don't have hours too.

I'm gonna make a website right away, thanks squarespace!
Lmao oh no I meant skip the ending (4min to the end) I hate ads lol / watch everything except the ending

I shouldn't have said anything :tinykitball:

moody

Local time
Yesterday 10:22 PM
-->
I often don't know how to respond to humor unless I know the person well. In person, I also don't find a lot of things funny. When a joke is directed specifically to me, there have been times where I just stare at the other person without responding...then they say, "that was a joke," and I say, "I know," so they don't usually talk to me again XD

On the forum, it's hard for me to read inflection!

I don't know if being "serious" is an INTP thing, so much as getting really focused on the point of conversation. Humor can be annoying me when I'm trying to debate or discuss something. It's more of an "obsessive" thing than a "serious" thing. Other times I don't pick up on whether or not someone's making a joke versus dismissing me. I think that could be more of an introverted + thinking quality than a "INTP" one.

@Marbles You mentioned a need for precision in conversation...would you say this is along the same lines?

moody

Local time
-->

This is true.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:22 PM
-->
^ Haha, yes that face.

I've been told that I look sad/serious even when I'm happy, but yeah not sure if specific type related as much as just introverting everything. Sometimes I'm so lost in thought that I miss the jokes because I'm too focused on the topic.

Person: "Pol - hey! It was a JOKE"
Me (startled): "Huh?"

Rebis

Local time
-->

I finally watched the video, It's hard for me to start a video with that format, someone talking like that.

Yes, I agree: Characteristics have strength and weaknesses in most cases.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 6:22 AM
-->
@moody

Yeah, I often find jokes derailing, and rarely funny. People will make them, then look at you like a puppy craving love. Either you laugh, or you're the bad guy, regardless of whether the joke was funny. I probably sound callous here, but if I were I guess I wouldnt care whether I was the "bad guy", so...

If I know someone well enough not to feel obligated to laugh, and they're funny, I quite enjoy jokes.

Written discussion is difficult to derail, so in them I am grateful for jokes. They liven things up, and no one sees my response, so I can be stone faced to my heart's desire.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
Today 12:22 AM
-->
Subtlety is the way to go with jokes.

There aren't many places on the internet where people are thoughtful, and as an INT/FP, I want the conversations that are just that. I think I'm only serious when it comes to defending and attacking ideas, as I know their potentiality. Otherwise I'm pretty carefree about everything.

Rebis

Local time
-->
I'm thinking very seriously stop with the jokes guys NOT FUNNY.

NOT FUNNY certified by ME

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Banter and fun comes and goes on this forum, guess we're in a serious phase now. In any social group, all it takes for humor to be more common and widespread is 1-2 people setting the precedence and using humor themselves. From there it spreads and become more common and people feel more safe letting that side of themselves show.

Sadly, that also means the opposite is true. 1-2 shitty posters/ people and the social dynamic become centered around something more shitty. This is commonly seen in workplaces, where a few can drastically influence the atmosphere.

I tend to joke around a lot, but my humor is pretty weird so I contain it to those few who I'm confident understand it.

moody

Local time
-->
Sadly, that also means the opposite is true. 1-2 shitty posters/ people and the social dynamic become centered around something more shitty. This is commonly seen in workplaces, where a few can drastically influence the atmosphere.

Yes! That’s exactly it! I hate it when that happens...people can be so ridiculous.

I tend to joke around a lot, but my humor is pretty weird so I contain it to those few who I'm confident understand it.

I feel that...I’ll think it’s super obvious I’m joking, but apparently it’s not to most people. It doesn’t happen all that often anymore, but when I get in a funny mood, it’s like a flip switched and I can’t turn it off. Unless remove myself from the conversation, it gets worse and I end up offending someone.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't come here to get humor.
I come to ask questions, toggle ideas with someone that gives me new intellect, maybe even debate a topic that's been boiling for a while. But I actually have a great sense of humor, it just doesn't come out on this forum. And well, one has to have a certain amount of self-confidence and openness to express humor to others.

Rebis

Local time
-->
It's just the switch really, there's little subtleties in words compared to facial expression, tone, enunciation and modulating your speech. A wink here, a push there, "symbolic-interactionalism" through words (I just mentioned that word because I find it funny, hand waves are defined as symbolic forms of interaction.)

Gotta talk to the people for a while before they can pick up those subtleties. A few markers:
-Making caricatures
-Exaggeration
-Add a haha or something

To make a joke you have to risk offence.

