• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:59 PM
-->
Hello,

It is the Testosterone levels that are reponsible for the Male's Thinking prowess statistically ahead of the Female of the species? Practically such advantages are negated by boozing on alcohol.
grey_loader.gif

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 2:59 PM
-->
Um....testosterone makes hair grow in places you wish it didn't. Other than that, I dunno.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
Today 2:59 PM
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
I read somewhere or other that 60% of Ts are men and 60% of Fs are female. (Can't remember where, sorry.) But I don't know if that's hormonal or built into the brain or a product of societal conditioning.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 11:59 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Like IB said, the only effect I can see from my estrogen is a female body. However, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the typical male competitive nature due to testosterone? That would amplify the thinking processes in many cases.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 8:59 PM
-->
allmighty Wikipedia said:
As testosterone affects the entire body (often by enlarging; men have bigger hearts, lungs, liver, etc.), the brain is also affected by this "sexual" advancement; the enzyme aromatase converts testosterone into estradiol that is responsible for masculinization of the brain in a male fetus.

There are some differences in a male and female brain (the result of different testosterone levels). A clear difference is the size: the male human brain is, on average, larger; however, in females (who generally do not have as high testosterone levels) the corpus callosum is proportionally larger. This means that the effect of testosterone is a greater overall brain volume, but a decreased connection between the hemispheres.[10]

A study conducted in 1996 found no immediate short term effects on mood or behavior from the administration of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone for 10 weeks on 43 healthy men.[11]

The literature suggests that attention, memory, and spatial ability are key cognitive functions affected by testosterone in humans. Preliminary evidence suggests that low testosterone levels may be a risk factor for cognitive decline and possibly for dementia of the Alzheimer’s type,[12] a key argument in Life Extension Medicine for the use of testosterone in anti-aging therapies. Much of the literature, however, suggests a curvilinear or even quadratic relationship between spatial performance and circulating testosterone,[13] where both hypo- and hypersecretion of circulating androgens have negative effects on cognition and cognitively-modulated aggressivity, as detailed above.

Contrary to what has been postulated in outdated studies and by certain sections of the media, aggressive behaviour is not typically seen in hypergonadal men who have their testosterone replaced adequately to the eugonadal/normal range. In fact aggressive behaviour has been associated with hypogonadism and low testosterone levels and it would seem as though supraphysiological and low levels of testosterone and hypogonadism cause mood disorders and aggressive behaviour, with eugondal/normal testosterone levels being important for mental well-being. Testosterone depletion is a normal consequence of aging in men. One consequence of this is an increased risk for the development of Alzheimer’s Disease (Pike et al, 2006, Rosario 2004).

Well, I am quite sure that testosterone is responsible for many things in our brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom