• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Play by Post DnD?

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 4:01 AM
-->
Would anyone be up for playing a game of PbP DnD? Ideally, we'd create a group of four (or five) fleshed out PCs, and then find a DM on a PbP-focused site, or something (or even better, have someone from intpforum DM - we'd still have to go to a PbP site for a dice roller, though). Writing a joint backstory/world might be interesting, too...anyone interested?

gepcy loc

♪♪♪♈Mondayz, time for Alchemy♈♪♪♪
Local time
Today 1:31 AM
-->
* looks around all confused*

I really don't know if I should be here yet but, I could start next week! my college semester ends then. Would it be medieval or futuristic...or what?

Sorry if I did something im not supposed to by being here.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Yesterday 11:31 PM
-->
I wonder, would ChatBox be a good way to run a session?

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
It would be fun.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
Today 2:31 AM
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
I'm all up for it. Which edition? 3, 3.5, 4?

I really don't know if I should be here yet but, I could start next week! my college semester ends then. Would it be medieval or futuristic...or what?

D&D is mostly... think your typical fantasy fare. Elves, dwarves, burning things, swords, burning-sword-wielding elves. Generally, that's what you have.

There are futuristic tabletop RPGs, though; one is Shadowrun. I like that too. :D

I'd prefer to play, but since I'm planning on getting the 4e sourcebooks for a RL group anyway... I could DM. I haven't been playing very long, though, and all my experience is in Pathfinder (essentially D&D 3.75).

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
I'm all up for it. Which edition? 3, 3.5, 4?

D&D is mostly... think your typical fantasy fare. Elves, dwarves, burning things, swords, burning-sword-wielding elves. Generally, that's what you have.

There are futuristic tabletop RPGs, though; one is Shadowrun. I like that too. :D

I'd prefer to play, but since I'm planning on getting the 4e sourcebooks for a RL group anyway... I could DM. I haven't been playing very long, though, and all my experience is in Pathfinder (essentially D&D 3.75).

I've played DnD before, I'm not used to playing 4th ed. yet though..... The worst part of playing this game is deciding what to be.

How are ya' going to know what we role? Or are you going to role for us? I bet you could find some kinda dice rolling thing online that every one can see.

YouTube- D&D 4th Edition: Tiefling & the Gnome

LoLz

gepcy loc

Local time
-->

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I would be interested, but the last time I played was about 5 years ago, and I was never particularly familiar with the rules then. have the core books so I could re-read it, but I'm not sure what edition they are

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
I would be interested, but the last time I played was about 5 years ago, and I was never particularly familiar with the rules then. have the core books so I could re-read it, but I'm not sure what edition they are

DO IT! - DO IT! - DO IT!

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
It appears I have 3rd edition, but how much has it changed since then?

um... it really depends on what version we play, 4th ed. is really different its almost like it was made for board game play, if that makes any since, I don't know that much about 4th ed. 3.5 ed isn't that different from 3rd ed as far as i know, I have a feeling if we don't know something people will fill us in when we need it.

Aiss

int p;
Local time
Today 7:31 AM
-->
4th edition is out already?! *googles* So, the last time I've played 3.5 was coming out.

... do you think I could join?

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
4th edition is out already?! *googles* So, the last time I've played 3.5 was coming out.

... do you think I could join?

Hellz ya!

I think I want to be tinker gnome!

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Awesome! If this ever gets off the ground, it would be amazing. My vote would be to go with 3.5e, because the SRD (i.e. pretty much everything you need to play, if you just want the core rules) is entirely online - sadly, Wizards decided not to make 4e open content, so you need to buy the books if you want to play. Of course, if you can find the sourcebooks off of friends or something, that's just as good ;).

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 6:31 AM
-->
How are ya' going to know what we role? Or are you going to role for us? I bet you could find some kinda dice rolling thing online that every one can see.

Actually, there is a dice roller here. It's rather basic; and Anthile knows more about it than I.

...the standard AdX+B notation where

A = the number of dice to roll (1 if not present)
X = the number of faces on the dice
B = represents a modifier, usually a + or - but also a divides or multiply.

I also need it to do certain things like, only show the sum/result of the roll or show all the die results and the sum of the roll. I also wanted the ability to do open rolls, e.g. if you roll 6, six sided die, you keep rerolling any dice that come up a 6.

So, basically, I have concocted three different bbcodes in one product:

[roll][/roll]
- for rolling and showing only the results or sum
[rollv][/rollv] - for rolling and seeing the result of each dice as well as the sum
[rollo][/rollo] - for open rolls

Each of these takes and optional label for the roll, to be included in the tag after the '=' sign, e.g. [roll0] and so forth. It is, however, optional as the actual notation for the roll is displayed before the results in the final posting.

So, for example, you can enter rolls like the following:

[roll1] to get the sum of 4 six sided die.
[roll2] for a percentage roll (same as 1d100)
[roll3] to roll 4 six sided dice and only sum the "best" three results

It works, but any post consisting of a single roll bbcode cannot be repeated in that form for five minutes or the system says it's a duplicate message. Adding a few words differently for each post remedies this behaviour.

Claverhouse :phear:

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
I can get 3.5 edition sourcebooks off the others in my RL group, if I wind up needing them: that and there's always eBay, although that's a little unreliable. My vote would also be 3.5, because of the online source material. It would just be easiest, and we'd know everyone had access to the rules.

...Actually, if everyone who expressed interest here already wants to go ahead with it, we have enough people. Jaico, gepcy_loc, decaf, darby, aiss, me: that's five players and a DM. That's plenty for a group. So....

Should I start coming up with horrible, horrible ways to kill you all? :evil: Well, before that, do you all even want me to DM? I suspect some of you have a lot more experience than I do with D&D; I've been playing since about September. Not too long. *sniff* My schedule's pretty open, though: pretty much my only social engagements are my RL D&D group and work.

EDIT: *huggles Claverhouse* That's awesome! We could do it here, then...

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
If it is true that 3.5 is not much different than 3(and you could fill me in on new stuff), then I would love to play, although I have school, so that may be difficult as far as being able to play

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
Sweet It looks as if we have enough people now. Now we just have to decide on the campaign and when we all can play. Weekends are always good, I share a computer with seven other people till my lap top gets fixed so I really do need a set time, for now.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
Sweet It looks as if we have enough people now. Now we just have to decide on the campaign and when we all can play. Weekends are always good, I share a computer with seven other people till my lap top gets fixed so I really do need a set time, for now.

My schedule is rather hectic, I am free:

Sunday: 8:00-x:00
Monday: 4:30-x:00(but only three out of every four mondays, otherwise its 5:30)
Tuesday: 6:00-x:00(roughly, it depends how long philosophy club goes till, although I can always leave earlier)
Wednesday: 5:30-x:00
Thursday: 4:30-x:00
Friday: 4:30-x:00
Saturday: Can't at all

Note: this is my bare bones schedule, unless it specifically says something else on the days notation. This means I would like to know If we can make a semi-permanent schedule, so that I may be able to waste some of my last hours playing MW2

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
My schedule is rather hectic, I am free:

Sunday: 8:00-x:00
Monday: 4:30-x:00(but only three out of every four mondays, otherwise its 5:30)
Tuesday: 6:00-x:00(roughly, it depends how long philosophy club goes till, although I can always leave earlier)
Wednesday: 5:30-x:00
Thursday: 4:30-x:00
Friday: 4:30-x:00
Saturday: Can't at all

Note: this is my bare bones schedule, unless it specifically says something else on the days notation. This means I would like to know If we can make a semi-permanent schedule, so that I may be able to waste some of my last hours playing MW2

Usually my weekends are pretty free this is including Mondays and Fridays except in the mornings usually, sometimes my work likes to spring things on me at the last min, so nights or late afternoons are better for me.

Friday: 12:00 - whatever
Saturday: i wont make it any harder on you
Sunday:1:00 - to all night
Monday: I have all freakin day

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I could play half of sundays from about 5:00/6:00-X:00 if we could do the other sundays from 8:30-X:00, I have a rotational schedule which is why planning anything consistant is difficult. Mondays also appear to be a good time to get things done, although I would prefer fridays(because of mondays rotational qualities)

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
And your timezones are..?

Um.....oh ya..shoot um.. I live in the the Eastern Time Zone

[SIZE=-1]GMT - 5h during Standard Time[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]GMT - 4h during
Daylight Saving Time
[/SIZE]​

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
I'll tell you when I'm occupied: it's easier. All times in EST: that's what I'm working on.

Mon-Fri: 7.30-5.30 (12.30pm-10.30 pm)
Sat: Currently free, but soon I'll be occupied from about 6/7pm onwards, although I routinely stay up until 3/4 am (which I suppose is technically Sunday).
Sun: 12pm-7pm.

