• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Pathfinder: Good Campaign Yes?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:20
Hello0!

I am writing to inform you, the gumptious aspiring adventurer that I’m not dead, and the campaign is coming along nicely. Now that I’m finally getting around to learning the roll20 system (far better than that fool RB), the remaining obstacles are few indeed!

Currently the list of players includes:

1) Myself
2) RB
3) Abs
4) Jenny
5) Cog
6) Cheese
7) Blarraun

I don't intend on inviting any more at this point in time, though I may be tempted to run the campaign in two different groups if interest is high. Probably not at the same time though.

It’s time to start talking character design, and more importantly, to relay some of the decisions and design goals I have set for this campaign. These are still up for debate, though now that they’re public knowledge I will be more conservative in reneging them, as I want to avoid confusion if at all possible.

First of all, you may share information about your characters among yourselves freely. You’re also allowed to lie (and are encouraged to depending on your prospective alignment). The main reason for sharing would be to have some semblance of a balanced party. While I won't forbid it, it might be more fun for you if you keep your identity unknown for now.

Secondly, we’re using slow experience progression tables. See: here

However, some classes will receive more experience than others from battle.

2x XP: Fighters, paladins, monks, gunslingers, barbarians, cavalier

1.5x XP: Bard, ranger, rogue, magus, inquisitor

Erryone else: 1x XP (full caster types).

There are several reasons for this. Rebalancing is a big deal. But also, I want to reimburse the non-casters and non-skill monkeys in some way, for some of the other changes I’m making.

Thirdly, itemisation will be dynamic, and equipment availability will be restricted.

Fourthly, fuck numbering let’s bullet-point this shit.

- You will be starting buck naked with no cash, in an unfamiliar place far from home. As such, interaction with backstory elements are less likely than normal. Backstories aren’t as required as in other campaigns, but are still highly recommended for character development. I’ll be giving out XP rewards for backstories varying from 0 to 300 XP.

- Starting stats will be 25 pointbuy. I can arrange to roll some stats for those inclined towards more organic character creation.

- You start with one trait chosen for you by the DM. I will eventually allow people to pick more traits, including some from a custom list that are potentially more powerful. I will also be making traits exchangeable at certain times based on accomplishment and opportunity (hence the liberty I take in assigning a starting trait). Think of it more as itemisation of one’s character and exploits.

- The trait I choose for you is ‘indeterminate destiny’, rendering your alignment unknowable by PC’s and NPC’s alike.

- Alignment will not be concreted until reaching level four, at which point there may be penalties for changing (DM’s discretion). If your class has alignment restrictions then you’ll still need to abide by them.

- Experience will be awarded for character development and particularly impressive plays. Creativity will be rewarded the first time.

- The following feats are disallowed: balanced summoning, superior summoning, leadership, (please run any potentially controversial character choices past me first, I don’t want to have to shape a campaign around controlling one OP character and his infinite fucking minions).

- The following classes are disallowed: summoner. nopenopenopenopenope

- Using paragon surge to tutor for the expanded arcana feat is disallowed.

- Third party content is disallowed, but may be available upon request. I won’t be pushed into making it available however. A lot of third party content is BS and players have no business feeling entitled to any of it.

- As character alignments and personalities may clash, it’s recommended that there be some system for resolving disputes that is agreed upon before-hand (I personally enjoy opposed charisma checks for dispute resolution). D&D is often more enjoyable if the party works as a cohesive unit rather than a bunch of people that don’t really have any reason to be working together. A DM can only do so much to promote friendly play, most limit alignments to ‘friendly’, but I don’t want to do that. I will seek to replicate the same forces that lend themselves to friendly interaction in the real world. Consequences will never be the same.

- If combat does happen, teamwork will be important. The difficulty will sometimes be very high. While I'm not against roleplaying petty grievances, you may have to put them aside every now and then to survive. Eventually, your party will have been through a lot together, and I expect a certain degree of (broth/sist)erhood from all but the snarkiest of cuntromancers.

- I’ll consider interesting race choices if they’re not too powerful. RP = <11. We can customise to bring down power levels if there’s something you really want that’s too powerful.

- I will allocate time for crafting/researching/retraining etc. between sessions when appropriate. This will all be handled outside of sessions (as well as shopping and leveling up), if you don’t bring your propositions to me early enough then you may miss out. I’m unfamiliar with all this nonsense so I need more time to prepare than you’d expect.

- I will require people to handle their character sheets outside of the session. Having alternative spell lists is also recommended.

