• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Posting Restored

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
Today 7:12 AM
-->
OK. Dunno what happened, but I checked for malware, and so removed some js file, after which it came back clean. Still couldn't post though.

VBulletin / googling not much help, but have instituted a temporary jury-rigged fix by substituting standard controls for posting options instead of standard and WYSIWYG controls. So there's only basic posting without the additions for now. Although typed in BBCode may work.

Sorry about that.

However only a move to new software will cure what ails us.

EDIT. Cured, caused by our move to SSL. See post 21.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 1:12 AM
-->
I am glad you can see that new software is the only thing that can fix this.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I've seen that since vBull was first installed *. However it costs a bit.

* Lightspeed, the co-founder always thought it a poor software, but there weren't many decent forum structures back 10 years ago, and the selection hasn't got better.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
sorta pick your poison than.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:12 AM
-->
https://www.vbulletin.com/purchases/

Not sure which version(s) are more stable and so on, but are these prices accurate?

Decisions about what forum software might be best set aside for the moment, if this is the price for the main upgrade (and then there's just a small fee per year to maintain the ability to grab updates), I can donate money to this.

It looks like they will also do the hosting for you for a far less price.

(Again, I know nothing about the costs/particulars here except for the page, I haven't installed a plugin or version patch for about 5-6 years elsewhere...)

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Well, it's because few developers concentrate on forums, because they have been overtaken by social media --- which offers users far greater audiences, but less personal venues: rather like having a mass stage to sing from instead of singing in a room to friends --- and the big boys practically own the market, just as WordPress and Joomla practically own the blog software business; so a developer can't see an opening particularly for the free of cost software model.

Buying the Xenforo suite will only be part of the cost; by now it's so long since I installed stuff, someone would need to be paid to convert this place. A lot of things can go wrong.

Then again, left to itself, a lot of things go wrong with vBulletin anyway.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yeah, I know the model has been shifting -- you even see websites like FiveThirtyEight and others using the Wordpress infrastructure as their "site" nowadays, just cleverly masked, from what I can tell -- and social media keeps changing. I think this is why forum participation everywhere has dropped regardless (not just here); it's all shifting to other platforms and stuff that is more mobile friendly.

Just saying... I am not sure what cost we're looking at or if vBull can host/convert the site for a basic fee like I had edited into my post above.

Mostly we still have a decade of posting here and thoughts from folks that would nice to preserve, rather than losing it all like what happened to INTPCentral. so that's always a concern.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
https://www.vbulletin.com/purchases/

Not sure which version(s) are more stable and so on, but are these prices accurate?

Decisions about what forum software might be best set aside for the moment, if this is the price for the main upgrade (and then there's just a small fee per year to maintain the ability to grab updates), I can donate money to this.

It looks like they will also do the hosting for you for a far less price.

(Again, I know nothing about the costs/particulars here except for the page, I haven't installed a plugin or version patch for about 5-6 years elsewhere...)

After 3, vBull went downhill with 4 and 5 ( plus they went to a yearly subscription model instead of it being yours ) which is why so many sites still stick to 3.8.x.
I would never go with vBull again, just as I would never go with ( free of cost as it is ) WordPress which needs monthly updates...

UrlJet, our hosts charge about $350 every two years, but are not only the best, but include hourly rollback back-ups.

Xenforo seems the safest software ( made by deserters from vBulletin ). Anyway, thanks for the offer and if donations are sought I'll be futurely grateful...

My main concern for any site is stopping it turning into one of the infamous Fat Slab Style sites which have ruined the internet > Swiss Style, Metro, Modern, Material Design, whatever...

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
If INTPf sticks around, I will stick around as well.

I highly prefer a forum layout to other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. Functionally, forums are far superior. What I mean is that if I want to search for a thread and can't quite remember what it is called, I can do a search to find it. With FB and Twitter, gook luck finding any specific content you want.

Not like any of what I am saying here really matters to the topic too much, but it would be sad if INTPf disappeared.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Mostly we still have a decade of posting here and thoughts from folks that would nice to preserve, rather than losing it all like what happened to INTPCentral. so that's always a concern.

Geez, Central died !

Honestly didn't know, since when I left ( as Claverhouse ) --- plenty of Sturm und Drang all round --- I never went back. But reconciliation of a sort happened when I was offered to be chief there by Mark who was very busy at the time, but it would have been wrong to admin two competing forums. I feel strongly about all those capitalists who own all the brands without saying ( for instance, most washing machines in Britain come from a few makers * despite an apparent choice ).

I regret this, we are their children.

* The Electrolux group own well over 50 brand names (though not all of them washing machines) Among the more well known ones are AEG, Tricity Bendix, Zanussi.

The Candy group own Hoover, Zerowatt and Kelvinator among others.

The Indesit Company own Ariston, Indesit, New World, Philco, Hotpoint, Creda, Cannon, GDA, English Electric,Thorn along with many more.

http://hubys.co.uk/news-information/2/who-really-makes-your-washing-machine

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Geez, Central died !

Honestly didn't know, since when I left ( as Claverhouse ) --- plenty of Sturm und Drang all round --- I never went back. But reconciliation of a sort happened when I was offered to be chief there by Mark who was very busy at the time, but it would have been wrong to admin two competing forums. I feel strongly about all those capitalists who own all the brands without saying ( for instance, most washing machines in Britain come from a few makers * despite an apparent choice ).

I regret this, we are their children.

Yeah, basically I think he just got tired of keeping up with it and/or didn't have time to do it -- so the same thing happened. It slowly got infected by stuff and overrun by spammers, etc. The members complained but nothing changed for some months and it got harder and harder to post, and membership/registrations dropped.

Eventually one of the members who was tech savvy (Ptah) created his own forum and pretty much the entire membership bailed as a group and went there. That's INTPComplex. So if you go there, you'll see all the INTPCentral members.

So then Haight pretty much just dropped the site since it had been abandoned and was just a ghost ship.

I wasn't sure if I knew both you and Claverhouse were the same, although I guess I should have put it together.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Well, the reason an upgrade is being discussed is due to everything breaking and the security/malware issues that have been occurring, not really to change any of the format.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 4:12 PM
-->
My main concern for any site is stopping it turning into one of the infamous Fat Slab Style sites which have ruined the internet > Swiss Style, Metro, Modern, Material Design, whatever...

ALL PRAISE RAGNAR DEFEATER OF POOR DESIGN!

(That said I have a guilty pleasure in Metro done well)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Oh and ads. I fucking hate them. My facebook feed is filled to the brim with ads because I don't have many friends on facebook because I am not adding every person I run into when I get a mochfrapdoubleshotespressowithextracream. ->Spell check didn't correct this which is amazing.

Ptah

Deity
Local time
-->
FWIW, the forum I run has been on vBulletin 4.x since its inception in 2013, and it has been essentially smooth sailing software-wise. No real problems finding off-the-shelf modifications, no real issue making adjustments by hand (as loathe as I am to deal with PHP).

vB5, however, is a train wreck.

I hear good things about Xenforo, but at the time, I went with vB4 mainly to make a smooth transition for members jumping over from the old 'Central.

If it amuses anyone, lately I've been having more trouble with my web hosts than the software itself, ha.

Seems INTP forums are under a curse lately.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
*holds onto INTPf tightly* don’t go

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
FWIW, the forum I run has been on vBulletin 4.x since its inception in 2013, and it has been essentially smooth sailing software-wise. No real problems finding off-the-shelf modifications, no real issue making adjustments by hand (as loathe as I am to deal with PHP).

vB5, however, is a train wreck.

I hear good things about Xenforo, but at the time, I went with vB4 mainly to make a smooth transition for members jumping over from the old 'Central.

Nice place.

Maybe mutual links at some point after this place gets renovated ? ( Although, want to keep this Dark Castle style readapted by someone as the main style. Tradition is All. )

Our other styles aren't that great.

If it amuses anyone, lately I've been having more trouble with my web hosts than the software itself, ha.

I'll always recommend URLJet simply because nothing really ever happens, and then only rarely and easily sorted when it does. Did I mention free rollbacks for when the place is hit ?

Sadly, having no business abilities I can't even understand their affiliate page when I looked up referrals.

http://www.urljet.com/affiliate.php

Their ticket response is phenomenal.

On the other hand having resulted from a split, I've never felt new splits are unwelcome, and if people want to start more intp fora, more power to them.

Seems INTP forums are under a curse lately.

T'was ever thus.

Try—try—try—try—to think o' something different—
Oh—my—God—keep—me from goin' lunatic !
( Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin' up an' down again ! )
There's no discharge in the war !

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
And... I contacted URLJet to see what they would charge for the conversion to Xenforo. Have to give them my admin link temporarily, then they quote. Prolly a lot, excluding the Xenforo costs and add-ons.

I natch prefer open-source, but the paid forum software is smoother looking than the free stuff. No point in being an ideologue.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
NORMAL WYSIWYG IS BACK

OK, after tedious research I came across a clue why the full posting stopped.

Tedious because most enquiries in google

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=T...YAhWCEVAKHWkTBOsQrQIIMigDMAA&biw=1280&bih=861

end with vBulletin staff saying it must be something in the stars, but not vBulletin, no siree; and suggesting a complete upload of all the very old files --- overwriting additions...

But this excellent thread from last year showed it was probably to do with our recent move to SSL.

So I switched the remote YUI to Google ( does anyone still use Yahoo! ? Even Yahoo! ? ); emptied the caches; rebuilt the Styles, and it is working as it was --- for now. Many thanks to the brilliant Mr. Walker [ who will never know ].

Top Bottom