In general, I'm a night owl, so I don't mind staying up late once a week for a session, or even taking a nap right after work so we can play at night. I seem to have the freest schedule so far, so I'll try and work around you guys. Work isn't something I can slack off on though, and that's where the majority of my time goes. :p

On top of that, I'm visiting Ireland for Christmas, to see my dear parents and siblings. And while I'm delighted to be going back, the internet there.... gah... it's worse than useless. And my computer's sitting in a box in a Royal Mail post office. (Lousy slackers.) That, and I'll almost definitely be expected to give priority to quality time with my family. ;) So... up until the new year, or so, I'm kind of tied up, although I wouldn't be surprised if the holidays had other people in thrall too.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
I'll tell you when I'm occupied: it's easier. All times in

In general, I'm a night owl, so I don't mind staying up late once a week for a session, or even taking a nap right after work so we can play at night. I seem to have the freest schedule so far, so I'll try and work around you guys. Work isn't something I can slack off on though, and that's where the majority of my time goes. :p

I'm a night owl too, Its always funner playing at night.

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
Yeah, yet another night owl here. It's 6 hours later here though (GMT +1), I'm not up to playing at 5-6 AM... I don't think I'm going to fit in your schedules :/.

(I should probably look for some people to play IRL again. Hm.).

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Yeah... well, what's your schedule? :p We can't very well do anything with your timezone if we don't know what your schedule is.

Maybe it would be easier to meet up a couple times a week, for an hour or two each time, than to try and fit in one long session at once. We'd get less done (in each session), but it might be more accommodating.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
Crap, I forgot timezones, I'm Pacific standard or whatnot, like +/- 8 or something like that, and playing at night is totally fine with me

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I start winter break friday, but I still have wierd crap to.....oh, other than saturdays, I'm free almost all of the next two weeks....I feel like an idiot, i didn't realize it before

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
Yeah... well, what's your schedule? :p We can't very well do anything with your timezone if we don't know what your schedule is.

Maybe it would be easier to meet up a couple times a week, for an hour or two each time, than to try and fit in one long session at once. We'd get less done (in each session), but it might be more accommodating.

Meh, I didn't mean to sound whiny. I just realized it isn't going to work.

Weekdays - I can almost always make time somewhere between 7 pm - 2 am, that corresponds to 1 - 10 pm EST and 11 am - 8 pm PST - not exactly compatible.
Weekends - like weekdays or earlier (no fixed schedule), but that'd make it even more earlier where you are, so there's little point.

Around Christmas I'll probably have limited access to internet, too.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
Well whatever happens we should play on Ventrilo, My brothers use it for puzzle pirates but we could so use it for D&D. This way we can talk to each other instead of waiting for a text reply.

Here's something else for all who don't have an up to date rule book, I being one of them. I have my dads old players handbook, and Its copyright date is set to 1978, written by Gygax himself, LoLs, doesn't even say what edition it is.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Probably first: before 'editions' existed. Pretty cool! :evil:

gepcy loc

Local time
-->

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
^I was referring to his book, sorry. I had to check with Ventrilo was and didn't have time at work.

If it'll work on my Mac, that's a good idea. (I don't know if this computer has a microphone, and I'm not entirely sure how to use Linux in the first place anyway.) I need to get the Mac first, but I'll be in Ireland this holiday anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. ;) And, of course, if everyone has internet connections capable of managing that.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Well, we definitely have a respectable group of people willing to play, and the accessibility of the SRD (or homebrew) takes care of the edition decision...so now we're on to deciding a time/way to play, I guess?

There's two ways I see something like this happening:

1) We "meet" at a set period of time each week and play using Ventrilo, OpenRPG, or some such program. Good things about doing this: it's more like playing DnD, and would probably run smoothly...if we're able to find a time when we can all meet.

2) We do something similar to a "forum RPG", where we post on an "as-we-can" basis...problems include dropout, slow progression, and a less organic game; however, there's more room for descriptive writing/we don't have to organize a time to meet up.

What does everyone else think?

Also...dibs on playing the cleric :p.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
^I was referring to his book, sorry. I had to check with Ventrilo was and didn't have time at work.

If it'll work on my Mac, that's a good idea. (I don't know if this computer has a microphone, and I'm not entirely sure how to use Linux in the first place anyway.) I need to get the Mac first, but I'll be in Ireland this holiday anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. ;) And, of course, if everyone has internet connections capable of managing that.

I haven't used it either I just saw my brothers playing with it and thought it would be a good idea.
There's no need to apologise.....I meant what to the devil face....

