• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTPs with OCPD...

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 5:00 AM
-->
INTPs with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder easily mis-typed as INTJs. Discuss.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
Yesterday 10:00 PM
-->
Would this explain why I am always trying my damndest to keep everything in perfect order but am constantly being pulled by the other part of me that just... can't make it work?

It frustrates me to no end that I can't keep everything alphabetized and my books set on the shelf according to height and that everything isn't it it's proper place in nice neat rows and perfect beautiful stacks etc etc etc.

I do have a tendency to vacuum the carpet about 20 times over in one spot.

I'm not explaining myself very well.

I would think that if an INTP had issues with OCPD they would be constantly struggling between the two very different aspects of themselves subjecting them to living as a paradox. ITNP is going to pull one way.... OCPD is going to pull the opposite way and the INTP is going to be somewhere is the middle frustrated.

From what I've read about INTJ it is something that I have always tried to be... but just can't manage. At one point when I took the MBTI test I tested as an INTJ ( this is a 1 out of 5 result) and that was due to the fact that I answered not as I am.. but what I am always struggling to be.

nickgray

Local time
Today 9:00 AM
-->
Yeah, I do exhibit some of the OCPD symptoms. Or so it seems. I have issues about positioning the mouse cursor in a certain way, placing the teacup on the table just right and if I accidentally move something in my room it should either be restored to its original position, or the new position should be picked. I sometimes start to blink in some kind of a pattern, get stuck with a small musical phrase while walking and I gotta keep my folder structure in my computer in a certain order.

But it's really not that bad as it might sound, honestly :)

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Well, I used to be a neat freak, and obsessive about colour-coding. Also I would hold my breath for a certain number of seconds, release, and repeat about a thousand times.
I was compelled to count stuff, say, all red vehicles.
I was (still kinda am) extremely super-stitious when it came to patterns and the like.
Most of this has faded away with time, for some reason.
Though I can`t kick the habit of not stepping on the cracks.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 1:00 AM
-->
or INTJ's with ADD being mistyped at INTP's...

I have a lot of OCD (and I strongly suspect Tourettes) tendencies and ticks, but being neat has certainly never been one of them - in fact, I almost have an obsession about needing to be surrounded by chaos (extreme neatness and order bothers me for some reason).

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
I like my chaos to be ordered...
verything arranged so that it seemingly looks thrown together, but in a kind of artful, improbable way.
Does that even make sense?

What type of tendencies do you have?

I used to really think I had OCD... Now I display more ADD symptoms. :confused:
What's up with that?

tashi

Local time
Today 12:00 AM
-->
I've been wondering about this recently, because my p is borderline on all the tests I've taken so far, and I came out as a j on one recently, but I definatly relate more with p's then j's. I was wondering if my OCD could have something to do with it.
It was pretty bad when I was younger (not that it's much better now). In the past couple years though, I've managed to harness it for my benifit(keeping my room clean, help me stay on top of my homework assignments ect...)
But as Ashenstar sayed, my need for organization tends to conflict a great deal with other aspects of my personality. So perhaps I might get my homework done on time, but I'll procrastinate till the last minute, so I'll end up getting very little sleep for weeks on end(which just adds to my preexisting insomnia). I think the thing that really defines me as a P though, is my indecisiveness. It takes me 15 minutes to choose what coffee I want at starbucks =P

tashi

Local time
-->
I used to really think I had OCD... Now I display more ADD symptoms. :confused:
What's up with that?
I think that ADD and OCD are really closely related(I talked to my docter about this the other day). I think there's also a correlation with anxiety. I happen to be diagnosed with all three...I'm wondering if this trio: anxiety/OCD/ADD, is related to INTP tendencies. Perhaps the way our brains funtion makes us more susceptible.
The need to understand and gather knowledge could be related to OCD. Organizing and colorcoding your books verses organizing & understanding knowledge is not that different.
The ADD could be part of the introversion/thinking (daydreaming, not being able to pay attention ect... We're too busy inside our own heads to care what the teacher has to say, or weither or not we're late to something)
And lastly, second guessing ourselves can cause us to be anxious, and vice versa, being anxious can cause us to second guess ourselves.
hmmm.....I'm gonna look this up now. :confused:

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Speaking to this pull that Ashenstar brought up, I feel the thinking function in INTPs wants to run wild and collect limitless amounts of information, but then the intuitive, secondary function steps in and demands the information be organized. Of course, both processes, to some degree, are internal. I think something funky going on with the tertiary function, the sensing, has something to do with this irrational need for order (OCD) stepping in and damaging the INTP life.

