• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Prototype Pedestrian Mobility Unit

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 5:09 AM
-->
It looks like you would start getting back pain after riding it for a while

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 10:09 PM
-->
It does look kind of cool, I just wonder how the more clumsy of us would stay on one of those units. I can imagine a lot of face-plants.

On a side-not-very-polite-note, I have this horrible image in my head now of one of my old school teachers who used to scoot himself around in this rolly-chair. All we could see in class was this large stomach rolling towards us. Now, I am imagining him on one of those things... scary.

Artifice Orisit

*studies the video intensely*

The spherical "wheel" is driven by a smaller wheel pressed atop it which can be rotated by its Y axis (the horizontal axis) thus enabling the entire device to work via the use of only two motors, one that supplies power to the drive-wheel (the one atop the spherical main-wheel) and the second which rotates this drive-wheel's direction, thereby redirecting the first motor's energy, like how a tank's turret redirects it's direction of fire.

An elegant design, almost idiot proof, I could probably build one for a few grand.

It would be interesting to own one. I wonder how it would do in more harsh environmental testing though.
Hypothetically one could easily upscale the design, however performing the many small adjustments required to keep the device balanced when it's not moving would put great strain on the motor. But if I had the capital to cannibalize a motorcycle, order custom parts and there was a test driver/pilot insane/suicidal enough to ride it, I could build the world's first omnidirectional monocycle.

It does look kind of cool, I just wonder how the more clumsy of us would stay on one of those units. I can imagine a lot of face-plants.
If the centre of gravity was high enough, that would be practically impossible, it's not unlike how you can balance a broom on one hand quite easily, the high centre of gravity retards the tilt rate. Now with the upscale motorbike engine using design, the driver would be safest at about 12ft, however a 6ft design wouldn't be impossible, the motor would just wear out very quickly.

*continues mumbling to himself about how some manner of flywheel and gearbox would be nessecary to reduce engine wear and increase overall reliablitity*

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 12:09 AM
-->
It looks about as comfortable as this thing

1413506458_2228ff1271.jpg

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I would take the original idea, but add a proper seat and use it as an office chair

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->

The Pentagon will always take any idea very seriously and without prejudice provided it is guaranteed to cost lots of money. I mean... really lots of money, massive amounts of money, more money than you can count in a month.

Feasibility is not a requirement; but you were lacking in imagination: go back to the drawing board and make it run on boiling liquid gold.

Claverhouse :phear:

Artifice Orisit

The Pentagon will always take any idea very seriously and without prejudice provided it is guaranteed to cost lots of money. I mean... really lots of money, massive amounts of money, more money than you can count in a month.
Great, do you have their number?
Better idea, "I've discovered oil, and now I want to terrorize Americans",
now they'll come to me :D

you were lacking in imagination
I'm going to give you a chance to take that back.

Unless you want to have a Mad Science Duel :borg:

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
A Man Of Distinction

Financial imagination.

One of the premier rules of the higher finance is that you can get turned down for asking too little; but you can never ask for too much.

Claverhouse :phear:

The Fury

is licking himself.
Local time
-->
*studies the video intensely*

But if I had the capital to cannibalize a motorcycle, order custom parts and there was a test driver/pilot insane/suicidal enough to ride it, I could build the world's first omnidirectional monocycle.

Count me in!

A day is never complete unless you do something so rash and impulsive that it might get you killed.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 9:09 PM
-->
Back in my day we used Segways to get around! Hurmph!

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 6:09 AM
-->
I've always wanted to have some sort of motorized transportation unit. I always love movies where traffic is completely clogged, and someone creative has a unit small enough to maneuver among the traffic. Just one of several benefits that are possible with smaller transportation!

Top Bottom