• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

OCD Test.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:31 AM
-->
I mentioned how I could get obsessed with things for days (usually around a week, sometimes longer) with my therapy group today. Someone mentioned that I should get screened for OCD.

I did this test because of that and was really surprised at my results. I was so surprised I did the test again and got the same score.

https://psychcentral.com/cgi-bin/ocd2.cgi?600=7&gender=2&age=31&100=1&200=2&300=3&400=1&500=2

I got 16, which means it's very likely I have OCD.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 4:31 AM
-->
Hey I got 14. That is surprising.

I am skeptical still though. The website is covered in ads that say “find a therapist near you”. It is probably in their interest to guve you a high score.

Test is here: https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/ocd-quiz/ if anyone else wants to guve it a go. (You posted results)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 6:01 PM
-->
You don't come across like it.

Throw it by your shrink. OCD is a lot more sinister than popular perception. For one it needs to really impair or distress you. A lot of these questions are just normal things that it's normal to worry about, and they don't make it clear at what point it's obsessive.

For example, I like my volume to always be multiples of 10, or 5 if that's not working for me. But it's never a problem, it's just what I find myself doing.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 8:31 AM
-->
I got 10, but probably because it picks up on a little unrelated anxiety.

I'm not sure how having a week long obsession with something is OCD related?

OCD is often misunderstood. In general, people seem to think it just means you like things in order or are a perfectionist about some things. Which is actually closer to the sensory issues of ASD than OCD. It's more about uncontrollable intrusive thoughts and anxiety.

While we all worry about things (like the contagious diseases mentioned) someone with OCD has their brains warning messages on overdrive. So where I will check the door is locked at night, which is a natural danger awareness, OCD wouldn't be able to sleep for fear of someone breaking in and have to repeatedly check that the door is secure in an attempt to alleviate this fear.

I've known a couple of people to have this. One was frequently late for Uni, saying she kept having to back home to make sure she'd turned the lights off and hadn't turned the over on in case the house burned down. She also occasionally gave me a lift home, and would keep asking me to make sure she hadn't run anyone over while trying get out of the car park.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
For example, I like my volume to always be multiples of 10, or 5 if that's not working for me. But it's never a problem, it's just what I find myself doing.

I have a million of little things like this.

Seeing the time as 12:48 pleases me compared to like 7:31. I HAVE to find patterns in the numbers I see, if I don’t, it displeases me.

If I’m doing something repetitive I have to choose an “exit strategy.” Like stirring my milk into my tea my exit strategy is to count exactly 10 revolutions. If I lose attention and miscount I gotta start again. Another one I’ll use is waiting for the minute to change on a clock.

I got “stuck” spinning on a spinny chair once before when I was really young (10 maybe?) and my mom got all freaked out and started yelling at me. After that, I made a real effort to never have anything like it happen again.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
7:31 is just minus one then halved :)

Yeah I used to have preferences for numbers etc., but for the most part it's been beaten out of me. That bit about the exit strategies sounds a little OCD -> that's the compulsion bit. It's not just about focusing, it's about having compulsions to relieve yourself from the obsessing.

I'm not saying you have OCD, like I said to QT, it needs to be impairing or distressing. But you might have OCD tendencies or something. It's worth exploring.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
Well I’m certainly not suffering from it, nor is it debilitating. That’d be the point at which I would consider getting help. I jokingly call it my “little OCD”. Kind of a misnomer to still call it Obsessive or Compulsive though.

It’s just a slight quirk I’ve learned to live with. The call to do these things seems to become weaker the older I get as well. So meh. It was only recently that I even thought, “hey I may have an off-beat psyche”

Edit: also your solution to 7:31 physically felt good. It was a problem I left unsolved to just get on with my life and it bugged me.

gps

INTP 5w4 Iconoclast
Local time
-->
I got 10, but probably because it picks up on a little unrelated anxiety.

To focus on OCD, rather than OCPD or even G.A.D -- General Anxiety Disorder -- seems too narrow a focus.
My ODPD symptoms -- when I experientially-manifest them -- are HIGHLY correlated with Anxiety/
Stress.

And there is a HUGE difference between OCD and OCPD, in thatOCD seems based more on brain chemisty and OC personality disorder seems to have a behavioral element which transcends mere chemical imballance.
To wit, if I respond to ANXIETY with deep breathing and meditation it is DEMOTED.
I suspsect that those with OCD can't obtain such benefits without MOIs or such.
https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/monoamine-oxidase-inhibitors.html

I'm not sure how having a week long obsession with something is OCD related?

About a decade ago I used to spend my days in front of a Kiosk computer at a local library.
I'd sit in the same chair from 10Am to 5PM without departing for a bathroom break, lunch, anything.
Friends would look over at my browser screen and comment on how many tabs I had open ... when they had ONE in which they did everything.

When surrounded by those so incapable of ATTENTION as to qualify for Attention-deficite disorder I charcterize my deviance from social norms "Attention-Surplusage disorder".

And NO, my propensity to NOT favor what OTHERS regard MORE IMPORTANT than my OWN preferences for stimuli is NOT a disorder of ATTENTION; it's a form of civil disobedience to the slave state which uses tax-funded functionaries to inculcate citizens too young to vote against the taxation without representation imposed upon them as citizens with TIME-is-MONEY.
https://www.google.com/search?q=taxation+without+representation+definition

One person's `disorder' is another's Organizing Principle, asset, Personal Religion/Mthology ... standard operating proceedure.

