• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Redbaron's VTTRPG

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 2:30 PM
-->
Okay so with Cog's RPG on hiatus at least until the end of this month, I was hoping to get a start on my own.

Template will be Pathfinder.
I'll be using roll20 the same as the other at this stage. But I'm playing with other programs to see what fits best.

If you're interested, post a rundown of your intended character here in the thread. Example.

Fighter
Felix Jaeger
Human

VZ3BZix.jpg

:cat:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:30 AM
-->
Is this a forum game or something else?
You need to provide more detail in the OP for this thread.

*pokes RB voodoo doll with a long rusty pin*

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Nooo not the rusty pins! =(

I edited in some more information. I did intend to put it there initially :cat:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Like this?

Empress
Jadis the Great and Terrible
Goddess

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:30 PM
-->
Monk of the Empty Hand
Dom
Human

display_image.php

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 5:30 AM
-->
I'd consider it -- what kind of involvement are you expecting & how frequent though? I'm moving soon so might not be possible anyway.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:30 AM
-->
I might be interested. But I have never played this stuff and if there must be talkin or camming I don't think I'm interested. Too social 4 me.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:30 PM
-->
Kitsune, Sorcerer (Vampiric Bloodline)
Alignment: Neutral
Motivation: Carpe Diem

A male kitsune that has decided to go travelling and see the world since he believes he is ageing at an accelerated rate, grey foxes have auburn in their fur but his has faded to a full grey coat and the occasional silver hair is appearing, this is a source of great anxiety for the vain & relatively young creature, in human form the grey hair persists.

In terms of morality he's conflicted, on one hand he doesn't have much to lose and is desperate to experience all life has to offer which can lead him to selfish behaviours, particularly deception and thievery with a potential for far worse. On the other hand his impending demise inspires noble sentiments as well, he would like to make a difference in people's lives, he's charitable (an odd trait for a thief) and isn't above risking his life for others particularly those he values as friends.

Cantrips Level 1: Read Magic, Daze, Haunted Fey Aspect, Prestidigitation
1st Spells Level 1: Charm Person, Sleep

Ability Scores
STR 7 (-2) -2 Race
DEX 15 (+2) +2 Race
CON 7 (-2)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 17 (+3) +2 Race

Those race bonuses are a bit OP but I've only got 6HP, 70GP, no damage dealing or AC increasing spells and the low STR/CON fits the "sickly tourist" backstory, I won't even start with a weapon befitting the fact that he has no combat training, he's a civilian, a magical busker (can I make money with prestidigitation?) a card shark and a womaniser, whatever gets him a hot meal and a bed for the night as he travels the world doing touristy stuff.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
@Cog

You can't use it to make money until higher levels. Low level prestidigitation makes shoddy looking items. It's not until around level 17 (iirc) that you can actually use it to create gold.

Also, are you including the racial bonuses in the first column? If not, you're going to have a grand total of 5 strength. You'll have trouble even carrying a staff and basic items as a sorcerer. Still if that's what you want, feel free.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How many points for ability scores?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Level 1 Start
25 points (epic fantasy)
2 traits that you meet prerequisites for. May take a 3rd trait if you choose one drawback to go along with it.
Starting gold will be the average for the class +50% bonus. It works out to being roughly 85% of your maximum possible.

There's a table here.

Example of average +50%

Fighter average gold 175g.
175/2 = 87.5
175 + 87.5 = 262.5
Round up to nearest 5, fighters start with 265 gold.

Source equipment from any of the categories here.

If you have queries, feel free to ask me for advice and I can help you get set up.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Very generous, I'll send you my dungeon tiles and I'll make some more too.

You can't use it to make money until higher levels. Low level prestidigitation makes shoddy looking items. It's not until around level 17 (iirc) that you can actually use it to create gold.
Actually I was thinking about performance magic, doing a magic act for children like in the beginning of LotR when Gandalf one-ups smoke rings with a smoke sail-ship. For a few coppers I could use the spell to clean dirt off a gentleman's coat, change a child's hair/eye colour, perform the illusionary equivalent of a puppet-show, I suppose it would depend on the perform skill wouldn't it? Prestidigitation would provide a situational bonus to any perform checks, I figure.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Updated Ability Scores
STR 7 (-2) -2 Race
DEX 15 (+2) +2 Race
CON 7 (-2)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 15 (+2)
CHA 17 (+3) +2 Race

And can these two traits be used together?
Unabashed Gall & Nonchalant Thuggery

E.g. If I cast a charm person spell on a guard and another guard spots this do I choose which trait use, or can I bluff to stun him with my audacity and the nonchalant thuggery bonus gets added to my bluff attempt?

Edit: Nevermind, dumb idea.
With the +5 modifier on my charisma I could abuse this endlessly and even if I rolled a 1 I'd still have a +9 modifier so unless I was attempting something truly outrageous the NPC in question would never attack me as only a failure of <5 illicits an attack, I think.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Mechanics can be worked out in-game but yes, it has situational uses.

Also see above regarding the 5 STR.

Those two traits are fine.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Trait bonuses do not stack—they’re intended to give player characters a slight edge, not a secret backdoor way to focus all of a character’s traits on one type of bonus and thus gain an unseemly advantage.
Yeah...

At its core, a character trait is approximately equal in power to half a feat, so two character traits are roughly equivalent to a bonus feat.
Can we exchange our two traits for a feat?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yeah, even for magic types, dropping your STR too far down -- unless you can afford a handy haversack or bag of holding (and even then, the haversack has weight -- really leaves you in a position where you can barely carry things, including some potential regular magic items, without taking move penalties. My rogue only has a STR of 10 in another campaign and is barely able to carry her weapons and armor and her haversack, and stay in the Light category.

Yeah...

Gawd. I never tried to exploit a feat out of you for two traits! :D

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Also, are you including the racial bonuses in the first column? If not, you're going to have a grand total of 5 strength. You'll have trouble even carrying a staff and basic items as a sorcerer. Still if that's what you want, feel free.
16lb what's that...
About 5kg, and I can carry up to 16kg with penalties.

I won't be wearing armour or using melee weapons so it should be fine, I'm intending to use my charisma and enchantments to recruit NPCs, if I need stuff carried I'm sure I can "convince" them :D

Gawd. I never tried to exploit a feat out of you for two traits!
ENTP = Master systems exploiter.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My enlightened hobo monk / improvised weapon master can help you carry things since he has no gear or gold of his own.

Although he might end up using your knapsack as a flail :D

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
To be honest I don't really view them as stacking per se.

Although when I think about it more, I'm going to have to say no. I can see a lot of rather tiresome situations of having to deal with bluff/motive checks if it becomes too easy to pass them. So yeah, pick one or the other.

No. If you're human you get a bonus feat at level 1 anyway, so quit complaining!

As for the negative strength, it also means you're likely to drown or be incapable of climbing even basic obstacles without help. There's also many ways that you can receive ability damage to STR from lots of enemies.

Just letting you know so that if you suddenly find yourself literally stuck and unable to move on account of certain situations...well don't say I didn't warn you.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm planning on charming NPCs and using them to protect me, in dungeons I'll be practically useless (aside from providing light and putting weaker enemies to sleep) but in towns I'll be able to haggle, gather information, recruit meat shields and generally keep everyone else out of trouble.

At level 2 I'll get the "Magical Tail: Disguise Self" feat and at level 3 I'll get the "Magical Tail: Charm Person" feat which can be used twice per day, plus the 1st level charm person spell which at level 3 I can prepare five uses per day so I'll be able to recruit up to seven NPCs, I'll convince them to carry my stuff and help me when needed.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer's spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer's Charisma modifier.
So 10+1+5+1(Kitsune Magic)+2(Insistent Benefactor)=19

Charm Person isn't exactly mind control but for the sake of recruiting pro-bono bodyguards it's good enough and with the wealth of trickery spells/abilities my race/class affords me I'll be a master of context manipulation making it easy for me to frame, blackmail and impersonate people.

I don't even intend to carry a weapon, after all what better way to convince someone to follow me into a back room or dark alley than showing them I'm completely unarmed?

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm interested! I'm a bard and some kind of half thing. Will give more specifics later when I know wtf I'm talking about. Just registering.

Oh yeah but more detail please? Voice/cam/what as Min asked.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Voice or text, I don't mind what people do. But there will be a Skype session for ease of communication. I'll make sure everyone gets their turn in each combat round and social situation, in which they can either speak or just type what they're doing.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cloak (Reversible)
Price unknown, I figure a decent one should be about 10gp.
Weight 1lb

Outfit, Scholar's (Tear-away Clothing)
Price 5gp + another 5gp for tear-away functionality
Weight 6lb

Outfit, Pickpocket's (underneath) +2 Sleight of Hand
Price 5gp
Weight 3lb
If I'm being pursued I can reverse the cloak & tear off the scholar's outfit.

Scarf, pocketed +2 Sleight of Hand
Price 8 gp
Weight 1/2 lbs

Knife, switchblade x4
Price 5gp
Weight 1lb
I can throw the four knives although I'd prefer to hide behind a fighter or coup de grace my enemies in their enchanted sleep, turning furry and biting is an act of absolute desperation or (if finishing someone off) vindictiveness.

Ink
Price 8gp

Inkpen
Price 2gp (a needlessly expensive pen, looks nice)

Parchment x10
Price 2sp
Document forgery, for those truly audacious bluffs.

Playing Card Deck x2
Price 5gp each (normal cards, modified to be light)

Dice (loaded, average)
Price 10gp
Scamming tools, I really want the higher quality loaded dice but they're 50gp and I can't afford that :(

Finally a bag of dried rose petals, enough for 10 castings of the Sleep spell, there's no listing for their price so I'll just assume it's 10gp which is a lot for materials I'm probably supposed to scavenge but I'll use sand for casting the spell most of the time and petals for special occasions when I want to be melodramatic :D

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:00 PM
-->
I'll be helping RB steer for a few sessions, then I might join in with a character.

I think we'll make a decent good cop bad cop duo (from the generosity he's been showing with character stats, I'm guessing I'm bad cop :evil::cthulhu:).

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I think I'm my own good cop bad cop. I'm generous with stats for both PC's as well as the enemies :cat:

Also was planning to run the session some time next weekend, and then either once every week or two weeks from there on. The time we hold the sessions will have to be subject to everyone's availabilities, so we'll organize it more thoroughly at a later date.

For those wondering, you'll probably advance through levels 1-8 relatively quickly, so it will help (hint hint) if you plan your character for the bulk of the content being around the mid-game level-range (8-15).

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:30 AM
-->
Okay, I don't really have the time for this for another week or two, so I'm out

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I don't really know what's going on with Cog's game, it sounds now like he is truly bailing on it since he's investing so much in this one.

If I did this and could make whatever time is set, I'd either play my character from that campaign, or I'm playing a TWF fighter.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hey now don't be like that :(

Yes my campaign is on hiatus, as I've told you I want to get some experience as a player and resources I make for redbaron I can also use myself, furthermore creating a character has proven to be a very effective way to learn the rules, specifically trying to minmax a character in different ways has taught me how the game mechanics are balanced which is something a DM has to know.

Seriously remember when I was giving away feats for free?
I had absolutely no idea :D

Furthermore I have a great deal of uncertainty over whether I should continue my campaign as originally planned or, because I spoiled the surprise, maybe I should come up with new content so you lot can continue off into unknown territory again; currently I'm on the side of making new content but fitting it into the already established stuff (the demon in particular) is tripping me up a bit.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I don't really know what's going on with Cog's game, it sounds now like he is truly bailing on it since he's investing so much in this one.

If I did this and could make whatever time is set, I'd either play my character from that campaign, or I'm playing a TWF fighter.

Do it!

It will likely just be at the same time as the previous ones, since that seemed to work best for everyone.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If you decide to be a two-weapon fighter here's something to consider, two Rapiers and the Weapon Finesse feat and put the points you were going to put into Strength into Dexterity instead, so as long as you're still strong enough to wear your armour you get the added defensive bonus of high agility.

I'm considering changing my loadout to a Rapier & Fighting Fan, it seems because Feinting is not a combat technique but rather a kind of bluff and the Rapier is one handed anyway I should be able to Feint with the fan before I strike with the Rapier without incurring two weapon combat penalties, since I won't be using the fan as a weapon.

:cutewhitekitten:

For that matter using the Tekko-Kagi to Disarm since it's meant to be equipped (strapped no less) to the off-hand, I figure attacking with it in the same round as attacking with another weapon incurs the penalty but not if it's the only weapon used that round, so one can't attack someone and try to simultaneously disarm them either.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yeah, thanks.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Cognisant said:
I'm considering changing my loadout to a Rapier & Fighting Fan, it seems because Feinting is not a combat technique but rather a kind of bluff and the Rapier is one handed anyway I should be able to Feint with the fan before I strike with the Rapier without incurring two weapon combat penalties, since I won't be using the fan as a weapon.

If you have a weapon in the off-hand and you feint with it, you incur combat penalties as though you are TWF. This is why feint builds are based on dueling - with a one handed sword and the off-hand empty. You feint and attack with a one-handed sword and you receive no penalties.

I'm just going to point out that trying to TWF is pretty much pointless for any class that isn't Fighter or Rogue. Fighter because they get so many feats to dish out damage, and Rogue because they dish out so much damage with sneak attack bonuses. For any class that isn't a Rogue, it takes about six feats before TWF really starts to shine. That's why it's pretty much done only with fighters. They get six feats by level 3. Other classes don't get 6 feats until level 10.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
And psionic-launched napkin dispensers!

By the way, everyone please PM me character sheets before Friday. Session will run Saturday if everyone is confirmed by then.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If you have a weapon in the off-hand and you feint with it, you incur combat penalties as though you are TWF. This is why feint builds are based on dueling - with a one handed sword and the off-hand empty. You feint and attack with a one-handed sword and you receive no penalties.
Aww damn, the mental image of fighting with a fan & rapier was so awesome.
Hold on a successful feint lasts until the next round, hence being able to feint with the rapier, so if I feint with the fan I may incur a penalty of -6 but I can still attack with the rapier in that same round and attack with it again in the next while my opponent is still "feint-ed" without the penalty, assuming I can either quickly put the fan away or there's no problem with it being held so long as it isn't used?

That first attack probably wouldn't be worth the penalty, unless I used a light weapon like a Kukri so the penalty is only -4.
*researches*
Okay so unless I'm fighting a ninja that's pointless, I can still attack but I'm just going to have to accept that any attack made while feinting is going to be quite likely to miss, so I may as well use the rapier because at least if it does hit it'll do more damage.

They get six feats by level 3. Other classes don't get 6 feats until level 10.
I've been meaning to ask you about that, how do we acquire feats?
Up until now I assumed we got one for every new level unless you're a rouge or a human or a human rouge :ahh: y'see my build is based around abusing the Magical Tail kitsune racial feats which are all quite powerful compulsion/enchantments, not to mention the Extend Spell feat of the vampiric sorcerer bloodline.

If I have to wait until level ten to have 6 feats I'm probably better off not bothering with the rapier since I won't be taking the Weapon Finesse feat until all the more attractive options are gone, instead returning to focus on concealed/ranged weapons.

Edit: The Tekko-Kagi is exotic, so I can't use it, damn.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If I use two Tonfa since they both have Blocking does that increase my AC by 1 for each Tonfa for a total of +2 and is that in addition to the +2 gained by fighting defensively as normal?
Fighting Defensively as a Standard Action

You can choose to fight defensively when attacking. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 to AC until the start of your next turn.
Special Weapon Features

Some weapons have special features in addition to those noted in their descriptions.

Blocking: When you use this weapon to fight defensively, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC. Source: Ultimate Combat.
Obviously the attack would be absolute rubbish but that's not the point, the point is to keep myself from getting killed.

Unless a goblin or whatever gets a critical on me in which case I'm pretty much screwed.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Info regarding feats here.

By the way as a sorcerer you're not proficient with the Rapier either. It's a martial weapon.

Taken from here.

You'd probably want to check out the rest of the page as well and plan your build around the information there. All I can say is that you're probably going to want to avoid melee combat, not get into it.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
All I can say is that you're probably going to want to avoid melee combat, not get into it.
social-fu-demotivational-poster-1209519235.jpg

At least once I have got to try this.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Or a monk

Dual ki-imbued candlesticks ftw

hah, yes!

Anyway, pretty much the Flurry of Blows progression mirrors the Fighter TWF BAB/attack progression.

---------------------

... and sorcs really shouldn't be in the front line of combat. Your BAB sucks so you won't hit after the first 1-3 levels, you have very little natural weapon proficiencies, your hit points are too few, and you'll be casting defensively a lot... you're basically nerf'ing/undermining your primary contribution.

IOW, yeah, sure, carry a weapon if you want "in case push comes to shove," but you'll do better after level 1-3 trying to get a 'port spell or some other extraction spell in place. Prolonged combat is not where you want to be unless you're multi-class or have some kind of spells and items that massively buff you (or mirror images, etc.)

IMO.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sleep, enchantment(compulsion)
+1 Spell Level
+2 Vampiric Bloodline
+2 Insistent Benefactor, spell causes no direct harm
+4 Charisma Modifier
Total DC19

Spear (Iron Primal)
1d8-3 critical x3
The plan is to coup de grace enemies while they're sleeping but I just realised if I roll anything less than a four I'll have put myself in melee with an opponent that can probably one-shot me, so I probably better stay out of combat altogether.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How about you put them to sleep and I'll coup de grace them with a baguette?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'll coup dis-grace myself at this rate.

Reconsidering ability scores...
The Dexderity is absurd, at the time I thought it was a good idea but that's when I thought I could use a rapier.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
How about you put them to sleep and I'll coup de grace them with a baguette?

I love a frenchman who can ram bread down a dying man's throat.

(as long as he's not just an 8th level mime PRETENDING to coup de grace someone.)

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Updated Ability Scores V2
STR 10 (0)
DEX 9 (-1)
CON 7 (-2)
INT 17 (+3)
WIS 11 (0)
CHA 20 (+5)
Racial modifiers (DEX/CHA+2 & STR-2) already applied.

Now I start with five 1st level spells per day at DC20 and I get 5pts to spend on skills.

Edit:
2pts Bluff (+8)
2pts Intimidate (+8)
1pt Linguistics (Infernal)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Not allowing primal iron as a starting material. It has a flat cost of 3,000gp for enchantment + 3x cost of normal weapon. Long story short, you can't afford it.

Going to update the other thread with some guidelines and rules regarding 3rd party addons to the core rulebook.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Not allowing primal iron as a starting material. It has a flat cost of 3,000gp for enchantment + 3x cost of normal weapon. Long story short, you can't afford it.

What is our starting gold? Did I miss a page of rules somewhere?
Level 1? Etc?

EDIT: Oh. If all else fails read the thread.
doh.gif

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I could have min-maxed my DEX, but it didn't fit my character concept even though it would have come in handy in terms of dice rolling. Oh well.

EDITED LAST: 7/21, 8:30pm EST

CACIA
Fighter (TWF archetype)
Alignment: Neutral Good

STR 14 (+2)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 10 (+0)

Cacia, like most fighter-types, is practical in behavior and direct in her communication. Her name means, "thorny tree," and if you "grab one of her branches" so to speak, you will feel the pain. While not one to needlessly instigate a conflict, she's also not one to flinch from a fight or play the diplomat in order to avoid one; if someone tries to push her around, she'll fearlessly push back in equal measure.

Cacia lives for a challenge, and she determines her value and identity by her ability to get the job done. She functions as a mercenary in that regard, and wants to get properly rewarded for her risk and efforts. However, she still has standards. She has no qualms about inflicting equal measure out on those she thinks deserve it (the brutish, the sadistic, the abusive, the exploitative -- one reaps what one sows, in her view), but she does not delight in inflicting pain on the helpless, abusing the weak, robbing from the needy, etc., and will even intervene to protect those being preyed upon. Accordingly, she will refuse paid assignments that would demand she exploit those beneath her level.

This could be viewed as being a “good” character, but it operates in a more practical than idealistic way. A warrior who haphazardly abuses and humiliates those with lesser skill is but a coward and a bully and never really knows what she is capable of; knowing oneself comes through undertaking tasks and responsibilities that provide appropriate levels of challenge.

The name “Cacia” also means "alert and watchful," another apt description of her nature. As opposed to fighters who rush into battle relying on brute strength and stamina to triumph, she is a wise and intelligent fighter – something that might catch the unwary off-guard. She will assess the battleground and the participants and locations and plan her strategy accordingly. People might mistake her as "just another fighter," while actually she's been sizing you up and figuring out how best to take you down if and when the need arises. Underestimate her at your peril.

Life philosophy:
- Difficulties strengthen the mind as labor does the body.
- Being challenged is inevitable; being defeated is optional.
- If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

Appearance:
Not exactly this, especially in that Cacia isn't really "smiling" much -- she has a sharper, flatter, less readable look to her face, but the hair is pretty close.

[bimgx=300]http://hairstyles.thehairstyler.com/hairstyle_views/front_view_images/848/original/2472_Mandy-Moore-d-h_copy_2.jpg[/bimgx]

However, one of the things people notice when they meet her is that Cacia has a horrific scar on the left side of her face, starting in the hairline, leaving jagged/puckered and discolored skin around the outside end of her eye, running a broad furrow across her cheek, and curling under her jaw. It's bad enough that one might wonder how she survived such a wound, and at first meeting people find it disturbing and struggle with not staring at her. Interestingly, Cacia herself acts as if it isn't there -- she doesn't make any attempt to hide it, nor does she defiantly try to overexpose it for attention. She seems to view it as just, "It is what it is."

Top Bottom