• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Sleep transitions

Feyd

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:23 AM
-->
Hello INTP brethren. I am very strange when it comes to sleep and it seems many of you are too. Something I have noticed is that my brain in general takes a long time to transition into sleep or out of it. When I wake up in the morning I am a wreck and frequently get a headache. I will have no appetite for hours. At night I can go to bed at 10 and fall asleep at 1 in the morning. Sometimes (particularly in school) I drift off into sleep mode and it is nearly impossible to get out of.

Is this something all INTPs can relate to?

Another thing, do a lot of INTPs utilize THC? I have read multiple references to it by reading this forum for 30 minutes and I find this funny because I started smoking 2 weeks ago :p.

dwags222

Local time
Today 3:23 AM
-->
if you are young you might just grow out of it. i have. i think it is just a matter of relaxing and letting your mind freely wander. practicing meditation can help you learn how to disconect so that you are not consciously focusing on your mental thoughts. i think most intp's can't get to sleep well when they are young because they haven't learned how to stop thinking.
(well, in a way your mind never stops thinking, but by thinking above i mean conscious awareness of mental activity.)

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
My problem isn't that severe, but unless I sleep for more than 9 hours, I'm sub conscious the entire time. All I can really do is lay there and rest my eyes and body and have little half hour lapses of sleep. I sometimes never lose consciousness during the night.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 5:23 AM
-->
if you are young you might just grow out of it. i have. i think it is just a matter of relaxing and letting your mind freely wander. practicing meditation can help you learn how to disconect so that you are not consciously focusing on your mental thoughts. i think most intp's can't get to sleep well when they are young because they haven't learned how to stop thinking.
(well, in a way your mind never stops thinking, but by thinking above i mean conscious awareness of mental activity.)

I'm relatively old and haven't discovered the stop thinking secret either. I have discovered that there are times (when I think to do it!) that I can slip into a meditative state that serves me as an almost replacement to sleep. Which is exactly what it does and unfortunately screws up my sleep cycles even more. Weed never helped me sleep either. It just made me feel more tired the next day.

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
Today 4:23 AM
-->
When I wake up in the morning I am a wreck and frequently get a headache. I will have no appetite for hours.

This is definitely me to a T. I have no trouble getting to sleep though; I can typically go to sleep anywhere anytime, but this may have to do with the several-thousand-hour sleep deficit I no-doubt accumulated during college, and the 9-5 life since then...

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
I have to be completely wiped out in order to fall asleep at night. Both my body and my mind have to be exhausted. Unfortunately, whenever it gets to be around 10pm, my mind gets super sharp and I have a hard time dulling it enough to be able to sleep. On a good day I'll fall asleep at midnight. Otherwise it's somewhere between 2-4am.
I function decently on 4-6 hours of sleep. Less than 2 hours has me spacing out at random times during the day, but I'm good at keeping myself awake for school.
I'm always the most exhausted at noon, no matter how little sleep I get. And for some reason, unless I get less than 2 hours of sleep, I'm generally pretty upbeat in the morning. It's the afternoons that kill me.
I have no appetite when I wake either, and sometimes I get nauseous when I get out of bed. I can't remember the last time I ate breakfast without feeling like I was going to throw up.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
This is pretty much me to a tee.

I think the best way to eliminate this is to get plenty of exercise during the day. This, of course, is hard to motivate yourself to do when operating on very little sleep. I've also found that taking a PM pain reliever can help with getting to sleepytown. As for waking up in the morning, you're on your own there.:D Perhaps having plenty to look forward to would help with that.

