• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Obsessive Interests...List Yours!

anne321

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:05 AM
-->
Starting from when I was a child:
Horses and various other animals
Sims (video game)
Running
Atheism
Astronomy
Politics
Countries of the world (geography, superlatives)
National anthems
Foreign languages
Psychology
Nutrition
Music (Used to never listen to it)
Cognition
Philosophy

I don't know if it's just me, but mine get VERY intense. I spend around 80% of my day thinking about them. The other 20% is often finding a way to relate the current situation to them. They are really the only thing I want to talk about in conversation, so I usually have to supress myself!

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 6:05 PM
-->
I'm obsessive about doing whatever interests me. So the obsession is having fingers in many pies, but then I'll lose interest quickly. There's too many to list and possibly too few to list in the way in which you meant.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 1:05 AM
-->
I could list a few things but I'm not sure if I'm validated enough to actually say I'm interested in them, or curious enough to actually spend efficient time being interested in them. Criticism for not meeting a standard?

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 3:05 AM
-->
psychology. biology. time travel. trying to figure out were extroverts get their unlimited, unmatched energy. Games. meeting intelligent people( i would like to meet a genius before i die) ......annddd about everything that ends in -ology

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 10:05 AM
-->
* doubting my own motives

* desperately trying to convince myself that i'm at least equally capable of whatever brilliance is shown by anyone else in any social setting, suppressing any desire for external inspiration and learning unless such opportunity is granted by some idol such as marc bolan; revered, sacred, certified and commodified - whether industrially or personally.

* trying to produce art entirely devoid of meaning, entirely without reliance on the impetus of self-confidence achieved by honing particular skills and compartmentalizing the creative process. i want to be a vessel of whatever power lies where chaos and order intersect. i'm not so serious as to be considered pretentious though, which i shall now demonstrate by putting the leisurely words: giga scrotum. i digress;

* directing attention toward an expanding array of what appears to be chronic albeit harmless aches and irritations, likely psychogenic or at least psychosomatically exacerbated. this is at best futile, at worst terribly counter-productive.

.... to be continued? EDIT: yup

* trying to post as quickly as possible before i'm done writing just to get a rough idea across, because otherwise someone else may do it first, because my own personal introspective reflections are very important and universally relevant and prestigious. :facepalm:

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->
new interest: trying to read bronto's interests but continually refreshing the page as he's editing it?

Anastasia

stupid holy being
Local time
Today 9:05 AM
-->
Anatomy
Art - especially the theory and philosophy of paintings
Drugs - how do they work and their effect on human psychology and brain
Various religions and religious thinking (lacking better words to describe it)
Anthropology
Sociology

I spend 80% of the time online, reading... I wish to live long enough to study all those on academic level. And not go to work instead :pueh:

lonewolf

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Personality disorders;
Electronics;
Tv series;
Psychology;
Chemistry;
Computer graphics;
Nihilism;
Astrophysics (the "why are the orbits of the planets ellyptical" thing used to give me insomnia, and I love wormholes (and Doctor Who));
Hiding from the "what a wonderful day I've had, now I'll tell you how wonderful it was because it was so wonderful I really have to tell you even if I know you couldn't care less" extroverts.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When I was younger, I progressed through various stages of obsessive interests. I don't really have any anymore (due largely to my work life). But, some of the obsessions I have had throughout my life have included:

Mathematics
Philosophy
Role-playing games
Computers (I was interested in them in the 1980s long before an interest in computers amounted to nothing more than using software or being online)
Religions
Jung
The hope that there were worlds other than the one I live in, and that I might one day be able to explore them

ddspada

Citizen of the Universe
Local time
-->
Just these past two or three months:

> Traditional pasta shapes
> Bullet caliber, shotgun caliber
> Tarot as a game, not devination, through which I found out about:
> Persona 3 and Persona 4
> Cigars, tobacco, pipe manufacturing, cancer research
> Purity and heavy metal tests for bodybuilding supplements
> Baseball bat manufacturing
> Flavor industry
> Nosferatu, Vlad Tepes and the Dracula Films
> The Munsters, The Addams Family
> Varieties of tea
> Lantana camara
> Political life of Garry Kasparov
> Several chess openings
> Earthquakes
> MBTI

