• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

My low processing speeed index

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:53 AM
-->
Here is the definition.

At its core, the processing speed index measures a child’s ability efficiently to scan and understand visual information and complete a task with the data. … Processing speed measures assess a child’s speed and accuracy of identifying visual information, making decisions, and acting on these decisions.

I do have trouble scanning visual information and making decisions.
I feel like my brain is stuck or contorted.
I have been trying to improve my attention.
To see more and hold information in my thoughts.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:23 PM
-->
How bad are you?

My visual processing is quite poor for novel stimuli, but for predictable stimuli it's good. I'm terrible at fast computer games with a lot going on, but I read pretty deece.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
My eyes are blurry most of the time.
I think too much and my vision suffers for it.
Going inward all the time offsets gaze direction.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:23 PM
-->
Is your eyes being blurry the same thing as processing speed? My vision isn't blurry, it just takes a little longer for me to register what's happening. It's not really noticeable until I'm forced to do complex reflexive actions.

It'd be kinda funny if you've got a vision problem not a visual processing problem...

Deleted member 1424

I did remarkably well, given the fact that I consider myself nigh face-blind. I got 9/14, but expected a score of 5-7.

baccheion

Local time
Today 3:53 AM
-->
Here is the definition.

At its core, the processing speed index measures a child’s ability efficiently to scan and understand visual information and complete a task with the data. … Processing speed measures assess a child’s speed and accuracy of identifying visual information, making decisions, and acting on these decisions.

I do have trouble scanning visual information and making decisions.
I feel like my brain is stuck or contorted.
I have been trying to improve my attention.
To see more and hold information in my thoughts.
Maybe dopamine/acetylcholine/testosterone (if male) is low. Is there some sort of health thing or is it wiring?

I got 11/14 on the test.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
When I am thinking I stop paying attention to my vision.
I lose touch with the external world and focus inward.
I do not like looking at things in my field of view.

I tried doing that test but stopped at the 4th one.
It took too much effort to scan them.

Scanning and recognition problems could be connected to the autism spectrum. Uneven brain functioning. Sometimes I talk super fast. My eyes dash all over the place. If I could simply look at things without judgment I would function better.

It has to do with perception. When I am self-aware it is better. When numb I am less aware. But the most drastic is that judgment interferes with perception.

I need to look at things without making judgments.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
Psssh, why look and analyze, THEN make a plan of attack?

When all else fails, follow the instructions. :)

P.S. Do not do this. I would rate my intuitiveness for figuring things out without understanding them exceptional. And I still have issues 33-%ish of the time.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
My control mechanism is out of whack.
Things should happen naturally but I force it, suppress it.
I need to let go and relax, decrease effortfulness / burnout.

Everything is just so taking.
I constantly push myself.
I need to find an equilibrium.
Do things without so much mental friction and stress.

I have always been stressed out by my inability to think introvertedly. I hate my mind being blank all the time. And having nothing to do. A blank mind and OCD is awful.

A stuck mind.

If I get rid of the anxiety I can get unstuck.
Restructure the whole attractor settings of my network.

Damian Doritos

i smell fear
Local time
Today 8:53 AM
-->
AK. To me you don't know how to put your problem into words, maybe because there's no problem at all.

If you mean cognitive ability for stuff like videogames, fast thinking, many stuff going on. Well I can think of FIFA. Or Cod. I'm 29 at the moment and I'm pretty bad in fifa.
There are 10 divisions, being first the elite class world players. The higher I ever got was 4th division. I must say in my favor that I haven't played fifa since fifa2006. I bought this year edition out of curiosity, to see what this Gen football games are about. Lots of scripting.

In COD I used to be awesome when I was like 19/22 yo. Stuff like 61 kills 2 deaths. Nuke. Dogs. They used to fear me. Plus I would use my microphone and put deep sounding voices to troll em. We are talking about 2008.2009. I remember I was fast, edgy and and felt like I had an eye in every corner of the map. Nowadays I'm awful. Always in negative. My aiming is off and I'm bad at predicting where other players will come from. Everyone is super fast.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:53 PM
-->
I did remarkably well, given the fact that I consider myself nigh face-blind. I got 9/14, but expected a score of 5-7.

I got the same...9/14. I tend to do better with objects. I've never found faces that interesting, which may have something to do with it. Unless they posess some unusual sort of beauty, like Kate Moss or Freja Beha Eriksen. Strangely, even though I consider myself hetero, I find male faces boring, unless they are 'feminine'.

