• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Other RPGS

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 20:37
Well, I went to the hobby shop today and they have a huge expanded wall of used product (even back to 1st Ed D&D and similar time-period things).

I managed to buy the Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook for 2/3 of the original cover price. Did anyone ever play shadowrun before? I still hear people talk about it, but I never played it -- looking through it, though, it seems pretty typical of games I've seen in that kind of tech/fantasy genre.

Another cool book I picked up was the D20 Modern Weapons Locker manual. It's chock-full of just about any gun (for example) that you can think of with a side-profile pic so you can see what it looks like, plus a paragraph describing it + all the d20 stats to use it in a game.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today, 01:37
I am playing the kickstarter shadowrun thingy right now, the writing is really good, the lack of voice acting is kinda refreshing; moreover, I like how they just put dragons and fantasy stuff; AND the matrix sci-fi, and cyberpunk in one universe without it feeling bloated.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
What's the kickstarter thing? the 20th anniversary book I have came out in 2009, so that would date the game as 1989. I haven't really looked at the original, I wonder how much of it matches the 20th anniversary book.

Both Shadowrun and The Matrix movie obviously were drawing from Gibson as a source at the time.

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 02:37
I played it and wasn't too impressed with shadowrun. Having access to three most popular areas, (modernity, future and fantasy) and limitless possibilities allows for impressive mechanics and interesting gameplay, however it didn't perform as well as any of my favourites that focused solely on a single period or setting motive.

I know a versatile system called World of Darkness which incorporates multiple settings and mixes fantasy/reality and does it, imo, with great success.

The pc game which Cherry mentioned may be good, not sure about that. The system was decent but not awesome to be worth my time.
Both Shadowrun and The Matrix movie obviously were drawing from Gibson as a source at the time.
Gibson draws masterful images and perfect atmosphere for the setting, a setting which in fact is his and him.
I just recently got his books in original language and his trilogy is so good at portraying the setting that I think it may be the bias of his works that serves as explanation and image of the world that makes others borrow from him. If you work on something related it seems inescapable not to connect it to previous creations from the genre.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
I played it and wasn't too impressed with shadowrun. Having access to three most popular areas, (modernity, future and fantasy) and limitless possibilities allows for impressive mechanics and interesting gameplay, however it didn't perform as well as any of my favourites that focused solely on a single period or setting motive.
Yeah, I only read a little bit last night.

I was mainly interested due to the futuristic setting, since we never got to play your PbP campaign here and I even had my character all made up. So it provided some rules for that at least. I haven't read all the setting stuff, although I wishing they had put a more unique spin on dwarves, elves, trolls, and orks (as spelled in that game).

I did laugh at the elf and ork posers; there are some fun concepts in there.

I know a versatile system called World of Darkness which incorporates multiple settings and mixes fantasy/reality and does it, imo, with great success.
Yeah, I've played NWoD and have some of the main books (Mage, Vampire, Prometheus, rules, etc.). I really enjoyed it and in some ways it seems easier than d20 systems... although not the Mage one, that was a bit confusing and reminded me of the confusion of Exalted.

Top Bottom