Evel

Local time
Today 1:35 PM
-->
> Biting my nails and anything related to nails!
> Dancing rockabilly or surfrock, alone or with my dog xD while he bites my fingers
> Going to gigs, always!
> Drum and bass <3
> Goofing around with my dog, talking to him as if he were a human being, WHOCARES!
> Ice cream
> The Gaslight Anthem, NOSHITZ
> Tea <3 Just not iced tea!

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:05 PM
-->
I used to have obsessions. Rocks and minerals. Birds. Libraries.

It was sort of a narrow thing.

I lost my focus when I gained access to the internet. Too many distractions at my fingertips - so I guess I could say I'm generally obsessed with data input.

As a kid, I could sit for hours and just draw or paint alone. Or make clay figures. I had this focus that I gradually lost.

I think I have periodic obsessions. I could have an obsession with a particular author. Or a topic of interest. Now I'm just scattered. Too much stimuli. It frustrates the hell out of me.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
S7PyR.gif

Riiscup

Local time
-->
I've flowed in and out of various obsessions throughout my life. Studying people and how they interact is my only long lasting obsession.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Trying to remember all the specifics, but the list itself is still kind of general, unfortunately:
  • Trains
  • Dinosaurs
  • Reading
  • Tolkien
  • Astronomy
  • Paranormal
  • CCM music
  • Cartoons
  • Rankin-Bass projects
  • Dr. Seuss, Mercer Mayer, and other children's artists
  • Comic books
  • Bike-riding
  • Hiking
  • Tree-climbing
  • Building things
  • Drawing
  • Writing fiction
  • Composing music
  • Bible study
  • Psychology
  • Drinking heavily
  • Spiritual direction
  • Journaling
  • Piano skills
  • Recording music
  • Book design
  • Internet web design
  • Cartooning
  • Humor writing
  • Various video games
  • Harlan Ellison
  • Counseling techniques
  • Gay and abortion rights
  • Bible Archaeology
  • Website moderating / policy construction
  • Various artists (beardsley, Giger, turner, Clarke, etc)
  • Graphic novels (sandman, TDKR, V for Vendetta, fables, SIP, Watchmen, Sin City, Hellboy, etc.) -- all things Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore
  • Gender studies and related bio / psychology / physiology / sociology
  • Typology (Big Five, MBTI, DISC, Enneagram, Jung function, some Socionics, whatever else i run across)
  • Coffee
  • Psych experiments/studies
  • Horror shows, movies, and books
  • Speculative fiction/fantasy
I'm also the sort who, when I like a piece of music or a movie, I learn about the various people involved and track their other works. So I can tell you that so-and-so worked on a particular item and what else they might have done and how it compares.

I lost my focus when I gained access to the internet. Too many distractions at my fingertips - so I guess I could say I'm generally obsessed with data input.

As a kid, I could sit for hours and just draw or paint alone. Or make clay figures. I had this focus that I gradually lost.

I think I have periodic obsessions. I could have an obsession with a particular author. Or a topic of interest. Now I'm just scattered. Too much stimuli. It frustrates the hell out of me.

God, I relate so much to this. And I've considered diminishing / leaving the 'net for awhile. it's the same kind of thing. I felt like I used to be more focused, and now my brain has changed and is far more into short-term / trigger stimuli than in-depth focused study. I don't like it. I like being the way I was. But I also feel like I'm lacking the energy to go deep, much of the time.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:05 PM
-->
^ Dat list...:phear:

Jennywocky said:
God, I relate so much to this. And I've considered diminishing / leaving the 'net for awhile. it's the same kind of thing. I felt like I used to be more focused, and now my brain has changed and is far more into short-term / trigger stimuli than in-depth focused study. I don't like it. I like being the way I was. But I also feel like I'm lacking the energy to go deep, much of the time.