To augment this point, do not many INTJs suffer from OCD? This might be because that intuitive organizing component is so exalted and the sensing component is really far down the line. Just an idea.

Apotheosis

Robot Pirate
Local time
-->
I have a lot of OCD (and I strongly suspect Tourettes) tendencies and ticks, but being neat has certainly never been one of them - in fact, I almost have an obsession about needing to be surrounded by chaos (extreme neatness and order bothers me for some reason).

I'm diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and I almost certainly have OCD. My Tourette's tics have, for the most part, dwindled down to the point where it's rarely noticed.

The OCD is evident in a number of ways. Just taking a look around, I see that I work very hard to keep my spaces orderly, which doesn't come naturally to me. My iPhone in front of me has 100+ apps organized neatly on 1 page, with everything thoughtfully ordered and labeled. Each time I shower, I pay close attention to any fuzz, hair, or anything else that happens to be on the wall or in the tub so that I can avoid or remove it. I recall reading that many INTPs have a tendency to lock their keys in their cars or homes, but not I. Before I close the door, I check multiple times to ensure that I have the keys.

Those are just a few examples that come to mind. It's not anything too noticeable, but it's there.

floccinaucci

homunculus
Local time
-->
I have this urge to do everything in chronological order. If someone tells me that spider man 3 was the best one, I'd still watch 1&2 just because I know they came first(idk if spidy 3 was the best, I stop watching after 45 minutes of 2.) All my books, and comic books are in order of the year they were published, and i get really upset if someone takes them out of that order. I can't stand "time" being thrown in random order. it really grinds my gears

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:00 PM
-->
Is there such a thing as Bipolar OCPD :rolleyes:

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 6:00 AM
-->
I'd rather have CDOP so the letters are in the right order.

NormannTheDoorman

Rice is love. Rice is life.
Local time
Today 4:00 PM
-->
I probably do have some form of a OCPD. My tendencies are as follows:

-Whenever I am walking on square tiles I always walk in a knight (chess piece) pattern. I form L's whenever I go forward or make turns.

-I always try to keep 2 steps in each rectangle whenever I walk on the sidewalk.

Now when it comes to organizing school work. That is different. I am always constantly thinking of all the ways I can organize it. Subject is given, but what about amount of lines it takes up? Or the date of completion, type of assignment, difficulty, amount of fun I had while doing the work? With that in mind I just give up entirely on organizing because there are all those tiny details that I can organize my work with. So my locker is normally a mess and homework doesn't get completed due to me being nearly preoccupied with organizing.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:30 PM
-->
I'm more of an ADD kinda guy...

ADHD kids.jpg

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Yesterday 10:00 PM
-->
I'm more of an ADD kinda guy...

View attachment 2032

My childhood OCD and laser-focus transformed into adult ADHD-Pi.
I blame Si. I don't forget anything and now the combination of too much input + garden variety neurosis worsening with age and pressure = nonexistent attention span or an obsessive kind of focus, and nothing in between.

Speaking to this pull that Ashenstar brought up, I feel the thinking function in INTPs wants to run wild and collect limitless amounts of information, but then the intuitive, secondary function steps in and demands the information be organized. Of course, both processes, to some degree, are internal. I think something funky going on with the tertiary function, the sensing, has something to do with this irrational need for order (OCD) stepping in and damaging the INTP life.

*shakes fist at Ti-Si loop*
I want off!

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
Today 4:00 PM
-->
I wouldn't really call my repeated behaviours compulsions, rather tendencies. Every INTP I've personally met has such tendencies.

My tendencies;

- I count pretty much everything.
- I break words and phrases into parts, preferably a symmetric arrangment.
- I can't help but flip words backwards, especially when I am bored.
- I re-read most of what I type/write. I hate my internal editor sometimes.
- I try to make everything symmetrical unless doing so greatly limits functionality.
- I never lose my keys, wallet, etc as they are always kept in the same place.
- I have a tendency to question everything I do or think. Not sure if this counts.

kyst

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have OCD with mostly symmetry compulsions and I actually get INTJ on self-tests more than INTP. Answering no to a question about whether or not I i.e prefer things to be at order would be lying, even though it doesn't have anything to do with my actual type. It just affects what my type appears to be.