Now sitting at a desk for hour after hour while a beurcrat preaches state-sponsored tripe .... that's both Compulsory-Compulsive and immoderarly-Excessive.

Shall we take a look at how (anti)social instituions engender ritualistic, Obsessive-Compulsive patterns of Emotion-Cognition-Action in would-be, once `individuals' then BLAME the VICTIM when they manifest?
I'll tender Compulsory Miseducation as culprit #1.
https://www.google.com/search?q=compulsory+miseducation

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
7:31 is just halving then minus one :)

I see a few of us have this over analyzation of numbers, lol.

OK, but this is an odd experience for me. I went from thinking "IDK if I have OCD, let me investigate this a bit" to "Wow weird I guess I do" to "I probably don't" in a matter of less than 24 hours. It just feels weird because I can't shake that I feel something is wrong with me and I want to figure out what that is. It might be right under my nose, like being so low in conscientiousness or something. Regardless, it's annoying and because I have high openness, this means I am prolly naively willing to explore possibilities that are prolly not very likely. *shrug*

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
It's really super common QT.

In psychology, you can read through textbooks and diagnose yourself with something new on every page. It's often not until I go and watch a video of someone with the disorder that I decide it's nothing to do with me.

A large part of it is availability bias, another part is that you're looking for explanations for why you are the way you are. Another is like a reverse forer effect, where diagnosing yourself with an excuse makes you feel alright about where you ended up (e.g. you're not stupid, you have attentional difficulties).

It's normal, I do it a lot, and everyone else in my classes I talk to does too.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:31 PM
-->
I got 1.

Bathe in the glow of my super normie-ness.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Odd, I woulda guessed the whole test was dishonest and would give you a 10+ score regardless of what you entered.

The ads on the site prolly have nothing to do with the site itself, you know that right? That's how websites make money - people pay money to put their ads on their site.

baccheion

Local time
-->
I mentioned how I could get obsessed with things for days (usually around a week, sometimes longer) with my therapy group today. Someone mentioned that I should get screened for OCD.

I did this test because of that and was really surprised at my results. I was so surprised I did the test again and got the same score.

https://psychcentral.com/cgi-bin/ocd2.cgi?600=7&gender=2&age=31&100=1&200=2&300=3&400=1&500=2

I got 16, which means it's very likely I have OCD.

Magnesiun L-threonate. If that doesn't work, add L-tryptophan. If those don't work, then L-glutamic acid. If not, then N-acetyl selank + memantine (increase to 5-10mg in 2.5mg increments).

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Magnesiun L-threonate. If that doesn't work, add L-tryptophan. If those don't work, then L-glutamic acid. If not, then N-acetyl selank + memantine (increase to 5-10mg in 2.5mg increments).

Speaking of ads... lol.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Wow I think I was too generous with the earlier questions by answering based on myself pre-medication
I got uh

I’m diagnosed with pretty bad OCD and woah that was two years? Yeah I’ve been taking Zoloft for two years which has definitely helped.

baccheion

Local time
-->
Wow I think I was too generous with the earlier questions by answering based on myself pre-medication
I got uh

I’m diagnosed with pretty bad OCD and woah that was two years? Yeah I’ve been taking Zoloft for two years which has definitely helped.
Memantine (5-10 mg) + selank is even better/safer. On the other hand, it may be hard to stop Zoloft after taking it for such a long time.

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
-->
I got a zero. None of the things I obsess over (mainly, symbolizing the world and subordinate ideas in as accurate, as thorough, and as parsimonious a manner as possible) were mentioned in the questions.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I have learned that I have some obsessive traits, but I don't think I actually have OCD.. most of my obsessions stem from anxiety as opposed to the OCD causing anxiety.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I got uh

I just did the test again because I think I'm doing a lot better than I was years ago.
Surprised that I got a 23 this time! I thought it would be much lower.
I am doing better, but I think that's more with anxiety related things than OCD... maybe. I still have a lotta trouble getting schoolwork done! Here procrastinating a late essay that's 60% of my grade.

caitlinwaters

QUESTION! QUESTION..QUESTION?
Local time
-->
I got a 25...
I have a thousand little things I obsess over on a daily basis but I think that's normal

For those of you who got a high score I don't think these tests are very credible, it's better to find out by going to a real psychiatrist if this is really a preoccupation for you

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

moody

Local time
Today 1:31 AM
-->
I scored a 29. From what I’ve struggeled with personally, I know I definately could have ODC. But whatever, I’m not worrying about it.

According to the DSM, if the “ritualistic-like” behaviors (I.e., having to check the locks a certain number of times, making sure you wash your hands twice, having to have something lined up a certain way, etc.) take up to or over an hour Each day, you have OCD. If they don’t, then you don’t have OCD.

@Hadoblado
You’re totally right about how consuming OCD is...when I first read about OCD in a text book for one of the psych classes I’ve taken, I was suprised; The stereotypes are NOT accurate. It’s made me realize how little awareness there is about OCD. The text even named it the most impairing disorder one can have (including physical ailments, such as blindness).

moody

Local time
Today 1:31 AM
-->
@caitlinwaters
We always think that we’re normal, because we’re our own standards of normal. You don’t really know until someone gets exactly where you’re coming from, and is able to tell you if they or other people experience the same thing. Other people LoVE to act like their stressed out and have so many things to do, so sometimes we have a hard time realizing if we’re stressing more or less about something than the average Joe. At least, that’s happened to me a lot.

dai

Redshirt
Local time
Today 9:31 AM
-->
Top Bottom