• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Major senses

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 2:06 AM
-->
So, I am currently ill and have a cold. I found myself utter quite an odd sentence so I had to question it and bring it here.

I said, “I hate being sick, my sense of smell is nearly totally gone, and that’s my favourite sense.”

So that made me wonder; disregarding actual usefulness, how would you rate your senses? In terms of how much vitality and richness they bring you? I think mine goes:
  1. Smell
  2. Touch
  3. Taste
  4. Sight
  5. Sound

I know there are more senses ‘technically’ - like equilibrium. I suppose you could excite that by doing gymnastics or riding rollercoasters and such. So let’s just go with a top 5.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:06 PM
-->
depends on the context

i don't get anything from smelling my phone while it plays music, and i don't get anything from listening closely to the coffee i drink (except for when it makes the voices :))

i like to touch stuff though, i guess? my first instinct upon seeing something interesting is probably to poke it

i'd definitely get rid of my sense of smell before my tactile senses

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
Who cares about smell, man. I only use smell to check if I can re-use unwashed shirts.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I really wound not want to give up any of them. We have them all, because they are all essential for life. Now of course you can live without some of them, but it would suck.

On otherhand if there is some sure way to upgrade any of the senses I would love to hear it.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
My eyesight is everything. The visual cortex, Visual-spatial, visual-motor, co-ordination, depth perception, 3D modelling yada yada yada; it all depends on sight.

My rankings:
- Sight
-Sound
-Touch
-Smell
-Taste

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 2:06 AM
-->
Based on "vitality and richness":