• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

South Park Character Typing

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
Today 3:04 AM
-->
South Park: Craig

What type do you guys think the character Craig is from South Park?

Here's an episode of him:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s12e10-pandemic

Skip to about the 14th and 17th minute.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s12e11-pandemic-2-the-startling

Watch at 1 min, 4:30, 7th minute, 10th minute,

Craig also shows these traits throughout the rest of the episodes:
Introverted, rational, logical, boring, pessimistic, not very fun, low social skills, mean, blunt, complainer...

For some reason, I relate to Craig. So what do you guys think?

onthewindowstand

Local time
Today 2:04 AM
-->
Re: South Park: Craig

I'd say I'm more like a kenny and craig mix. But ya, he does seem very INTP to me.

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

I did some thinking and so far I can only reason that Craig is INTx.
Can't really tell if he's a J or P. He doesn't show enough behavior to distinguish.
He does seem very cynical, gloomy, dark, impersonal, emotionless, robotic, analytical, hard to persuade logically, sticks to his points, hard to compromise with, not very social, strongly critical, introverted, rational, logical, distant, cold and annoying to others.

These trait are found in both INTJ's and INTPs, as far as I can tell.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:04 PM
-->

For what my opinion may be worth...

I know a lot of times people will say that fictional characters are not good to use for typing for a variety of reasons, one important one being that there is no body language to be seen in cartoons. I generally disagree, but in this case, from what I remember, Craig was coming from a more detached, disengaged, and hyper-critical (albeit mostly true from a logical standpoint) viewpoint regarding everything. Although this can be type related in various circumstances, I don't believe that his character's behavior suggests a cognitive archetype, but rather a pessimistic disengaged vantage point of the events transpiring on the show that any type can display when feeling somewhat down or disillusioned about the people around them.

I think this is important because a personality type shouldn't be so concerned with such a variable attitude that a person can have for 16 types to accurately represent a planet of billions of people.

5k17

suspective
Local time
Today 9:04 AM
-->

I'm not sure if it was Reluctantly's intention to express that, but it is mine: Fictional characters do not always behave like real, psychologically consistent persons and thus do not necessarily have a realistic personality which can be classified.
BTW, threads like this one should actually go in the typing subforum.
And one more thing: I had really started to wonder when there would be a typing thread of South Park characters... and now I am somewhat surprised that it is about Craig and nobody seems to care about the main characters (though some of them are quite obvious).

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

Yeah, perhaps it should be relocated.
And if anyone wants to type a South Park characters, I suppose this thread will be suitable.

So far, I have Cartmen as ENTJ and Craig as INTx.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 1:04 AM
-->

Cartman is ENFJ, he directs and manipulates people through their internal emotional states.

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

In my opinion, Cartman is ENFJ; he directs and manipulates people through their internal emotional states.

Fixed.

And I do think your opinion is disputable.
Many people have given a plethora of reasons as to why he might be ENTJ.
He's not very ethical and seems to have a dominant Te.
Plus, NF (Idealist) doesn't seem to fit him.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Those "Idealist" and other labels are too much of stereotypes to really understand how these types really are on a day to day basis.

Fe does not imply "ethical" it implies being able to generate and stimulate emotive atmospheres and states.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:04 PM
-->

Wait, since when are ENTJs not ethical? They have Fi in their function list. If anything, just by simple reasoning of the functions they would be influenced by ethics to a degree, although a much smaller one than that of an Fi dominant or auxiliary, but enough that it would still be a factor in their decisions (and one that they would generally welcome in Fi-accepting circumstances).

But for Cartman, I'd like to think of Cartman as an ENTP, lol. Perhaps the extreme end of what I think an ENTP going bad would be imagined as.

I don't have a very strong opinion of the others, but here's a list to play with:

by ego functions...I use a different analysis similar to the basic idea of Pod'Lair (although typing cartoon characters isn't representative of my proper usage), but with concern to only functions...so I will label the functions...

