• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Mentally Traumatizing Movies

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 3:15 AM
-->
It won't be any better the second time around... the CG are a bit dated now and it's tough not to pick on them a little bit. Maybe give the commentary a go and then try re-watching it. It won't be any scarier but maybe the insight gained from the commentary might make it a modicum more interesting at least. :)

I ended up watching it again last Friday.

Yeah, I'm still harshing on it. It's not much more than a cobbled pastiche of better scifi/horror flicks. I can see all the influences. The character arcs aren't really handled well. Considering it only clocks in at 1:25 or 1:30, it seems like a bunch of stuff was tossed in the edit room too.

Plus, I didn't really find it scary. Just dumb people doing dumb things or having random awful things happen to them without much coherence. Sometimes that can work (like Nightmare on Elm Street sequence) if the film is self-aware enough to not take itself seriously and/or focus on the dark humor instead, but Event Horizon isn't that film.

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Today 4:15 AM
-->
I ended up watching it again last Friday.

Yeah, I'm still harshing on it. It's not much more than a cobbled pastiche of better scifi/horror flicks. I can see all the influences. The character arcs aren't really handled well. Considering it only clocks in at 1:25 or 1:30, it seems like a bunch of stuff was tossed in the edit room too.

Plus, I didn't really find it scary. Just dumb people doing dumb things or having random awful things happen to them without much coherence. Sometimes that can work (like Nightmare on Elm Street sequence) if the film is self-aware enough to not take itself seriously and/or focus on the dark humor instead, but Event Horizon isn't that film.
Ahhh. Jenny, I'm sorry you won't get that time back. ;)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Ahhh. Jenny, I'm sorry you won't get that time back. ;)

I chalked it up as "suffering for the art."

I rented "Don't Breathe" tonight on DVD for $1.50. It's gotta be better.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Today 1:15 AM
-->
Was any else a little bothered by that scene in the Green Mile when MCD grabbed Tom Hanks' junk?

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Today 4:15 AM
-->
Never saw the green mile but now I want to write to Tom Hanks.

"Dude when that dude grabbed your junk in that movie... what was your first thought? Was it Brando? Butter?"

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->
Jacobs Ladder is a good one to traumatize. I find psychological horror does the trick much better.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
OK. I've heard people raving about The Conjuring 2. First one was just kind of, "Meh." About to give it a try. Drunken review coming in about 2 hours.

WhatWasThat

Local time
Today 2:15 AM
-->
It has some comedic moments as well but "A Clockwork Orange" is pretty disturbing at times. It's one of my favorite films though.

Since someone already mentioned Requiem for a Dream, Pi (by the same director) deserves a mention as well.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Angel Baby

Jacobs Ladder is a good one to traumatize. I find psychological horror does the trick much better.

Yep most "normal" horror movies are more funny than scary (bad acting, obvious twists/jump scares, gore for no reason, same old story every time, etc)

Jacob's Ladder was great though in a sort of "I probably don't ever want to see this again but it's an amazing movie" sort of way. All of the movies I listed basically deal with people losing their mind, distortions of reality, etc.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
OK. I've heard people raving about The Conjuring 2. First one was just kind of, "Meh." About to give it a try. Drunken review coming in about 2 hours.

The Conjuring (1) was better in my opinion.

The second one was just more of the same + some over the top demon stuff.

the main reason I find it interesting is that I already knew of the Warrens long before this. I spent some years online trying to find and collect books about demonology. I had the bio book of them called "THe Demonologist" which even had a black and white photo section including pics of the raggedy anne doll named Annabelle. ("Annabelle" the movie kind of sucks too, btw. Some unsettling stuff I guess, but it's all kind of trope and not emotionally engaging.)

---

I saw CLockwork Orange back in my film class in college. I should rewatch it. I just remember the juxtaposition of positive/classical music with disturbing psychopathic violence, which considering I wasn't heavily into film at the time, was really novel to me as a technique.

....well, I remember the milk bar as well. I grew up in quaint little religious rural america. That was surreal to me at the time.

Rixus

Local time
-->
Unfortunately, I didn't get around to watching much of it. I kind of passed out drunk halfway through and don't remember it. I will watch it sober tonight.

I did see the start, and it looked OK. If the same as the first. I didn't like the nun - too much and a bit OTT. I'd rather not see what's scaring us, really. The shouting old guy was a good touch, but I don't know what that dog thing was.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Unfortunately, I didn't get around to watching much of it. I kind of passed out drunk halfway through and don't remember it....

hehehe

f7c338501594b26c524a356dfdf8a7eb.jpg

Rixus

Local time
-->
The Conjuring (1) was better in my opinion.

