• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Its finally happened, INTP or INFJ

DrSketchpad

Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
Sorry for a kind of lengthy post.

So, the past year or two I've been researching MBTI, the functions, pretty much everything I can find on the matter. So I have a pretty good understanding of this area. One thing that finally happened to me as I'm sure a lot of you have been through, I'm doubting my type.

First of all, I've always been the quiet guy who rarely has an expression on his face
that spends most of his time thinking, philosophizing, etc.. One of the best things that has happened to me is finding and researching about INTPs because I relate SO well with every description, every article on the type, I never thought I could be a feeler, nor did I ever consider I could be an INFJ. UNTIL I started reading something that caught my interest. It basically stated that some INFJs will act and kind of think like INTPs if they have a developed Ti. So, naturally I researched some more, and you know what? I kind of identified with the functions put there. All I could think was:
"Could I have been wrong this whole time?"

"Could I have confused the functions?"

So, again, naturally I came for reassurance. I'm not saying it'd be BAD to be an INFJ its just that I've spent hours on the forum identifying with SO much, its kind of disconcerting that I could be something OTHER than an INTP.

What I ask of you, INTPforum is to help me come to a conclusion, any and all help would be appreciated.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:04 PM
-->
We tend to absorb the qualities of other people as we grow older. As we grow, the other functions become more and more pronounced. So far in my life, I see my Fe development making me a bit more and more "NF-like". I'm still tasked-oriented but have become more and more people-oriented as time goes by. I'm still cold by NF's standards but I do shudder at the lengths "SJ"s would go to fulfill their tasks.

If I remembered correctly, another forum member has questioned my "INTPness" due to some of my posts. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I tested other than INTP this time.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:04 PM
-->
It seems like an almost INTP trait to second guess their, 'type'. TiNe is very chameleon-like, in that it can entertain a variety of polarizing ideas at the same time. The tendency to detach from value judgments typically makes INTP minds very pliable. Which can lead to confusion as to what our beliefs really are, because they seemingly change and adapt to every new piece of knowledge.

In essence I think the easiest thing to do is to identify whether you're an Ni or Ne user. Thinking in words seems to be a common Ne manifestation (discussions with the self where one assumes the roles of other people - this is a manifestation of NeSi working in tandem. New connections are being made through incoming knowledge (Ne), and we are figuratively pitting them against past details and ideas (Si)) or thinking in concepts - less concerned with pitting ideas against one another, more to do with experiencing each concept fully (NiSe dichotomy, whereby Ni internally provides the concept, and Se seeks to 'flesh out' this concept through experiencing it).

Not the best explanation I can give, though I think it's easier to identify whether you're an NiSe or NeSi user than it is to identify where in your functional stack Fe and Ti are...

...easier based on the fact that this is what's apparently confusing you in the first place.

Maybe you just have very good Fi?

Huh?

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 7:04 AM
-->
here is a relevant article i picked up somewhere in the Aether:

Ti doms and NiFe types have nothing in common.

don't tell me about Ti. plains and cars have nothing in common either. don't tell me about engines. one thing flies, the other one drives. when a car's engine (Ti) stops, it parks (Ni dom), when a plains engine stops, it falls from the sky (Ti dom).

you should assume that when you are doubting your type crossing over two dichotomies something is probably wrong with the matrix (understanding of typology) you try to project your data (your known self) into.

any dichotomy-tested INTP who begins to resonate with Ni dominant types of whom he thinks as "INFJ", is most likely on the verge of realizing, that he has been INTp-NiTe all along. he is that irrational type who has little interest in discriminating thinking against feeling, as both are only of secondary concern to him anyway, all that matters to him is the mystic shit of Ni, subjectively exploring the unseen and untestable chaos of being and he mistook that interest for "Ti". also, since Ni is concerned with human subjectivity, closing out feeling entirely is unthinkable for this type, because they are a part of the subject. his preference for thinking is in the situation and he thinks about feelings, respecting them in principle, making him successful as a teacher.

and now it's time to realize that INTP, INFJ and INTJ do not exist in reality, because mbti dichotomies are inherently broken theories and the mbti function assignment with those dichotomies are broken too.

and any individual who rightfully identifies heavily with a dominance of what Ti really is (subjective stragegies and agendas, machiavellian schemes, methodologies and meta-methodologies, such as how "to question" thoughts) and who begins to sympathize with the J dichotomy of INFJ is beginning to realize, what it means to be T dominant, it means he is J dominant, he is that worldly execution driven (Pe) type, who act with dominant and anti authoritative attitude (Ti = independently judging), he is that mastermind (Ti) who is labeled INTJ and INTj. he is interested in acting in the objective world, where it's entirely possible to loose all interest in feeling and focus on thinking exclusively. ideally he interacts not with peoples feeling but with all other aspects of reality. his Fe shadow tells him, how disengage from his Ti interest while slide along in human matters, while his Fe informed Ti knows how to advertise and sell his agendas to others, making him successful in business.

DrSketchpad

Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
So basically, it's second nature for an INTP to indentify with different types because of the INTP's functions?

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:04 AM
-->
It seems like an almost INTP trait to second guess their, 'type'. TiNe is very chameleon-like, in that it can entertain a variety of polarizing ideas at the same time. The tendency to detach from value judgments typically makes INTP minds very pliable. Which can lead to confusion as to what our beliefs really are, because they seemingly change and adapt to every new piece of knowledge.

In essence I think the easiest thing to do is to identify whether you're an Ni or Ne user. Thinking in words seems to be a common Ne manifestation (discussions with the self where one assumes the roles of other people - this is a manifestation of NeSi working in tandem. New connections are being made through incoming knowledge (Ne), and we are figuratively pitting them against past details and ideas (Si)) or thinking in concepts - less concerned with pitting ideas against one another, more to do with experiencing each concept fully (NiSe dichotomy, whereby Ni internally provides the concept, and Se seeks to 'flesh out' this concept through experiencing it).

Not the best explanation I can give, though I think it's easier to identify whether you're an NiSe or NeSi user than it is to identify where in your functional stack Fe and Ti are...

...easier based on the fact that this is what's apparently confusing you in the first place.

Huh?

Interesting. I never thought I was INFJ personally however, another forumer seems to disagree with my assessment.

I really didn't understand the difference between Ne and Ni. However giving your explanation I can now have more ammunition against said forumer. I am defiantly more Ne then Ni.

I use to get upset with people when I was younger because before I would talk to someone I would play the conversation in my head and then I would get upset when the other person didn't fallow the lines I picked for them. I and Ne for sure.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 7:04 AM
-->
So basically, it's second nature for an INTP to indentify with different types because of the INTP's functions?

that reads like a response to what redbaron said: "TiNe is very chameleon-like, in that it can entertain a variety of polarizing ideas at the same time. "

or, in case you were addressing me, no, that's not what i said :confused:

socionics has a concept called demonstrative functions.

http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/functions/Id/

" this function is used quite often in private, to produce information of its element to support their creative function when focusing on making contact with the external world. A person will often have just as sophisticated an understanding of this function as his or her leading function. "

it's the one they list in the eighth position in their profiles for every type, for instance Ti and Fi doms have Ni as demonstrative function, NiTe have Ti as demonstrative, NiFe have Fi as demonstrative.

if this is true, it's a good explanation for why we can so wrong about our type, especially as introverts who are more likely to identify with some cognition that makes them proud in their intellectual output, than with drives their behavior in life.

Top Bottom