• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Need sugestions

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Yesterday 6:14 PM
-->
Im going to see a psychiatrist soon and have symptoms of bipolar. Schizotypal. Anorexia. Anxiety. Aspergers. Depresion. Schizophrenia. Maybe. More but i cant afford a ton of sessions for a single diagnosis and so i may just try and get something for bipolar or schizotypal or depresssion idk what to do. So... Sugestions? The off and on avolition and depresion are kiling me a little. Thanks

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->
Suggestion 1: Stop labeling yourself. :p

Just ask for help treating traits you find to be problematic (say, depression) and be completely open in answering their questions and/or ask for an eval (probably some version of the MMPI or similar) so they can look at data that's more concrete than a sea of self-applied labels.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:14 PM
-->
A lot of INTP personality "preferences" superficially parallel many of the symptoms of those afflictions. Focus on the depression, that's atypical, I think. That is, of all the things you named, it's for sure not something found in the INTP personality traits. Boredom or ennui, OK, but not actual full-blown depression.

And remember to listen, not just talk, when you head in for diagnosis/counseling/help.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Tell them your symptoms you think you have. If the psychiatrist is good and a critical thinker, then they will be able to weed out if they think it is just "you" or if there is something to be concerned about by asking a few follow up questions when you describe your symptoms.

Oh, and don't try and diagnose yourself. You are too young to be doing that at your age.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Can you elaborate on these symptoms and how they present themselves?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 12:14 PM
-->
Im going to see a psychiatrist soon and have symptoms of bipolar. Schizotypal. Anorexia. Anxiety. Aspergers. Depresion. Schizophrenia. Maybe.
You're a hypochondriac.

reloaded

Local time
Yesterday 11:14 PM
-->
Write down whatever you feel is wrong with you and your problems. Email those to your psychiatrist so you won't have to waste more time. But your psych will probably still ask you more questions. Worse still, he/she may not even read it. But idk, you can try that anyway.

Don't diagnose yourself.

Try seeing your psych for at least 3 sessions first. You can discontinue if you're certain it won't be helpful. Don't just tell him/her your problems. Tell him/her what you want as well. (My problem is XXX. I want to solve XXX and attain BBB, but I'm afraid of GGG.)

May not be the best advice but I tried. Thanks for reading if you've read.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
Diagnosed bipolar 1 prescribed abilify. Stopped taking it since it made me super adhd and irritable. Helped with mood swings. Didnt want therapy so i didnt talk about all the other symptoms. ._. destroyed my grades too. Would xplain but i dont have internet at home and i hate typing on phone

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
How long did you take abilify? It takes a few weeks for upregulation/downregulation to occur, and a lot of people become irritable due to shifts in dopamine expression until that happens. Maybe try for a mood stabilizer first instead of an antipsychotic.

I'd definitely recommend picking the brain of your doctor and being involved in your own treatment as much as possible. Learn the details of how specific medications work, down to specific receptors (D1, D2, etc) in specific regions of the brain and their functions.

Local time
-->
INTPs are commonly misdiagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, just giving you a heads up on that.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
I might be late here, but going in with the intention of going for a certain diagnosis is not the best idea as you'll only real off what you've read are the symptoms that you relate to. Just tell them what bothers you the most and left them decide - they're pretty smart and experts in their subject.

Abilify is often preferred as it has less side effects and it's very difficult to overdose with. But sporadically taking any medication is very bad as it actually triggers episodes. I had experience with this with my ex-wife. The most of the side effects you'll experience will dissipate and lesson with time, and getting used to your general mood changing can be very disconcerting and even feel numbing. That said, not everyone reacts well to abilify. My ex-wife could simply not get on with it. She now takes Orlanzapine along with some other meds and is getting along a lot better.

Finding the right balance for you is paramount and your doctor should adjust things to suit you. Talk to him/her about the side effects. Keep the doctor involved. If you can get treatment sorted, your life could be greatly improved.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rixus

Local time
-->
And many of our INTP traits may be mistaken for ASD illnesses or Avoidant Personality Disorder, but MBTI types are not synonymous with any particular illnesses (save OCD and ISTJ, but only slightly).

I would say I experience occasional severe depression, though I admit I never actually see anyone about it, so I can't logically claim this absolutely. I don't think that has anything to do with my MBTI type.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rixus

Local time
-->
fwiw, Asperger's isn't in the DSM anymore. Those with such a Dx should question it and its treatment.

Asberger's isn't a diagnostic term anymore, but ASD (autism spectrum disorder) 1 would be the equivalent, and basically now falls under the category of high functioning autism. It always has, really, but the term Asbergers is basically just a particular set of autistic features that are often found together.

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
Asberger's isn't a diagnostic term anymore, but ASD (autism spectrum disorder) 1 would be the equivalent, and basically now falls under the category of high functioning autism. It always has, really, but the term Asbergers is basically just a particular set of autistic features that are often found together.
Eh.... Yes, absolutely. I wasn't clear though. My specific concerns were actually that there are folks who hold onto older labels and just don't let go because that's what they understand, and those include caregivers, parents, therapists, a few rogue doctors; people with power over patients that functionally screws with informed consent via misuse of information, whether intentional or otherwise. If someone in one of those positions is intentionally still using the old terminology, they fall into that category and it's a signal to an aware patient to gtfo.

Top Bottom