• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

ISTP and high IQ.

Local time
Today 5:12 AM
-->
Couple of weekends ago I was reading The Times magazine and it had an interview with Frank Lampard the Chelsea player. It revealed that he has an IQ of 150 or so, which was interesting because you don't look at him and think he's super smart. I only see him playing football. BUT he goes out with Christine Bleakley, a woman who I am/was obsessed with so I was curious as to what his type was. And at the time I thought he was ISTP. You can check him out and see for yourself.

Somewhere recently I read that the official smartest man in the America with an IQ round about 200, Chris Langham, was ISTP.

My dad who I'm sure is ISTP has told me that when he was young his teachers sent a letter to his mum, my gran, telling her that he had a really high IQ.

Sharon Stone has always maintained she has a high IQ, and was a member of Mensa. This has apparently been refuted by Mensa but only because she is not a member. It turns out she made it up about Mensa, but she does have an IQ of 154. And she's typed as an ISTP.

So basically I'm noticing a correlation between ISTPs and high IQ scores.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
I won't check out your readings (the accuracy of the types).
Anyhow, this is what I think...

IQ is a bias of intelligence, and yes, the (well developed) ISTP has a natural salience in this specific aspect of what intelligence really is. Now why would that be? Well... Intelligence is perspective based. In MBTI there are 16 types, so that would mean that there exists 16 different kinds of intelligence. If we would measure 1 bias of intelligence, it ought to be biased. :)

I myself too have a high IQ. However, I admit, I am really stupid. The only intelligence I have is that of INFJ. I can successfully subjectively inductive reason an interpretation of reality by taking it in the realm of philosophical speculation. But in the realm of deductive reasoning, I am extremely stupid. But I digress, let's get back to IQ.

ISTPs are literal perceptive. They stay within that what is concrete. A test is per definition literal. Moreover it is per definition about judging the external. This is IP (To judge the external). Then the last dichotomy. T/F. T is obviously more testable. However, also F is highly competent when it comes to (testable) intelligence. But Intelligent Fs tend to be typed as T >.>

Ink

Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
I'll throw in Tony Hawk as ISTP with high IQ as well...

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 12:12 PM
-->
I am possibly ISTP, but dumb as rocks.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 1:12 PM
-->
Couple of weekends ago I was reading The Times magazine and it had an interview with Frank Lampard the Chelsea player. It revealed that he has an IQ of 150 or so, which was interesting because you don't look at him and think he's super smart. I only see him playing football. BUT he goes out with Christine Bleakley, a woman who I am/was obsessed with so I was curious as to what his type was. And at the time I thought he was ISTP. You can check him out and see for yourself.

If I was smart and could play football, I'd play football too.

Ink

Local time
-->
I remember reading a study (not sure how serious it was) a while back that claimed INTJs had the highest average IQ followed by INTPs. Not that I value a high IQ too much.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:42 PM
-->
From what I've read, that was the case but the difference was not at all substantial.

Edit: and I mean the difference between all of the types, not just between the top two. The range of means was like 5 points or something.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
I remember reading a study (not sure how serious it was) a while back that claimed INTJs had the highest average IQ followed by INTPs. Not that I value a high IQ too much.
On INTJf, multiple INTJs have said that INTPs scored higher in IQ tests and scholastic aptitude tests, while INTJs score much better in academic qualifications.

I'm inclined to agree.

Ink

Local time
-->
From what I've read, that was the case but the difference was not at all substantial.

Edit: and I mean the difference between all of the types, not just between the top two. The range of means was like 5 points or something.

In summary, here's what the statistics indicate about the correlation between personality traits and IQ:
Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person (one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on sensory details and the here-and-now).

Again, other traits being the same, an Introverted person is 8 times more likely to have a high IQ than one who is Extraverted; a Thinking (logic-oriented) person is 2.5 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Feeling (people-oriented) person; and a Judging person (one who seeks closure) is about twice as likely to have a high IQ than a Perceiving person (one who likes to keep his options open).

Moreover, if you encounter an INTJ (Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging), there is a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent of the population. The probability is 20% for an INTP, 15% for an INFJ, and 8% for an INFP. These four types account for 66% of the high-IQ population but only 6% of the total population.

Source:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Ouch, I really wanted to see the source.

If true, those claims are impressive. The biggest claim I've seen pertaining to type yet.

It doesn't add up in my experience or from what I've read, but I'll suspend disbelief.

Ink

Local time
-->
On INTJf, multiple INTJs have said that INTPs scored higher in IQ tests and scholastic aptitude tests, while INTJs score much better in academic qualifications.

I'm inclined to agree.

I scored 131 on an IQ test my INTJ friend had on his phone which he scored 118 on. That's as far as my experience with INTJs doing IQ tests goes... In theory though I can see Ni has the potential of being superior to Ti in the mensa style tests though

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
My INTJ housemate claims to have an IQ over 150. He is very intelligent, I just don't know which test he took. Also, a surprising number of people lie about their results (understandably).

TBH, I don't think IQ is even a thing for INTJ's. They are basically hard-wired for success regardless.

h0bby1

Local time
-->
originally IQ was designed to detect children that were having issue at school, to differentiate from mentally deficiency and people who still are able to learn but can have difficulty to follow school program or not being interested into it, it's pretty loose measurement in anycase =)

i mean IQ test is what in substance ? being able to make fast symbol association, being able to see geometric pattern, or suite of numbers, it doesn't prove much in itself, it's much like brain academy of nintendo ds, which has been more or less proven not to even really improve much school performance or anything

it can be usefull to detect potential of children of low age, if they are autistic or something, but not much more =)

i mean you really think an iphone app can tell how smart you are ? :)

Paladin-X

ISTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:12 PM
-->
it can be usefull to detect potential of children of low age, if they are autistic or something, but not much more =)

In what way does an IQ test detect autism? It is not the same thing as mental retardation. I am autistic with an IQ in the 98th percentile.

h0bby1

Local time
-->
it doesn't specially detect autism in particular , but it can make difference with mentally deficient person and person who can have other type of learning disability but still able to learn at school

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:12 PM
-->
I'm an ISTP with a high IQ. Gimme a medal. Or was it just autism. Gimme a bed in the asylum, nvm.

Top Bottom