• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Memory

travelnjones

Local time
Yesterday 9:48 PM
-->
Is a good memory an INTP thing? I have been shocked lately by a weird combination of bullshit and memory. I have noticed on two occasions people co opting stories as their own experience. I don't know if that is their memory being bad or some willful bs. The issue is they seem to think I don't or won't know this. In one case someone claimed to have done a prank that was from a popular internet video, the other was a story I had told myself.

In other instances that confuse me people tell the same story again and again, I am surprised by this as well. I remember the story don't you remember telling me the story?

Rolling Cattle

no backbone
Local time
Today 12:48 AM
-->
I remember the story don't you remember telling me the story?

As far as I can recollect, I believe we just met.

Maybe it's because values are: talking = bonding, silence = awkwardness. And then topics keep triggering the story. Idk, maybe there be a memory impairment.

Or maybe I'm actually talking about myself. :noddy:

You could try asking questions. Or do experiments.

baccheion

Local time
Today 12:48 AM
-->
Probably. I also tend to have a good memory. On the other hand, it may be an Si thing.

travelnjones

Local time
-->
Well from non scientific observation, people pay no attention to the words that come out of their mouths

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Yesterday 10:48 PM
-->
I have noticed on two occasions people co opting stories as their own experience. I don't know if that is their memory being bad or some willful bs. The issue is they seem to think I don't or won't know this.

From the last sentence in this quote, I get the impression these two know each other and you to some extent. They are bullshitting you, for what reason, idk. But two people who know you and also know each other who are telling you the same story isn't a fault of either's memory, one or both are lying to you.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:18 PM
-->
What? No that can definitely happen Creeping Death.

Memory is fragile af. I've seen this happen multiple times to people in good health. It's just source confusion and it happens all the time, though usually in a way that is deniable. You remember the contents of a story but forget the input variables. Many memories of events are semantic in nature, rather than episodic, so it's easy to muddle things about.

Local time
Today 2:48 PM
-->
Is a good memory an INTP thing?

I don't think it's an INTP thing or an ENTP thing or an ESFJ thing or whatever else insofar as they can be argued to be valid categories of classification.

I find it a bit troubling when people go around asserting that this group of people is good in this or bad at that. It just seems like self-gratification to me honestly.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:48 PM
-->
All alone in the moooonliiiight....

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 5:48 AM
-->
There are mainly two things we remember the best. Things that trigger some sort of emotion in us, and things that we focus on all the time. So for example when you focus on bad things we tend to remember bad things, and when we are in good mood and focus on good things we remember good things, and when we focus on particular things like people we tend to notice them more and remember about them more and when we focus more on objects we tend to remember objects more. When we focus more on numbers we tend to remember more numbers and when we focus more on events we have better memory on events. Where your attention is focused most is where your memory is strongest. That and dont forget emotions as well.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I don’t think there are any better models out.

If someone tries to give you something to read, don’t. It probably won’t help, instead, just continue in your path. Or, put it in some queue or speed read it asap so you can say you understood something.

People are good at making you second guess yourself, and they can also try to convince you something is wrong with you, just as some “indirect” way of finding out some information to satiate their own curiosity.

Dean Moriarty (Neal Cassady) could memorize whole verses of Proust (Marcel, the French writer who wrote “In Search if Lost Time”). And, I can’t remember if it’s better to read an original first or a translation. I’d avoid most, and stick to the original creator’s intent, at first. It’s why I wanted to read certain manga in the original language instead of translations, fan ones at that. A lot of them are almost unnecessary.

Faulty memory doesn’t automatically mean suffering.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Ignorance is bliss?

Top Bottom