• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Sociopathy or Psychopathy?

Psychopathy or Sociopathy?

• Psychopath!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Sociopath!

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
Today 8:16 AM
-->
Psychopathy vs. sociopathy

Hare writes that the difference between sociopathy and psychopathy may "reflect the user's views on the origins and determinates of the disorder."[51]
In the preface to the fifth edition of The Mask of Sanity, Cleckly stated, "... revisions of the nomenclature have been made by the American Psychiatric Association. The classification of psychopathic personality was changed to that of sociopathic personality in 1958", suggesting that he did not recognise any difference between the conditions.

David T. Lykken proposes psychopathy and sociopathy are two distinct kinds of antisocial personality disorder. He believes psychopaths are born with temperamental differences such as impulsivity, cortical underarousal, and fearlessness that lead them to risk-seeking behavior and an inability to internalize social norms. On the other hand, he claims sociopaths have relatively normal temperaments; their personality disorder being more an effect of negative sociological factors like parental neglect, delinquent peers, poverty, and extremely low or extremely high intelligence. Both personality disorders are the result of an interaction between genetic predispositions and environmental factors, but psychopathy leans towards the hereditary whereas sociopathy tends towards the environmental.[46]

Taken from wikipedia.

What would you prefer? be a psychopath or a sociopath?
It's like that question that an author asked once "What would you prefer? Knowing a fairy tale exists and you can't participate, or not knowing it at all?".
The difference here, is that it's not a fairy tale - and you wouldn't care knowing "feelings" at all.

I liked a quote by Sherlock Holmes as portrayed in the new show by BBC called "Sherlock":
"I am not a psychopath! I'm a high functioning sociopath!"

I'd prefer psychopathy, because then I wouldn't hurt people I loved before.

Also it's quite interesting because I think INTP's lean towards sociopathy more than other types (possibly because it's quite attractive to be objective all the time).

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
-->
Definitely not.

Explain, stand your point - don't make a baseless accusation of "Definitely not" because it means nothing at all to no one. Actually, I don't even care about that comment - could of just ignored it, but I can't, because others might take this as an example and will not comply.

Actually, it's kind of spineless to not detail your opinion - for the fact you might take any form of disagreement possible. One might suggest an idea and you'd jump right on board with him because you have no clue as to why you object.

Think, then answer - not the other way around.
Share with the class.
Hit me with your thoughts.
It (the thread) won't go nowhere, so you might as-well face it now.
Take a stand.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 6:16 AM
-->
Explain, stand your point - don't make a baseless accusation of "Definitely not" because it means nothing at all to no one. Actually, I don't even care about that comment - could of just ignored it, but I can't, because others might take this as an example and will not comply.

Actually, it's kind of spineless to not detail your opinion - for the fact you might take any form of disagreement possible. One might suggest an idea and you'd jump right on board with him because you have no clue as to why you object.

Think, then answer - not the other way around.
Share with the class.
Hit me with your thoughts.
It (the thread) won't go nowhere, so you might as-well face it now.
Take a stand.

lol, serious business.

I was responding to your question. I definitely do not identify with or prefer to be any kind of variety of Antisocial personality disorder.

Now that you got your panties in a twist over arguments - you may want to provide one for your statement.

Also it's quite interesting because I think INTP's lean towards sociopathy more than other types (possibly because it's quite attractive to be objective all the time).

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 5:16 AM
-->
could of just ignored it, but I can't, because others might take this as an example and will not comply.

You can and you should have. Those who are still pressured by example need to learn their own awareness by themselves. They should learn to judge independently. Otherwise, you are continuing the same unintended dishonesty.

Glordag

Pensive Poster
Local time
Today 12:16 AM
-->
I probably verge on your given definition of Sociopath already. I don't think I have enough of an issue to claim I have a disorder, but I certainly think that I fit that description to some degree.

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
-->
lol, serious business.

I was responding to your question. I definitely do not identify with or prefer to be any kind of variety of Antisocial personality disorder.

The question is not whether or not you want to pick an antisocial personality disorder, but which one would you have picked if you did.

Now that you got your panties in a twist over arguments - you may want to provide one for your statement.

Introverted Thinking makes a person less "warm" towards other people (to say at the least), with an underdeveloped feeling functions the results could be antisocial personality... You might think the idea would apply to everyone, both S and N's, J's and P's but Sensing people tend to follow the rules (although "rules" might refer to their own, it's not very common to stray from the norm) and J's tend to go through organized frame which usually doesn't apply for sociopaths - they do not think of master plans to other throw the government in order to rule with money and power. The intuitive mind frequently looks for patterns and working together with the introverted thinking it will eventually find the "norm" within the many feelers in the society - realizing that their logic is wrong and needs to be fixed. But again, from here you have to ways - INTJs and INTPs, and there's two kinds of sociopaths or psychopaths - the one's that are dumb (low functioning) and the smart ones (high functioning). Both of them could fit anywhere - INTJ's or INTP's so that doesn't lead us anywhere - but it gives us an idea of probability, the dumb ones usually don't plan ahead and they don't have the capability to think a situation over and solve it for their needs, thus failing - means that most of this type will lean to P... Records also show that a lot of high functioning psycopaths tend to make plans as they get to a situation and being adaptable only to play around with people for their special needs. Meaning that from both aspects you'd probably get a majority for P rather than J, while J could still be in the zone of the majority because of the trauma that will cause a sociopathy but could get cancelled by the fact that a sociopath doesn't really need a sense of control because he already has it over people as time progresses.

Now, I could continue on and on - the main splits for psychopaths and sociopaths in my opinion are ISTP's, INTJ's and INTP's with a focus on the INTP's.

You can and you should have. Those who are still pressured by example need to learn their own awareness by themselves. They should learn to judge independently. Otherwise, you are continuing the same unintended dishonesty.

"Can't" usually stands for "I really don't want to".

The only reason why I care for people not being aware of the facts I wrote and the fact that they can't judge independently is because I want this conversation to continue for more then one comment, I want to discuss a topic that interests me, not less... not more.
If they continue to do so, it's on their expense and I'd rather let them miss out one chance of awareness and let this topic flow.
Sometimes slapping someone helps realizing facts better.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:16 PM
-->
Sociopath obviously. Why would I want to be an INTJ? :D

Top Bottom