I would think that if an INTP had issues with OCPD they would be constantly struggling between the two very different aspects of themselves subjecting them to living as a paradox. ITNP is going to pull one way.... OCPD is going to pull the opposite way and the INTP is going to be somewhere is the middle frustrated.

From what I've read about INTJ it is something that I have always tried to be... but just can't manage. At one point when I took the MBTI test I tested as an INTJ ( this is a 1 out of 5 result) and that was due to the fact that I answered not as I am.. but what I am always struggling to be.

This is exactly how I feel and why I believe my OCD to be even more draining to me than it would be to most people.

thinking_outloud

Thinking Automata
Local time
-->

I'm diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and I almost certainly have OCD. My Tourette's tics have, for the most part, dwindled down to the point where it's rarely noticed.

The OCD is evident in a number of ways. Just taking a look around, I see that I work very hard to keep my spaces orderly, which doesn't come naturally to me. My iPhone in front of me has 100+ apps organized neatly on 1 page, with everything thoughtfully ordered and labeled. Each time I shower, I pay close attention to any fuzz, hair, or anything else that happens to be on the wall or in the tub so that I can avoid or remove it. I recall reading that many INTPs have a tendency to lock their keys in their cars or homes, but not I. Before I close the door, I check multiple times to ensure that I have the keys.

Those are just a few examples that come to mind. It's not anything too noticeable, but it's there.

I relate to this. I check multiple times my pockets to make sure I have everything on me before I leave home, I do this in an orderly fashion. In a sense, it is a developed trait that stems exactly from the extreme negative experiences of losing stuff. However, I was quite the organizing ever since I was a toddler. My most vivid and early memory as a toddler was organizing cookies so I could eat them more efficiently.

thinking_outloud

Thinking Automata
Local time
-->
I am quite pleased to have found a thread online discussing this matter seriously. I tried to bring it up on Reddit, but none of the INTPs seemed to relate. My problem is that I tend to type as an INTJ when I actually take an MBTI test, no matter what online version I try. However, I do relate more to the INTP description.

From what I've observed INTJ tend to come up with conclusions much faster due to their intuitive leaps of faith. However, I tend to suspend judgement for a long time. Sometimes suspending judgement up to years, before I make up my mind about a subject matter. When I do finally grasp a higher understanding I am filled with joy. In any case, I think I might relate to the INTP-OCPD archetype, I also relate to ADD. But, I think both of these perceived relations are due to [my] high functioning autism or Asperger, whatever you want to call it. In fact, Asperger can be misdiagnosed as ADD and vice-versa.

Also, based on some studies I read a while ago OCPD traits overlap the traits of Asperger. My best explanation so far is that I am borderline J and P. I even tried some big-5 algorithms that type you based on the verbiage and vernacular one uses in personal writing. Needless to say, I am not very trusting of these algorithms since they are quite simplistic, but I did get conscientiousness on 60% a few times, sometimes 40%, and also 0%.

The more "abstract" and "creative" my writing was the less conscientiousness it got, hence my scepticism of the algorithm. There were also other reasons for why the algorithm wasn't strong, another being that it was based on weak studies from the nineties.

However, with this in mind, I most definitely relate to what other people have said in regards to having a quasi-split personality when it comes to the judging tendencies fighting with the perceiving tendencies. It does give a sort of Robert Pirsig split personality atmosphere, is this the result when pure thinking goes too far? Does one start to develop a second internal entity, an entity created out of pure thought? Thought itself as the building blocks?

Is this, the phenomenon of the "INTP-OCPD", a result of higher intelligence compared to most INTx types? Is this when meta-thinking goes too far? Or is the difficulty in figuring this out a result of the OCPD desire for perfectionism? That is suspending judgement for such a long time, that one starts to develop a second personality that can be used as an anchoring point of orientation.

I don't know, and I am still trying to figure out the predicament I find myself in. Again I am glad to have found other INTPs that relate.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Ya'll need Jesus.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:00 PM
-->
this threads almost a decade old lol

Won Hyo Lee

Won the fool
Local time
Today 2:00 PM
-->
I had a kinda OCD, and misdiagnosed as INTJ by online MBTI Test, but recently I diagnosed as INTP with sertaline 50mg after 5/3 years long medication released.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

Top Bottom