Deleted member 1424

Humor isn't just the best coping mechanism; it's the only one worth using. An intp that is never irreverent or playful seems a rather odd creature to me, but then again I am a deeply silly person. What's it all for, if not a laugh?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm a big fan of anti-humor, or humor where you move along a thin edge between serious statements and jokes, or humor where the distinction between joke and serious can only be made from context or subtle cues like tone of voice – for example talking about something mundane in a slightly too serious tone so that what's being said is in fact a parody.

All this will obviously be lost in translation when communicated in text. It also doesn't work when I'm talking IRL to the average-Joe's out there, because they usually say with seriousness things that I would only say as a parody. So they probably view me as a weirdo, I view them as dumb, and that's just how life goes.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
The main reason I'm serious is because I care. I don't know how to not be that way.

Forgot to take the course "How to Not Give a Flying F*** 101".

I'm not this serious when I chat normally, but I'm pretty sure if any of us wanted something more "fun" we'd just find other sources of entertainment.

I find a few things funny, but not many, and I don't even understand what things I find funny and which things I don't. Talking about why something isn't funny definitely isn't funny though.

Sarcasm/irony generally pops into my head but I've conditioned myself to try and refrain from it because I've been told I do it too much to the point where people can't tell if I'm joking or serious, it confuses most people especially IRL.

I think the crew from Workaholics is pretty dope though, I grew up with pretty mundane-absurd American humor tastes I guess.

moody

Local time
-->
I'm a big fan of anti-humor, or humor where you move along a thin edge between serious statements and jokes, or humor where the distinction between joke and serious can only be made from context or subtle cues like tone of voice – for example talking about something mundane in a slightly too serious tone so that what's being said is in fact a parody.

All this will obviously be lost in translation when communicated in text. It also doesn't work when I'm talking IRL to the average-Joe's out there, because they usually say with seriousness things that I would only say as a parody. So they probably view me as a weirdo, I view them as dumb, and that's just how life goes.

My humor is exactly the same; I think this is a common sense of humor among NTs.
Unfortunately, I'm too good at having a poker face, so most people think I'm serious when I think I'm obviously joking.
Sometimes I'll brake character to laugh with someone at one of those type of jokes I made (if they get it), and then I'll abruptly stop and ask them why they're laughing, or even walk away. Of course, this only works with people who will know I'm just messing with them.

I love the calculating half-amused/half-frightened look people get when they're trying to figure out whether or not I'm joking. It's the best.

This does not translate well on the internet, unfortunately.

The main reason I'm serious is because I care. I don't know how to not be that way.

I understand. There's a time and place for humor, but online, I think which-is-which could potentially be lost. It's easier to read a room when the room isn't virtual. It's super annoying, possibly insulting, when someone doesn't get that their humor is being counterproductive, and no one is laughing with them. If I'm in a "serious* setting and my heads not there, I just bite my tongue because I know it would not be appreciated. I've noticed home schooled kids have a harder time in "reading the room."

I've conditioned myself to try and refrain from it because I've been told I do it too much to the point where people can't tell if I'm joking or serious, it confuses most people especially IRL.

I relate so much :rip:

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:22 PM
-->
Sarcasm/irony generally pops into my head but I've conditioned myself to try and refrain from it because I've been told I do it too much to the point where people can't tell if I'm joking or serious, it confuses most people especially IRL.

same but i don't refrain

Rebis

Local time
-->
I used to be super ironic, but it can be destructive paired with satire. When you reak peak/meta irony/satire and everything can be interpreted as a parody can be damaging if you wish to experience stuff genuinely. Like appplying irony to someone that genuinely likes something, let's say a game and then basically judging everyone to have a simple interest as plebs that can be interpreted ironically "wow i like _ it's really cool man generalisation, reduction of complicated processes "

"Wow u play chess :o you just move the piece from one square to another yeah?"
"oh wow you do that jog thing where you run and move your legs :o"
"wow i love a music beat where it goes low then high and low"

Used to hang around with a group of these people and stopped because it just added too many layers to experiences and thus reduced the amount of experiences you could genuinely enjoy. Maybe my experience can't be applied to others, but that's how I experienced it.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
How are we even serious? Half the comments in this forum are jokes.

Maybe we could make a thread where we share skits and stand up. Any bona fide INTJs here, who can get that done?