@Jaico: sagewolf called DMing im fine with that now sagewolf needs to tell us the house rules and what the campaign is going to me like.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
...I offered, I didn't 'call'! T.T Well, I suppose since no-one's objected (yet) I'll go ahead and get a campaign set up. :D I'd like to see character choices (at least races, classes and vague backstories) first, though, so I can fit some of that stuff into the story. And remember, cleric is taken! (Cleric of whom?) Using the SRD sounds fine: I'll look through it and see if there's anything I specifically want to pull from 3.75. ...Like the shorter skill list, possibly. I'll post that up, once I'm home and have access to my own character sheet.

Go ahead and roll up your stats, too. (Roll 4d6 for each ability, re-roll any ones or twos for as long as they keep coming up, and take the sum of the highest three for your base ability score. It's not the standard, but it's how the DM of the group I'm in right now had us do it, and it's served pretty well so far.

...Except for that 9 Charisma I have. :( God, even in D&D I'm a social imbecile.)

I would really prefer for us all to meet up at a set time each week, just because it would be easier, but if we can't (and I suspect that's the case) then we need to figure out what to do if someone can't post for a while. Would someone else take over their character? Would I? Would the character just not be there? I get the feeling we'll come up to a lot of problems that we'll have to deal with as they come. :confused:

^...I dunno, I just like using that smilie. :evil: See? Can't help myself. ;)

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Alright! Time to get those rolls going...come on, RNG :D:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Alright - it seems like you're not able to make rolls in an edited post, so please forgive me for the string of posts that will inevitably follow...

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
-->
Ah, one more time, then.

[roll0]
[roll1]

...so I managed to delete my previous post, which had crazy good rolls (I thought I'd double-posted...) I'm going to just roll on myth-weavers (a pbp site with a wicked dice rolling code), and link over my rolls.

Here are my re-rolls - this should mean that I have an array of 18 14 15 16 16 15...wow. If you want me to drop the stats by a bit (in case the other people playing don't get as lucky as I did) I can do that, sagewolf.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
We'll see how they do, first. ;) Everyone else! Roll!

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
When I played you got your stats in the order you rolled them (so strength is the first set of 4d6 etc.) is that how we're doing it, or do you roll, and then pick and choose which stat rolls for which trait?

EDIT: I used little wood dice I stole from a boardgame, this is what I got ( /x/ denotes lowest one, and dropped from the roll):

[5,2,2,/2/] = 9
[5,5,4,/1/] = 14
[6,5,4,/3/] = 15
[6,6,5,/4/] = 17
[6,5,2,/2/] = 13
[4,4,3,/2/] = 11

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
...You forgot the 're-roll ones and twos' part. It will probably result in stronger characters than is normal, but that might be good too: I've never DMed before and don't want to accidentally kill you all. :o So...keep going! ;) And if you have a class you want... call it now! :p

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I was always an elf fighter, but only played two scenarios, and I only ever got to level 4

EDIT: after my re-roll of the 1's & 2's

[5,5,4,/3/] = 14
[5,5,4,/3/] = 14
[6,5,4,/3/] = 15
[6,6,5,/4/] = 17
[6,5,6,/3/] = 17
[6,4,4,/3/] = 14

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
[5,5,5/4]=15
[6,6,6/3]=18
[4,4,3/3]=11
[6,5,3/3]=14
[5,5,4/4]=14
[6,6,3,3]=15

I think i want to be a Kitsune Ninja/Illusionist, I need ninja stats though.

For some reason my last post never showed up so if this is double post, that's the reason why

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
Some rolls of mine:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
^ Either I'm doing something wrong or the "b3" at the end doesn't work after all... ;)

Some rerolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
... let's hope again (I wonder if I'd be able to delete the above?).

[roll0]

Aiss

int p;
Local time
-->
The above put together:

(4d6b3)[3][3][5][6](14)
(4d6b3)[3][3][6][6](15)
(4d6b3)[5][6][5][4](16)
(4d6b3)[3][6][6][3](15)
(4d6b3)[5][3][4][3](12)
(4d6b3)[3][5][6][5](16)

So, I'd appreciate if you'd decide how and when you're going to play. You know, rolling is fun, but I'd like to know if it's going to have a higher purpose... :tinykitball: <--- throwing 1d1.

gepcy loc

Local time
-->
I'm going to make my character sheet now. I'm only going to be a ninja.
:phear:

Top Bottom