- Prestige classing is possible, but you’ll need to indicate your intention well ahead of time so I can write in the appropriate circumstance of exposure.

- I’ll be trying to bring a range of styles to the campaign. I do value feedback on what elements people do/don’t enjoy so I can tailor the experience to the players. It will however be largely experimental at first.

- Campaign arc will prioritise giving freedom to the players/characters. I will need time to write new material if major deviations from the campaign core are intended. A DM that is always adjusting is less able to provide the best possible campaign material. Please don’t planeshift without prior warning!

- Character deaths are expected, but aren't necessarily ‘fatal’. Magic bitches!

- Some fights will be unwinnable at the time you encounter them. If I've done my job well there should be ample evidence that a fight is not going to work out in your favour at your current level. I’m not a fan of the entitlement people feel being able to best anything they ever meet. Characters are encouraged to do everything in their power to inform themselves on what fights are worth taking. I’m not looking to make this a series of scaling combat encounters.

- Saves and HP will be important. People that look comparatively wimpy (<14 Con) will be picked on by cunning opponents, with a high chance of fatality. HP is even more important than usual since...

- Total HP will equal to precisely half HD + mods. No favourable rounding. A 3rd level fighter gets 15HP + mods (half 3d10). This is less than normal, particularly at low levels. Enemies will also strictly abide by this rule. It's easier to calculate and makes for faster combat. I'd feel bad but 25 point buy is generous.

- This campaign will have combat, but a lot of it will be optional. Skills and savvy spell use will be paramount.

- There will be a *lot* of custom equipment, spells, and other nonsense. Part of the fun of DMing for me is designing new stuff and seeing how you handle it.

- I'm thinking of implementing an end of session mini-poll, every player fills it out and gets 5xp for every PC name they remember, 5xp for each law/chaos axis they guess correctly, and 5xp for every good/evil axis they guess correctly. Players will also get 5xp for each other player that guesses their alignment correctly. This is meant as some socially engineered immersion and roleplay incentive. Thoughts?

- Use this thread to discuss house rules, balance issues, and give feedback. This is the meta-discussion thread. I will make other threads for keeping the story updated, and possibly for other things.

- I'm currently looking into some of the more technical automation for the roll20 system. If successful, I will be trying to get as many of you as possible to comply with some specifications such as using the roll20 pathfinder charactersheet, which if done well will allow me to unify tokens, macros, and character sheets, saving buckets of time. RB says that I'm a right dickhead for trying to do this, as it's hella complicated, so it may not work out.

I still don't intend on starting for a while yet (a couple months maybe?). But since I'm bringing everything together atm, I may as well get you guys organised too. Until then my thesaurus will be positively afroth at the prospect of describing and facilitating your co-imagined exploits in the near future. Good day.

~ I'll be adding more to this thread as I think of it. I'm now open for dialogue concerning character creation ;)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:50
I'll wait and see what others will play before I roll a character. Looking forward to the campaign :)

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Today, 18:50
I want to make whatever RedBaron is making! I'll make exactly the same thing!!!!

*excited*

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Omg we can be like twins!!!!

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
As character alignments and personalities may clash, it’s recommended that there be some system for resolving disputes that is agreed upon before-hand
Oh yes, I'm throwing my hat in the ring for making "final call" on party disputes. It's a tough job, but I'm wiling to struggle under the heavy burden and terrible responsible for the maximum benefit of my fellow adventurers.

(What's that? Of COURSE I am committedly impartial. Wtf man?! I read a lot of Legion of Super Heroes comics growing up, I know how to be the supergroup leader! yeeesh!)

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 11:50
I personally enjoy opposed charisma checks for dispute resolution
I like playing high charisma characters and for that very reason I don't think this is a good idea, I'd much rather have a leader to work with whether it be Jenny or some NPC Gandalf figure, or we could just sort it out with nonlethal combat like normal people :rolleyes:

First of all, you may share information about your characters among yourselves freely. You’re also allowed to lie (and are encouraged to depending on your prospective alignment). The main reason for sharing would be to have some semblance of a balanced party. While I won't forbid it, it might be more fun for you if you keep your identity unknown for now.
Awesome.

You will be starting buck naked with no cash
Awesome.

- Character deaths are expected, but aren't necessarily ‘fatal’. Magic bitches!
By all means kill me, I much prefer to suffer the consequences of my own stupidity than be treated like the petulant child I am.