Being able to focus seems to have a calming effect on me. The trigger-stimuli thing is a cause of anxiety as I seem to be unable to even get started on projects due to all the information I have to access first, and the distractions I encounter in the process. This in turn increases my anxiety levels. It drives me crazy that I cannot seem to control it -- it's become compulsive, and I'm concerned about this recent change as I thought this was something I had managed to overcome.

About lacking the energy to 'go deep' - I know exactly what you mean. I suspect (in my case) this has something to do with my emotional state at the moment. I feel drained by external issues so much that I have no energy or even motivation to focus in depth.

However, when I find the peace of mind to focus, this seems to also have a calming effect -- I feel less anxious. I used to paint. I could spend hours painting; just sitting there adjusting colours and effects until I was satisfied with the result. This sort of extreme focus put me in a place where I was immersed so much in the process I forgot about time, place, and physical needs. I could spend 6-8 hours in front of the canvas and not even register what time had passed. It was highly satisfactory and had a positive effect beyond just the process of painting -- I seemed to have trained my brain to focus on other things as well.

At the moment it's so bad I cannot even sit down and read a book. I have lost interest in music, even, which is highly unusual.

Red myst

Abstract Utilitiarian
Local time
-->
^ Dat list...:phear:

Being able to focus seems to have a calming effect on me. The trigger-stimuli thing is a cause of anxiety as I seem to be unable to even get started on projects due to all the information I have to access first, and the distractions I encounter in the process. This in turn increases my anxiety levels. It drives me crazy that I cannot seem to control it -- it's become compulsive, and I'm concerned about this recent change as I thought this was something I had managed to overcome.

About lacking the energy to 'go deep' - I know exactly what you mean. I suspect (in my case) this has something to do with my emotional state at the moment. I feel drained by external issues so much that I have no energy or even motivation to focus in depth.

However, when I find the peace of mind to focus, this seems to also have a calming effect -- I feel less anxious. I used to paint. I could spend hours painting; just sitting there adjusting colours and effects until I was satisfied with the result. This sort of extreme focus put me in a place where I was immersed so much in the process I forgot about time, place, and physical needs. I could spend 6-8 hours in front of the canvas and not even register what time had passed. It was highly satisfactory and had a positive effect beyond just the process of painting -- I seemed to have trained my brain to focus on other things as well.

At the moment it's so bad I cannot even sit down and read a book. I have lost interest in music, even, which is highly unusual.

Do you think life stages have anything to do with this? I have some of the same experiences which I thought were just phases, but they come on more frequently now and last longer. I am 51, and have always had trouble focusing on mundane things, but even the interesting things seem more like chores now. I pick and choose my projects more carefully now because I know there is an expiration date on how long my interest will last. I have bought several books recently that I have not even started to read, and they sit among the other half read books that I lost interest in. I used to read from cover to cover in no more than a day. I pledged to myself not to buy anymore books till I finished reading the ones I have. It's kind of like "readers block" instead of "writers block".

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
1. Field work.
2. Placing that 250 lb rock I found in the stream on the stream embankment. So far I've raised it 6"; needs another 2-4" so it will roll over.
3. Wondering why I'm the only one who puzzles about other people but won't live to talk about them if I talk about them.
4. Wondering if I will get to do what is on my mind next.
5. Trying out my new lawn mower after I broke the last one.
6. Wondering if those damned snakes in my pond are eating my koi.
7. Wondering if my wife can be persuaded to do something without my using any persuasive powers.
8. Trying to determine if he will reinstate those Greek scissors or what?

