• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

the joker

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:57 AM
-->
who looks foward to it

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
I'll watch it if it's not reviewed as a bomb. I don't have high hopes though.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
Today 1:57 AM
-->
I'll watch it, though I can't tell from the trailer whether I will like it or not.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:57 PM
-->
Just saw it, great movie.

The first 2/3 of the movie is hard to watch but the ending is pure payoff.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
Just saw it, great movie.

The first 2/3 of the movie is hard to watch but the ending is pure payoff.

Definitely was less unpredictable than I imagined after seeing the trailer.

What did you like/dislike about it?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:57 PM
-->
After the movie a friend of mine remarked that I seemed quite uncomfortable through much of the movie and assumed I didn't like it whereas on the contrary I thought it was fantastic precisely because it made me so uncomfortable.

I'm glad I saw it and quite sure I'm never going to see it again.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
After the movie a friend of mine remarked that I seemed quite uncomfortable through much of the movie and assumed I didn't like it whereas on the contrary I thought it was fantastic precisely because it made me so uncomfortable.

I'm glad I saw it and quite sure I'm never going to see it again.

The same happened to me actually, and I feel similarly.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I dont know if I really want to watch it. I know it has gotten some good reviews, but its probably one of those movies where a guy has a bad day and he breaks down and it goes all the way through the movie.

Tenacity

Local time
-->
I dont know if I really want to watch it. I know it has gotten some good reviews, but its probably one of those movies where a guy has a bad day and he breaks down and it goes all the way through the movie.

It ends up being a bit more than that. There is adequate reasoning throughout. I thought similarly. Read reviews from critics that were not good and didn't have high expectations going into it, but afterwards would still say it was worth watching.

If anything, see it with your preferred extravert sidekick instead of some other social outing that is less fun.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
its good, but i still want to see Jim carrey play as Joker.

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 7:57 AM
-->

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
Today 12:57 AM
-->
I have had trouble in making a final judgement about it. I think it stems from not knowing the intentions of the creators of the film. Should I see this as something purely observational, like something that could mirror reality, or are the writers trying to convey some sort of message. Likely it's a variation of both, but I can't parse when they are and are not. Depending on that, I either think this is a okay movie without a message, or a dangerous movie that's just trying to be edgy. Then there is always the cop out of "It's just a DC film setting up the universe" but it's impact is all the same.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have had trouble in making a final judgement about it. I think it stems from not knowing the intentions of the creators of the film. Should I see this as something purely observational, like something that could mirror reality, or are the writers trying to convey some sort of message. Likely it's a variation of both, but I can't parse when they are and are not. Depending on that, I either think this is a okay movie without a message, or a dangerous movie that's just trying to be edgy. Then there is always the cop out of "It's just a DC film setting up the universe" but it's impact is all the same.

society and human nature create psychopaths and terrorists.

Tenacity

Local time
-->

There was a large group of police officers around when I had went, signaling the fact that the news climate has been tense in regards to the influence of mass media.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

There was a large group of police officers around when I had went, signaling the fact that the news climate has been tense in regards to the influence of mass media.

watching joker makes you a psychopath is like watching hannibal makes you a cannibal.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
-->
I either think this is a okay {Text}movie without a message, or a dangerous movie that's just trying to be edgy.

The more I hear other peoples opinion about it, the more "woke" I assume I am. Maybe this is a good movie for society to see, the establishment probably doesn't want you to see it, but for me, it's preaching to the choir. Yes, people are a product of their environment, and will retaliate when attacked or rejected by it, but then what? That's what I mean when I say it doesn't have a message.
Every single one of A. Fleck's support systems failed, and to be honest, he's been alone his entire life, if you exclude his decrepit mother, which by the end of the film you must. What is someone to do in circumstance like Flecks? The movies answer is dangerous. What was the source of all the mess that happened in the movie? The way the movie is presented, it seems like a lot of people share the blame, including the mentally ill. It's convoluted, because it mirrors reality, or because politics?
I suppose it doesn't matter because we all take the art and make it mean whatever the fuck we want, but the questions I wrote and the answers society as a whole would have for them, really would say a lot about society.