- There will be a *lot* of custom equipment, spells, and other nonsense. Part of the fun of DMing for me is designing new stuff and seeing how you handle it.
Awesome.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Omg we can be like twins!!!!
You should totally be twins! But opposite twins! Like one can be a barbarian and the other can be a bardbarian.

For player disputes you can always use your mobile phone to access the justice system. Complete with judges and jury.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Can I play an Orc Barbarian?
Looks like a green Saxton Hale with tusks.
Without weapons or armor starting off is going to be pretty hard for anyone who isn't a monk or magic user, or are we going to be assigned gear?

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
I assume we'll get stuff at a reasonable time. Spellcasters aren't starting with their familiars or spellbooks either, I think. So I read it as just his way of saying, "You don't get to prepick weapons or magic items." Possibly we're all prisoners and/or banished somewhere.

(I bet you're just scared of everyone seeing you nekkid!)

By all means kill me, I much prefer to suffer the consequences of my own stupidity than be treated like the petulant child I am.
Oh, we won't let you die.

(I mean, your internal organs won't be any good to me if they are extracted when you're dead.)

---

I was mostly being sarcastic about making "final call"... but it doesn't mean I'm not willing to explore the possibilities. :D

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:50
Without weapons or armor starting off is going to be pretty hard for anyone who isn't a monk or magic user, or are we going to be assigned gear?
From rags to riches, typical and maybe underappreciated scenario

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Opposed charisma checks will be skewed in favour of people with high charisma (obviously..), but the effect won't be nearly as large as it sounds.

Five people all rolling opposed charisma checks each have a 20% of winning assuming 10 CHA each. If one of those players happens to have a solid 20, then that person's average roll is 15.5, but still has to beat four unmodified checks (average high roll = like fucking 18 or 19 or some shit I'm not a fucking wizard right?). It's more like a statistical democracy, with some people having slight advantages. If your idea is bad, it's unlikely that more than one player will vote for it.

As for electing a leader? I'm happy for that to happen too, though it's likely best to make sure everyone agrees on it.

- My long time friend Sexist Tom may be joining in on the action. He was in my last campaign, though lacks experience outside of that. He's a fairly good player.

- You will attain new spellbooks in a reasonable amount of time. In the interest of fairness (but to the detriment of realism) I'll allow you to pick what spells are in them as usual. Familiars will be obtainable fairly early too.

- Rags to riches... or... mid to upper squander XD. I want people to be in a more adaptive mood, and giving people prior knowledge and time/money to plan with takes away from that.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
It's nightmarish trying to roll a character for a campaign that could be anything with a party that could be made up of anyone. Even though it's a lower emphasis on combat in this campaign, I can't help but optimize for combat.

D:

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Erm...

For those of you that have made up your mind about stuff and don't care who knows it, please either tell me that that's the case or inform the other players individually. I don't know how much you guys are talking among yourselves, but I've been asked by several people for more party context before creating their characters. Since I don't know who's trying to hide stuff, I've been largely evasive.

Poor RB is already on like his 10th bloody character design.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
yes... I'm just a poor lonely peasant woman whose family abandoned her, leaving her to fend for herself by only her resilience and modest wit, ekeing out a meager living doing what she can for the villagers nearby.

Won't someone please take pity on me and make sure I'm okay?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Apparently I'm a rouge of whatever the natives are, he refused the Changeling Anti-Paladin and Strix Zen Archer for being munchkin nonsense so I got fed up and said I'd take whatever he'd give me.

Actually to be more precise he said "rouge like" which makes me wonder if he actually means a rouge or if he's just going to kill me over and over until I create a character myself :phear:

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
I'm going to roll the stats for a fucking sensitive Tiefling Fighter from the North Plains who was cut from their dead mother's womb
That's pretty awesome.

grave Half-elf Ranger from the Underdark who drunkenly swore a blood oath and forgot what for
Oh god that's fantastic, Hado what's a blood oath and how do I get one? :D

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Oh don't you go forgetting your heritage Cog ol' boi

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Apparently I'm a rouge of whatever the natives are, he refused the Changeling Anti-Paladin and Strix Zen Archer for being munchkin nonsense so I got fed up and said I'd take whatever he'd give me.

Actually to be more precise he said "rouge like" which makes me wonder if he actually means a rouge or if he's just going to kill me over and over until I create a character myself :phear:
A rouge? Sounds rather cheeky to me, Moulin.

I hope RB plays a good mascara.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
A moulin or glacier mill is a roughly circular, vertical to nearly vertical well-like shaft within a glacier through which water enters from the surface. The term is derived from the French word for mill.
...huh?

