• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

introverted skills vs extroverted skills

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:30 AM
-->
which are more important in life an career

what are your examples of introverted and extroverted skills

introverted skills are more important in school and academics

but extroverted skills seem to be more important in employment and career

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
Extroversion: Life depends on co-operation, as does most jobs. Most ideas that exist within the mind are lost to the world.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:30 PM
-->
Being confident is good for bullshitting your way through things (like interviews) and extroverts tend to be better at displaying confidence but having confidence is by no means guaranteed, I've met several extroverts that lack confidence and life is very hard for them.

Whether introverted or extroverted I think the most important trait is willpower, it takes willpower to study, willpower to develop social skills, willpower to apply for a job and to keep applying for jobs until you get the one that's worthwhile then continue studying and continue applying for yet further positions.

And yet greater willpower to forge your own path.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
in my experience, the thing with business is that you can get people's attention for a short while with classical "extroverted" antics and fluff, but in the end what matters to people is competency, trust, and high-quality stuff.

Elen

Cold and damp
Local time
Today 3:30 AM
-->
I can bluff my way through most things that require extroversion. I think I'm mentally healthier for being an introvert. I can be alone in my mind. I know many extroverts who simply can't be alone with themselves. It makes it very hard for them to be introspective enough to learn from their mistakes.

It isn't the Introversion or Extroversion. It is about how you use it. :cat:

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 6:30 PM
-->

A lot of people confuse extroversion with eloquence. Here's the thing: you can be both eloquent and an introvert.

Extroverts have both the natural skill and need to connect with many people. However, what the workplace usually requires is functional connections with other people. You don't necessarily have to be friends with all the world. You just have to have a friendly demeanour and be able to communicate. These are skills that can be learnt.

Overall, I think introverts better focus helps them perform better at work. Introverts can easily learn to communicate well without having the need to connect with or be around other people. It's just another skill.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
extrovert advantage

only networking, and sales and marketing, and reading people's motivations., and communication, self promotion

introvert advantage

focus and persistance
singlemindedness
more knowledgable
programming
analysis and not take things in face value

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 4:30 AM
-->
I think we might be confusing intro/extroversion with other characteristics.

For example, there's no reason to believe an introvert is more studious than an extrovert. You might be challenged to find an ISTP who excelled in school or an ESTJ who didn't.

No reason to believe an introvert has better focus than an extrovert. Think of an ENTJ verses an ISFP.

I couldn't even say for certain that introverts work better independently. ISFJs need more team support and reassurance than an ENTP would.

I think of the different advantages in terms of horizontal and vertical growth.

Extroverts are usually better at networking. They're better at reaching out to strangers and better at establishing acquaintances. It allows them to immerse themsleves into a new academic or work environment quickly and effectively. If they're adequately competent and trustworthy, they will have their choice of opportunities.

Introverts are better at establishing a relationship of trust. They tend to build their reputations more slowly, but more squarely. Again, assuming the introvert is adequately competent and trustworthy. The smaller sphere of influence means fewer lateral opportunities, but perhaps more potential for steady rise (or establishing oneself in other ways).

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

Introverted skills are more important for situations that require introversion.
Extroverted skills are more important for situations that require extroversion.

The world has become a lot more closely integrated. In the workplace, people no longer work in separate offices any more. Academics have to do a lot more collaboration nowadays, and have to go on lots of conferences and teach hundreds of new students every single year. Consequently, work has become much more extroverted.

Dating has changed as well. It used to be that you'd go to the pub/bar/club, and just get talking to someone. Usually, the person either would not talk to you at all, or they liked you and were willing to date you. You had to go out, but only once a week, and once you got some reaction, it wasn't that hard to chat. Nowadays, it's all internet-based, and there, it seems to be that women get 50 messages a day or more, and so each man's messages gets lost in a multitude of messages. In order to get a date, many men find that they have to message 300 women a day. Online dating seems to be much more of a numbers game, and so seems to have become much more extroverted in behaviour.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
It is not black and white first. Most people are somewhere close to middle being extroverts or introverts. As it is obvious being extreme on either end, being super introverted or super extrovert creates a personality which probably creates problems in everyday normal life.

What is more I think introversion and extroversion is really not that explanatory as people think. For example what exactly is the thing that makes someone introvert or extrovert? Anyone really have a clue? Because I honestly do not know. Yes some people are more loners and more reserved and some are more open to meeting and conversing with people.
However I also noticed many other factors such as age, maturity, mental state, mental health or even culture matter in how much someone deals with social or introvert things.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 11:30 AM
-->
yeah right, you kinda ought to understand the meaning of the word, before you form opinions on the matter. but nobody does, seriously, so annyoying, all the silly talk about introverts in our culture.

i do understand what the introversion of a cognitive function means, in an abstract way, but a concrete idea and overwiew of what wordly "skills" could be thought of as being mainly I or E is not something right on top of my head.

my head is a bit filled with the corona issue right now, but i dare a short excusion.

any introvert skill would be a skill that involves a good understanding of / or unconcious feeling about / the human subject, whereas any extroverted skill would involve a good understanding about how any kind of interaction of machines or humans or virtual economic entities / companies might play out, in a board game kind of manner. introverted activities are drawing inspiration from what is generally the case, in these times - from how these times have shaped our internal world, whereas extroverted activities are immediate reactions to what is happening right now.

