• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

On The Connexion Between the Inutition MBTI dichtomty and Machine Learning Algorihtms

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
Today, 12:48
in machine learning theory, reinforcement learning is a process close to how humans learn to behave in the world: you learn from experience, but then you have to exploit that experience to make decisions. You can't afford to only explore because you don't have infinitive time and resources. At the same time, you can't only exploit either; then your knowledge will be overfitted to a small set of data, making your understanding of the world very poor, and you will get bad results from your decisions. A reinforcement algo tries to find the balance between exploring and exploiting. I see what has been categorized as the Ne-Ni dichotomy as just different levels of balance between preferences for exploring and exploiting. INTPs are people who are biased heavily towards exploring – preferably without ever committing to any conviction and never make any actual decisions. INTJs are biased in the opposite direction – they learn some small set of facts and start basing all their thinking and decisions on those.

Artsu Tharaz

Resident Resident
Local time
Today, 23:48
Is the patterns vs details dichotomy relevant here?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 22:18
I think I pretty much agree - sort of. I've seen explanations of INTP as being more of an exploiter though, which I related to at the time but perhaps not so much anymore. The whole first principles thing but for INTP:

@computerhxr
Not in my experience either. From what I've seen they anchor their perspectives in whatever works for them (like most people), but tone up the influence of that foundation.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
Today, 04:48
@Serac @Hadoblado

The 16personalities website puts Elon Musk as INTJ.

Elon Musk said:
Well, I do think there’s a good framework for thinking. It is physics. You know, the sort of first principles reasoning. Generally I think there are — what I mean by that is, boil things down to their fundamental truths and reason up from there, as opposed to reasoning by analogy.

Through most of our life, we get through life by reasoning by analogy, which essentially means copying what other people do with slight variations.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 22:18
Okay but that's just one guy - and just one read? Maybe first principles is what worked for him... he's also like... the definition of an exception. Basing observations on outliers is not a great place to start any line of reasoning. #geniusplayboybillionairephilanthropist

Artsu Tharaz

Resident Resident
Local time
The term "first principles" makes me think of Ti but anyway...

What I do with Jungian typology is generally to just look at what each of the 8 functions mean/what each of the dichotomies mean and just and gain as much insight into things from that ground level.

- As opposed to when people make a multitude of different observations about people and try and place that into the type framework.

(hope that made sense)

Not sure if that's generally how Ni does it but that's how I do it as Ni lead.

QuickTwist

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 06:48
As I understand it Ni is the link to the collective unconscious because it's based in introversion. Intuition is the second strongest determinant to Introversion. What I mean by that is that intuition is closest to introversion between all the other bases to the cognitive functions. Thinking comes in second to intuition, then feeling, then sensing. But IDK if Jung thought he was the most Introverted type or not, but based on his writing in Psychological Types, I feel confident that is the way the base functions work in relation to E and I.

Artsu Tharaz

Resident Resident
Local time
As I understand it Ni is the link to the collective unconscious because it's based in introversion. Intuition is the second strongest determinant to Introversion. What I mean by that is that intuition is closest to introversion between all the other bases to the cognitive functions. Thinking comes in second to intuition, then feeling, then sensing. But IDK if Jung thought he was the most Introverted type or not, but based on his writing in Psychological Types, I feel confident that is the way the base functions work in relation to E and I.
There's an interesting debate to this, because there's reason to think that both intuition and thinking are similar in nature to introversion, but while Pod'lair puts both introversion and intuition as yin qualities, it says that thinking has a yang quality, so that feeling goes with introversion and intuition, and thinking goes with extroversion and sensing.

I've seen other reason to think that it goes N>T>F>S, for example in terms of the supposed statistics of how rare each dichotomy is, as well as my interpretation of Plato's divided line, but I also see the reason behind Pod'lair's approach where it goes N>F>T>S as you go from most spiritual/tacit to most scientific/concrete.

It may also be that either approach works depending on what aspects of the dichotomies you're putting into view.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
The term "first principles" makes me think of Ti but anyway...

What I do with Jungian typology is generally to just look at what each of the 8 functions mean/what each of the dichotomies mean and just and gain as much insight into things from that ground level.

- As opposed to when people make a multitude of different observations about people and try and place that into the type framework.

(hope that made sense)

Not sure if that's generally how Ni does it but that's how I do it as Ni lead.
That sounds like a first principles, bottom-up approach.

Google said:
First principle: the fundamental concepts or assumptions on which a theory, system, or method is based.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
That sounds like a first principles, bottom-up approach.
Yeah so I don't know if that's my Ni or Ti or both or what (I'm INFJ).
The way that I think of it is, that Ni is Archetypal and abstract. Whereas, Ti is more of a way to process information, or to reduce the abstraction down to a granular level.

Top Bottom