Edit: Oh Moulin Rouge.
Y'know if he decides my character is female you might have some competition for the pity stakes :D

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
...huh?

Edit: Oh Moulin Rouge.
Y'know if he decides my character is female you might have some competition for the pity stakes :D
You could always play a rogue instead.

And don't downplay males: There's are many pathetic men characters out there too. :D

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
GM I ask of thee to roll random attributes for my character using a method of your choice and provide them, I want everything about this character's creation to be random.

Are we clear?:ahh: I ask because I want every part of this process to remain provably arbitrary and random.

What I know about my character:
It will be a publicly jovial half-elf rogue from nowhere with a tendency to hold a grudge if something doesn't tick properly within his "cogs".

'kay, pseudo-random not "random"

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
I'm going to try and guess what everyone will be.

Hado: The Gandalf
Redbaron: Cleric, the wisest choice.
Absurdity: The hardest to guess, Fighter maybe?
Jennywocky: Changeling Witch
Cognisant: Some exotic rogue like thing
Cheese: Anything but healbot, Barbarian or Sorcerer methinks.
Blarraun: Rogue

If Absurdity and Cheese go rogue the four of us are going to steal everything that isn't nailed to the floor and half the stuff that is.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
For my part, I would like to see a Cheese barbarian.
he's already the most bad-ass cleric I've seen without even trying.

exotic rogue? Does that mean you'll have feathers?

Actually, a rogue party could be pretty devastating basically because they would give each other flanks and thus precision damage (they can each dual-wield). Another devastating group could be a party with a few inquisitors in it -- same deal, if the party takes some similar teamwork feats that the inquisitors all have, it could get REALLY brutal.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
I second cheese as being possibly the greatest Barbarian to ever grace Pathfinder.

My first choice would probably be a Cleric, but a differrent flavour to the standard support. Other considerations are Druid, Sorcerer, Oracle, Ranger, Fighter, Inquisitor, Paladin.

When Hado said I'm near concept #10 he wasn't kidding :ahh:

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
I second cheese as being possibly the greatest Barbarian to ever grace Pathfinder.

My first choice would probably be a Cleric, but a differrent flavour to the standard support. Other considerations are Druid, Sorcerer, Oracle, Ranger, Fighter, Inquisitor, Paladin.

When Hado said I'm near concept #10 he wasn't kidding :ahh:
Have you tried a merfolk swashbuckler sorcerer yet?

Other ideas:
- Goblin Cavalier with a giant spider mount
- half-Orc diplomat/lore master
- Ratfolk Investigator that is scared of snakes
- Female bard poledancer that uses a polearm in battle / dancing
- deranged barbarian who thinks he's a lumberjack and that people are trees; crafting skill in carpentry

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
lol@erryone thinking Cheese would make the best barbarian ever... I tried to tell him.... the fool...

Doesn't look like it'll happen, though his current idea looks good too.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Jenny's psychic!

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Okay so:

Cheese: Bard
Blarraun: Rogue
Cog: Exotic Rogue-Like Thing

Leaving

Jenny unknown
Abs Unknown
RB as fill
Sexist Tom as like another rogue or some shit cos he loves that rubbish.

The party currently doesn't have a full BAB character. Nor does it have a healer (though they're often less required than people would have you believe:evil:). I know at least one member of the undecided is going full caster, though not whether it's arcane or divine.

Edit: And for clarification, when I said low magic campaign, I didn't mean it in the traditional sense. What I mean is that people able to cast high level spells are rarer, and high level magic items are rarer as a result. I'm planning on actually giving you a higher number of less expensive magic items. Thanks RB for being angry and confused enough that I realised I hadn't made this clear.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Ooh cheese is a Bard? I thought based on Jenny being psychic he was literally playing a Bardbarian (it's actually a real class).

Also healers are overrated.

Hadoblado said:
Thanks RB for being angry and confused enough that I realised I hadn't made this clear.
Hey, that's what best friends are for :)

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
wait, I meant a Bradbarian!

Or a Bradburyian?

Maybe some combination of both.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Alright I'm ditching Formless Ninja so there's no longer any point being secretive about this, besides we really ought to work together on who fills what party role.

I'm playing a Kitsune Ninja named Sierra, lots of Charisma, Forgotten Trick will be my first Ninja Trick for the sake of adaptability but otherwise I'll be focusing on using my Ki to make multiple attacks either in melee or with Flurry of Stars, sneak attacking whenever possible obviously. Also unless we get a party alchemist or alchemically minded wizard I'll be putting points into Craft Alchemy, I can poison weapons for the party (have a dagger or two sheathed for bad fights) and make alchemical stuff like antitoxen for when someone rolls a 1 or encounters a poisoned trap.

