• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Norm MacDonald

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 11:52 PM
-->
You can get his late '90s sitcom, Norm on bittorrent in pretty bad, but watchable, quality; along with his less good vehicle --- which nonetheless educated me as to the good people of the American Heartland --- A Minute with Stan Hooper.

He's very amusing --- and says things merely to tick people off or deceive them, which is admirable; but he ticked off the wrong people and his career never recovered.

Claverhouse :phear:

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
You can get his late '90s sitcom, Norm on bittorrent in pretty bad, but watchable, quality; along with his less good vehicle --- which nonetheless educated me as to the good people of the American Heartland --- A Minute with Stan Hooper.

He's very amusing --- and says things merely to tick people off or deceive them, which is admirable; but he ticked off the wrong people and his career never recovered.

Claverhouse :phear:

Don Ohlmeyer?

Norm is clearly a very intelligent man, but I think his means for being funny, his entire comedic sensibility - the insouciance, complete and utter lack of respect for most people, etc., were a gift and a curse, because I'm not sure he could've been any more successful without appearing to be disingenuous/dishonest, at least to the people that mattered (not sure if that makes any sense/disregard that). Although, it may not be entirely his fault, seems like most people would rather hear someone complain about their racial heritage/how tough it is being a minority/do accents.

I've watched some of his ABC sitcom on YouTube, there's a surprising number of episodes on there, but unfortunately they're all in bits n' pieces...

He's at his best off-the-cuff, in my opinion, especially on shows like 'The View', where his humor and uninhibitedness contrast so sharply with the easter-morning set decor and general insipidity of the program, but the fact that all the hosts, save the particularly portly one, seem to enjoy him so much says a lot. It's also interesting watching how he interacts with the late-night hosts, Letterman, Leno, O'Brien, etc., seems to respect Letterman loads more than the other two. Some of his over-the-phone interviews with Dennis Miller are on YouTube as well, most of them are hilarious.

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Put me in Coach
Local time
Today 6:52 PM
-->
He's an INTJ. Their humor hits the sweet spot. I believe Jim Gaffigan to be an INTJ as well.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
The Early Life section of his Wikipedia page makes me laugh; it's been changed substantially/completely at least four times in the past six months.

Jedi

Local time
-->
He's a real funny guy. I wonder what personality type he is. Saoshyant mentioned INTJ and if I had to guess I'd probably say the same. He's definitely intuitive but weather it's introverted or extraverted is the big question. On Howard Stern, when discussing why he thought bombing onstage was funny, he said: "It's like if you told a joke to your dad and he kicked you." Now I could see Bill Hicks (INTJ) and myself (INTP) saying the same thing. I suppose similar jokes can come from different recipes?

Apotheosis

Robot Pirate
Local time
-->
Norm's definitely an introvert. While he was working at SNL, he'd always avoid parties with the cast after the show and he rarely socialized with the cast members. He's described himself as a recluse that prefers to stay in the house and never gets lonely, and Artie Lange said that he's almost agoraphobic.

I'd type him as an INTJ.

Jedi

Local time
-->
Norm's definitely an introvert. While he was working at SNL, he'd always avoid parties with the cast after the show and he rarely socialized with the cast members. He's described himself as a recluse that prefers to stay in the house and never gets lonely, and Artie Lange said that he's almost agoraphobic.

I'd type him as an INTJ.

Oh no doubt he's an introvert. But is his intuition function introverted or extraverted, is he a P or is he a J. Given his precision with words I'd go with INTJ. Maybe INFJ, but probably not.

Apotheosis

Robot Pirate
Local time
-->
Oops misread it, my bag.

Yup, I'd guess that his intuition is introverted, thus making him an INTJ. I doubt that he's an INFJ, and if you watch a tiny portion of the video below (starting around 4:30), you'll see why.

YouTube- Norm MacDonald Interviewed Pt.1

Jedi

Local time
-->
Ha, that was great. Yeah he's definitely no feeler. I'm curious how a joke would be cognitively processed in an INTJ. How would his INTJ mind process the absurdity in Howard's statement? All four functions must play a part somehow, but in what order? Does he judge first via Te then feed his Ni by perceiving w/ Se? Or must he perceive first and judge later? How would he differ from say... an INTP given the same situation? Hmm... :confused:

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 8:52 AM
-->
He really reminds me of this friend I have typed as an ISTP (course, I could have that one wrong). Tertiary Ni's useful with this stuff (I read this "expose" on trolls and apparently the majority of them are ISTPs - and I'm not talking about the caps lock/blatant flaming shit). Also, he seems really conscious of himself - not in an awkward way, but in the way SeFe types tend to be when they're projecting an image and trying to create impact.

Ink

Local time
Tomorrow 12:52 AM
-->
I consider him a pretty typical ISTJ. He is an excellent storyteller with great specific memory of events. Strong Si.

Top Bottom