Kormak

Local time
-->
e_e its a publicity stunt man. The media talks shit and ppl go see the movie. The edgier the movie the more the media can talk shit and the ratings form MSM & the movie go up.
Its the same thing as with Trump. They talk about it, because it brings clicks and clicks = money.

Uh uh muh huwite man sociopath! Click on my article and watch my vid plox :moneymouth:

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
-->
A publicity stunt? Orchestrated by whom? The "media?" I don't know what the media has to do with personal opinion but w/e. News outlets we're certain there would be at least one shooting, and decried the violence in this R rated film. It depicts class struggle and mental illness, of course they would talk shit about it. The only other people shitting on it were huwite (probably upper class) reviewers or people that were upset with it's portrayal of race, illness and Joker's whiteness. It definitely exploits some of those things, but it does good by at least putting other themes in the forefront of pop-culture. I can be cynical too, but I don't think we should dismiss it on the grounds that everyone is trying to maximize profit.

Kormak

Local time
-->
A publicity stunt? Orchestrated by whom? The "media?" I don't know what the media has to do with personal opinion but w/e. News outlets we're certain there would be at least one shooting, and decried the violence in this R rated film.

Its what the media always does with anything newsworthy. They live off sponsors and clicks. The more eyes on the article or video, the more money they make. e_e so they embellish, exaggerate and create mountains out of molehills for money.

It depicts class struggle and mental illness, of course they would talk shit about it. The only other people shitting on it were huwite (probably upper class) reviewers or people that were upset with it's portrayal of race, illness and Joker's whiteness. It definitely exploits some of those things, but it does good by at least putting other themes in the forefront of pop-culture. I can be cynical too, but I don't think we should dismiss it on the grounds that everyone is trying to maximize profit.

I think the movie is gr8 as well. Best movie in a long while. The media outcry, however, exists to pull eyeballs to their articles and make money. I'm not being cynical, if you'd make youtube vids for $, you'd understand the process.

moody

Local time
Yesterday 10:57 PM
-->
If it's done well, I'd probably like it...but from the safety of my own abode, thank-you-very-much. There have been more shootings (than usual..) this last year or so, and there's already been a theater shooting with a crazy dressed as the joker, obviously claiming an identity with the character. I don't think a backstory that romanticizes the joker is a good campaign angle for mental-health-awareness. It's actually a terrible angle. Becoming a mass-murdered to express your pain is NOT a good message to send struggling people.

Pretty sick of the movie industry just paying for rights of already-popular-franchisees instead of using their money to produce new, creative ideas. Don't some people consider film an art?

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
-->
I'm thinking that is my qualm with it. It's like a double edged sword if you ask me. It calls society out for marginalizing the mentally ill, but then again, the fucking Joker shouldn't be the poster child for the mentally ill, but then again it shows how someones thoughts and circumstance could lead one to do acts of violence, but then again (last time), Joker's intentions are not to be hailed as a figure head of a revolt, all his kills were on impulse. Not premeditated and attention seeking like all these shootings, but then (I lied) again it shows how those who are marginalized will gravitate to those that acknowledge and embrace them, it doesn't matter who they are, humans don't want to be alone.

In any case, Hollywood only cares about shit that will make them fucking bank. The artistic aesthetics have been relegated to everything seen and heard in a film (if we're lucky). The decisions on what gets made and how, has long since been in the hands of business people with deep pockets. A movie as expensive as they are to produce are already risky investments, and they probably wouldn't stick their necks out for a new IP. The best we can hope for now is that people will get tired of all the old IPs they've been cycling through for years now and actually push the art forward.

