• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

reasons?

612nova

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:56 AM
-->
i always wondered what was life , its purpose , does it have one, does it have laws we should abade by? i guess my real question is why do we act the way we do? if life doesnt have a heaven or hell , whats stopping us. if energy doesnt go away, what were we before ? what will we be after. whats the point to it all. how do we get our sense of feeling and rational? im not completly sure if it makes sense but if you can understand i would like to learn.

The Void

Banned
Local time
-->
The most appropriate answer of why? is Why not?
It may look like a joke, but this the most serious answer you can ever get.

Any other answer for why, is incomplete and another question can rise from the given answer.

For example, this video THD shared:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
i always wondered what was life , its purpose , does it have one, does it have laws we should abade by?

No to all of the above, except for natural laws of course.

i guess my real question is why do we act the way we do?

You are fortunate enough to be able to ask that question, most of our human ancestors were not, yet we are no different, only our circumstances are. Your question was rather broad and as such I think this will help you answer it broadly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_psychology

Or if you want the really simple version; we act the way we do, because we are genetically programmed to do so through millions of years of natural selection. In other words, everything we do can be traced back to survival and reproduction.

I personally dislike that answer because it's over simplistic, but superficially it's true.

if life doesnt have a heaven or hell , whats stopping us.

Nothing except your own biology and natural laws.

if energy doesnt go away, what were we before ? what will we be after.

The energy I think you are talking about does not sustain human life on its own, therefore before we were, we were not, and afterwards, we will not be.

If still not convinced, think about the brain and how sight, vision, language, memories and everything else we sense are a direct cause of our brain's functioning. Smash that brain to pieces and it wont work, let alone work before it existed.

Look up brain damage for partial examples. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_damage

whats the point to it all. how do we get our sense of feeling and rational? im not completly sure if it makes sense but if you can understand i would like to learn.

Humans have been asking those questions for millennia, so you're not alone - here is a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

If you have anymore specific questions, I'm sure people would be happy to entertain those too.

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
Today 3:56 AM
-->
i always wondered what was life , its purpose , does it have one, does it have laws we should abade by? i guess my real question is why do we act the way we do? if life doesnt have a heaven or hell , whats stopping us. if energy doesnt go away, what were we before ? what will we be after. whats the point to it all. how do we get our sense of feeling and rational? im not completly sure if it makes sense but if you can understand i would like to learn.

The purpose of life can not be defined very specifically. It is a very broad field because the analysis of trying to find this answer includes topics in the context of self motivations, interests, disinterests, and preferences in general. This topic is very subjective itself, which is why so many people who try to find the meaning of life outside of themselves struggle so much and fall into a pit of doubt--which eventually does force them to look into themselves, unless they decide to just end it all because they thought that the external world is all that there is.

The laws we should abide by can be found in one's own conscience--or if one lacks conscience or thinks their conscience is just something that happened because of they way they grew up and learned about the world, making them not trust their gut. If the latter is the case, then morality can be found in logic--using utalitarian, kantarian, egoistic etc. sorts of justifications can help sort out what makes sense to abide by. This is the formation of one's inner principles taking hold contrary to just "knowing" what is right and wrong--which leads to confusion about social norms since everyone for the most part is on a different level on what they think is right and wrong.

It has been hypothesized that humans naturally have a love instinct for other humans because of how evolution played out--where the offspring where given plenty of time to develop trust in their parents protecting them rather than how some animals are born in the wild and are left to chance to live or die right away. This instinctual love becomes alienated by the constructs of society today where we must adapt to become sole survivors in a world where we have to fend for ourselves and justify our actions which go against what this instinctual love wants us to do. This is referred to as the human condition. This is what is really holding us back, this instinctual desire to connect with everyone. This combined with empathy can cause us to feel like we have to do certain things and that others are supposed to do certain things. But, in reality, the people who are going against the grain are the one's who have a more advanced intellectual drive because it is defeating the inner animal's impulse to be nice to everyone.

But, sometimes the animal can fight back and the intellectual can lose control over the inner animal's rage because it has been caged for so long. This is why mental yoga if very useful for the intellectual--it is a way of filtering the crazy emotions of the animal into a pleasantly experienced energy that drives the desires of which the intellectual mind obeys. This is good because intellect itself does not have a purpose--it is just something that controls the data coming from your experiences, both from external and internal stimuli.

The most difficult emotion to concur is overwhelming anxiety which can eventually lead to mentally giving up and going into depression--it can also happen if one is 100% intellectual minded.

In the film "The Matrix," Neo is actually defeating his intuitive mind. At the end, he continues to fight his fear/paranoia--represented by the men in black suits. Neo defeats fear at the end with choice, which is also the problem of the existential nihilist--another battle on its own. There are several stages into the transition of full understanding.

Hope that answers a majority of your questions, or at least gets you thinking more in the direction you wish to head.

Local time
-->
Goals: Sex, drugs, money, & rock n roll. Troof.

Why? Reciprocal determinism, which is a(n unrecognized as of yet) universal law that extends beyond mere psychology.

What? Everything, on a long enough time scale (because time doesn't actually exist as time, but that's its own can of worms and I'm tired :p).

Sense of feeling and rationality? The same universal reciprocal deterministic at a smaller scale. Clockwork's got the meat and potatoes of the fledgling components of this here, imho.

I understand, but I can't really transfer that to you. I could try, but what fun would that be?

My path was Anarcho-communist theory -> Herman Daly & Steady State Economics -> E.O. Wilson & Biophilia -> Nihilism/Existentialism -> Howard Odum & Systems Theory -> unhealthy obsession with complex adaptive systems -> Absurdism -> Discordianism -> Aleister Crowley -> Gilles Deleuze -> Theistic Satanism -> Chaos Magick -> wherever the hell I am now. :angel: What'll yours be?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 2:56 AM
-->
I sum this up as easily as I can. Why do you brush your teeth? Why do you eat good tasting foods? Why do you sleep at night? Same answers apply to these as they to your question(s).

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
"The Good" is your deepest purpose. It is the common denominator on all dimensions. Intelligence, beauty, and confidence are some examples of dimensions this stands true on. The goal is to promote these positive aspects of the things around you to your heart's content so that you feel "The Good" building inside you, perpetuating your motivations and causing you to want to continue striving for more.

-Think Good
-Act Good
-Look Good

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
When you lose sight of formerly held purposes, you must replace it with a drive. Instead of working towards something, your drive energizes you so much that you will want to work on something.

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
Drives:

Fear
Rage
Jealousy
Hunger
Sexual desire
Revenge
Greed
Pride
Love and friendship
Curiosity

Otherwise the alternative is pure drudgery in the grips of self-righteousness which becomes your base once you've reached a certain level of confidence perpetuated further by increased knowledge. At this point, you may wish to artificially manifest one of the top drives until it becomes second nature once again.

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
Notice that the only sin that causes suffering is, at the core, pride.

But pride itself when mixed with the other dimensions of the psyche create a certain type of alienation that can form into manic-depressive versions of romance, love, humor, and the whole spectrum of emotions, and sensations.

Also, some of this may not apply to you since we all have the chance of having differences in our mental structures.

RadicalDreamer31

Local time
-->
We will assume you have certain understandings; you behave the way you do because evolution., evolution behaves that way it does because of "the laws of the universe".

You are a biological thing. Your "purpose" is the perpetuation and propagation of your own / kins existence. This is not how you experience life, but this is what life is. Thus concludes...

...wait, wait. Hold on...

But you FEEL like there is more to it. AND HERE INLAYS THE PROBLEM OF LIFE, that we privileged few face. Again we are designed through evolution to perpetuate and propagate, THIS is what we do; survive. When this is done, or we aren't actively doing this we SEEK meaning in the experience, but there is none.

So you get religion, you get philosophy, you get fantasy, and art, and assholes on forum-boards regurgitating to each other tired topics.

You ask me, for the one thing that we all need so desperately, yet none of us have. A raison d'etre. However, aside form delusion, I doubt you'll ever find one. Your quest and you questions are misguided.

Consider the following: This is a transitional phase going from life determining what you are, to you determining what life is.

Now ask your questions. You'll find the answers more palatable.

Local time
-->
Consider the following: This is a transitional phase going from life determining what you are, to you determining what life is.
C'mere, you lovable lurking fool! :hearts:

Top Bottom