Rebis

Local time
-->
Help please tried to tell a joke earlier and my mom got stuck in the toaster, any suggestions? No room for the bread.

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
If you're into comedians, Demetri Martin isn't too bad. Intellect paired with comedy.

moody

Local time
-->

Maybe we could make a thread where we share skits and stand up. Any bona fide INTJs here, who can get that done?

I sit down while I type, so IDK if I'm sold.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:22 PM
-->
Help please tried to tell a joke earlier and my mom got stuck in the toaster, any suggestions? No room for the bread.

Unplug the toaster and eat your mom...?

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->

I sit down while I type, so IDK if I'm sold.
Stand up, and get out of here!

Unplug the toaster and eat your mom...?
I think I saw video by that name, once! Those crazy Japanese. Women always getting stuck in something.

Curlijessi

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Most of what I watch is comedy. I love all kinds of humor except ones with black cultural references ( I just dont understand the references ) and I dont like cheesy slapstick kid humor. Like childrens movies trying to be funny so someone falls or someone gets dirty or food on them. I do like many standup comedians and watch a lot of standup. I love funny movies, just not all. I have been known to make a joke or two pretty often but usually I'm the only one laughing. Also my husband and close friends get my humor. I think its much harder to make a joke that is written only. It takes away comedic timing and inflection. Thats why we dont sound funny because we are all probably funnier in person. ( at least I think I am) I think my mom and sister have no sense of humor. I can only count a very few times my mom has laughed at a TV show or movie. The only person that can make my mom laugh is my sister. I guess they get each other. My mom is ISFP and sister is ESFP. I had a best friend in high school who was hilarious, she is ESFJ. I would bounce off her jokes and the two of us could make all our friends laugh. Another friend of mine is INFP and he is pretty funny too. My husband and I are constantly joking with each other. I think I make him laugh the most. Its mostly sarcasm and sexual humor.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

View attachment 4587

Can you imagine any other type of world-reknowned physicist doing this?
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Frainerzitelmann%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FE0MG76-e1560965378507-1200x1270.jpg

Forensic1999

Ghost
Local time
-->
Seriousness keeps people at bay usually as apposed to humor.
Self-defense mechanism.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->

View attachment 4587

Can you imagine any other type of world-reknowned physicist doing this?
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Frainerzitelmann%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FE0MG76-e1560965378507-1200x1270.jpg
Yes, Feynman. Easily. Also, Michio Kaku. ENTPs, I venture. But your point is well made. You lose, Kormak.

Also, I just realized Einstein had huge pupils. They're even larger than mine, and I get bullied for mine.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Yes, Feynman. Easily. Also, Michio Kaku. ENTPs, I venture. But your point is well made. You lose, Kormak.

Also, I just realized Einstein had huge pupils. They're even larger than mine, and I get bullied for mine.

His eyes were so big that more light went into his eyes and he saw more stuff to think with his biggus brainus.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->

His eyes were so big that more light went into his eyes and he saw more stuff to think with his biggus brainus.
Yeah, that and he was probably chomping down on weed to come up with all those sick theories.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

'Mind-reading' AI can predict your personality by studying your eyes | Daily Mail Online

Researchers led by Tobias Loetscher from the University of South Australia used machine learning to understand how eye movements and personality are related.

Forty-two students wore eye-tracking smart glasses while walking around campus and from this experiment they have created an AI that can predict someone's personality.

- Curious people tend to look around more.

- Open-minded people stare at abstract images for longer periods of time.

- People who are neurotic usually blink faster.

- People who are open to new experiences moved their eyes more from side-to-side.

- People who have high levels of conscientiousness have greater fluctuations in their pupil size.

- Optimists spend less time looking at negative emotional stimuli (such as image of skin cancer) than people who were pessimistic.

This technology could be put in smartphones that understand and predict our behaviour, potentially offering personalised support.

They could also be used by robot companions for older people, or in self-driving cars and interactive video games.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
-->
@scorpiomover Interesting. I believe I blink a lot, and I admit I'm pretty neurotic.

I also saw a study a while back which found correlations between eye patterns and color, and personality traits.

Sadly nothing on large pupils. I could google it, but I would just learn I have cancer. Hmm... Okay, I guess I'm a lot neurotic.

To be seriousness, I read that it is a sign of noradrenaline sensitivity, once.

moody

Local time
-->

his brain was actually smaller than average.

Top Bottom