• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Star Trek

QSR

Local time
Today 3:01 AM
-->
Let's talk Star Trek in this thread. I'm hoping to see it this week. It comes out tomorrow in the States.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 2:01 AM
-->
Finally! I am dieing to watch the new movie! I just recently started watching the old Star Trek episodes with William Shatner. They are really entertaining. What a coincidence the new movie of it is coming out too!

I heard even though everything looks a little different, the story will be exactly like the original.

EloquentBohemian

MysticDragon
Local time
Today 5:01 AM
-->
StarTrekBridge.jpg

...old show
...new cast member

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
For a min. I thought you meant the blonde because I can't recognise her.

Toad

Local time
-->
haha i think she is. Darth vader is in the background

QSR

Local time
-->
I think the blonde is Majel Barrett.

Amazing how much the new Spock looks like a younger Nimoy.

Thaklaar

Local time
Today 4:01 AM
-->
For a min. I thought you meant the blonde because I can't recognise her.
Hey now, Nurse Chapel was vital to the show and this had nothing to do with the fact she was doinking Roddenberry on the side.

Razare

Local time
-->
>.> Is it just me or do these people look like clones of the old cast?

Since it was such a popular show maybe the casts's DNA was stolen and clones were grown in some third world country, specifically reared to make this movie.

Red Mage

Local time
-->
>.> Is it just me or do these people look like clones of the old cast?

Since it was such a popular show maybe the casts's DNA was stolen and clones were grown in some third world country, specifically reared to make this movie.

Yeah, perfect clones. The main guy looks like a douche, the asian guy is asian, the guy with the pointy ears has thick eyebrows. Although, the scottish guy isn't fat.

mathy

Local time
-->
I just hope they don't overly "Hollywood-ize" the movie. There was a certain charm to the low budget special effects (not to mention the inability to completely rely on them to keep the audience entertained...). I guess I will find out this weekend.

I don't think the new cast really looks like the old one. Everybody's just a little bit too pretty.

Toad

Local time
-->
I just hope they don't overly "Hollywood-ize" the movie. There was a certain charm to the low budget special effects (not to mention the inability to completely rely on them to keep the audience entertained...). I guess I will find out this weekend.

I don't think the new cast really looks like the old one. Everybody's just a little bit too pretty.

Oh they Hollywood-ized it. They Hollywood-ized the shit out of it...and it is going to be fantastic! The fact that everybody is a bit too pretty makes it even better~!

Sapphire Harp

Local time
-->
I'm very interested in seeing this new film... It looks like they've shucked most of the traditions of how they do Star Trek... and it's definitely for the best, I think. There was something tiresome about the static personalities of the characters...

Also, I trust everyone has seen Star Trek Vs. Star Wars, DMP edition? Make sure you catch the final surprise... :D

Toad

Local time
-->
Yea. The way the revamped the franchise is going to bring in a whole new group of fans. Like me!

ArcusDog

Local time
-->
I didn't like the movie. It was just another mindless action flick, nothing special.

I'm not a hard core trekkie, but I am a fan. Old Spock is a hero but they made him all touchy-feely and emotional in the new movie. I now shun him.

The casting was poor for the most part, the awesome little things that are classic about Star Trek were thrown into this movie like cheap gimmicks, the music was never-ending generic crap, the science was questionable at best and entirely unexplained, the story line lacked depth and meaning, and Spock was "emotionally compromised."

Two thumbs down.

Toad

Local time
-->
This movie got excellent ratings from rotten tomatoes. Can' t wait to watch it.

QSR

Local time
-->
Saw it today, and it fucking sucked for an old-school ST and ST:TNG fan like myself. Just a bunch of action sequences spliced together between some ill-conceived and confusing plot (devoid of actual science.) This movie clearly missed the point of Star Trek, which has always been to make a commentary on present-day life. It's not Seinfeld in space, it's a morality play. This movie seemed to have no theme whatsoever. I did, however, think the actors did a fine job.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 10:01 AM
-->
/me won't watch it. Not only because of the movie itself, but also because after Nemesis i swore to ignore them in future...(How could they have killed Data?!!) :(
:p

Ogion

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Just saw it tonight, and I found the mention of Iowa on the screen (twice) to be particularly glorious. Everything else was okay.

mathy

Local time
-->
Saw it Sunday, and honestly I was expecting a lot worse (I tend to try not to get my hopes up for movies for this very reason). I probably won't watch it again, but it was somewhat entertaining (unlike Wolverine which my b/f dragged me to last weekend... blech--talk about a generic action flick).

At least it made me want to go back and watch the old series again!

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
I really liked it, but it did lack the philisophical underpinnings from the show. But I think it was a setup for a new franchise that I hope will get more thematically mature with future installments (that's probably too much to ask though).

QSR

Local time
-->
I really liked it, but it did lack the philisophical underpinnings from the show. But I think it was a setup for a new franchise that I hope will get more thematically mature with future installments (that's probably too much to ask though).

This is my hope... maybe they are going to fool people into coming back for the next movie and be surprised that it is actually about something. I kind of think they'll have to make it more meaningful in order to reel the old trekkers back in. I just hope they aren't looking at the box office and critical reception and thinking they've made the perfect movie.

mathy

Local time
-->
I second your hopes Noddy and QSR. I think it's possible, but I'm not too sure how probable. Unfortunately the masses probably don't want to think too hard in the theaters. :/

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Saw it today, and it fucking sucked for an old-school ST and ST:TNG fan like myself. Just a bunch of action sequences spliced together between some ill-conceived and confusing plot (devoid of actual science.) This movie clearly missed the point of Star Trek, which has always been to make a commentary on present-day life. It's not Seinfeld in space, it's a morality play. This movie seemed to have no theme whatsoever. I did, however, think the actors did a fine job.

^
This.

Kirk's blue eyes and Spock's excessive emo-ness bother me.
It did bring in a new generation of fans though, which is really nice.

~wooo~ I feel like I'm speaking to the past here. The second reboot movie wasn't that great either. Cumberbatch as Khan is just so weird, and again it's going more with action movie filled with extremely overdone 'parallels' to the originals, which feels disrespectful tbh..
And gosh the third one didn't make the biggest impression either; I didn't remember it existed until just now.
Black & white alien chick with force field protected hideout, Enterprise is completely destroyed in the first five minutes, Bones and Spock cursing????, Kirk on a motorcycle doing various stunts, ?? breaking the others out of an alien jail, that's all I really remember.

The Original series is my favorite.

I do love both Uhuras though :)

yes I'll reboot rusty ol' threads idc

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Not really sure why you resurrected an eight year old thread responding to some guy who hasn't been here for forever....

... but I actually really liked the first reboot movie.

The second one was pretty awful in how it cribbed from Wrath of Khan and kind of cheapened it. Abrams totally misread the audience there. I have little interest in a rewatch.

The third one was popcorn fluff -- okay while watching it, but nothing there that was really memorable (I have trouble remembering anything at this point) and might as well not even have been a Star Trek movie.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:01 PM
-->
It really feels like pandering to the 90s audience, the big battle where they played Beastie Boys in particular.

Top Bottom