Cartman - ENTP (Ne+Ti)
Cartman's Mom - ISFP (Si+Fe)
Kenny - ISTP (Si+Te)
Butters - INFP (Ni+Fe)
Kyle - ISTJ (Ti+Se)
Kyle's mom - ESFJ (Fe+Si)
Stan - INTP (Ti+Ne)
Stan's father - ENTP (Ne+Ti)
Craig - INTJ (Ni+Te)

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

Alright, I'm clearly not buying the entire "most NF's tend to be everything Cartman isn't, but that's just a stereotype anyway" argument.
And Extraverted Feeling does seem to largely incline people towards kinder behavior, whereas Thinking functions can lead to the objectifying of others.
I'm sure there is a correlation between feeling types and a greater capacity for empathy.

At any rate, notice this description of Fe:

The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.
Sorry, but Cartman is not nice, friendly, or very nurturing towards others. He's a complete douchebag (which is why Kyle, the NF character, hates him so much).

And:

• Idealists pride themselves on being loving, kindhearted, and authentic.
  • Idealists tend to be giving, trusting, spiritual, and they are focused on personal journeys and human potentials.
Which one of these describes Cartman?

Explain, in detail, why you think Cartman might be an ENFJ.
List examples from various episodes which back this.
Then explain why Cartman is so self-serving, people-objectifying, and apt to create really strategic plans to achieve what he desires.

As for this:

he directs and manipulates people through their internal emotional states.
Build a larger case for this, specifically. It seems rather vague and sloppy.
What specific actions does Eric do which lessen the possibility of Te behind this manipulation (as Te is connected to manipulative behavior) and increase the possibility of Fe.
Describe in detail and use examples. This seems like a baseless assertion. Let's see how it stands the test of reason.

Also refer to this thread to make your case against ENTJ:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ers-formerly-your-favorite-tv-characters.html

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

Wait, since when are ENTJs not ethical?

Don't misrepresent what I said. I'm not saying that ENTJ's are universally unethical; but Te is their dominant function and objective thinking of this type can lead to the objectifying of others. Therefore, based on Cartman's inclination to serve himself at the expense of others, it would seem more reasonable that he's a thinking type. Furthermore, Cartman is apt to develop strategical plans to acquire that which he desires. This most clearly represents Extraverted Thinking.

Additionally, look at this discussion. Notice the reasons for or against ENTJ. I think a pretty damn good case was given, and I agree with it 100%. The only other possible type I can see is INTJ or ESTJ (as those types share Te in some aspect).

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ers-formerly-your-favorite-tv-characters.html

But for Cartman, I'd like to think of Cartman as an ENTP, lol. Perhaps the extreme end of what I think an ENTP going bad would be imagined as.

I'm glad you don't think Cartman is an NF.
But list your reasons for ENTP.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Then explain why Cartman is so self-serving, people-objectifying, and apt to create really strategic plans to achieve what he desires.

This is exactly why he is Fe. You seem to think Fe cannot be involved in plans. Most of the manipulation is based on his control of Ni.

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

These are statements from that thread which I think describe Cartman to the t:

he is ALWAYS the one to come up with the big idea, the big plan, and knows exactly how to manipulate things to get what he wants (Te through Ni). watch scott tenorman dude (especially the ending). an estp would have tertiary Fe, which he has absolutely 0 of. cartman lives in getting people to do what he wants them to do and hes way way smarter than just seeing details. i used to think he was INTJ cause he always says "screw you guys, i'm going home" and plays with dolls and shit, but hes so active and outward when he's with people.

cartman is much more large-scale of a thinker than that. ginger kids, passion of the jew, both family guy episodes, he's always planning way ahead to acheive results for his own satisfaction, and goes about it in complex, not transparent ways. also, what makes you think he has any Ti? he isn't searching for truths, he just has a fucked up built in value system and wants to manipulate everything for his own ends.

true, everyone knows how to manipulate the outer world to get what they want, but thats cause everyone has a little bit of Te. cartman happens to have a fuckload. ENTJ case closed.

