• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

New and searching for some advice

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
Today 8:24 AM
-->
To start off...Hello everyone. I'm here because I need some advice on what to do with my self. I'm 16 years old and have a high possibility of being an INTP. MBTI results gave me INTJ but I think that is incorrect because I am not very organized and I have been called a lazy space cadet all my life.

My problem is that I am extremely bored with life now that I have no gaming system or good cellular devices in my possession to use to escape reality. I can't beg for anything because my mother (single mother) only sees it necessary to buy what she thinks I need (food, water, cheap minute phone, cable, internet, and maybe clothing if its not to expensive). I am not interested in cable or clothing and need something escape reality a new game system, laptop or maybe a complex smartphone. The solutions I came up with involved something illegal or getting a job, which seemed to be nearly impossible given my poor social skills and inability to express and know my feelings. However, I know right now I feel like just giving up on hopes of getting a job, some decent technology to toy with, and a hobby that can keep me occupied.

The issues with me getting a job:
-inexperience so no one calls or hires
-my face is always like this -_-
-social skills which I'm contemplating on improving but might not ever improve

As of now I watch anime, do homework, go to school, and surf the web for information and answers. Summer is approaching and school will end, killing all homework assignments, leaving me with nothing to do while waiting for the new episodes to come out.

I'm also yearning for answers to how I can increase my intelligence (or maybe just my act score so I can go to college and be something), grammar, math knowledge, science knowledge, critical thinking abilities, and creativity. I have a 3.6 GPA I'm not that great but I do like learning stuff.

When I give up hope on self-improvement: I just wish that I didn't exist and I think life has no purpose. I end up questioning why my life even matters to me considering the fact that we human beings are only a strand of the universe and the world would probably be better off without us. I don't and probably can't love anything anymore. I won't go into the depths of my depression....that's not what I'm here for I am here to find a solution to one of my many problems.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, INTPs are awesome and is this in the right part of the forum? If not how do I change it.
:phear:

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My first piece of advice is probably the one you're least likely to take or be interested in, but, here it is: learn to be patient.

Your 16 years have consisted mostly in being a baby, toddler, child, young adolescent and adolescent. You have 0 years of experience in being an adult (though you're starting to realize you can sometimes think like an adult, move like an adult, etc.). Trust me, it takes years of actually being an adult to begin to get a handle on how to engage the adult world. This comes with time, it can't be hacked.

Piece of advice #2: listen to your mom -- and not her words but the intention of her deeds. Again, she has lots of experience being an adult, so, she's got the XP and levels on ya. Even if her conclusions aren't always right, there's something to be said for them. And, if she's wrong, find out why and learn from it.

Distractions from reality can be handy, but they can also be addictive. Worse, they can prevent you from what you want. If what you want is more intelligence, greater depth of understanding, answers to your questions, then you have to engage reality, not distract yourself with things that keep you from it.

Also, read some of the other posts here, and get involved in the debates. That might help.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
You may be right. Maybe I should continue to live as a teenager and enjoy what I have instead of trying to change and mature too quickly. I guess I was just looking at my life through the magnifying glass and trying to improve it by making it less boring. I admit that it does seem easier to concentrate on school work because I'm not wasting hours of my life playing games or anything but I feel like something is missing.

I need to stop comparing my life to other people's lives and just go with it.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 6:24 AM
-->
My problem is that I am extremely bored with life now that I have no gaming system or good cellular devices in my possession to use to escape reality.

Your actual problem is thinking you need to escape reality, instead of engaging it. Distracting yourself with games and gadgets might provide temporary relief but as soon as you can't get them you will feel the void of your pointless existence. A meaning to your life won't be handed to you by anyone; you must face reality, decide what things mean to you, and what you desire, and pursue that actively. Otherwise you will continue to escape and be depressed until you finally off yourself.

Swallowing your pride and attempt getting a job could provide a nice experiment. Failure in getting one might be a learning experience itself. Disregard your inner voice making up excuses to avoid potential negative emotions from failure. Change is dangerous, but stasis is death. So it goes.

Getting a hobby would be good too. There must be some thing that you enjoy...

Also, why despair waiting for new episodes when there's a ton of great, old anime? Discover some classics...

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 8:24 PM
-->
The issues with me getting a job:

I don't have any good life advice like many of the older ones might give, but such as I have give I thee:-

1. If you have no experience, sell skills. When you don't have what matches exactly, sell the closest thing you have. This starts from the job application form. But don't say you know something that you don't know how to do. That's never a good start.
2. If you get an interview, smile. It's not difficult. Your face is never always like something. And for most part-time jobs you won't even need an interview to get in.
3. I have to admit, you might or might not ever improve (although since I don't know you personally, I can't say for sure that your social skills are bad, as you make them out to be). What you can learn to do is cope. You may never enjoy the company of too many other humans for prolonged periods but it is possible to sustain polite conversation with strangers one at a time with a small amount of effort.

A job would also help to supplement family income.

As a suggestion on what you can consider doing if you are so inclined, you can try planning your first business. I started seriously planning my first business when I was 16 and thus managed to get it started pretty smoothly when I was 20 (while nobody else I knew opened a brick-and-mortar shop in a downtown location at that age and the others that started more service-based businesses were floundering with all the regulatory gobbledygook). Although it went bust later, I nevertheless achieved my goal.

Otherwise, watching anime, playing games and posting on INTPf is fine too :).

Wolf18

a who
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
hmm... I'm about your age and also find myself chronically bored, with no gaming system or friends to hang out with. Recommendations:
  1. Take up a musical instrument: This is a great way to focus your mental energy on something productive and enjoyable. I recently started appreciating piano (I've been unappreciatively playing for 9 years), and it is taking up a lot of time.
  2. Start a collection: It will give you something to look for wherever you are
  3. Join a fitness centre: Gives you some place to go if you are stressed, and some are quite cheap.
  4. Start playing a skill-based game: I recommend any form of billiards: snooker, straight pool, etc. The precision and skill required will take up a lot of time.
  5. Make your own employment: If you are good at fixing things, offer to repair your neighbour's bookcase, or something. You will make some money, and I find that it can be fun. Does someone you know have a problem? Ask if you can help, and accept the money they offer you.

Study for those finals! Some geometry help would be nice; my teacher handwrites all his notes, and his handwriting is sub-par.

SW

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 8:24 PM
-->
*Get a volunteer job first at your local community or church. It won't pay but it would get you job experience and networking. Two vital things in getting jobs. I volunteered at my church and it gave lots of return :)
*Practice practice practice. For starters, force yourself to greet each person your volunteer job each day.
*Again, volunteer job. This is a hard work especially for our type

Top Bottom