• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

ISTP/INTP and career advice.

McBean

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 11:04 PM
-->
I'm sure the "what should I do?" posts get old, but there are alot of intelligent people on here that I believe give pretty sound advice.

First of all, I've tested INTP a number of times taking the Meyers-Briggs, but the discription only fits me halfway and the ISTP description seems to be just as accurate. My belief is that I'm probably something like 52%S and 48%N and really when it's all said and done, that's not much difference. Just curious if this seems likely to you guys, or if I'm just misinterpreting or over thinking questions.

With that said, I wonder if this causes motivational/career problems. In a previous thread I posted that I want to be a football coach and have ever since I realized going pro was not in the cards for this skinny white guy with average white guy speed. I love the X's and O's of the game, and I love reading books written by coaches. I've also been lucky enough to be a student coach for the university of southern miss, and am entering my 3rd year with that. Now, I knew there was alot more to coaching than just X's and O's, but the more politics and banquets I see/attend and the longer I've been a "slap-dick" as they call us, my joy is being sucked away. And the next step would be to GA and suffer through two more years of being a slappy.

So I started questioning if college coaching was my niche or if I should go the HS route. The problem with the HS route is the X's and O's part of the game has to be dumbed way down due to time limitations and what not. You also run into parents who know nothing about the game, but will come raise hell bc their son isn't playing.

So lately, I've been questioning if coaching is really what I should do at all. W/ my ISTP tendencies, I look back on my life and some of my most joy filled moments were training by myself and being just totally spent after a game or a hard workout. My favorite vacation(s) my family ever took was a ski trip to Colorado. The beauty of the place erased all my worries, the exhaustion after a day full of skiing, and then retiring by a fire was probably the best memory of my life. So now I wonder, should I be a ski instructor? Although I've only skiied(sp) two weeks out of my entire life? I also know they make very little money. I'm not a big money guy. I make few purchases, but would like to just be relatively stable. I just don't know how I could do that.

Anyways, that's pretty much it. The post is prob a little all over the place and may have a few grammatical errors, but I'm on my phone and am not gonna proofread. Any advice towards how to make this decision or maybe suggestions to possible other careers would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:04 PM
-->
I'd say your canonical type is definitely ISTP. That means you have Ni in the tertiary which means you are also an intuitive which is probably what you are picking up on.

Hard to say but there are worse things than being a HS coach. Such as having your summers taken away from you by any other job.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:04 AM
-->
I've also been lucky enough to be a student coach for the university of southern miss, and am entering my 3rd year with that. Now, I knew there was alot more to coaching than just X's and O's, but the more politics and banquets I see/attend and the longer I've been a "slap-dick" as they call us, my joy is being sucked away. And the next step would be to GA and suffer through two more years of being a slappy.
I have no idea what you want (not being you and all), but, I can say this: no matter what profession you end up in, you'll have to learn the politics of the job, the politics of the people, etc., etc. And, you'll have to be slapped around for a while. So, the question isn't "is going through all this crap worth it to be a coach" because you have to go through all that crap anyway. The question is "do you want to be a coach?"

If the answer is yes, then, stick with it. Figure out the politics, the people, etc.

If the answer is no, then remember you're going to face all this crap elsewhere anyway.

Top Bottom