• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Literature research

Redfire

and Blood
Local time
Today, 12:09
Does anyone know any literature researcher? What do they study, exactly? Can you pick any field? I imagine doing a PhD based on Tolkien or something like that would be very entertaining. It's hard to believe someone would actually pay you to do that, though.

On a related note: what do you learn in a Literature MA? Can you do anything with it apart from getting a PhD?

Puffy

Demon Alpaca Overlord
Local time
I have a literature MA and am likely embarking on a literature PhD if I get the scholarship/ funding. At the end of the day a certain number of scholarships exist, but it is very competitive (in the Humanities as a whole) and ultimately comes down to your prior grades and how you argue for your proposal (if its a PhD generally you come up with the proposal or with your adviser.)

Literature is a pretty broad field that covers essentially any narrative medium you can think of, fiction or non-fiction. My specialty is in visual culture, primarily comics and graphic novels but also film, so it doesn't have to be as conventional as you'd think. There's also usually a lot of 'critical theory' and philosophy mixed in which you use as 'lenses' to interpret texts. If you were considering it, I'd advise reading into the department of each University you're considering and pick on the basis of how the department's interests and courses align with yours.

(happy to answer anything else another time, need to hurry off out this moment.)

Redfire

and Blood
Local time
The field sounds amazing. The main thing discouraging me from it is that I'm not sure I'd tolerate the teaching load. But I think the actual research would be endlessly stimulating.

Top Bottom