• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Mention tags not working

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
Today 4:03 AM
-->
I've tried to use the mention tag pair in the hopes that whoever I mention will be notified that I've responded to something he or she has posted ... but to no avail.
By way of experiment I'm about to try to mention my own user name:
[MENTION]gps[/MENTION]

What gives?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I've tried to use the mention tag pair in the hopes that whoever I mention will be notified that I've responded to something he or she has posted ... but to no avail.
By way of experiment I'm about to try to mention my own user name:
[MENTION]gps[/MENTION]

What gives?

Did those ever work here? I can't remember...

They're actually a plugin, i believe, in vBulletin; so if the site doesn't have the plugin installed they won't work.

This site is running off old versions of software, although I think it's been stabilized a bit in the last number of months. Still, there's stuff that doesn't work. For example, the YouTube vids do not appear in posts anymore.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
-->
I recall they were taken out as a feature because they were a security hole, and the site got attacked by someone exploiting that. I may be wrong though.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:33 PM
-->
They were working once. They were broken before I was a moderator though. IIRC they stopped working after some security difficulties, I think Happy has the right of it.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
Ahhh ... thanks!
I'll stop trying to use the mention feature.
It would be nice if the mention option disappeared from the edit menu so I and other fools would not be tempted to use it

Thanks to all who took time to provide me clues!

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
For example, the YouTube vids do not appear in posts anymore.

That addresses another issue I found.
I ended up inserting the youtube URL in a code block within a post so that at least peeps could copy-then-paste into a new browser tab.
Not as convenient, but useful for those willing to endure the extra step and effort.

Sometimes it's useful to just be able to embed something or other in a post so that when an accessor accesses it via the `quote' button the information becomes visible in the editor app even it was not visible in the viewing app.

The `code' tags -- as at least one alternative -- allow info to be made visible via the viewing app even though it might not be readily apparent what *might* be done with it OR what the author would have preferred to be done with it as per a better tag pair ... if they were working.

Thanks for the info Jenny!

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
-->
There's many problems with this site, many caused by security breaches over the years. Its best to just accept them all as character quirks.

Top Bottom