Thaklaar

Local time
-->
Heh, nothing like rotating shift-work to make ordinary sleep problems seem trivial. Go from waking at 2:30 am and going to bed at 8:00 pm to waking at noon and going to bed at 5 am. Normally so sleep deprived I could go to sleep anywhere, anytime.

dwags222

Local time
-->
exercise is a good option too as echoplex mentioned. or just find an activity that you enjoy which is strenuous, doesn't really have to be "exercise" per se. i find this helps me feel much more balanced emotionally and mentally as well.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
Another thing, do a lot of INTPs utilize THC? I have read multiple references to it by reading this forum for 30 minutes and I find this funny because I started smoking 2 weeks ago :p.
THC might help you fall asleep at first, but it will make you sleep longer and make it harder to get up. Also, for me after 4 hours after smoking I reach a plateau of mental thought, and it's very hard to fall asleep for the next two hours. Also after you stop smoking regularly insomnia is pretty common.

Hey, I'm also from Oregon! I hear Bend has a fantastic real estate market at the moment. :-P

You were born in 1992. Sorry kid, I know that there are other people smoking weed in high school but it would be best if you stopped now. You can start again in college, but I think it's unwise to smoke in high school. Additionally you'll be an adult and probably living on your own and you can have the freedom to do it in a more relaxing environment. Just my two cents- I obviously can't force you to do anything.

Atriamax

Local time
-->
Sleep takes forever to come unless, im really exhausted. most of the time, bed is where my mind has the most freedom. its because i am idle and with the lights off, so its the only time my mind really gets to explore. I wish I could help it, but it usually takes an hour to 3 hours to fall asleep, however its not a time that passes slowly, i usually just let my mind free.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Normally, if it's dark, I can fall asleep in a short space of time, if I just lie down and stop moving, so I guess I'm the exception here. I like to get to a really lethargic state right before I fall asleep, where everything feels warm and heavy, then twitch my fingers or feet or something. Not enough to really wake me up, but enough to stop myself from falling asleep. I could lie like that all night, really. :D The best way to get me to sleep, though, is to feed me hot food then put me in a car, or just to put me on a bus-- no preparation required. It's wasted time anyway, so I might as well sleep through it.

I function best during the day, though, I find, if I sleep in ten to fifteen minute bursts, with the help of an alarm on snooze. I only need about three or four hours of that kind of sleep in order to feel refreshed and functional the next day. (Although very little can keep me awake through a forty-minute 'refresher' class on the French subjunctive tense.)

QSR

Local time
-->
Well I think we're probably all night Owls. I have trouble getting to sleep before midnight under any circumstances, and I don't like getting up before 8am. Part of the problem is that there's always something else I want to learn about before going to sleep. I've found that I usually don't fall asleep using the computer, but a book will put me to sleep in a few minutes if it's late enough.

I think getting to sleep has more to do with physiology than your mind. If your body is tired enough, then your mind will follow and you'll fall asleep.

polarmonk

Local time
Today 9:23 AM
-->
Have any of you ever had hypnagogic hallucinations? I used to get them before I went to sleep, but they've stopped now since life's less stressful. Sometimes I can feel hyperactive during tiredness (contradictory I know) which can stop me from falling asleep completely.
I would much prefer a nocturnal lifestyle :)

lindsayo09

Local time
-->
in my closet away from all these crazy people!!!
i used to be able to stay up all night and all day and not get tired at all. now i go to bed at nine, i wake up about three different times a night 2, 4, 5 then again at 6 to get ready for class. i have a sleep insomia i think is how you would call it, i can sleep until a time then i wake up, its a very common disorder. sometimes i wake up screaming or talking in my sleep, sometimes i can be asleep and still hear things going on around me. its like my mind doesnt want to shut down but my body does.

Halcyon

Local time
-->
I've always had problems falling asleep at night, even if I feel that I'm tired. My brain will mindlessly wander and I feel like I have no control over it, keeping me wide awake for hours before I actually fall asleep. Fortunately I discovered a few things. First was putting was mind into a meditative state before bed to stop the brain from being so excited. Second was biphasic sleep schedule. I read an excellent article
that gave a lot of science and advice about sleep that really enlightened me.

