• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Social Media Survey

Which social media platforms do you use?

• Total voters

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:44 AM
-->
Let us know what platforms you use, either having an active account or simply visit on at least a weekly basis.

How would you characterized the majority of people who use this platform?
How do you use this platform, what is your reason for using it?

If you answered "Other" please tell us what it is and answer the prior questions.

Also if you want to discuss your hypothetical ideal social media platform and what you believe social media is and/or should be this is very much the thread for that kind of discussion.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't use twitter per say but a lot of artists do so I'll often end up there after seeing something on Imgur and wanting to find more from the artist.

Imgur, my main content feed for when I'm on the bus or I'm at work and it's 4pm in the afternoon.

Youtube, commenting is my guilty pleasure because I know nobody reads them or at least they're not likely to ever read mine and even if they did I wouldn't know if they replied so what's the point? Because somebody's wrong on the internet!!!

Reddit is the big pond to INTPforum's little pond which scares me off saying anything too controversial, probably my most "homey" sub-reddit is r/Rimworld, the community is a nice combination of charmingly pleasant and terrifyingly disturbed.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 3:44 PM
-->
I use facebook as a blog, and to post interesting things and photographs. But, I don't connect with my family or friends - being connected to peoples energies drives me bonkers if its too long. I like to catch up with old friends, but up front, I tell them I'm a hermit and will unfriend after we have updated each other. I ask my highschool friends to take an MBTI test and that is my favorite part about the process, guessing & learning about their habits and quirks, but ultimately, I need my freedom and kick them off. (I'm a Life Path Five and we need complete freedom). Sometimes you have to let relationships go, even good ones to feel your freedom. And its important to me to be able to say whatever I want whenever I want without worrying who I'm upsetting, friends, organizations, etc.

https://www.yourtango.com/2020331709/personality-traits-life-path-number-5-numerology

I use instagram but I never post to it, I just like to observe a couple of interesting accounts. I like Pinterest to gather up a lot of favorite pictures and I like youtube to watch music videos and how to videos.

I am fascinated by INTP's though, so intpcentral long ago, and intpforum are quite fun because you have the sense you aren't going to upset someone for speaking a truth because we are 'whole' picture people who can accept different sides of a picture more easily and that is the best thing about us, tend to be open minded free spirits that devour information for the sake of learning because we are here to learn and enjoy thinking!

dr froyd

Today 8:44 PM
-->
i have literally zero presence on social media. The only one i kinda used past few years was linkedin but i deleted that too.

social media is based on the design that whatever is popular - in terms of votes, likes, clicks etc - becomes the most visible and ostensibly the most important. So by design it will always be a system where whatever appeals to the common denominator is what you are exposed to – which, as a rule, is just digital toxic waste.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 8:44 PM
-->
i have literally zero presence on social media. The only one i kinda used past few years was linkedin but i deleted that too.

social media is based on the design that whatever is popular - in terms of votes, likes, clicks etc - becomes the most visible and ostensibly the most important. So by design it will always be a system where whatever appeals to the common denominator is what you are exposed to – which, as a rule, is just digital toxic waste.

That is my argument here, that this is not the problem.

Common denominator is part of all interactions more or less, where ever you are.

I would argue its more insidious.
That is actually promotes content that people don't want or like.
In other words "social media tell us what to like" without us actually having any say in this.

For example youtube has creators, but the ones that get promoted and how you find them is not your doing.

So when youtube sends something like a viral video in yourfeed, its not viral because there is no better content on youtube, you are watching it, because that is currently what youtube made you watch by design.
Of course you don't have to click it, but lets be honest most people do.
And they know how to use the layout and repeatedly peddling the algorithm on your layout to make you click this stuff eventually.

Its not so much as someone forcing you at gun point, its more like psychology of buyers where most people buy soft fizzy drinks in hospitals despite you preferring water.
Its just that if you place cheap water in the back and no one can see it and soft fizzy drinks with flashy nice and beautiful colors are all over the front and there is like 20 different types as opposed to just plain water, your primate brain will go for the fizzy drink.

There is also deliberate action and urgency.
For example if you are there to just buy something because you are thirsty you are essentially going to put minimal effort into the purchase and that bottle is right in your face so you might as well buy it.

The problem with this that youtube is pretty overwhelming and the search engine is pretty much rigged as well as all other things.

So even if there are thousands of good videos you would really want to watch the chances of this are slim if they can bait you on more commercially viable channel.

Not to mention the layout you have its not in your control either.

You can choose what they feed you, but not when and how they feed it to you.
More importantly its more or less based around principal of overwhelming the person and just confusing their natural decision making process.

Yeah you don't have to watch any of the shit, but essentially which ever way, the algorithm is biased. Its biased in a way that will make you feel you have to eventually click on something, but when your brain just builds up confusion and frustration of scrolling and not finding any good content you click the next best thing, and essentially that thing is the shit you don't want to watch, but end up watching.

So if you are very serious about searching on these platforms and I include googles search engine in social media
you are going to spend really some serious time searching for something that is really hard to find, like half an hour, just find something that is not explicitly shoved in your face.

So no its not a bubble on social media.

That would be the last problem of social media.

Its literally a wall that prevents access to the information you want.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 5:14 AM
-->
Instructions unclear. I voted based on having an account, but realistically I use youtube and discord. Youtube as more of a streaming service and discord for social interaction.

Other social media I might use for social organisation (facebook), or as something I pick up every now and then to distract self (twitter, imgur). But I don't post on these and there's nothing social about them for me.

Generally I don't want to interact with people outside of forums and discord. Forums for interacting with people I don't necessarily know, and discord for interacting with people I do.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Tomorrow 1:14 AM
-->
WhatsApp and Telegram - essential for bare minimum communication with people because phone calls are not preferred by my age group. Other than that, YouTube primarily for music and chess.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I use WhatsApp but yeah I don't really think of it as social media, just a way to contact people I already know irl.

I get so many illegitimate calls and texts that I've practically stopped using my phone as a phone. The problem is my Dad likes to enter competitions and rewards programs and such, so he signs me up for them as well even though I keep telling him not to.

Granted he has won two motorcycles, many years apart.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Tomorrow 1:14 AM
-->
Yeah, it is a clear alternative to phone calls and trumps all other forms of social media by being adept at chatting, calling and video-calling. Same goes for Telegram. That is why I feel fulfilled by a combination of chatting and calling and physically meeting. However, I don't like video-calling that much, it is just confusing for me

Top Bottom