• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The advantages of conscientiousness

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:56 PM
-->
This forum is full of people who can but won't do. I'm one of them.

While conscientiousness is considered a personality trait, and therefore relatively stable, it can be fostered. It's something that takes effort even for those people who have it, though it takes them less effort to maintain.

I want it. But I'm not conscientious enough to change myself. So what I'm going to (at least try to) do is compile the various advantages that conscientiousness can unlock, and hopefully at some point the cost/benefit trade-off will be apparent enough to me that I'll cut the cord and improve somewhat.

So here's the first one: I'm big but you can read the bits that are relevant while ignoring 99%

Scheduling in distributed practice is a superior method of learning. It's almost a no-brainer. But it requires organisation and constant effort. It's an efficient method for those who can manage their time well. If I were conscientious enough I would have a much easier time with my education. The methods I currently use are short-sighted and quite frankly stupid to persist with.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:26 PM
-->
Hado, I'm not sure if this is applicable but marriage made me more open and conscientious.

I'm currently becoming more open to new stuff because one of the needs that marriage has is to have a variety of memorable experiences/hobbies with your wife. Marriage, after all, is eternal courtship. So that includes baking, cooking and programming (She's an R language user).

As for conscientiousness, I married a highly conscientious gal so my pride won't let me lose :P Also, my current status as husband requires me having my shit together. I'm the head of a family now so I have to act like it.

It's more of "I have new duties and I need to level up to face them" rather than "I must level up because of these perks". I do reserve the cost-benefit analysis for my new family's needs/ plans.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:26 PM
-->
All it should really take is cease laziness, which is a trait of INTPs usually. Didn't Architect more or less have it down? At what age or point in your maturity/growth would you expect it to be optimized or better? Were you even possibly better off back then before you were a teen or when you were a kid?
You probably need something to kick your ass. Not just grades or deadlines but maybe a serious situation that causes you to take more serious action. I think there isn't enough time in the day. Sometimes you might have to work with what you're given and make the best of it, or just be yourself.
Actually, it might just be about the hours sunk in. Turn the ego down, be bored, and remember it isn't always about physical sensations and pleasure. You shan't particularly run from the problem.
So you either talk too much or too little, you just can't win. All drugs like acid or meth do is make you think or feel you can be everywhere at once, in some strange realistic way, and meth will make you want to fix or tinker with objects all day, no one ever said they make you smarter but they'll offer up new perspectives, if you want, totally optional, though I don't recommend you do any drug, unless it's something like caffeine that could increase work output or motivation. It has been shown that amphetamines are actually more effective stimulants than caffeine.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 5:26 AM
-->
I will not procrastinate to read this thread

Stop procrastinating to read this thread.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 11:26 PM
-->
I want it. But I'm not conscientious enough to change myself.

Why preclude victory with such self-defeating thoughts? You are your worst enemy. All these techniques and rationalizations of why or why not this or that will be useless if you are still holding yourself back.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:56 PM
-->
@Kuu
I'm not precluding anything, I'm just recognising that I've been wanting to get better at this for a long time, and while I've had some victories, for the most part I'm still not far from where I started. This wasn't a statement of identity so much as as an acknowledgement of the cyclical nature of previous failures in this venture.

@Pizzabeak
I'm not really a fan of architect. I don't dislike him, but I don't relate to him, and see him as a little confused. I just find it weird how he's managed to convince a whole bunch of people over the internet about a whole bunch of stuff. It's cultish and feels icky that "independent thinker" INTPs take what he says without question. It's like you people are looking for a father figure or something.

@Erryone
This genuinely isn't me asking for advice. Criticism sure, and I'm open to discussion, but I'm pretty well read on this stuff, and think what you know about yourself probably won't be a better fit than what I know about myself. This thread is about me convincing myself in an openly public fashion. It's me experimenting with the transition between what I know abstractly, and turning that into what I know experentially.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:26 PM
-->
(...) It's cultish and feels icky that "independent thinker" INTPs take what he says without question. It's like you people are looking for a father figure or something.

Can't blame them. Forums such as ours attract young people with no where to go. It's kinda natural to look up to figures that they think have their best interests as heart.

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
Today 12:26 AM
-->
One either does a thing or not. If one has not done the thing, then to say that he "could" have done it is meaningless. It matters not whether he was impeded from doing so by corporeal barriers or psychological inhibitions (a distinction of mainly taxonomical significance, unless we're to entertain unfounded dualistic notions), still he did not do it. This indolent 'INTP' excuse of "oh, but I could do it so I don't have to prove that I can" is nonsense. Mill said that "the sole evidence it is possible to produce that anything is desirable is that people actually do desire it"; similarly, the sole evidence that one possesses this or that capability is the demonstration of that capability.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled programme of procrastination...:cat:

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:26 PM
-->
The thing about conscientiousness is that you do get things done and you are satisfied having everything in order, But because everything is in order, it is hard for you to try out new things. Creativity (creating stuff) requires trying out a whole lot of new ways of doing things. With conscientiousness, everything is already settled and trying new things is disruptive to that. To become more conscientious is to give up a little bit of creativity. To settle things rather than try new things. I have trouble trying/coming up with new things, I feel everything needs to be ordered. I wrote somewhere about the creativity loop the puts stuff together. I do not have that. It is the new vs ordered way of doing stuff. I am somewhat stuck in ordering things.

Top Bottom