The second one was just more of the same + some over the top demon stuff.

the main reason I find it interesting is that I already knew of the Warrens long before this. I spent some years online trying to find and collect books about demonology. I had the bio book of them called "THe Demonologist" which even had a black and white photo section including pics of the raggedy anne doll named Annabelle. ("Annabelle" the movie kind of sucks too, btw. Some unsettling stuff I guess, but it's all kind of trope and not emotionally engaging.)

I just finished Conjuring 2 (totally sober this time.) I actually enjoyed it. I would have rather the nun be more extreme and not seen properly - perhaps unable to see her face would have creeped be out more. But it had some nice haunting moments and had a good atmosphere. Could have tormented the little boy a bit more.

The pictures in the credits were a nice touch - it adds something to it.

I've been wondering about Anabelle. I thought they'd covered the doll enough in the first one, really. My friend says it's really terrifying, but she is a complete wuss with films. When we went to see Lights Out, she was clinging to my arm so tightly her nails dug in and actually drew blood.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I just finished Conjuring 2 (totally sober this time.) I actually enjoyed it. I would have rather the nun be more extreme and not seen properly - perhaps unable to see her face would have creeped be out more. But it had some nice haunting moments and had a good atmosphere. Could have tormented the little boy a bit more.

The pictures in the credits were a nice touch - it adds something to it.

I've been wondering about Anabelle. I thought they'd covered the doll enough in the first one, really. My friend says it's really terrifying, but she is a complete wuss with films. When we went to see Lights Out, she was clinging to my arm so tightly her nails dug in and actually drew blood.

Basically it has some jump scares, but the characterization / human drama / character behavior is pretty dumb, which for me is a dealbreaker.

I like the pictures in the credits as well. I didn't say Conjuring 2 was a bad movie... just that if you've seen the first, there's not a ton of surprises in the second, and it felt like it was trying to outdo the first movie. Although the nun character is pretty unsettling.

lucky12

walking on air
Local time
-->
Come and see.

Russian movie; follows the life of a young boy who gets caught up in the war. The people in his area have to fight off the SS.

Its got a lot of drawn out scenes that make you feel uncomfortable. The director manifests fear and discomfort in a lot of ways throughout the movie.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

dutchdisease

Local time
-->
Forgot I had created this thread, surprised to see it is still thriving.

Rixus

Local time
-->
I usually reactivate it on a Friday when trying to find something worth watching - and then Jenny comes along and gives some always useful advice. It's becoming a tradition.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 8:15 AM
-->
didn't bother to watch c2 all the way to the end because ... yawn

but that scene wherein the kid is pulled at the legs, in bed, southwards was slightly unnerving because this is one of the things that happen to me in pseudo lucid dreams all the fucking time. sometimes i just witness it with aloof curiosity, sometimes i am actually scared. either way, i don't need a movie to give me bad dreams.

Local time
-->
Come and see.

Russian movie; follows the life of a young boy who gets caught up in the war. The people in his area have to fight off the SS.

Its got a lot of drawn out scenes that make you feel uncomfortable. The director manifests fear and discomfort in a lot of ways throughout the movie.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

i had nightmares about this film after watching it. probably the most emotionally taxing film ive ever seen

----------------
saw andrzej zulawski's posession with my friend...all the yelling was hilarious at first...but then i had enough of it and all the violence and gore....then came the scene where....(you'll know it when you see it) and i was like "okay......................................................................"
i still have no idea wtf that abomination was about

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
"Come and See" seemed to have pretty decent reviews. I'll be adding that and "Evolution" to my view list.

Saw Rogue One today. Can't say it was mentally traumatizing, especially since we have a good idea how it ends ahead of time. But damn, is it bittersweet... and the Alliance actually is grayer "morality wise" than Lucas ever permitted.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 8:15 AM
-->
I don't think films have mentally traumatized me with a permanent notable signature.. Maybe with the exception of Two girls One cup. I think it's the soundtrack.

Films like Never Let Me Go or Dancer in the Dark made me uneasy, as I thought the makers captured a form of essence of human nature.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I don't think films have mentally traumatized me with a permanent notable signature.. Maybe with the exception of Two girls One cup. I think it's the soundtrack.

Films like Never Let Me Go or Dancer in the Dark made me uneasy, as I thought the makers captured a form of essence of human nature.

I have seen Never Let Me Go; yes, I wouldn't call it "traumatizing" in terms of impact on audience, but it is a heavy movie, I hurt after watching it. it really makes you think and has some relevancy to today's world. (I have to get around to Dancer in the Dark, but I've seen a number of von Trier movies... Breaking the Waves is the one that comes to mind now, another heavy movie. All of his movies generally create some degree of discomfort.)

Local time
-->
you guys....what did you like about never let me go?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
you guys....what did you like about never let me go?

Was there something you didn't like about it?

it was a little slow in spots (I've never read the book), but the acting was good, there was pathos, and there's already ambiguity over property ownership with the advent of new medical procedures in today's world. It has a bit of an unsettling undercurrent but is mostly profoundly sad.

Local time
-->
Was there something you didn't like about it?

not really...the film/book were just a little too underwhelming so im surprised you found it so powerful
but then again the appreciation i could have had for the story was probably killed by the book(read it before watching the film).....it dragged and dragged....the movie had less unnecessary filler in it but i already knew the story so the magic was lost i guess

i did really like the ruth(i hope im not mixing up names here? its been years)(its the keira kneightley character) character. preferred her to the main girl
in the book it always felt like ruth, although selfish and what not, was always more transparent, freespirited and involuntarily honest...unlike the main girl who was always repressed and annoyingly "mature"

i also love the song scene and the song itself ^_^

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
not really...the film/book were just a little too underwhelming so im surprised you found it so powerful
but then again the appreciation i could have had for the story was probably killed by the book(read it before watching the film).....it dragged and dragged....the movie had less unnecessary filler in it but i already knew the story so the magic was lost i guess

Yes, it felt a little different going into it cold. It was definitely a "cool" movie in terms of emotional heat -- the emotions for me were triggered mainly by the slow burn of watch them trying to escape their fate over time and slowly watching hope crumble. I felt like I knew Kathy very well by the end and could understand her... how she keeps everything under wraps and is so controlling of her own surface-level expression and helps people by doing things for them / being with them. She also missed out on some opportunities by keeping so much inside and pretending it did not exist.

i did really like the ruth(i hope im not mixing up names here? its been years)(its the keira kneightley character) character. preferred her to the main girl in the book it always felt like ruth, although selfish and what not, was always more transparent and involuntarily honest...unlike the main girl who was always repressed and psuedo mature
Well, I wouldn't call it "pseudo mature" in that her motivations were good, but yes it was a choice on her part about how to express herself and what she chose to do with her time. All types tend to pick the way they feel most comfortable in terms of expressing themselves, based on their values, and all the characters were children and then teens, all of them immature. But I agree about Ruth -- she might have been blatantly selfish/immature at times but she was also very upfront and you knew exactly where she stood, and she just was what she was. Tommy probably was the least fleshed out; he had anger issues which tracked from what was happening to him but I didn't know a ton else about him...

i also love the song scene and the song itself ^_^
I still can feel the "mood" of the movie as I sit here and recall it. Just melancholy. Not necessarily in a bad way, but... basically watching people come to grips that their lives are not their own due to a fluke they could not control and there will be no reprieve, and how is that fair with some lives having more importance than others... although isn't our world already like this?

BTW, Alex Garland (the guy who adapted the book into a script) is the director/writer of Ex Machina, the screenwriter for Sunshine and 28 Days Later, etc.

Local time
-->
at first i disliked ruth, but the more the story progressed, the more i warmed up to her
i felt bad for her, she always wore her heart on her sleeve and naively thought that kathy liked her, when all this time kathy secretly found her company insufferable
i kept getting more and more restless reading kathy's monologues as she literally lives her entire life in her head, never confronting people about things that upset her, never doing anything about anything, looking down on people like ruth...and in the end what good did any of that do? nothing. it was ruth who really lived her life

the film was better in that there was more emphasis on this...umm....lost time sentiment...and the hallowing regret i guess
the book focused on...i dunno man...other things

Local time
-->
by the way...it just came back to me as i typed my last post
but have you seen the adaptation of/read the authour's other book? i love love loved the remains of the day
it has very similar themes, but was 10 times better
also the film has emma thompson <3

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
by the way...it just came back to me as i typed my last post
but have you seen the adaptation of/read the authour's other book? i love love loved the remains of the day
it has very similar themes, but was 10 times better
also the film has emma thompson <3

yes!

It has been a long long time since i have seen it so I do not remember many details at this point (aside from the ending) -- Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, and Christopher Reeve before he was paralyzed. I have been planning to rewatch it for years but just never got around to it; yet the feelings aroused by it still linger.

Local time
-->
saw in a year with 13 moons yesterday
the slaughterhouse scene was impossible to watch
rest of the film is ridiculously depressing too, Elvira has to be the most pitiful character ever made

also ive been listening to a song for europe non stop since finishing the film...not so christmas-y :(

Top Bottom