• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Scissors/Paper/Rock fantasy setting

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 09:07
I've posted about this before as a game idea but a video by Shadiversity has inspired me to turn it into a narrative setting.

There exists the blessed who have gained the favor of the gods and been rewarded with powerful magic, the fallen who are simply people and then there's the damned who were people who made pacts with the dark gods to become monsters.

The blessed cannot cause harm to the fallen in any way or else they'll lose the favor of the gods however the fallen can harm the blessed without consequence, as such communities/societies tend to be ruled by the fallen and although everyone's born blessed the majority of people are fallen as it's extremely difficult to go through life without harming anyone at all ever. Everyone's born blessed but the magic usually doesn't manifest until puberty, around about someone's sixteenth birthday, although it may occur earlier as a defense mechanism or later in life if their upbringing is particularly coddled.

The damned can take on human form but they have to exert stamina to do so, it's like hanging on to a ladder in that it's not particularly tiring but after a few hours you're going to start suffering stiffness/soreness from the strain and after 48 hours you'll be really struggling to hang on. Their true forms vary wildly, basically any humanoid monster you can think of including undead, giants, merfolk, ghosts, even monsters that are only partially humanoid like a sphinx. To humans without magic these monsters are extremely dangerous, usually capable of taking on half a dozen armed/armored men or possessing some particular ability that makes up for a lack of strength/speed/claws.

The blessed can have a wide range of abilities but on average they can do the following: levitate, teleport to a location within sight, throw fireballs of varying intensity, heal wounds, freeze water and create magical barriers which are practically impenetrable. On top of all that they have a high resistance to mind affecting abilities, a blessed person can normally shrug off a siren's song or a banshee's scream but if they're drunk, exhausted, feverish, poisoned or some combination thereof they'll be more susceptible to it. As with humans and monsters it's reasonable to expect that the average blessed person would be capable of contending with half a dozen or so monsters even though they're not any more inherently durable than any other human.

It's not inconceivable that humans and the damned or even the damned and the blessed might ally with each other however the damned need to consume human flesh to maintain their human minds and the ability to take on human form so any truce will be inherently uneasy and based on uncomfortable compromises.

Please ask questions or offer ideas to help me add detail to this setting.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today, 21:07
(Sorry, off topic. Have you ever considered creating a board game? Rhetorical question. It might be something up your alley. Might sound boring if you don't play any board games yourself, but they can be pretty entertaining, complex and there's a lot of people still playing them x:

That is all. Carry on.)

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today, 09:07
I don't have any board game ideas, I can see the superficial similarity of what I wrote above to games of werewolf/mafia but adding a third faction to those has already been done. I'll think about it.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today, 21:07
Not necessarily this idea in particular, just a thought after seeing the various ideas you've had.

If you play a few board games, you might get inspired. (You just need to trick 3 other people to want to play with you, as most games are peak strategy/ fun when with 4 players ((or more)). Some are pretty complex. Some take a long time to learn, but when learned don't feel that complex/ satisfying after all. It's usually a mountain of difference between playing 2 player and 4 player, unless the game is specifically targeted at 2pl.

Agricola and Fresco are examples of games I think you might have enjoyed creating, maybe with other themes and slightly different mechanics. Noria has an interesting wheel mechanic, but the game, in a way, feels to "simple" when you've learned the rules (which I spent about 30-40 min learning:dazed:).

I've heard Scythe is pretty good. It might be something you'd enjoy, and it's supposed to be ok or good with 2 players. But unless you find it on sale, it's pretty expensive. (There's a steam version, but I think it has mixed reviews, it also might not got that board game feel for someone who wants to try board gaming or get others into it)

(((Sorry about the board game autism. Carry on )))

Top Bottom