• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Schizotypical Personality Disorder

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 9:30 PM
-->
Schizotypal Personality Disorder

I was wondering, do you all also feel like you have a lot of the symptoms of this disorder?
I just came across a Wikipedia page on it.

Here are the symptoms:

-Inappropriate or constricted affect (the individual appears cold and aloof);
-Behaviour or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar;
-Poor rapport with others and a tendency to social withdrawal;
-Odd beliefs or magical thinking, influencing behaviour and inconsistent with subcultural norms;
-Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas;
-Obsessive ruminations without inner resistance, often with dysmorphophobic, sexual or aggressive contents;
-Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;
-Vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped thinking, manifested by odd speech or in other ways, without gross incoherence;
-Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations, and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.

I can recognize the depersonalization, obsessive ruminations with inner resistance, odd/eccentric behaviour, vague thinking...
I've had people call me cold too.

What do you people recognize? And do you believe these symptoms should be taking seriously?
This frightens me, but it also seems that A LOT of people seem to have at least 3 of these symptoms...

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 3:30 PM
-->
I've often thought the Encyclopedia Dramatica definition for Aspergers syndrome described a lot of the personality disorders people think they have around here:

Aspergersdefinition.gif

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Yeah, I agree with that actually.
It doesn't mean these disorders don't exist though.

Still, finding out you seem to be pretty similar to someone with a pretty serious disorder seems scary. Nonetheless you're right.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Yeah, I agree with that actually.
It doesn't mean these disorders don't exist though.

Still, finding out you seem to be pretty similar to someone with a pretty serious disorder seems scary. Nonetheless you're right.

I don't doubt it exists. But for it to be a disorder would mean it would have to be debilitating and hinder normal functioning. Everyone feels a little blue sometimes, but that doesn't mean everyone suffers from depression.

If I go on wikipedia and look up Schizophrenia, I fall into all of the "negative symptoms" - Blunted affect (lack or decline in emotional response), alogia (lack or decline in speech), avolition (lack or decline in motivation), anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure), asociality (lack of desire to form relationships). That doesn't mean I'm schizophrenic, though.

I can identify with several of the symptoms from Schizotypal PD, but not the most severe ones (as far as the impact they would have on normal functioning):
-Odd beliefs or magical thinking, influencing behaviour and inconsistent with subcultural norms;
-Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions;
-Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations, and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.

The other symptoms sound more like they're describing somebody deeply introverted than someone with a debilitating personality disorder.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I recognise a tendency on several of these symptoms. But when one talk to someone who really have asbergers then at least I realize I am probably normal. Isolation will bring fourth tendencies like these in most people I presume. I've found a bit of socializing does the trick to think in a more regular pattern again. As in, there isn't anything inherently abnormal with my brain. I'm confident of this. Just some quirks that could be mended, if I wasn't so damned lazy to acquire the skills.

So yes. The encyclopaedia dramatica has this covered. There is also the aspect if there is something wrong with you, or with them. If it isn't a problem. As in no one gets hurts(preferably not yourself either), then I think it's fine.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 9:30 AM
-->
As far as I know, this is somewhat related to schizophrenia. It seems more like the definition of a high-functioning form of schizophrenia.

-Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;

But ah, there is much causal evidence and belief that schizotypal is a result of trauma(s). Schizotypical is sometimes thought to be a nurtured disorder that ends up resembling a watered down schizophrenia. Or rather the traumas bring out the mild schizophrenic traits of the individual, where otherwise are kept in check and controlled.

In other words, what are your motivations for acting the way you do? Is it based on trauma? If not, and your functioning is fine, I wouldn't think too much of it. If you know it is trauma based, then it would be worth looking into the matter.

Disclaimer: But of course I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist or therapist, but an electrical engineer and computer scientist, so my words are presented here as the echo of my current thoughts and views about the matter from what I have learned and discovered and interpreted independently based on my own life experiences, as well as those of others around me and never will be or should be thought of as an absolute or correct interpretation if you see good reason to disregard it.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
I don't really think I'm schizotypal, I have about 3 symptoms I'm sure of, and one symptom that I'm now doubting I really have. You need 5 to be officially schizotypal.
Just wondering if any other people here also shit their pants for a moment when they read the symptoms of a disorder and find out they can relate to a lot of those symptoms haha.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I don't really think I'm schizotypal, I have about 3 symptoms I'm sure of, and one symptom that I'm now doubting I really have. You need 5 to be officially schizotypal.
Just wondering if any other people here also shit their pants for a moment when they read the symptoms of a disorder and find out they can relate to a lot of those symptoms haha.

It's not worth panicking over.
Most of these symptoms don't seem pathological at all.

Being eccentric is a criteria? Ruminations? Being distant? Why don't we just diagnose everyone with something? :rolleyes:

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 10:30 PM
-->
As far as I know, this is somewhat related to schizophrenia. It seems more like the definition of a high-functioning form of schizophrenia.

But ah, there is much causal evidence and belief that schizotypal is a result of trauma(s). Schizotypical is sometimes thought to be a nurtured disorder that ends up resembling a watered down schizophrenia. Or rather the traumas bring out the mild schizophrenic traits of the individual, where otherwise are kept in check and controlled.

In other words, what are your motivations for acting the way you do? Is it based on trauma? If not, and your functioning is fine, I wouldn't think too much of it. If you know it is trauma based, then it would be worth looking into the matter.

Disclaimer: But of course I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist or therapist, but an electrical engineer and computer scientist, so my words are presented here as the echo of my current thoughts and views about the matter from what I have learned and discovered and interpreted independently based on my own life experiences, as well as those of others around me and never will be or should be thought of as an absolute or correct interpretation if you see good reason to disregard it.

+1

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
It's not worth panicking over.
Most of these symptoms don't seem pathological at all.

Being eccentric is a criteria? Ruminations? Being distant? Why don't we just diagnose everyone with something? :rolleyes:
I certainly agree there.

Anyway, I have (or perceive I have, at least) four, or five, of these symptoms (Constricted affect, "odd" or "eccentric" behavior, social withdrawal, paranoia, and maybe vague thinking).

Though, I don't see why any of these should necessarily be seen as "symptoms" of a "disorder." Most of these are integral parts, I think, of the INTP personality (subtracting, perhaps, delusions).

I think I once read that Schizotypal is highly likely in schizophrenics and is actually a precursor to schizophrenia. As for the validity of that... I can't say.

Jean Paul

Ideas from nowhere
Local time
-->
I Generally fill the bill for schizotypal,but I doubt its schzicoptyal.

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
Today 8:30 PM
-->
I do not think that most here have "magical thinking" which is what my licensing exams seem to focus on when questioning us about schizotypal. It does not mean "daydreams about a magical world, or all the possibilities of reality". I think it literally means these people literally believe in stuff like witches who fly around on broomsticks etc..... I have said this in other threads, but I think that most people here would be closer to the schizoid personality disorder.

Schizoid:
A. A pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings, beginning by early adulthood (age eighteen or older) and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
  1. neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family
  2. almost always chooses solitary activities
  3. has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
  4. takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
  5. lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
  6. appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
  7. shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affect
B. Does not occur exclusively during the course of schizophrenia, a mood disorder with psychotic features, another psychotic disorder, or a pervasive developmental disorder and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
-->
my theory: extreme introverted thinking with all other functions underperforming makes schizotypal disorder

schizotypal disorder is introverted thinking to the extreme

INTPs have strong introverted thinking but also have other functions backing it up, if the other functions faill then INTP will be schizotypal

Top Bottom