I think this is spot-on. Cartman is a completely heartless guy who does not care for anyone but himself and exploits people for personal gain. If you watch the aids episode, Kyle laughs at Cartman for contracting aids (as it ironic that the guy who is always making fun of people and acting like a heartless jerk finally got what was coming to him).

So ENTP sounds a lot better than ENFJ, just due the fact that Cartman is clearly a thinker. But I don't think he has Ti. He seems to clearly express a buttload of Te.

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

This is exactly why he is Fe. You seem to think Fe cannot be involved in plans. Most of the manipulation is based on his control of Ni.

Fe is often planning for the enjoyment of others (social events), not to meet one's own needs (how to rob a bank most efficiently without getting caught).

And if you're going to claim Cartman's an ENFJ, back it up.
I've given you plenty of material to consider and opportunity to support your claim with evidence/reason. I'm sure you can do better than this.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

Fe is often planning for the enjoyment of others (social events), not to meet one's own needs (how to rob a bank most efficiently without getting caught).
This is a huge generalization you know. You've basically claimed that all Fe types are do-gooders.

And if you're going to claim Cartman's an ENFJ, back it up.
I've given you plenty of material to consider and opportunity to support your claim with evidence/reason. I'm sure you can do better than this.
It would make much more sense to investigate it on your own. All I can do is argue, in the end it is you who must agree.

Other children and classmates are alienated by Cartman's insensitive, sexist, racist, homophobic, anti-semitic, lazy, misogynistic, self-righteous, and wildly insecure behavior,[6][7][8][9][10] but are occasionally influenced by his obtrusive, manipulative, and propagandist antics.

Kyle, who is Jewish, is often the recipient of the slander and anti-Semitic insults expressed by Cartman. The two have shared an enmity since the show's beginnings, and their rivalry has become significantly more pronounced as the series has progressed, with Cartman even routinely exposing Kyle to physical endangerment.

Cartman's motivation in this regard is not merely monetary gain, but an obsession with scoring a victory over Kyle,

Cartman is also inspired by All in the Family patriarch Archie Bunker, of whom Parker and Stone are fans. They state that creating Cartman as a "little eight-year-old fat kid" made it easier for the two to portray a Bunker-like character after the introduction of political correctness to late-20th century television.

Cartman is amused by bodily functions and toilet humor,[38] and his favorite television personalities are Terrance and Phillip, a Canadian duo whose comedy routines on their show-within-the-show revolve substantially around fart jokes.

Cartman is in denial of his obesity, often reasserting Liane's notion by exclaiming "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned!".[5] He views himself as more mature than his fellow friends and classmates, and often grows impatient with their company. This would often lead to loud arguments, which in earlier seasons typically ended with Cartman peevishly saying "Screw you guys... I'm going home!" upon leaving.[5] In an action King's College philosophy professor David Kyle Johnson describes as "directed either toward accomplishing his own happiness or the unhappiness of others", Cartman often feigns actual friendship with his fellow classmates when needing a favor.[11] The lack of a true father figure in his life, and Liane's promiscuity and drug use have caused repressed psychological hardship in Cartman's life.[39] As a parent, Liane spoils Cartman,[40][41] and is largely ineffectual as a disciplinarian.[42] Cartman sometimes authoritatively commands his mom to do tasks for him, but more often employs the means of speaking in an ingratiating tone when pleading with her. When neither method works, he resorts to excessive and indecipherable whining, with Liane usually succumbing.[43] Parker has noted that this is the primary cause for Cartman's behavior, stating that Cartman is "just a product of his environment".[5]

Cartman thrives on being granted ascendancy over others,[44] and exerts his will by demagogy and by demanding that others "Respect my authoritah!",[5] accentuating the last syllable of "authority" and pronouncing it /ɔːˈθɒrɨtɑ/.[42] He has shown an initiative in taking a businesslike approach to earning money, starting his own "hippie control" and "parental revenge" operations.[45]
Cartman's anti-Semitism, while mostly limited to mocking Kyle, culminated in the season eight (2004) episode "The Passion of the Jew". In the episode, Cartman, after watching The Passion of the Christ numerous times, deifies the film's director, Mel Gibson, and starts an official Gibson fan club, praising Gibson for "trying to express—through cinema—the horror and filthiness of the common Jew".[46] Cartman's interpretation of the film influences him to dress up as Adolf Hitler and lead other fan club members (who are clueless as to Cartman's actual intentions) in a failed effort to engage in a systematic genocide of the Jews similar to that of the Final Solution.[46] In the season 10 (2006) episode "Smug Alert!", Cartman anonymously saved Kyle's life in an effort to get him and his family to return to South Park from San Francisco, revealing that he craves the animosity shared between the two.[47]

Upon hearing his classmates tell him that they hold him in the lowest regard possible, a stubborn Cartman misinterpreted this act as their attempt to make him feel better, and obstinately convinced himself that everyone thought he was the "coolest kid in school". In the season 13 (2009) episode "Fishsticks", Cartman subconsciously believes that he solely created a joke that quickly becomes a nationwide sensation, despite the fact that the character Jimmy Valmer wrote the joke without any assistance. Carlos Delgado of If Magazine noted this as "Cartman being so egotistical that he manipulates the past to serve his own purposes".[48] In the season 14 saga that culminates with "Coon vs. Coon and Friends", Cartman joins forces with the dark lord Cthulhu (whom he insists upon crediting as merely "Coon's friend") and destroys everything he hates (synagogues, Whole Foods Market outlets, hippies at the Burning Man festival, and Justin Bieber) because he apparently believes he is making the world a better place.
Yes this is all coming from an ENTJ.

http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/entj/
http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/enfj/

The key word is "charisma". All the other information is just portraying types in an overly positive light. Not everyone is so jolly and fun loving. There are estranged people who just want to make money and get by in society.

Philosophyking87

It Thinks For Itself
Local time
-->

This is a huge generalization you know. You've basically claimed that all Fe types are do-gooders.

It's most accurate to say that I meant "many," not "all."

It would make much more sense to investigate it on your own. All I can do is argue, in the end it is you who must agree.

No. You just made assertions.
True arguments involve reasons, or at least examples.
Lazy. Might as well have not given your opinion at all.

Yes this is all coming from an ENTJ.

Yes, that description of Cartman's personality does seem ENTJ.

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
Today 8:04 AM
-->

cartman seems ENFJ

"Introverted Thinking Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up."

Sunyata

Redshirt
Local time
-->

I would have never said INTP, just because he's part of the "popular group" including Token and Clyde, who are the coolest and most popular kids in the class.

Local time
-->
Re: Daria

How is butters not an ISFJ? :confused:

I'd say Butters exhibits a lot of "inferior Fe" type behaviour. And is clearly too nice to be an ISTP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY8HDhLBL7E

Being polite at all times but being liable to snap and go on a truth rant if wound up enough. (in video at 9:30)

Being too honest, naive and gullible. Taken advantage of by friends. (1:06)

Strong unconscious desire to perform and be famous. (3:25)
Good dancer (10:11)

Local time
-->
Re: Daria

Being polite at all times but being liable to snap and go on a truth rant if wound up enough. (in video at 9:30)

ISFJ under stress reveals Tertiary and inferior functions.

Being too honest, naive and gullible. Taken advantage of by friends. (1:06)

Classic ISFJ.

Strong unconscious desire to perform and be famous. (3:25)

ISFJ inferior Ne.

Good dancer (10:11)
ISFJ Fe-Ne loop.

