• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Poor Bernard --- Last 24 Hours : READ THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
Today 9:01 PM
-->
OK, new thread for this:

Last night the site was suspended for over usage etc.

In all the following, you must imagine 3 - 5 hours between replies to tickets.

Site suspended. Request for unsuspension.

Reply 6 hours later that the site was suspended for running out of bandwidth.

Pointed out that a/ the page said suspended and the other ticket said suspended.

Couldn't enter CPanel

Site unsuspended.

My IP was blocked due to repeated access requests.

Request unblock.

Notice that Bernard is now dead anyway.

IP unblocked, Bernard recovers.

That's four doors locked...

OK, now the site is running, I doubt for very long since the bandwidth will go soon. Until renewed on the 1st October...

However since the CPanel is back, that means the move to UrlJet shall go ahead as asap. ASO have agreed to redirect their name-servers to the new hosts whilst an account is held with ASO. Prolly means latency issues...

Separately the hunt for the domain name continues so that the primary registrar's name-servers can be set to the new host.

NameAlerts urgently emailed changing their story that I had let the name expire, stating that I had requested an EPP transfer to Namecheap in March 2009. Which I had never done. Someone had hacked my email and stolen the name.

Later I can provide links as to other sites this has happened to.

We are talking with both registrars to find out who did this and how the domain can be restored. If anyone here knows anything and can offer to help transfer the thing back criminal charges will not be looked at.

IN THE MEANTIME. The site may go at any time until 1st October. During the move, which if possible we shall warn of here, the migration takes up to 6 hours, but the forum could be down for up to 24 to 48 hours in all due to the new address.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
After which the site ran out of bandwidth. Immediately posted a ticket, and it's taken four hours for them to reply.

Contrary to my previous position I bought another 6GB --- seeing that the 4GB bought on the 27th lasted until those four hours ago, and that was with the place down for most of a day.

Possibly the statement that we would be moving sent them into a catalepsy of sorrow.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
4GB in about a day? :eek:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Indeed.

It is of course possible that we are sustaining a prolonged ddos attack --- not connected to the one that took down ASO in July --- which could account for the alarming number of 'guests', 2000 in a day sometimes; for the usage problems leading to suspensions; and for the massive use of bandwidth, ASO has shown no interest or response to queries on this aspect --- although I would argue that having put in robots.txt and htaccess there's very little more the forum can do, and therefore the hosting provider should implement their examination and restrictions instead of just suspending the site every damn time.

With the guests, their showing in Who's Online is restricted to those with activity in the last 5 minutes, which cuts down on their clogging up the page.

It was really funny once this thread was placed into 'forced read' so that everyone can expect the delay of the move, to see all the spiders blocked on reading it, unable to go further. We appreciate spiders, but they send too many, especially Yahoo, and won't respect robots.txt. And why so many from the Korean Yeti Spider nest ?

Here is a site on better spiders, http://www.mechanicalspider.com/index.html ...

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Namecheap has not responded and maintains the privacy whois the thief set with them when he stole the site-name, so I have instructed NameAlerts to open a dispute with them to recover the domain. Emphasizing that I shall ask no questions if the person returns the domain unhurt. Apart from the odd way they agreed to the transfer merely on an email request, all my domains have a registry lock upon them forbidding transfer.

Still, it can get messy; here are the links promised:

http://www.davidairey.com/google-gmail-security-hijack/

http://preventdomaintheft.com/

http://techyshit.com/makeuseofcom-hacked-or-domain-expired/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/breaking-gmail-security-flaw-more-domains-get-stollen/

http://mckeeoffice.com/blog2/2009/08/05/can-someone-steal-my-domain-name/

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2007/12/gmail_hack_leads_to_domain_the.php

http://thetradersden.livejournal.com/

It seems to happen quite a bit.

-Z-

Local time
Today 10:01 PM
-->
About the large number of guests.
I have noticed that intpforum is favorited on stumbleupon and tagged "Internet".
Might that be the reason for so much traffic?

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
I don't know, but that's good to hear. We have absolutely nothing against lurkers or visitors looking at the place. Even spiders are good in moderation. But I think when you get 2500 guests in a single day, they are neither visitors nor spiders. In fact they may be...

And the people – ah, the people -
They that dwell up in the steeple,
All Alone
And who, tolling, tolling, tolling,
In that muffled monotone,
Feel a glory in so rolling
On the human heart a stone -
They are neither man nor woman -
They are neither brute nor human -
They are Ghouls:
And their king it is who tolls;
And he rolls, rolls, rolls,
Rolls
A paean from the bells !
And his merry bosom swells
With the paean of the bells !
And he dances, and he yells;
Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the paean of the bells.

...d d d ddos ghouls.

Claverhouse :phear:

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
Today 2:01 PM
-->
There's something incredibly ironic about the post above.

:( <---- This is me laughing.

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Well, let's be charitable and assume he wandered in from a bed salesmans' forum, or he's drunk, or he's a troll.

Or he's banned...

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 9:01 AM
-->
Poe :hearts:

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 10:01 PM
-->
I was about to delete that spam (the three posts) but for the sake of the continuitiy of the answers i'll let it in for the moment. Someone sould tell me (or other admins) when the posts shall be deleted..

Ogion

Claverhouse

Local time
-->
Thread closed and unstuck, since having moved hosts no longer valid.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Namecheap has not responded and maintains the privacy whois the thief set with them when he stole the site-name, so I have instructed NameAlerts to open a dispute with them to recover the domain. Emphasizing that I shall ask no questions if the person returns the domain unhurt. Apart from the odd way they agreed to the transfer merely on an email request, all my domains have a registry lock upon them forbidding transfer.

Having written to NameAlerts to ask how the dispute was going, they replied that I should have been contacted by ENOM Disputes, and was this not the case ?

I replied that in no way had ENOM contacted me.

I sincerely believe that American larger business and government is the least efficient in the western world. Either one gets no reply; a wrong reply; or a referral to a different body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom