• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

On Problem Solving

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
Today 5:58 AM
-->
Beginnings

They always say that starting is the hardest part. Whoever they are, they seem to know what they’re talking about. You get so wrapped up in a problem you don’t even know where it begins – or where you should start to unwind it. Everything looks like one continuous, unsolvable mess, too complicated to dissect, analyze, and solve. With practice and patience, however, no problem must be dealt with irrationally. The trick is just getting in the right mindset.

What is the right mindset, then? People always talk about “getting in the mood” or “setting your head straight” but nobody really explains what the “mood” is, or why your head isn’t on straight to begin with. It is important to understand that to first start fixing a problem, we must be able to efficiently analyze it and work to fix it. If we do not have the mental capacity to fully understand the problem, then our theory to do so will be flawed, and, although our actions could be rational given our data, it could be the wrong decision simply because we have not given the problem the amount of precise attention it deserves.
This thread will serve to answer a few questions about solving problems for any MBTI type. Several references to Jungian typology will be made, so follow the link here to familiarize yourself with the terminology, or brush up if you are a bit rusty. I will attempt to dissect:

- - Acquiring the “correct mindset” for problem solving (and subsequent smaller questions that arise)
- - Using the mindset efficiently
- - Analyzing the problem logically
- - Arriving at a rational decision

Correct mindset is one of those vague intuition-based terms that people seem to throw around a lot. Being a Ni-dom myself, I don’t see much of a problem with it. However, since this is an INTP-based forum…
Correct mindset first necessitates a clear and stress-free head. What is the simplest way to clear your head and release some stress? Take a walk. This is always my go-to when I’m frustrated or need to work something out. In this instance, it’s my Se that’s doing the trick here. This brings us to the first step of acquiring a correct mindset, (at least for intuitive introverts):

1. Prime your mind with Se
Get rid of both subjective interpretation (introverted judging functions) and stick to physicality (don’t think about anything). Se is a great way to do this because it epitomizes the opposites of both these characteristics. Additionally, increasing your blood flow should make you feel refreshed, not to mention the cooling feeling of taking a brisk walk in the cool winter air (and the subsequent warmth upon your return).
You’re not out of the woods, yet! Although you may be physically prepared for dissection of the problem, mentally, it could be a different story. Got up and out, shaking out the cobwebs? Time for step two:

2. Objectify and understand Fe/Fi
This may not be so hard for you INTPs, but for other types this can be quite the challenge. Our emotions are often bound with most of what we think about and do throughout the day. They seem to accompany us wherever we go, even during the most inopportune times. Undoubtedly, meddling with emotions while trying to solve an already difficult problem won’t make the situation any easier. For this reason, it is important to understand your feelings and why you feel that way (because believe it or not they are important, and will come into effect later). For this step, I suggest writing down every emotion you have about the consequences of your actions (or just the problem itself, life in general, etc.). Write them on a piece of paper, then hide the paper and forget everything you just said. Write notes on both good and bad feelings, such as: I don’t like person A because they said this, or: I would like to do action B because it is fun, etc. As aforementioned, these feelings are important to your overall decision, but because they often get in the way of rational decision-making, I suggest we try to apply them to a logical framework, rather than to attempt to apply logic to feelings, because that can get really messy.

- Fe = I want to make others feel good. This is true for me. I enjoy giving people things because it makes me feel good, and it makes them like me, which I like. I guess I like Fe because ultimately it works into Fi, which is exemplary of my INTJ tendencies. So, I’ll work with Fi primarily.
- Fi = I want to make myself feel good. I think this is the killer here. I want to make myself feel good. Who doesn’t?

Now, you should have achieved the correct mindset, capable of dismantling even the most intimidating theses. It’s time to use your mindset effectively:

3. Assess the problem in its most basic form (Te?)
This is a simple step, and I’m not sure if it really uses any function, but perhaps Te. Basically, we just want to set the framework for analysis. Consider the most fundamental aspects of the problem, preferably in binary. For example: if it is the case that state A occurs, then action A and action B are mutually exclusive and exhaustive decision choices. This step may not be necessary for those who excel at comprehending problems.
4. Use your intuition (Ni, Ne)
This is a step that I believe people do without fully understanding. I’m personally a sucker for the intuitive functions, so this is my favorite part in the decision-making process! This step and the next step can be switched, depending on how you like to do things. Generally, though, I suggest working through intuition first because unless you’re strong Ni-dom, it probably won’t give most people too much help.
Different thinkers do things differently. Ne-dom would use Ne first whereas Ni would do Ni last. You can’t just stack these together (just like the other functions) because they are not the same, despite using the same ‘frequency’. I feel a discussion is necessary on the differences between Ne and Ni and how one is an expander and the other is a contractor. Ne drives creation and Ni drives succinctness.