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
You.
:phear:

quizzicallyhuman

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:05 AM
-->
Specifically my interests have mostly been Chemistry (or rather, any science), personality disorders, MBTI, music, and any type of mathematics.
However, I've always been the type of person to lose interest in things rather quickly, so specifically there are probably far too many to name. The only interest that particularly stands out is my obsession with reading minds when I was a child. As I reached the age at which I considered that May not be possible, I started enjoying studying human interactions an such in social situations, because it seemed to be the closest thing to it. People are the most boring and intriguing creatures all at the same time and it's rather baffling and ridiculous.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I am going to put you into a box you cannot get out of. Afterward when you are driven crazy you will know what obsesssive behavior is as a side-effect.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
Walking
Walking Dead
Stephen King
Drinking 2 cups of coffee every morning
Spirituality
Hating organized religion(okay, hate is a strong word)
Listening to music(metal to classical)-Anything with the right feeling, mood, and melody
Animism
Posture
weevils
tardigrades
entomology
etymology
astronomy
mythology
biology
anatomy
Darwin
Evolution
Abiogenesis
Atheism/Agnosticism
Middle Earth
Camping
Campfires
Wine
Oatmeal Stouts
Lager Beer
Alcoholism(kidding)
Gardening
DIT Everything
Libraries
Trains
Environmentalism
Philosophy
taxonomy
primatology
guitars
Dutch bicycles

Methodician

clever spec of dust
Local time
-->
I get those too. I'll get ridiculously obsessed with something and spend a large majority of my free time on it for extended periods then suddenly something else grabs my interest for a while. Some are highly transient. For instance, I spent a lot of the past few days learning about the smart watch market and I've lapped up just about all I need and can now relegate it to a casual interest. Certain topics are good enough to keep me coming back every year or two.

-Nutrition
-Life hacking
-Neurology
-Ways to improve brain function
-Life extension, longevity, and immortality
-Technological advancement
-Biotechnology
-Fire
-Evolution
-Physiognomy
-Anatomy
-Pseudo-anthropology
-Botany
-Psychoactive drugs (not street or recreational in particular - could be coffee, damiana, marijuana, piracetam, etc...)
-Transhumanism
-Weather and meteorology
-Cats and other cute things
-Culinary arts
-Videogames
-Architecture
-Vines and other fast-growing plants
-Human optimization
-Medicine
-Trying to understand humans from the perspective of an alien (not by choice)
-Nature and its exploration
-Jungles and rain forests
-Mathematics
-Parasites and symbiosis
-Linguistics
-Space travel and space colonization
-Energy (its harvest, use, and ability to cause both entropy and extropy)
-Data mining
-Programming
-Exponential change
-My girlfriend
-Life, the universe, and everything
-Relentless self improvement...

BrainVessel

Tony Blair's scrotum
Local time
-->
In a small Haitian tribe of despondent pantomimes
Psychology, Perception, Physics, Neurology, Philosophy, wondering what constitutes genius and if it's possible to become one, food, MBTI, asking myself daily how 90% of everyone in my age range could be so delusional and unperceptive(Then pointing out that the majority of people work hard on their lives and probably have some idea of what they are doing and then I contemplate, since I am a minority, maybe I am the delusional one.), things existing, "normality" and "originality".

Minicool

The Lazy Thinker
Local time
-->
- Video Game
- Physics
- Quantum Physics
- Cord Theory
- Piano
- Programming
- Dog
- Drawing
- Reading
- Sketching
- H-bomb
- Teleportation
- Anime
- A girl that'll, in a hypothical situation,eventually be my Mindmate.
- Thermodynamic
- Psycologie
- Politics
- George Orwell
- Freud
- Robotics
- Classic
- History
- Time Distortion
- Black Holes Formation
- FACTS(These can drive me crazy.)
- Brain
- VR Project.
- Photoshopping.
- Magic
- HOMO and LUMO
- Mathematic
- Fungus
- Death
- Theory on the Creation of the Universe
- Doxa on The New Generation
"Voici la liste de qu'est-ce que j'avais comme obsession ce trimestre."

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
computers

existence (philosophy in general probably)

typology apparently, no matter how many times I try to get out of it I always find myself sucked back in

consciousness

altered states of consciousness

nihility

ideas

Beowulf

Local time
-->
Why does this thread exist? For god sakes at least put a number cap on the lists!!!! We all know intps have like a billion interests. :p :p :p

I don't know about you guys but i'm going to try and narrow down my list a bit.