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
I don't think Craig is INTP maybe he is INTJ ... that would at least allow for the popularity factor.

Butters: INFP. i.e. "professor chaos" His thinking is expressed more in the form of inferior Te if you ask me.

Cartman: def. going with ENTJ.

I think Stan is ESTP anyone??

Local time
-->
Butters is very childlike INTP in his manner compared to the parent ISFJ.

ISFJ’s can and will stand up for themselves when necessary and so they never get to the crazed outburst stage that INTPs experience.

Inferior Ne in an ISFJ is sort of like being overwhelmed by unknown possibilities.
Curling up in a ball and sobbing through despair, just like my ISFJ mother did when I failed my exams. Or when she put diesel in the petrol car hundreds of miles from home, she actually froze up and couldn’t handle it, but I was unperturbed (although it was a huge pain in the ass).

Local time
-->
Butters is very childlike INTP in his manner compared to the parent ISFJ.

He's also often portrayed to be in flux between the influence of his parents and his friends.

ISFJ’s can and will stand up for themselves when necessary and so they never get to the crazed outburst stage that INTPs experience.

Sure they do. INTPs actually reach the crazed outburst stage sooner. It takes a LOT to get an ISFJ there, but they're capable of a certain flavor of sharp logic. I once had a student who was told by the professor that "maybe he just wasn't cut out for science" and he responded (to me, because I was on "his side" [<-the beauty of that, I tell you @TimeAsylums]) by ripping the prof's teaching methodology to shreds, which the bulk of the class (mostly xSxJ) laughed at and agreed with. Didn't attack the what, but the how.

Inferior Ne in an ISFJ is sort of like being overwhelmed by unknown possibilities.
Curling up in a ball and sobbing through despair, just like my ISFJ mother did when I failed my exams. Or when she put diesel in the petrol car hundreds of miles from home, she actually froze up and couldn’t handle it, but I was unperturbed (although it was a huge pain in the ass).
You're describing the feel bad side of ISFJ Fe-Ne loop, what about the feel good side?

Montresor

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm typing Stan based mostly on S9 E 12 "Trapped in the Closet"

A classic.

To me, Stan made a clear case for inferior Ni in this episode by failing to see the scenario through to the end, even though it was plainly obvious to the other characters what was going to happen.

In fact, he was not skeptical at all. He just jumped in headfirst and they made him their prophet, which was clearly a joke, as his storytelling skills (associated here with Ne possibly?) were pointedly pathetic.

He was so easily tricked that he couldn't possibly be an N type! haha?

Generally, he doesn't seem to have much in the way of intuitive prowess. I think Stan is the most Se type of everybody. Not much need to get into the stereotypical stuff like, say, the Denver Bronco allegiance or anything... but generally I find that Stan isn't really introspective, he just adapts to the moment and is impartial to almost everything.

He is generally very blunt and insightful, but plain and serious.

The way Wendy would make him puke, well, I don't really have an explanation for that, except possibly some flimsy form of Fe expression?

Stan is regularly called upon in the show to settle conflicts with external characters (Asspen, All about Mormons, etc) something which I would also associate with SP temperament, no?

I'm sticking with ESTP unless you disprove it. I have just made my official case.

dang

Local time
-->
I am a huge South Park fan. The season premiere is in September. For those who are familiar with South Park and MBTI, how would you type Eric Cartman? And how does his type explain his being such a little shit? Albeit a hilarious little shit. Can psychological deficiencies or personality disorders be accounted for with MBTI? Is Cartman a narcissist or a sociopath, or both? I would love to learn more about the inner dynamics of his personality. Let us explore the dark underbelly of this not so lovable loser. By the way, isn't he basically a future tyrant? And it also occurs to me that Cartman shares much in common with Trump. Would a president Trump be like Cartman with an excess of authority ("awthoritay")? Good lord we are fucked.

Top Bottom