so a few things that come to mind about what different kinds of introverts may understand about the human subject is: how to attain insights about a subjective problem you are dealing with (figuring out, reverse engineering, how to learn, outside of just being bookish) (Ti), how to build up motivational momentum (Ni/Fe) or how to practice patience and to set priorities that matter most in general (Fi), how to balance attention and energy throughout your day (Ni) for a certain project/hunt you are on (always changing), how to train behavior or configure every single detail of behavior for efficiency of more permanent routines (Si), which is setting up a symbiosis with ur environment, like installing/configuring favorite software/kitchen ware/etc.

i dont know about extroverted skills right now. gotta be some fuckery, i imagine.

i can't even think of concrete examples of professions that would require introverted skills, because i am so out of touch with what exists out there.

since our culture does not appreciate, nor educate introverted skills, introverts are regarded as dumb and useless, border-lining on offensive, when we dare to impose our (not well educated) ideas on the world. so introversion has become a synonym with a perpetual state of intimidation, shyness and hatred regarding social involvement, but only because its not working out very well, because our skills weren't well educated and aren't requested.

for example: my inner world has recently been filled up with understanding of viral disease and immune reactions. now i am driven to figure out how to better understand and hack this biological situation. its a puzzle far removed from the individual case, from executing particular interventions, althoug at the end of the day i decide to take some vitamin d myself. everyone else is just trying to hack the curve, which is all about organizing economic interactions. its total extroversion, even in academia, in epidemiology. they predict what will happen when the tools are being used, that have already been used before. its just a concern with interaction. mainly extroverted thinking. little concern with rethinking the tools. this would be subjective and they think this is unscientific. in a particular case it may be "tactical" as opposed to "strategical", which has to do with i/e thinking. how dare you consider vitamin c instead of immunosupressive chemo therapy. on a naturalistic, idealistic (subject oriented) whim that suporting selfhealing with nutrition may be superior to shooting at stuff with big guns. healing people would be terrible for economy. we need economic growth.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

For example, there's no reason to believe an introvert is more studious than an extrovert. You might be challenged to find an ISTP who excelled in school or an ESTJ who didn't.

No reason to believe an introvert has better focus than an extrovert. Think of an ENTJ verses an ISFP.

I couldn't even say for certain that introverts work better independently. ISFJs need more team support and reassurance than an ENTP would.

Extroverts are usually better at networking. They're better at reaching out to strangers and better at establishing acquaintances. It allows them to immerse themsleves into a new academic or work environment quickly and effectively. If they're adequately competent and trustworthy, they will have their choice of opportunities.

Introverts are better at establishing a relationship of trust. They tend to build their reputations more slowly, but more squarely. Again, assuming the introvert is adequately competent and trustworthy. The smaller sphere of influence means fewer lateral opportunities, but perhaps more potential for steady rise (or establishing oneself in other ways).

question is which is really more important

extroverts biggest weakness is boredom and inability to focus

a_ghost_from_your_past

Ujames1978Eternally
Local time
Today 11:30 AM
-->
This whole extroverted vs. introverted false dichotomy doesn't go far enough, because it never asks the question of in which environment we are competing.
And if you were to analyze this milieu which disproportionately favours the bosses, while the people on the bottom put in the most of the work, you're going to realize it's not a question of introverts vs extroverts, but a question about the have-all and the have-nothings.
So, don't do that, don't engage in empty wealth debates when you let those who are really responsible off the hook.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 4:30 AM
-->

question is which is really more important

extroverts biggest weakness is boredom and inability to focus
I dunno. That sounds like a "P"s weaknesses.

Which is more important depends on what you want. What you want is painted by what you know and who you are.

Most people are ambiverts. I'd say that ambiverted skills are probably most important.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
I dunno. That sounds like a "P"s weaknesses.

Which is more important depends on what you want. What you want is painted by what you know and who you are.

Most people are ambiverts. I'd say that ambiverted skills are probably most important.

I think Ps weakness is internal organization With Ti and Fi which from the outside seems disorganized and prospective but it isn't necessarily the case. I think the only case to be made is that the reason it is seen as disorganized is because the standards of the inter-relationship between the likes of me and you requires communication, naturally the internal world is not transmissible. I understand this dichotomy can be rephrased in so many ways given its categorically weak precedence given an extravert is supposed to possess Te and Fe so not to say criticise your point or anything, I'm just adding to it. Ps correlate with introversion so Extroverts correlate with Judgement, which is what I think sushi (whether deliberate or not) has expressed as extroverts indeed spend less time focusing on incongruencies between data than extroverted functions.

It's a bit of both but the Judgement function is built on Extraversion.

Morrow

Dragonmaster
Local time
Today 5:30 AM
-->

Both types of skills are equally necessary in all of those areas. I personally am an introvert but I have picked up extrovert skills, because they are just that, skills. Extroverts are not bound to do great in employment or career anymore then introverts. Introverts prefer to be alone with their thoughts and focus their energy inward which allows for greater focus and overall, performing better work. Extroverts prefer focusing their energy outward which means they might be great with dealing with people, but they are more likely to lack that focus that introverts possess. However, an introvert can pick up extrovert skills like me, or the other way around. In the end, you need both sets of skills if you want to be successful.

Top Bottom