• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

recluse style living / hermits

majohnso

Local time
Today 11:47 AM
-->
hi all,

random question, have others toyed with the idea or live like an intentional recluse?

as i have been exploring and accepting some of my behaviours under the INTP banner, its a theme that has come up.

now i know its healthy to be social and to be engaging with the world etc, but i do find that i struggle with emotional conflict, and a lot of conflict, and prefer my own company (although i am married - no kids ).

as an aside to that, i have been reading about people who have engaged with #vanlife, and that type of thniking, and leaving societies conditioning behind really speaks to me also

anyway, bit of a ramble, hope it connects with some

appreciate thoughts

thanks

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I find the idea very attractive, and always have. Although not for the sake of simply being alone, but rather for the sake of engaging in projects that require prolonged and dedicated focus. I might do just that in the near future. Escaping societal conditioning is definitely a big plus as well.

majohnso

Local time
-->
I find the idea very attractive, and always have. Although not for the sake of simply being alone, but rather for the sake of engaging in projects that require prolonged and dedicated focus. I might do just that in the near future. Escaping societal conditioning is definitely a big plus as well.

I am similar, its part of the appeal of creating nore space

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
Thinking of it, at first you'd say "yes", but what about the psychological consequences of extreme isolation?

Madness, perhaps?

I'd say I'd like to experience that, but also be able to comunicate with others anytime I wish to (of course it wouldn't be that often, but if you aren't able to do that, then what's the differnce between that and a max-sec prison?).

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 8:47 PM
-->
Does this include no internet? Because that'd actually be an interesting quest.

Personally, I grew up moving so much that I, in a way, already live in this cultural niche, a reclusive mentally so to speak. I think the major of the users on this forum is like this to some degree.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
Does this include no internet? Because that'd actually be an interesting quest.

Personally, I grew up moving so much that I, in a way, already live in this cultural niche, a reclusive mentally so to speak. I think the major of the users on this forum is like this to some degree.

When I moved to my current apartment (about three years ago) I spend the first two years without any internet connection, I barely survived doing the college stuff on a library (in which I spent like 10 hours a week).

I know it's off-topic, but there weren't neither TV or radio signals (except for the local broadcast, but it's mostly government oriented). Now at least we have satellite TV.

Local time
-->
I keep relationships with family and one or two people outside my family, but I'm quite happy that way... not having friends. In a way, I'm afraid to make friends because when they want more than I want to give, it stresses me the hell out. I don't want drama. I feel like I can go and do certain things and get my socializing needs met that way.

sometimes I think I may be wrong or weird and then I decide that it's just the way I want it and I am who I am.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 12:47 PM
-->
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/mar/15/stranger-in-the-woods-christopher-knight-hermit-maine

It's like polyamory, if you're using it to escape problems it will only get worse

I've been fairly isolated for the last 5 years or so, it messes with your ability to interact with other people. It also messes with your perspective of people, they become something distant, a group with less individuality. The empathy towards them is reduced.

If you struggle with emotional conflict the answer is not to avoid it forever

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
I've been fairly isolated for the last 5 years or so, it messes with your ability to interact with other people.
If I may ask - whats mean this fairly isolated?
I isolated myself in this ways:
- alone in my room lying in bed ~3 years + very limited contact with closest family (food) and no-one else
-2 years of occasional extendent family contact + making errands (shopping/bureaucracy/healthcare etc)+ telephone/intenet again usage with avoidance to any form of ritualized events (monthly/annually- like Chrismas).
I'm here.
There are still days when I'm in my total human avoidance mode. I think this fucks up my ability to relate to people so severely that I don't really believe I can make it back.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
If I may ask - whats mean this fairly isolated?
I isolated myself in this ways:
- alone in my room lying in bed ~3 years + very limited contact with closest family (food) and no-one else
-2 years of occasional extendent family contact + making errands (shopping/bureaucracy/healthcare etc)+ telephone/intenet again usage with avoidance to any form of ritualized events (monthly/annually- like Chrismas).
I'm here.
There are still days when I'm in my total human avoidance mode. I think this fucks up my ability to relate to people so severely that I don't really believe I can make it back.

Is this a competition, because I have no competitive spirit at all, you win ):

I live with a room mate. He is the only social contact I have apart from my mother who I visited every few months. I recently moved closer to her, so I see her like once a month now.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
:king-twitter:
I just wanna know where on scale you are smth like "where are you on the global fat scale?"

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
:king-twitter:
I just wanna know where on scale you are smth like "where are you on the global fat scale?"

Oh. Well, I'm not the extreme hermit scale xxx

But I could understand that level of hermitism

Also, ur face is fat )---:

Top Bottom