• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Philip K. Dick

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Today 8:41 AM
-->
In my quest to understand the differences between Ni and Ne and Ti vs. Fi I wanted to know if anyone on the forum familiar with PKD's life and work has opinions on his type?

I'm a n00b at typing but I guess I could see him as either INFJ (intense Ni w the psychic/visions stuff) or as as Ti dominant.
Would love to hear the speculation of others and the reasoning behind it to understand the process of typing someone who had such a dynamic yet very consistent and distinct personality/point of view.

wonkavision

Banned
Local time
-->
In my quest to understand the differences between Ni and Ne and Ti vs. Fi I wanted to know if anyone on the forum familiar with PKD's life and work has opinions on his type?

I'm a n00b at typing but I guess I could see him as either INFJ (intense Ni w the psychic/visions stuff) or as as Ti dominant.
Would love to hear the speculation of others and the reasoning behind it to understand the process of typing someone who had such a dynamic yet very consistent and distinct personality/point of view.

I'm an INFJ, and though I have not actually read his books, I HAVE read a lot about HIM.
I'm very interested in him as a person, in his VERY unique personal experiences, and the concepts and themes he wrote about.

Also, I have seen and LOVED just about every movie that was based on one of his stories. (And there are a LOT of them.)

I relate to him in many ways, especially in regard to his experiences with psychedelic drugs and mystical/spiritual visions, etc.

He seemed to have been a borderline Paranoid Schizophrenic, or at least an Ni-Dom.

I believe he was very likely an INFJ.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Today 11:41 AM
-->
Oh, you think everyone is an INFJ. :rolleyes: :p

wonkavision

Banned
Local time
-->
Oh, you think everyone is an INFJ. :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, right!

Everybody knows that INFJs are the RAREST, most ELITE, most GIFTED, MOST (Insert OVERBLOWN words of PRAISE HERE) in the WORLD!

We don't let people into our ranks THAT easy. ;)

HINT: We just think every GENIUS is an INFJ.;)

Puffy

Mindless serf
Local time
Today 4:41 PM
-->
Yeah, right!

Everybody knows that INFJs are the RAREST, most ELITE, most GIFTED, MOST (Insert OVERBLOWN words of PRAISE HERE) in the WORLD!

Oh INFJs - you intense and loveable serial killers nutjobs, you. ;)

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Today 11:41 AM
-->
Yeah, right!

Well, then I should say thank you for trying to recruit me into your ranks at one point. :) I didn't realize I was such a desirable serial killer nutjob commodity.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
He seemed to have been a borderline Paranoid Schizophrenic, or at least an Ni-Dom.

Is paranoid schizophrenia more correlated with Ni or Ne? Likely both, just manifesting differently. I could see heavy Ni-reliance causing a person to believe in their own inner world at the expense of reality and reason whereas overusing Ne would result in apophenia (seeing patterns that may not be there)?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:41 AM
-->
Yeah, right!

If you are half as serious (even in jest) as this post relates, you can be my friend.

wonkavision

Banned
Local time
-->
Oh INFJs - you intense and loveable serial killers nutjobs, you. ;)

LOL--That's hilariously accurate. :D

Well, then I should say thank you for trying to recruit me into your ranks at one point. :) I didn't realize I was such a desirable serial killer nutjob commodity.

OH NO--don't open THAT can of worms again! :phear:

Is paranoid schizophrenia more correlated with Ni or Ne? Likely both, just manifesting differently. I could see heavy Ni-reliance causing a person to believe in their own inner world at the expense of reality and reason whereas overusing Ne would result in apophenia (seeing patterns that may not be there)?

I suspect it's more correlated with Ni.

Ne just generates possibilities: "Maybe it's this, maybe it's that. There are endless possibilities."

Ni says: "It just has to be THIS, my GUT tells me so! This is some kind of REVELATION!"

Ne is more "divergent," if you will. It branches off, and seeks multiple options.

Ni is more "convergent." It narrows down, or seeks the most likely explanation.

Both might result in apophenia, but I suspect Ni is more apt to become paranoia and/or schizophrenia, due to the more "convergent" nature of Ni.

EDIT: Then, again, I'm not really sure of my own type, or exactly how the cognitive functions work,.....or pretty much ANYTHING. So I'm mostly BSing.

Top Bottom