• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Rate What the Person Above You is Listening To

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
Yes. I read it. 10/10 on whatever you are listening to. I am listening to my dog's bark.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
BAP: you didn't do what the topic title tells you to in either of your 2 latest posts

EDIT

Hawkeye: very interesting, i'll give it a 7/10. i'd like to give it an 8 but might regret that when the novelty fades. his usage of the guitar is very tasteful, and it's all perfectly paced as well as lush sounding. i wonder how he gets such an attack without using his right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4ILnKIaY0

"alright..." @ 1:04 :OOOOO

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
hurr-di-doo, right? but what if oop-to-dahh?

* some
* more
* inane
* quasi-philosophical
* questions

[youtube]some bad music[/youtube]

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 6:47 AM
-->
which is this false dichotomy? am i gonna take "chill out" from someone who 1. started the allegedly pointless discussion by 2. calling me a fucking cunt? no.

how nice of you to admit that. your entire history of opinions disagrees but how nice of you.

marc bolan invented a new style of melody on practically every song of his first four albums. cohen on the other hand pretty much goes from the fifth to the sixth and back, all the time. he's also unable to hit the notes and this diffusion adds no value to his output. it may be an artistic choice, but a poor one at that. furthermore, bolan's singing is intrinsically more dynamic just considering the tonality and timbre, and lyrically he pays attention to the effect of pronounciation and implied prosody rather than exclusively relying on whatever static quality he also has, like cohen does. i'd also argue that this static quality in itself is more interesting and world-relevant in bolan's case but that's kinda beside the point. don't go all nihilism-relativism-skepticism on me. you wouldn't appreciate that yourself.

why did you initiate the discussion then?

that's blatantly incongruent with what you previously said and implied in this discussion and about art you dislike in general. don't pretend otherwise.

yes I started out by writing cunt in the least serious of manners with which you are quite familiar, I find it uncharacteristically dishonest to bring that up though as if though it were some form of intended insult from my side

the dichotomy is that I could as well dig justin because I dig cohen without refuting your pseudo-argument proposing that he sucks

this formal analysis is no different, I could write about why I disagree but whats the bloody point? I like Cohen because so and so... you have omitted his lyrical skill.. etc etc but why? It's just boring and does little to sow any mutual understanding anyway

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
yes I started out by writing cunt in the least serious of manners with which you are quite familiar

the dichotomy is that I could as well dig justin because I dig cohen without refuting your pseudo-argument proposing that he sucks

this formal analysis is no different, I could write about why I disagree but whats the bloody point? I like Cohen because so and so... you have omitted his lyrical skill.. etc etc but why? It's just boring and does little to sow any mutual understanding anyway

and i need to "chill out" because my response is substantial?

i fail to see how that's a dichotomy. please elaborate. also i said 5/10. he's very overrated as a musician but he doesn't suck. i haven't questioned the merit of his lyrics at all, for example. which in no way means i've "omitted" it. i said he should write books/poems. that's appreciative with respect to his lyrics.........

yeah, you're not willing to understand my argument. i've spent quite some time trying to understand cohen's style but concluded that he's just not all that. please do tell why you disagree. again, you started this discussion.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
yeah, i've tried to support my claims instead of just joking around. what a terrible loss.

if you don't find this entertaining, you don't have to participate anymore. can't blame me tho.

kenshi

El Conquistador
Local time
Today 1:47 AM
-->
Re: How rate rating?

Tell me how to rate what the person above me is listening to? Tell me if they are using threaded or linear mode? How do I tell which is above me if I don't know?

Tell me how to make a linear rating, say 7/10, when there are factors such as:

1. simple tune
2. complex tune
3. song in its own right with perfect integrity
4. song evoking associations of memory
5. song evoking associations of current fashion
6. song compared to similar song, non-original but embellished
7. tune from earlier generation
7b. tune I love you hate
7c. tune I hate you love
8. use my standard even if it is higher/lower than yours
9. "Happy Birthday" <-- how is that tune rated when it could be the most popular tune in the western world? 0/10 for unoriginality and dullness or 10/10 for popular choice or 10/10 for having an emotional story line that makes it a popular choice?

Really? "Rate what the person above you is listening to." If that's too complicated for you, why even post?

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Yesterday 11:47 PM
-->
Re: How rate rating?

Really? "Rate what the person above you is listening to." If that's too complicated for you, why even post?

Yeah, I kinda sorta remember trying to explain this to him awhile back. Didn't work.

Anyway, where were we?

Disco Queen...4/10 Would have been a 6 if it was 5 minutes shorter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPANpBsNJas

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Yesterday 11:47 PM
-->
Or, you know...alternately...

If listening to Bronto: 1.5 / 10

If listening to Cherry: hmmm... 1.5 / 10

meh :)

deadpixel

Local time
-->

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Today 3:47 AM
-->
That wasn't bad, but the uploader is oddly obsessive. They have at least two accounts dedicated to hundreds of videos of female guitarists and drummers who are all "best" and "hottest". :storks:

deadpixel

Local time
-->

deadpixel

Local time
-->

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:47 PM
-->

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

wilsonwatsonc

Female INTP
Local time
-->
7.5/10

...kind of catchy, but otherwise it's just not what I normally listen to

I really like Pink Floyd's later stuff as well, though I seem to be a minority in that opinion. Of course it's not as good as Dark Side of the Moon, the Wall...etc but I like David Gilmour's writing, and he had a heavy influence on the later albums. Ah well.

I agree on Smashing Pumpkins.

Okay, everyone has to love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgTSfJEf_jM&feature=kp

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Good cover. Not something I want to objectify, but I'll just say 8/10. I actually prefer the Bob Dylan version. Bleh, except the only video I could find of it won't embed/link properly.

Have this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB6n24ASc7w

StevenM

beep
Local time
-->
If I was younger in my teens, I would dig the song. I'm slowly getting my way out of the heavy rock, and looking for something very different and original, and flows with my more positive and calm mood.

However, during days like these, this song strikes a chord in my soul.

Dreams of Reason

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

DaviPop

shinyhappyperson
Local time
-->

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I was never into technical stuff, as always it seems to me that it lacks authenticity. I can't get why everyone there sounds so similar to each other and don't look for distinctiveness and detach themselves from genres.
Anyway, i liked the melody at parts, i give it 5/10.
What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teIby3qzx-M

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
reminds me a lot of soundgarden. there's something similar about the modality of certain melodic passages, and the way these are framed in the composition. i prefer this though. not something i'd listen to spontaneously but not far from it either. enjoyable. strong 6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8MYxuMxaRg

Top Bottom