Anatomy and Physiology
Archery ( Just started)
Bodybuilding and nutrition ( 2 years Strong)
Comic Books (Favorite is Spiderman)
Exploring Different Cultures
Fantasy Novels (atm reading Crown of Stars Series)
Fencing (just started)
Guns
History (addicted to medieval period)
Learning about nature and survival
Listening to music (atm exploring Persian music)
Politics and Human Rights
Salt Water Fishing (Beach Life)
Sciences (Atm Physics and Bio)
Script and song writing
Stock Trading
Traveling
Tv Shows ( I love Sitcoms)
Video Games (Rpgs and Shooters)
Watching all types of movies (atm addicted to bollywood)

That's about as narrow as i can get. I feel like I'm missing some important items though

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
The universe. I want to explore it.
Strategies of all kinds.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
my list isn't broad at all. i was always very "special interests" oriented. i'm probably not intp.

age 4-9:

any book with pictures.
history books with pictures of romans and stuff. archeology.
drawing romans.
bulding swords, bows, arrows.
drawing pistols.
drawing cowbowys & horses.
matchbox cars, car brands.
drawing cars.

skulls OX OX OX (drawing them everywhere, after society began to bully me into being normal)

stunt driving various vehicles.

age 9-14

comics, sci fi, history and horror books.
drawing space ships.
bmx bikes.
skateboards.
drawing peace+anarchy signs everywhere.
hip hop music.
buying things without paying.

age 14-19:

masturbating.
drawing perverted stuff.
star trek, everything science fiction.
drawing spaceships again.
rave music.
artful comics.
drawing figures, learning anatomy.
watching anime.
which lead to RL punk style/haricuts & punk music.
drawing myself punk girlfriends.

age 19-26

weed :D
internet.

configuring my computer.
pirating media.

failure to socialize -> obsession with social phobia/DSM -> psychology
discovered that my own thoughts can be impressive, if i care to formulate them out. -> girlfriend.

excessive usage of english.

age 26 to now:

more girlfriends.

typology (physiognomy), entheogens, spirituality (shamanism/dreaming), integral spirituality (awakening), physical health

i almost feel like i have no interests at all, right now. since i have lost excessive interest in entertainment and understanding being human is almost too broad to count as interest. and health is a chore.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
only four people have mentioned politics. i'm proud of you.

on focus:

i was also unhappy to witness, how the internet took away my ability to draw anything. to sit with empty paper :ahh:

the trance of painting for hours was ecstatic. sometimes.

today my focus is best when your threads inspire me to think or when i have similar conversations online, with people who are interested.

without message boards, i might just die out of intellectual boredom.

when i think intensely about something like typology and physiognomy, like when i am hunting down google images for cues, or writing down everything i know about some people. those are only periods for me.

when i listen to satsang.

i like thinking, speculative thinking. wondering. more than research. and reading is often painful to me, unless it exactly stimulates my current speculative process.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Update:
1. Field work.
Dormant.
2. Placing that 250 lb rock I found in the stream on the stream embankment. So far I've raised it 6"; needs another 2-4" so it will roll over.
It's still there. I'm waiting for my back to recover.
3. Wondering why I'm the only one who puzzles about other people but won't live to talk about them if I talk about them.
Wondering if my Fe is up to talking about this. This Forum present opposition.
4. Wondering if I will get to do what is on my mind next.
Dormant.
5. Trying out my new lawn mower after I broke the last one.
Works great. Now if the rain would stop I could use it again.
6. Wondering if those damned snakes in my pond are eating my koi.
Grrr.
7. Wondering if my wife can be persuaded to do something without my using any persuasive powers.
Wondering if she can do the same thing.
8. Trying to determine if he will reinstate those Greek scissors or what?
He is being evasive.
9. New obsession: dredging the stream. Heavy rains go over the bridge and cause damage. I'm trying to lower the stream but hitting bedrock.