Tactics wise Ninjas get fuck all on their Fortitude and Will saves so don't take offense if I disappear at the first sign of trouble, I'll flank around and take out the casters/supports or hang back if it looks like they've got backstabbers of their own and take them out when they flank our party. Ninjas are nothing defensively, a ninja can walk into an enemy camp with a +31 disguise check, poison their food/water, kill anyone that's sleeping, take as shot at assassinating their leader, then walk right back out again (or vanish and run if discovered) but in a fair fight they're rubbish.

With at least three rogues I figure we're not going to be fighting fair? :D

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Full disclosure: I'm just a poor lonely peasant woman whose family abandoned her, leaving her to fend for herself by only her resilience and modest wit, ekeing out a meager living doing what she can for the villagers nearby.

I like children.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
You're a bloody witch and we all know it :D
How do you feel about teenagers with knives?

As barely a toddler Sierra was abducted by aliens for an extraterrestrial zoo until some of the would-be exhibits got out, took over the ship and crash landed it back on Golarian, then two of the escapees (a dhampir named Lautrec and a drider named Eliza) adopted her. The adoptive parents both thought the other wanted to eat her (one or both of them may have been right) so prevented the other from doing so; Lautrec taught her to be sneaky and hard to track, while Eliza taught her alchemy and politics, that knowledge and her own natural talents naturally led to pursuing the life of a freelance shinobi.

When it was clear Sierra (the only name Lautrec and Eliza could agree on) was old enough pursue her own life they went their separate ways, Eliza returned to the depths underground (after making Sierra promise to visit her someday) and Lautrec in typical dark & mysterious fashion just disappeared as they reached the outskirts of civilization.

Long version:
She doesn't know where she was born or who her biological family was as she was abducted at a very young age, most likely it was a kitsune shinobi clan of some sort. Such communities are exceedingly hard to find given their shape-changing abilities and the wet-work they excel at. Even if she found one it's unknown whether they'd let her live, the clans have long bitter rivalries and impersonating a lost relative is a classic ploy.

What is known is that she was abducted by space pirates, remarkably humanoid things with emotionless eyes and glowing circuitry-like tattoos across their skin. These beings seemed to have been collecting exotic specimens for some kind of extraterrestrial zoo but their plan went awry when one escaped and started releasing everything else.

Exotic people and monsters (some of them quite powerful) cooperated to seize the ship and direct it back towards Golarian whereupon they crash landed it in the Arcadian Ocean and swam to shore as the altogether unseaworthy craft took on water, eventually sinking to uncharted depths.

The survivors of this crash formed a small impromptu community somewhere on one of the islands north of the Arcadian Ocean, by necessity the most predatory and bestial were driven off, but generally they stuck together. Almost all were far from home and still wary of the monsters they'd landed with so an uneasy truce was called, enforced by the more powerful members and the overall majority.

The kitsune cub was co-adopted by a dhampir named Lautrec (looks like Vampire Hunter D but more "creepy thin man" than bishie) and a drider nick-named Eliza (half drow, half spider, white hair, think big fat/busty black lady) because nobody could pronounce her real name. Each "parent" initially thinking the other wanted to eat the cub and trying to prevent it. After much arguing the cub was named Sierra meaning "from the earth" because it was the only name Eliza liked that Lautrec didn't associate with someone distasteful.

By her teens the community was starting to go their separate ways, many wanted to return home, some had been taken by the monsters that were still nearby and Lautrec knew Sierra couldn't live apart from society forever. When the time came to part ways Eliza tearfully let Sierra go, Lautrec having convinced her that Drow society was too dangerous for one so young and with such covert potential, but made her promise they'd meet again someday; Lautrec himself, ever aloof and mysterious disappeared soon after they reached Corentyn.
I was going to use the Additional Traits feat and Adopted to get these traits:
Numerological Gift (Dhampir)
Scarred by Space Pirates

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
You're a bloody witch and we all know it :D
I just like to cook. :( [children : )]

How do you feel about teenagers with knives?
As long as they aren't pointed at me, knives are wonderfully utilitarian tools perfectly for dancing, flaying, and sticking in ceilings when you're bored during a financial presentation.

