• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Snowden, INTP?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:28 AM
-->
No evidence for this other than I get a feeling from Edward Snowden that he might be an INTP. I think it's clear at least that he's an introvert and a thinker, and the slight build and distant look to the eyes, would tend to indicate IN, which leaves INTJ or INTP. An INTJ would seem unlikely to go to such philosophical extremes as this, whereas an INTP would be less likely to worry about the implications of being a whistle blower, such as having to live the rest of your life in a foreign country.

Further, while a case could be made that this is an attempt by an INTJ to fix a system, I'd think that an INTJ would be more likely to remain within the system in an attempt to fix it, not reject it outright as Snowden did. Finally, if you listen to what he says he has more of a philosophical platform at work, rather than a methodological as an INTJ would tend to have.

After talking it through I think he's an INTP.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Yesterday 11:28 PM
-->
Originally thought ISTP.

"Post-Snowden world"

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:28 AM
-->
Further, while a case could be made that this is an attempt by an INTJ to fix a system, I'd think that an INTJ would be more likely to remain within the system in an attempt to fix it, not reject it outright as Snowden did. Finally, if you listen to what he says he has more of a philosophical platform at work, rather than a methodological as an INTJ would tend to have.

I can't say exactly what type he is; but his process resonated with me in the interview footage I've seen, and I think you're right about it being a philosophical platform (even what ideals he expressed), and how he approached it with such a broadly rational process. His actions were built from his ideas and everything he did followed; he also naturally anticipated the probable reactions he would receive (so he continued to think ahead strategically, in terms of what he needed to do and when).

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
Today 7:28 AM
-->

One must not forget that some INTJs can build up an extreme sense of revulsion of self or groups via Fi that can eventually lead to action, usually in reaction to a Ni-Te + Ni-Se perspective of how things or people are, measured against one's personal ideal via Fi.

This action will to others(and often the self) be explained/rationalized via Ni-Te "philosophy" (conceptual or abstract-aesthetic preference in regards to real world system in this case) even though the main motivator was that feeling of things just... being so horribly different than what one could be comfortable with... because the INTJ experiences the feeling as being merely an implication of the Ni-Te and Ni-Se perception.
The feeling being a less conscious and less integrated part of the conscious contextualization system of the INTJ than these perceptions, and is thus automatically de-prioritized as an aspect when attempting to explain the action, even though it is a necessary one.

Adding: While he does seem to speak from a philosophical perspective, he also mentions things like that it is a threat more than they don't have the right or shouldn't have the right (I know these can be surface characterized as Fi, but really it's oriented around systematic interaction / Fe as external system, which is the form it often takes for INTPs). Having the appeal to emotion aspects of what he says emerge from describing consequences in reality (albeit abstracted to "threat") is indicative of INTJ rather than INTP.

Clarification: Not claiming he is INTJ, just saying that what was mentioned is not a good basis on which to judge an individual case because INTJs are entirely capable of this in a not very farfetched or super unlikely way.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today 1:28 AM
-->
The implications of your OP is that an INTP would have a greater practical impact than an INTJ, given how this whole scenario has played out so far, with people playing by the institutional cultural mores ignored after being threatened and harassed.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:28 AM
-->
One must not forget that some INTJs can build up an extreme sense of revulsion of self or groups via Fi that can eventually lead to action, usually in reaction to a Ni-Te + Ni-Se perspective of how things or people are, measured against one's personal ideal via Fi. ...

That's a good point (CHANGE YOUR FUCKING AVATAR) Latte. He does have the straight dead-pan demeanor of an INTJ. Does he display any Ne, or any sense of humor? That would seem to clinch INTP, but now I'm leaning either INTJ or INTP.

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
Today 7:28 AM
-->
I'm watching http://youtu.be/5yB3n9fu-rM at the moment, and I'm thinking that while he emphasizes consequence and reality a lot when he discusses the system, he does also speak about a lot in ways a Fe user would... but maybe in a Ni>Fe>Ti>Se rather than Ti>Ne>Si>Fe way.

This might be a bit overly "looking for patterns supporting a possible conclusion so much I find them" of me, but:

Having a strongly developed Ni-Se axis (not very common) generally tends to give INFJs the ability and tendency to describe and put emphasis the implications of a system in terms of "what can be done with it". Having a background in STEM and being interested in STEM at all will nourish Ti & Se at the expense of Fe both through social conditioning within the STEM field, and working with such training oneself to think in certain ways. Being interested in such over other things to begin with as an INFJ makes it likely that one is a not-very-Fe-heavy INFJ or one with semi-stunted emotions in regards to the external, especially when it comes to expression, the Fe being very subservient to Ni perception and used a lot for internal simulation/imagination and understanding of human interaction with the aid of Ti and sometimes Se. The intellectualization of behavior in a non-moral but understanding-of-system-implicative sense relying a lot on intuition of interpersonal behavior, fuzzy logic and not much on discrete thinking beyond keeping it coherent.

Thinking http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=7016&highlight=adymus+infj

The Academic:

This kind of INFJ is more often than not, confused for an INTJ, or even INTP. They still want to change the world and progress man kind in some way, but sometimes you got to play by science’s rules to cover any ground. While their focus in some way is usually still on people, they approach their research from a very academic and scientific stand point, without necessarily going out to personally teach the world in the INFJ mentor like way you would expect. Naturally these INFJs have a very well developed Ti, so well developed that they themselves would consider themselves thinkers before considering themselves feelers. But make no mistake; this is not Ni-Te they are using. Ni-Fe has a very distinct perception of worldview, and it can be maybe sense out of in a very logical manner using their Ti tertiary. But it is still just Ti’ed Ni-Fe. The Academics often do not use their Fe as warmly as the others might, this is for two reasons: Academia is srs bsns and when delivering facts and upholding an aura of authority, you don’t to look like a used car sales man. This is also because while they are talking, they are often running what they are going to say through Ti in real time, just to make sure everything is locally coherent. When you use Ti it withdrawals us from the world of personal connections, so it will actually deadpan and drop the emotion on your face (being an INTP myself, that is one I know all too well). If you grew up around a lot of Ti users, you are probably going to come out pretty similar to this, as an INFJ. Considering from day one, you really needed to have your theories tightened up in order for anyone to take you seriously. Sure it might have been brutal at first, but look at the bright side, now you have a really sweet Ti to help you take on the world with!
Fictional Examples: Professor Charles Xavier (X-Men)
Real-Life Examples: Dr. Drew, Paul Eckman, Carl Jung (Controversy time!)
He is a weirdo so he'll be possibly quite hard to type.

I can't exclude INTJ or INTP either.

KISS
Local time
Today 6:28 AM
-->
I believe he is a INXJ, may be more INFJ than INTJ. He doesn't has the "trait" of INTP: weird cool guy, impulsive suddenly. He has the open mind of Ni dominate though.

Alomoes

Local time
Today 6:28 AM
-->
Probably INFJ or INTJ. Argument is that this data gathering was an act of Ni. Telling it was Se. I'd sincerely doubt INFJ, for I'm horrible at code. Maybe if I were taught, but my main function of existance is to mess with the rules of society, at least acording to my functionalist views. But because this is what he did, my vote is for INFJ. And yet people wonder why we're all shot.

Top Bottom