• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

RPG with minimal to no speculative fiction

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 02:12
I was long thinking of preparing a game where players have a very restricted access to the irrational realms of imagination.

I often find magic or hi-tech muddled futurism to be a shortcut for the author to get to the point of the story where they want to have their readers. I tend to agree that purely magical creatures are instances of creative or destructive primordial madness that twist the experience of reality.

So at this stage I am just asking for your opinions about playing a game with minimal speculative fiction, but exploring real time periods, historical fiction and consistent realities. Yes, the only instances of speculation would be historical/hypothetical changes.

Would you like to participate in such?
What would your preferred format be? Play by post, virtual tabletop, other?
Did any of you think of storytelling? Do you have a preferred system you would like to play in if above conditions are satisfied?

If you want some exaples to visualise the idea.
Working on a trade ship belonging to Hanseatic merchant fleet.
Investigating a crime in a modern day Chinese province, etc.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 20:12
I'm rather indifferent to the scenario you suggest. I don't think for some of us that the "speculative" aspect of setting and whatever else is just an exit on the highway of getting to somewhere else, people are capable of enjoying settings and circumstances that are outside the realm of the mundane and predictable.

I live every day in my world and have to make decisions daily in my career. I don't play games and generate stories to live in the same world and make the same kinds of decisions.

For example, the trade ship example bores me to tears.

The crime investigation thing is more "genre" oriented and sounds more interesting, but the reality is that much of a detective's work is procedure and reports and farming stuff out to subordinates, right? So if you plan to be "real," it now sounds rather boring as well.

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 02:12
I wouldn't make you to participate in the mundane activities. Of course it would be boring. I would give you a realistic / empirical world to experience. You wouldn't have access to magic and other short cuts. There would be an intrigue of some sort for you to participate, maybe a regicide, maybe corporate takeover, but you would be normal people and the story would be believable to the point where it could happen in reality.

So maybe the examples are confusing, but I primarily want to cull fantasy elements and replace them with real systems that probably do the same thing and remove things that had no reason to exist.

Top Bottom