The guy was very anti-alarm clock, or anything that interrupts sleep before you wake up naturally, because it will usually cut out REM sleep which is the most important. Our ancestors apparently were also on a biphasic sleep cycle but modern industrial culture has standardized the wake and sleep hours, forcing people to go to sleep in one monophasic chunk. For some, this is fine, but many people have circadian rhythms that extend 25-28 hours, and find it hard to adjust to the standard sleep schedule. Many times they will just be sleep deprived and use alarm clocks that disrupt the quality of their sleep. I've come to the conclusion that I too have an extended circadian rhythym. What I started doing is going to sleep twice a day for 3-4 hours each essentially creating for myself two 12-hour days. I go to sleep from 4:30 - 8:00 a.m. and go to school for six hours. Then go to sleep from 4:30 - 8:00 p.m. and have 8 1/2 hours of free time (usually I sleep for shorter intervals but those would be ideal). Granted, I'm rarely awake when anyone else is, but I become very productive during the night hours. Unfortuantely it is hard to stick to a schedule so I still end up sleep deprived if I only end up with 2-3 hours of sleep before school, but I dont do anything productive in school anyway.

He also talks about a free running sleep schedule in which you only go to sleep when you are tired. He said that this is the best way to find your natural circadian rhythym and people most effectively sleep when in accord with their circadian rhythyms. He said that if you cant go to sleep within 10-30 minutes of lying down, you are not yet ready to sleep.
Also the guy cites a correlation between night owls having a higher IQ than morning people.

Thaklaar

Local time
-->
Also the guy cites a correlation between night owls having a higher IQ than morning people.

I remember a Psych prof telling about a similar study that was skewed due to the grad students running it tending to schedule the tests in the late afternoon. When they re-did the testing in the morning, the scores evened out.

Local time
Today 9:23 AM
-->
why do we talk in our sleep and How do you stop it?

....haha, my Pyjamas have 'Not a Morning Person' written on them

Mars

Local time
Today 8:23 PM
-->
The place between places. That's right, code for l
I tend to take about 1/2 an hour to a hour to get to sleep. I don't operate on an alarm clock, generally go to sleep when i'm sleepy. which usually is around 10-12 midnight, however when i'm working outdoors it can plummet to 8-9. As for falling asleep, the only thing that has really sent me off to sleep is the movie natural born killers. nothing like a psychotic love story to put me to sleep, anyone else think that's better than little red riding hood? happened three times in a row, no idea why. maybe it just makes too much sense and lets me know all is right in the world, there are still things that are screwed up \o/ huzzah zzzzzzzz

as for mornings, bright and early used to be a 6:00 on the dot wakeup, then 6:30 and then after all good cartoons were remove of tv it went to 5-45 minutes before I need to do anything. Then again I believe that I do not completely shut down for every sleep, sometimes my memory comes around and I am suddenly aware that I have been concious for about 30 min and not realised it, other times i'm awake and my senses slowly come online. kind of like i've tricked my body to stay asleep, my limbs don't register and my hearing doesn't exist. but as soon as I run through a 'system check' everything suddenly springs into life. so it's a bit tricky to observe.

Some other things that get me bolt upright awake is my dad's voice, he could be talking on the phone whatever but as soon as my name is called I practically wake right up, I think he's been a bit unsure when I he's walked past me a few times then told me to wake up and i do. but that's a long story, not for here..

As for that foetal state mentioned earlier, sounds interesting. get this, after a person had a kidney transplant he went mad for all food greek, pasta and the works, twisted the fork to get it on the fork and everything. more astonishing because he never really liked that style cuisine before. sooo, this leads me to believe that the nerves that run through the whole body are capable of storing memories albeit unspecific ones. which leads me onto how I fall asleep, i let my brain drift and retreat to my body and then start to retrract back from my extremities to the core and just waver there until morning when I realise i'm awake. this might somehow tie into the conscious state of early infants. no ideas here, but interesting non-the-less.

Top Bottom