Pfness

Local time
Today 3:05 PM
-->
  • The Internet/Computers - More into exploring insofar as to continue developing my personal theory/framework
    • Psychology of users on the internet
    • E-Commerce
    • Mapping/Geography/Geographic Information Systems
    • Utilizing the internet for learning
  • Ergonomics & Human interfacing to gain efficiency in utilizing electronics/computers
    • Standing desks!
    • Macros & keyboard shortcuts
    • Productivity software
    • (I'd really like to get into knowledge management)
  • Politics
    • International Relations
    • Political Philosophy
    • Analysis
    • Political Economy
    • International Law
    • Theory Theory Theories
    • Mapping Politics / Geography
  • Motorcycles
    • Touring
    • Mechanics of motorcycles
    • Driving at a spirited pace in traffic
    • Lane Splitting
  • Nutrition/Food/Consumables
    • Paleolithic diet
    • Culinary videos/Ideas from the internets
    • Avoiding GMO, wheat (most other cereal grains) refined sugar, fast food.
    • Trying to make my food more tastier :D
    • Interest in free range / grass fed animals
  • Philosophy
    • Heidegger
    • Foucault
    • Derrida
  • Linguistics
    • Mandarin
    • Thai
    • Engrish
  • Strategy Games
    • Go
    • Civ 5
    • Chess sometimes :p

Klavierr

He punched out all of my blood!
Local time
-->
Ohhh boy. besides doing the (shameful) thing of jumping from anime/vidya game fandom to fandom, I have some specific interests that remain constant.
-Music. everything to do with music theory, composition, analysis, history. music tech, etc

-closely tied with music is Acoustic physics and psychoacoustics. how we perceive sound, how it is filtered as we move about a room hearing it, what areas of the brain do what with sound processing etc

-Math and calculus.

-cats. no further explanation needed.

Kita

Redshirt
Local time
-->
At the moment, wondering how so many small pieces of myself seemed to have detached from me without my notice, became self aware, and started posting in this thread...

MY PEOPLE.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
as a kid i enjoyed sculpture and drawings, specially dragon ball based stuff.
i learnt the basics of proportion by a friend of mine who was amazingly good. With time i forgot about drawing and right now it kinda tires me.
biking
dogs
football / soccer
dragon ball and power rangers among some other great shit
donkey kong country 2
zelda
n64
rock, nirvana and the seattle sound so i buyed a guitar and learned the basics then at 15 years old i was really into producing my own music. At the begining i remember of recording shit with the default pc mic and mixing it with the windows recorder.
At that age i learnt how to use Cubase and finally made some actual songs.
I also made some records with power point covers and interactive plays of the songs
samurai X and it's soundtrack
encarta 2000 and i was reading it all the time
apocalypsis, conspiracy theories
ufo
geography, pretty much the stuff you read when accesing to wikipedia's pages
playing drums
naruto
tattoos
formula 1
web design, programing and autocad (interest in these areas come a goes every now and then)
breaking bad
typology
lovecraft

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 4:05 PM
-->
A certain children's card game
Pokemon
Shin Megami Tensei
Inventions

Missfortune

ex- worlds most evil TA
Local time
-->
myself, sad but true.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
only four people have mentioned politics. i'm proud of you.

on focus:

i was also unhappy to witness, how the internet took away my ability to draw anything. to sit with empty paper :ahh:

the trance of painting for hours was ecstatic. sometimes.

today my focus is best when your threads inspire me to think or when i have similar conversations online, with people who are interested.

without message boards, i might just die out of intellectual boredom.

when i think intensely about something like typology and physiognomy, like when i am hunting down google images for cues, or writing down everything i know about some people. those are only periods for me.

when i listen to satsang.

i like thinking, speculative thinking. wondering. more than research. and reading is often painful to me, unless it exactly stimulates my current speculative process.

Hah that reminds me. Once when I was 17 we were asked in class to write 3 things we thought were important in life on the whiteboard. We got to add 3 and erase 2 which were already there.