Kormak

Local time
-->
I'm thinking that is my qualm with it. It's like a double edged sword if you ask me. It calls society out for marginalizing the mentally ill, but then again, the fucking Joker shouldn't be the poster child for the mentally ill, but then again it shows how someones thoughts and circumstance could lead one to do acts of violence, but then again (last time), Joker's intentions are not to be hailed as a figure head of a revolt, all his kills were on impulse. Not premeditated and attention seeking like all these shootings, but then (I lied) again it shows how those who are marginalized will gravitate to those that acknowledge and embrace them, it doesn't matter who they are, humans don't want to be alone.

"The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth"

In any case, Hollywood only cares about shit that will make them fucking bank.

Bingo.

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 6:57 AM
-->
I liked it. That people are a result of environment and genes, neither of which they can control... yeah, it's old news. However, it is not straightforward for an artist to make you feel that.

I don't think the point of the movie is to educate people, but man sabotaging a society that rejects him is an archetype we can relate to. It makes a good villain origin story.

The acting was fantastic. Joaquin Phoenix might be the greatest actor of our time? Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger must be a tough act (huhuh) to follow.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If it's done well, I'd probably like it...but from the safety of my own abode, thank-you-very-much. There have been more shootings (than usual..) this last year or so, and there's already been a theater shooting with a crazy dressed as the joker, obviously claiming an identity with the character. I don't think a backstory that romanticizes the joker is a good campaign angle for mental-health-awareness. It's actually a terrible angle. Becoming a mass-murdered to express your pain is NOT a good message to send struggling people.

Pretty sick of the movie industry just paying for rights of already-popular-franchisees instead of using their money to produce new, creative ideas. Don't some people consider film an art?

fuck, so does watching hannibal makes you want to eat and cannibalize people? there are alot of movies potraying sick people and psychopaths.

the message is that there is something wrong with society rather than with individuals, which is open to debate.

moody

Local time
Yesterday 10:57 PM
-->
fuck, so does watching hannibal makes you want to eat and cannibalize people? there are alot of movies potraying sick people and psychopaths.

the message is that there is something wrong with society rather than with individuals, which is open to debate.

Touche, got me there. But to reassure you, no, I do not feel the need to become a cannibal by watching Hannibal.

I forget that the non-Americans might not know what I'm referring to:
My concern comes from a mass shooting that happened in 2012 inside a movie theater. It happened in Colorado; a guy dressed as the joker went to the premiere of "The Dark Knight Rises," and in the middle of the movie, he took out a gun and just started shooting everyone. 12 people died, and 58 were badly injured.

A lot of families of the victims are upset about the production of the movie. So I guess you have nothing to worry about it you're outside the US, but I will certainly not be seeing it in theaters.

Here's one of the news stories on it:

And one of recent about the Joker movie:

Marbles

What would Feynman do?
Local time
Today 6:57 AM
-->
Social control moderates art - political correctness, sexual modesty, solidarity... If art rebels too openly against these values, the artist may be facing a lynch mob. The question isn't whether people are influenced by movies, we all think there should be limits to what cinemas run? The question is where the balance between artistic liberty and censorship lies, and which parts of the human condition should be censored.

Violent revenge of the downtrodden... I'd cheer on the whimpy kid who finally stands up to his bully, bashing his nose in. He can't win the fight. The bully knows that, which is why the whimp is a victim in the first place. But if the whimp is willing to go nuclear, it might not be worth picking on him.

Every single person I have ever known abuses weakness, intentionally or instinctually - it permeates society. How much more prominent would this be, if the individual wasn't willing to sabotage an abusive tribe throughout human evolution? It is in our genes to not push people too hard, even if they are far beneath us hierarchically, cause they might just burn the village down.

So some villages burn, but the tribe is less abusive.

Let me emphasize that I do not condone mass shootings - of course not. But the sabotaging whimp could be a very important archetype for the formation of a solidary society, because he enforces a severe cost to abuse of the weak. That is fascinating, and a little comforting, I think.

Top Bottom