I'm completely retarded in some aspects like processing speed, but have the ability to grasp concepts quickly. At work, I tend to figure out how new software and stuff works before anyone else because I am interested in that sort of thing. But I am terrible at mental arithmetics and such.

lightfire

Local time
Today 2:53 AM
-->
I got 9/14

do not come to me for serial killer recognition

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
I got only got 5 on that face recognition thinger. Although, they were all white guys. I don’t really see many where / how I live. I claim an unfair disadvantage!

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I noticed at the Walmart I am not that good at looking and selecting items. On the original test I took, I had to mark if a symbol was on a list. It took time to find it for me. So I guess it just takes me time to find things with visual sight.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
I noticed at the Walmart I am not that good at looking and selecting items. On the original test I took, I had to mark if a symbol was on a list. It took time to find it for me. So I guess it just takes me time to find things with visual sight.

If I am pondering about anything with any degree of concentration, I am essentially visually blind. I can see nothing in front of me at all. It’s as if my whole field of vision becomes peripheral.

This can even happen while I’m actively reading something, which is odd.

Very one-track mind I suppose. Regaining my vision only happens after interrupting my train of thought. This only happens after I realize how badly my search is going.

As someone else said, predictable visual stimuli can be easily handled in the “fuzzy vision” mode. Novel stimuli, however is super super draining. I can do it, but it’s like my brain is working overtime.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I think what I have to do is just feel natural.
If I assume this is all a lucid dream I can be in the moment continuously. (Se)
I am quite "not in the moment" most of the time.

Currently, I am going through the individuation process.
I am becoming more accepting of my hidden side.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 8:53 AM
-->
As I've understood it, processing speed is "raw processing power" more than being able to pinpoint details, like recognizing faces (pinpointing details could be a part of it ofc, but maybe especially faces relies on very specific processes in the brain you might not use at all in most of tasks requiring processing speed). I have superior processing speed, but only got 8 on that test. I'm also partially face blind, so I relied on memorizing mind states, the angle/ squareness of the jaw, chin. Stuff like that. It became more difficult the more the faces turned. Processing speed reveals its potential in tasks where either what you are looking at is easily identifiable (like simple symbols), or if you're familiar with the categories (like being familiar with units etc in RTS or classes in FPS). Or tasks within your work environment. Stuff like that.

That being said, even though my processing speed is quite high, my working memory is poor and I actually struggled looking at those faces for more than 3 seconds before I started thinking about other things and looking out the window. My attention is poor as well.

I think your neurological problems impact several areas, trying to narrow it down to a few or one specific process probably wont make things more easy or more solvable.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:53 AM
-->
the processing "speed" of the human brain will always be extremely slow compared to, for example transistor-based computers. So in practice, being able to think quickly and clearly has little to do with raw speed and more to do with gradually building useful mental structures (or on a more neurological level – growing the pertinent neural connections in your brain)

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
the processing "speed" of the human brain will always be extremely slow compared to, for example transistor-based computers. So in practice, being able to think quickly and clearly has little to do with raw speed and more to do with gradually building useful mental structures (or on a more neurological level – growing the pertinent neural connections in your brain)

You could let the unconscious grow those connections for you.

Make adding new functionality intrinsic to your "processing".

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

You could let the unconscious grow those connections for you.

Make adding new functionality intrinsic to your "processing".
yes, and from what I understand, the process follows a relatively simple rule: the more you use certain regions of the brain, the more connections it will grow in that region (which is why practice makes you better at things).

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
A constant state of awareness (internally and externally) should develop everything at once. Getting grounded in the body and mind.

Search for and release built up hidden tensions.
Start from making everything as plastic as possible.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 6:53 PM
-->
Maybe you’ve just built the wrong/poor mental habits?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Maybe you’ve just built the wrong/poor mental habits?

I've always felt hopeless_worthless.
Bad habits would stem from there.
Keeping everything inside (helplessness)
Frustration not having a true purpose in life.
Literally, my mental state caused me physical sickness.

After being in the hospital 6-7 weeks it feels that I do not have to push myself.

I felt I had to push myself because of my ocd. I have really bad ocd, can't find relief.

Also the bipolar. I stay up days or sleep for days.

I find it hard to look people in the eye.

I said before I need to get rid of anxiety.

Everything gets fixed by doing that.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
There is a sort of sliding scale you have to manage too.

How long do you gather info before processing? It is almost guaranteed that you will have to act/judge/decide before gathering ALL the info. How far do you take it?

Accuracy > Timeliness?
Or
Timeliness > Accuracy?

Personally, I lean heavily towards timeliness. Accuracy can come later, or even WHILE carrying out judgement.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
There are plenty ways to upgrade your brain.

Top Bottom