Some girl had written "safety" and "harmony" before me plus something else like "love" I don't remember. I promptly erased safety and harmony, adding "Philosophy" and "Politics" instead, I don't remember the third thing I wrote. Man I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My own narcissism
Finding a job
Whiskey
Fringe political junk
Armageddon and Eschatology
Seeming cool and smart
Cormac McCarthy
Nick Land
Cigarette relapses
Romanticizing the past
Standing athwart history yelling, "Bartender!"

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
I get those too. I'll get ridiculously obsessed with something and spend a large majority of my free time on it for extended periods then suddenly something else grabs my interest for a while. Some are highly transient. For instance, I spent a lot of the past few days learning about the smart watch market and I've lapped up just about all I need and can now relegate it to a casual interest. Certain topics are good enough to keep me coming back every year or two.

-Nutrition
-Life hacking
-Neurology
-Ways to improve brain function
-Life extension, longevity, and immortality
-Technological advancement
-Biotechnology
-Fire
-Evolution
-Physiognomy
-Anatomy
-Pseudo-anthropology
-Botany
-Psychoactive drugs (not street or recreational in particular - could be coffee, damiana, marijuana, piracetam, etc...)
-Transhumanism
-Weather and meteorology
-Cats and other cute things
-Culinary arts
-Videogames
-Architecture
-Vines and other fast-growing plants
-Human optimization
-Medicine
-Trying to understand humans from the perspective of an alien (not by choice)
-Nature and its exploration
-Jungles and rain forests
-Mathematics
-Parasites and symbiosis
-Linguistics
-Space travel and space colonization
-Energy (its harvest, use, and ability to cause both entropy and extropy)
-Data mining
-Programming
-Exponential change
-My girlfriend
-Life, the universe, and everything
-Relentless self improvement...

It's perfect.

RandomCh33se

Walking Hypothesis Generator
Local time
-->
Where Mother Nature is constantly having an identi
-Mental Analysis
-Boats (all kinds)
-Trains
-Rain
-Islands
-Mortality
-Robotics
-Triangles
-Doodling
-AI
-Intelligent animals
-Language
-Personality
-Singing (and just music in general)
-Wintertime :o
-Environmental Impacts
-Anyone I meet who's thinking I am unfamiliar with
-Predictable food
-Absolute quiet

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
Have you ever played Fire Emblem while drinking coffee, role-playing Carl Sagan in a room adorned with all kinds of swords, in the middle of a storm?

masked

Redshirt
Local time
-->
What everyone else said, plus:

magnets
home brewed alternators/generators
coconuts
cellular automata
Go (the board game)
AI
more magnets
figurate numerical series

Jaffa

Local time
-->
This is kind of relevant – But with these obsessive interests do you ever become depressed when you can’t get to obsess over them?

.. and slightly less relevant; but when you’re starting a new relationship does that new person in your life ever become your new obsession? To the point where you’re over-thinking and analysing every text message and interaction. You don’t want to smother said person because it’s a new relationship so you keep the contact to a minimum but because it’s not an obsessive interest that you can actively pick up and learn about at your own pace it makes you feel a bit..... depressed? Please tell me that this isn’t just me? And tell me that it isn’t just me that starts to lose focus on other well established interests when a person like this comes along?

StevenM

beep
Local time
-->
My obsessive interests have changed since last time I posted.

A little while ago, I was obsessed with socionics, but that has faded. Now I'm obsessively watching youtube videos about physics, and other interesting stuff about science and philosophy.

I'm also reaquainting myself with the new Blender software. It took me awhile to learn everything of the old one (Blender 2.49), including python scripting and animating. I see a lot of stuff has changed since then, so I'm reading tutorials again, and experimenting with the new 2.71.

I'm hoping to create something neat with it.

Also, I'm learning to play guitar in different tunings, including Open G Minor, C Modal, and Orkney Tuning. It's fun exploring and discovering different scales and chord arrangements, as if I'm learning guitar all over again.

JAYBAGS

Systems Theorist
Local time
-->
Listverse
Seahawks
Civilization Games and Winning Theories
Programming Games
Modding Games
Graphic Design of Games
MBTI and Theories of It