As barely a toddler Sierra was abducted by aliens for an extraterrestrial zoo until some of the would-be exhibits got out, took over the ship and crash landed it back on Golarian, then two of the escapees (a dhampir named Lautrec and a drider named Eliza) adopted her. The adoptive parents both thought the other wanted to eat her (one or both of them may have been right) so prevented the other from doing so; Lautrec taught her to be sneaky and hard to track, while Eliza taught her alchemy and politics, that knowledge and her own natural talents naturally led to pursuing the life of a freelance shinobi.

When it was clear Sierra (the only name Lautrec and Eliza could agree on) was old enough pursue her own life they went their separate ways, Eliza returned to the depths underground (after making Sierra promise to visit her someday) and Lautrec in typical dark & mysterious fashion just disappeared as they reached the outskirts of civilization.
This sounds like a character from Zelda.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
You and I have very different memories of Zelda :confused:

and sticking in ceilings when you're bored during a financial presentation.
Infallible.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
I don't want to invest much yet if Hado is still months out from running this thing.

Can't we get a little bit of RB's campaign underway in the meantime? I need my fix!

You and I have very different memories of Zelda :confused:
you and I have very different memories of Pathfinder.

Infallible.
It really does hurry things up.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
What's your thoughts on the Black Marketeer feat?

100gp pool to "borrow" illegal goods that can be added to, or in other words I get can spend however much gold I want on illegal stuff but so long as the item is unused/harmed and under 100gp I may return it for a full refund, which will never actually happen, well not unless I start pimping slaves or something.

Making poisons is so much cheaper but will I get the time?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Your black-market connections are not available where you're going.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
May as well just take Skill Focus in Sleight of Hand* and you'll statistically gain more value that way with a +3/+6 bonus.

Plus the black marketeer feat is entirely up to DM leniency and interpretation and gives you no real personal control or improved abilities. Exact opposite of what you want out of a feat.

*Not recommended either considering what else is available.

Edit: didn't realise Hadoblado respondinated.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
What's your thoughts on the Black Marketeer feat?

100gp pool to "borrow" illegal goods that can be added to, or in other words I get can spend however much gold I want on illegal stuff but so long as the item is unused/harmed and under 100gp I may return it for a full refund, which will never actually happen, well not unless I start pimping slaves or something.

Making poisons is so much cheaper but will I get the time?
Your black-market connections are not available where you're going.
May as well just take Skill Focus in Sleight of Hand* and you'll statistically gain more value that way with a +3/+6 bonus.

Plus the black marketeer feat is entirely up to DM leniency and interpretation and gives you no real personal control or improved abilities. Exact opposite of what you want out of a feat.

*Not reccomended either considering what else is available.

Edit: didn't realise Hadoblado respondinated.
you could still take it anyway!

(hahaha i told him he could still take it anyway)

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Do what you gotta do Cog. There is a team of role optimised characters to back you up just in case it's something stupid :).

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Well... You've got at least two reasonably optimised characters backing you. Most people have branched out considerably for roleplay/challenge purposes *stares Blarraun down*

- Fighters now get a free rank in 'craft: armor' and 'craft: weapons' each and every level. This is the equivalent of increasing their base skill progression to that of a barb or other class type, but restricting its use.

- Potions in particular will be more readily available than you would ordinarily expect.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Hado you realize this is tabletop role-playing game right?

Role-playing is what it's all about, combat is dramatic but that drama only has meaning in the context of a story, this isn't a MMORPG we're not going to run around killing slimes for experience points and you can rail-road us into a series of combat encounters but we're all going to get sick of that pretty quick because without context there's no sense of accomplishment.

Denying us traits, dropping us butt-naked into an unknown world and pushing us to optimize for pitiless combat where the most vulnerable are targeted first is effectively denying us the characterization of our own characters, apparently you want faceless shock troops.

"The key to victory is the element of surprise... Surprise!" - Zapp Brannigan

You're running a Zapp Brannigan campaign.

And these are your players:

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Make a Bluff roll.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Why do you think the reduced HP is a good idea, is it because then anyone can die at anytime due to factors beyond their control?

That's a great war movie but fucking terrible game design, especially in a role playing game where as a DM your primary goal is to get your players invested in the lives of their characters and by "lives" I don't simply mean the number of hit points above zero they have or the number of times they can be resurrected. I mean their goals, hopes, dreams, fears and ambitions, the player characters are the actors on your stage and if they're faceless shock troops nobody will care, not even the actors themselves.

If or rather when my sub-optimal character dies I won't be making another one and I request that nobody resurrects me, because if Sierra has no reason to live then your world doesn't deserve her, I'll play her in another campaign or introduce her as an NPC in mine.

Top Bottom