Ne picks from external stimuli and inserts into logical thought. What I think people miss often is that intuition and logic are inherently bound to the proverbial whipping post. If one is in trouble, the other must save the day. They’re never polar opposites so they must always work together. This is the combination of functions that I think people misunderstand, because they focus on the primary and quaternary functions and the second and third, and leave out the relationship between primary and secondary/ tertiary. These are probably the most important relationships of the human mind because it is with these relationships that we forge our own working image of the world around us. These functions must work in unison because if they don’t the entire cognitive process is dismantled.

Now, you’ve created an end point, and got some good brainstorming in. Now it’s time to really set down and start crackin’:

5. Analyze the problem and achieve rational conclusion (Ti)
Ironically, the most important part will be the part I focus the least on in this thread. You INTPs already know how to make use of your Ti; taking advice from an INFJ on this is silly. If anything, you guys should explain this step to me…

BIG PICTURE:
The way to solve problems is to work from the least amount of information to the greatest, and then back down again, or the reverse. Run through the information gradients, then walk through them back again.

Holy shit.

Sorry about the spoilers. I don't want that many, but it keeps adding them.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:58 AM
-->
It's sad that you haven't received any replies yet,
but unfortunately i can't wrap my head about all that MBTI jargon.

Local time
Today 10:58 AM
-->
I can't believe I didn't see this earlier... :storks:
4. Use your intuition (Ni, Ne)
This is a step that I believe people do without fully understanding. I’m personally a sucker for the intuitive functions, so this is my favorite part in the decision-making process! This step and the next step can be switched, depending on how you like to do things. Generally, though, I suggest working through intuition first because unless you’re strong Ni-dom, it probably won’t give most people too much help.
Different thinkers do things differently. Ne-dom would use Ne first whereas Ni would do Ni last. You can’t just stack these together (just like the other functions) because they are not the same, despite using the same ‘frequency’. I feel a discussion is necessary on the differences between Ne and Ni and how one is an expander and the other is a contractor. Ne drives creation and Ni drives succinctness.

Ne picks from external stimuli and inserts into logical thought. What I think people miss often is that intuition and logic are inherently bound to the proverbial whipping post. If one is in trouble, the other must save the day. They’re never polar opposites so they must always work together. This is the combination of functions that I think people misunderstand, because they focus on the primary and quaternary functions and the second and third, and leave out the relationship between primary and secondary/ tertiary. These are probably the most important relationships of the human mind because it is with these relationships that we forge our own working image of the world around us. These functions must work in unison because if they don’t the entire cognitive process is dismantled.
BIG PICTURE:
The way to solve problems is to work from the least amount of information to the greatest, and then back down again, or the reverse. Run through the information gradients, then walk through them back again.
There are several ways that this contradicts other things in the OP.

I'd be interested in exploring Ne vs Ni. See this post. What are you able to glean from this thread?

Also, related to the OP's general idea.

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
Today 5:58 AM
-->
I can't believe I didn't see this earlier... :storks:
There are several ways that this contradicts other things in the OP.
I don't doubt that. Most of this was written without much guidance from myself or thought.
I'd be interested in exploring Ne vs Ni. See this post.
I'm interested in Ne vs. Ni too.

If I understand correctly, (concerning Ne/Ti bounce) it has shortest wavelength and frequency because it's a direct interaction between the two?

If so, then basically that's what I was trying to say ITT; that intuition and thinking are inherently bound. The same would work for Ni/Ti and Ni/Te, but I don't know what would happen with Ne/Te. I don't really understand Te that well.
What are you able to glean from this thread?
As far as the OP is concerned, this post by Cavallier is pretty close to what I would have said.

Once you started going on about the perception of space, I just took it as your way to visualize holistic interpretation.

If you want I can read it again at a later date.

Top Bottom